We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Wisconsin Golf Trip

DBake ·  
DBakeDBake Graham, WA 972WRX Points: 102Members Posts: 972
Erin Hills and Sand Valley

or

Whistling Straits and Blackwolf
Posted:
Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 16.5*, Ping Tour 90X
Ping Crossover G 19*, Ping Tour 90X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 52*10, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Red

Comments

• jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left FL 3374WRX Points: 237ClubWRX Posts: 3,374
    Erin hills and sand valley. Add lawsonia links. Easy call here.
    Posted:
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 CB S300, 718 AP2 4i, S300
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    SC Tour Newport // SC 009 //Byron DH89
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent  1052WRX Points: 482Members Posts: 1,052
    How long do you have?

I haven't played Sand Valley (yet) but all 4 of the Kohler courses are excellent. Straits gets all the press, the but the other three are really good too.

Erin Hills is also excellent and is only 90 minutes-ish from Kohler so depending on where you are staying you could hit Erin Hills and all the Kohler courses in one trip.
    Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• exgolfproexgolfpro  814WRX Points: 134Members Posts: 814
    Boy, what a tough call. My favorite course on the planet is Erin Hills, so of your choices, I would say Erin Hills and Sand Valley (Mammoth Dunes). But like a previous post said, Erin is actually pretty close to Kohler, so can hit Erin, BWR and Straits. Plus if you play one American Club course, you can get a reduced rate on any other American Club course if played the same day.
    Posted:
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25148WRX Points: 2,125ClubWRX Posts: 25,148
    This is like asking Kate Upton or Priyanka Chopra. You just can't go wrong.

With that said, playing something inland and then the Straits course is a great combination of scenery.
    Posted:
  • dcmidnightdcmidnight  12383WRX Points: 1,591Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,383
    On my EH/WS trip, Erin Hills was far and away my favorite. Its definitely an easy drive though, so you could hit those on the same trip with no problems.

I still want to get out to Sand Valley at some point soon though.
    Posted:
    M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
    You go to whistling for the views. She’s sure hot. Just zero brains and substance.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area. 25148WRX Points: 2,125ClubWRX Posts: 25,148
    jerebear21 wrote:

You go to whistling for the views. She's sure hot. Just zero brains and substance.

Wow...tough crowd!
    Posted:
  • Lefty96Lefty96  243WRX Points: 173Members Posts: 243
    I'd go with sand valley/Erin Hills. Play both courses at sand valley. They are both amazing in their own ways. Make sure to play the par 3 course. It is an absolute blast. However, it is a 2.5 hour drive from sand valley to Erin Hills.. Its less than 90 minutes from whistling.. Just a thought to keep in mind.
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip
    DavePelz4 wrote:

jerebear21 wrote:

You go to whistling for the views. She's sure hot. Just zero brains and substance.

Wow...tough crowd!

Ok ok. 17 and 18 at the straits are world class. I’ll give you that. =)
    Posted:
  • mci711mci711 Chicago 1396WRX Points: 401Members Posts: 1,396
    Erin Hills is the best course in Wisconsin in my opinion. I would play Erin Hills and Whistling straits like someone else mentioned. Best of both worlds. But if you can't do that then hit Sand Valley. Haven't played mammoth yet, but looks unreal.

I could make the argument that Erin Hills is the best public course I have ever played.
    Posted:
  • thechief16thechief16 Hits it left and left of left  2573WRX Points: 481Members Posts: 2,573
    dcmidnight wrote:

On my EH/WS trip, Erin Hills was far and away my favorite. Its definitely an easy drive though, so you could hit those on the same trip with no problems.

I still want to get out to Sand Valley at some point soon though.

Same/same.

Let's put it this way: I'm in no rush to get back WS/BWR. But I really want to get to SV and there is no way I will ever go through Milwaukee and not play EH.
    Posted:
    M5
    Steelhead
    Red
    Apex Pro Smoke '19
    SM6 52F
    MD4 58X
    IN-74

Advertisement
    mci711 wrote:

Erin Hills is the best course in Wisconsin in my opinion. I would play Erin Hills and Whistling straits like someone else mentioned. Best of both worlds. But if you can't do that then hit Sand Valley. Haven't played mammoth yet, but looks unreal.

I could make the argument that Erin Hills is the best public course I have ever played.

We finally agree on something!

Erin Hills is the hot chick with all the substances. But from a value point of view lawsonia is the best bang for the buck in all the land. Bethpage would probably be king of value but those 6 hour rounds can be dreadful.
    Posted:
  • Waterball6Waterball6  161WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 161
    Can't go wrong with either. They are basically totally different but amazing in their own ways.

If you're looking for exclusively golf and nothing else, I'd do SV/EH.

Kohler has a little bit more to do besides golf.
    Posted:
  • DBakeDBake Graham, WA 972WRX Points: 102Members Posts: 972
    Thanks guys, having been Bandon dunes I think the Erin Hills/Sand Valley is going to be the ticket. The two par 3's, punch bowl and pub make the trip all come together, from what I can tell the EH/SV would feel the same.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
    Ping Crossover G 16.5*, Ping Tour 90X
    Ping Crossover G 19*, Ping Tour 90X
    Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
    Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 52*10, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
    Snell MTB Red
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6355WRX Points: 1,002Members Posts: 6,355
    DBake wrote:

Erin Hills and Sand Valley

or

Whistling Straits and Blackwolf

Erin Hills and Whistling Straits. Hands down.

