Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
This is not intended as a bashing thread. We have all had rounds where it felt like our first.



But I thought pros had some level of constistency cracked.



Ric hit 41 over for 3 rounds in a pro am on a 6300 yard course.

The winner was +2.



How does a pro unravel like that?
Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
ping anser
Titleist sm6 50 +54
Cleveland 60
«13456716

Comments

  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,661 ✭✭
    Probably testing some clubs.
  • DixieDDixieD Members Posts: 158
    Is that Rick's score or his team score? If that is his personal score, ****, he should never be seen on the tube again!
  • DBillDBill Members Posts: 1,107 ✭✭
    If only he signed a deal with Titleist, then complained about manufacturers not sending new equipment to test, he probably would have won.
  • Cornwall1888Cornwall1888 Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2018 #5
    He’s simply not very good, that’s why he makes money from YouTube and sponsors, not playing golf. He’s probably a 2 or 3 handicap who had a terrible week



    He shot 88 in the first round!!!!



    pete finch faired much better, he was +2 in round 1 i believe



    There must be a lot of pressure and embarrassment shooting scores like that when your supposed to be an authority on golf and have a huge audience, he’s probably more well known than most European tour players



    Good youtube videos, decent coach, tournament golf not so much


    DBill wrote:


    If only he signed a deal with Titleist, then complained about manufacturers not sending new equipment to test, he probably would have won.




    Mark is very petty isn’t he haha
  • StumpnavStumpnav Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    I think Rick spends most of his time at the range using his launch monitor and not enough on the course. He knows how to play swing but not how to play golf. Doesn't diminish his instructional ability or the enjoyment of his channel.
    Epic 9.0 T800
    Epic 3W
    Epic Heavenwood
    (or Callaway UT XForged 18*)
    Callaway XForged 4-6
    Callaway MB 7-A
    Callaway MD Forged 56, 60
    Odyssey RSX001
    Chrome Soft X 18
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,402 ClubWRX
    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    DixieD wrote:


    Is that Rick's score or his team score? If that is his personal score, ****, he should never be seen on the tube again!


    His score.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.




    I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • mosesgolfmosesgolf Members Posts: 6,833 ✭✭
    Hmmm. He talked about a recent round at TPC Sawgrass and shot a pretty good score. It must have been snow with 30mph winds for him to shoot that score. image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />
    Taylormade M1 9.5 661 Tour Spec Stiff
    Taylormade M1 3 Wood 15 Kuro Kage Stiff
    Taylormade RBZ 18 Altus Stiff
    Adams Peanut 24* Altus Stiff
    Taylormade PSI Tour DGS300 Stiff 5-PW
    Taylormade Tour Preferred 52 56 60
    Taylormade SI Spider 72 38
  • Merkury10Merkury10 Members Posts: 140 ✭✭
    All pros can have a stinker like that. We just aren’t watching them on Sunday. They either missed the cut or played the early tee time not televised. I agree with what was said earlier. I suspect he spends the majority of his time in the hitting bay and not out trying to shoot low scores. Rory 5 putted this weekend, and he’s no Rory. But I bet he is a good guy!
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Merkury10 wrote:


    All pros can have a stinker like that. We just aren’t watching them on Sunday. They either missed the cut or played the early tee time not televised. I agree with what was said earlier. I suspect he spends the majority of his time in the hitting bay and not out trying to shoot low scores. Rory 5 putted this weekend, and he’s no Rory. But I bet he is a good guy!




    Im sure hes a good guy. I enjoy his material, been a subscriber for ages. Ive also played many of the courses he posts vlogs from, which makes it even more interesting.

    As i said its not a bash, just surprised and disappointed for the guy.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,402 ClubWRX
    Londoner wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.




    I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.




    Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"
  • flog2flog2 Members Posts: 2,161
    get em next time Rick (sp OP)



    Wonder if he'll qualify for the Open this year or not?
  • OutlierOutlier OUTLIER Members Posts: 1,194
    Really enjoy his review videos, he appears to have a serviceable swing. A "stinker" round happens....but to average 14 over on the same course 3 consecutive days surprises me.
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,402 ClubWRX


    get em next time Rick (sp OP)



    Wonder if he'll qualify for the Open this year or not?




    LOL.
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,828 ✭✭
    Maybe he was out with the hickories....it can be tough 1st time out!
    Vintage various.
  • 03trdblack03trdblack ClubWRX Posts: 1,833 ClubWRX
    Outlier wrote:


    Really enjoy his review videos, he appears to have a serviceable swing. A "stinker" round happens....but to average 14 over on the same course 3 consecutive days surprises me.




    Serviceable swing but his chipping and putting are pretty bad. He's a driving range pro that lives on the GCQuad instead of on the practice green.
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War Members Posts: 2,725 ✭✭
    now i am really worried about all the internet swing gurus...so many of them creep up from everywhere and off we go with their latest craze.
    Cobra LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/F7M3/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Cobra Fly Z  Pro Irons Modus 120x SSx2 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    Machine LN M6
  • mdhacker123mdhacker123 Members Posts: 700 ✭✭
    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives
    driver callaway xhot 2 8.5 S
    irons: callaway xhot 2 4-aw
    Hybrid: Baffler 19deg
    3wood callaway xhot
    putter: Ping scottsdale 2
    wedges: taylormade atv 52 56
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Londoner wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.




    I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.




    Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"




    I dont know how else to say it. I like Ric, its not a bash.

    It's just that in my experience lower handicap usually equates to more consistency. Thats the question.

    Ric played to 17 handicap on each of the 1st 2 days. One of my regular playing partners, for 20 years, plays off 7. Ive never seen him play to 17.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭


    Rick 100% has a vanity cap. He plays terribly in a lot of his vlogs. He said he had a great back 9 at sawgrass and had 4 birdies, but in his video he didn' make a single putt. Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water. He also got an 8 on 18.


    I saw that vlog and i agree, the video certainly didnt support the dialogue.
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,769 ✭✭
    Could anyone look at his videos and imagine he’s a good player? He has decent clubhead speed and a reasonably repeatable swing, no short game and doesn’t putt well. He’s like a longer hitting version of a bunch of 5-6 handicappers I play with.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • LondonerLondoner Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭


    Could anyone look at his videos and imagine he’s a good player? He has decent clubhead speed and a reasonably repeatable swing, no short game and doesn’t putt well. He’s like a longer hitting version of a bunch of 5-6 handicappers I play with.


    I agree with that North but have you seen the 5-6 guys you play with score +17 in consecutive rounds, on a 6,300 yard track?
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 9,769 ✭✭
    Londoner wrote:



    Could anyone look at his videos and imagine he’s a good player? He has decent clubhead speed and a reasonably repeatable swing, no short game and doesn’t putt well. He’s like a longer hitting version of a bunch of 5-6 handicappers I play with.


    I agree with that North but have you seen the 5-6 guys you play with score +17 in consecutive rounds, on a 6,300 yard track?




    Maybe on their worst week of the year. Maybe.
    Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Members Posts: 956 ✭✭
    He should have had RPryor on the bag to give him tips and advice.
    PING G30 9.5 [font=arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(255, 255, 0)]Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff[/background][/font]
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    Wilson Staff C300 Hybrid 23 Fujikura Pro78 Stiff
    Irons TBD.
    RTX-3 50 bent to 51 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    RTX-3 60 bent to 59 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Cameron 009
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,402 ClubWRX
    Londoner wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:

    Londoner wrote:

    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    On vacation with his family, little or no play or practice in winter, not all that surprising. I'll bet anyone he played with had a great time.




    I understand all that but my pal plays off 1 and has a day job. I can't see him scoring like that.




    Okay, so is this or isn't it a bash? Your responses haven't really seemed to provide much in the way of support. Let's have a "get 'em next time, Rick!"




    I dont know how else to say it. I like Ric, its not a bash.

    It's just that in my experience lower handicap usually equates to more consistency. Thats the question.

    Ric played to 17 handicap on each of the 1st 2 days. One of my regular playing partners, for 20 years, plays off 7. Ive never seen him play to 17.




    I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.



    I would bet if it was June-August you'd see more consistency, but he's not grinding practice during the winter and hardly has decent conditions to play in back home.



    Now are there teaching pros I know who can play a lot better than that even though hardly playing? You bet.



    Still say he's on vacation (he took the wife and kids), totally rusty and hasn't put in any real work since probably early November, if that.



    I don't have any expectations for him, though I enjoy him, so I guess it's not an issue for me.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Man, I've always loved Rick as person and internet personality. He's very charming and fun, and is super easy to watch for 20 minutes at a time. His reviews are quality. But I was wondering if a thread like this was going to pop up. Saw him tweet that he finished "dead last", and just was shocked. Maybe he would have done better playing with only a 7-iron the whole time?




    Says he got a par on 17 but his first putt might have gone in the water.




    Glad I'm not the only one that caught that. Walking off the green he said "We made 4 good pars there," when his first putt was just pounded way past the hole. I really have a hard time believing he made his comeback putt for par.



    But as far as his tournament score goes, in his defense, he has been doing different types of club reviews now. Every practice round he's had recently he has switched drivers between the front and back 9's. Out of 5-6 rounds, he's used at least 3 different drivers. Probably hard to get consistency off the tee when you're swapping between so many different clubs.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.




    Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).



    pQfbN8U.png



    Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,976 ✭✭
    jacobEDGE wrote:
    Hawkeye77 wrote:


    I don't get how some are suggesting vanity cap, whatever handicap he has is taken from the comps he plays in (not sure this one would count for his system) and he's posted up his scores in the area tournaments he's played in, so whatever handicap he has should be legit.




    Well in his intro video before the tournament began, he claimed he doesn't even have a handicap, because he's a Pro. (Which doesn't even make any sense).



    pQfbN8U.png



    Also, when looking up "Shiels" on GHIN's website, nothing comes up. So maybe he actually doesn't hold a handicap for some odd reason?


    Alot pros dont
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

    LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

    S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

    Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
«13456716
Sign In or Register to comment.