EH and WS are in a totally different league. Sand Valley is fun, but not even close to the quality of WS and EH.
    Posted:
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6355WRX Points: 1,002Members Posts: 6,355
    exgolfpro wrote:

Boy, what a tough call. My favorite course on the planet is Erin Hills, so of your choices, I would say Erin Hills and Sand Valley (Mammoth Dunes). But like a previous post said, Erin is actually pretty close to Kohler, so can hit Erin, BWR and Straits. Plus if you play one American Club course, you can get a reduced rate on any other American Club course if played the same day.

Mammoth Dunes wouldn't make my top 10 in Wis.

EH and WS are clearly in a league of their own and way above Sand Valley.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Billy__BarooBilly__Baroo Well...we're waiting!  123WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 123
    I'd definitely do Erin Hills and Sand Valley. If you're looking for a few extra rounds, and depending on where you're coming from, Sentryworld or Lawsonia would be great additions as well. I'm assuming you're not doing Kohler and Erin due to the cost, but if that's not an issue, EH and all of the Kohler courses would be an awesome trip! Could toss The Bull in there as well.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8 10.5* w/ Motore Speeder TS 7.3
    Titleist TS2 18* w/ HZRDUS Smoke
    PXG 0317 22* w/ ADDI
    Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW w/ KBS S-Taper
    Mizuno MP-T5 52* 56* 60* w/ S400 TI
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9438WRX Points: 786Members Posts: 9,438
    The Straits is an awesome course. The River course is a good change up. Irish is quality as well. Can play Lawsonia still.

EH is one repetitive hole after the other, you'll think you just played 6 holes three times each and Sand Valley is like hitting shots on a football field, with all the equivalent stress (ie none) on the shots.

Those may be over-simplified views.
    Posted:
  • PureGolf313PureGolf313  67WRX Points: 33Members Posts: 67
    I have said it before and will say it again, there are two excellent courses in the lake arrowhead community right outside the gate of sand valley if you are looking for some afternoon rounds. If you have any questions about the Rome WI area I have a lakehouse five minutes away from Sand Valley in Lake Arrowhead so I know the area well. https://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/
    Posted:
  • vallygolfvallygolf  498WRX Points: 93Members Posts: 498
    Serenity, off the beaten path man vs nature vs golf experience.... EH and Sand Valley

Best of modern earth moving commercialized touristy great golf with an eyepopping price tag....WS and BWR

Having taken both trips if I had ten trips I would do 7 trips EH and Sand Valley, 3 trips EH/BWR....Yes I will skip WS on future visits. Too contrived. Not my cup of tea, but enjoyed my round. Liked BWR River better.
    Posted:
  • duffer987duffer987 I'm oot. Canadian in California 9438WRX Points: 786Members Posts: 9,438
    ^I always forget how incredibly affordable EH is. It's like my local muni, at city rates :-p
    Posted:

Advertisement
    duffer987 wrote:

The Straits is an awesome course. The River course is a good change up. Irish is quality as well. Can play Lawsonia still.

EH is one repetitive hole after the other, you'll think you just played 6 holes three times each and Sand Valley is like hitting shots on a football field, with all the equivalent stress (ie none) on the shots.

I was waiting for you to come in and defend that landmine you call a great course. =p
    Posted:
    jerebear21 wrote:

duffer987 wrote:

I was waiting for you to come in and defend that landmine you call a great course. =p

Speaking of landmines (OK those were battleship shells), I've been to Pointe du Hoc and there is a resemblance between the two ;-)
    Posted:
  • DoubleorQuitsDoubleorQuits  390WRX Points: 46Members Posts: 390
    I would go Erin Hills and WS. The Sand Valley courses are great, but the reality is you can play these courses in OR, Canada, FL, NE and other places, while EH and Kohler are unique it WI.

Traveling to every C&C, Doad, Kidd resort is like eating at Hard Rock Cafe in every city you visit.
    Posted:

I would go Erin Hills and WS. The Sand Valley courses are great, but the reality is you can play these courses in OR, Canada, FL, NE and other places, while EH and Kohler are unique it WI.

Traveling to every C&C, Doad, Kidd resort is like eating at Hard Rock Cafe in every city you visit.

I get what you are saying... But no one is going to pass up playing Bandon because Cabot and Streamsong (which I'm assuming are the resorts you are referring to) exist and vice versa. It is more like eating at every top steakhouse in said city, quite the difference. I guess the same argument could be made about Straits - play one Dye-obilical Dye course you've played them all? I don't believe that, but that is along the lines of your argument.
    Posted:
  • Lefty96Lefty96  243WRX Points: 173Members Posts: 243
    I think possibly the most impressive thing about the sand valley resort is that it is in the middle of central wisconsin. Once you enter that gate it feels like you just got off a plane in another part of the country. I would choose the sand valley trip because I think the courses are more fun to play. However, you should make sure to do both trips at least once because the Kohler courses are truly amazing as well. (Also make sure to play the arrowhead courses if you have the time because they are both kept in amazing shape and are quality layouts)
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Subzero 9*/Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    XR 16 15* 3w/fukijura 565 Stiff
    Adams Red 18*/Matrix altus Stiff
    4-PW 718 AP3/AMT tour white Stiff
    50* cleveland RTX 2.0 (10* bounce)
    56* cleveland RTX 2.0 (12* bounce)
    60* cleveland RTX 2.0 (6* bounce)
    Odyssey O-Works #9 with Garsen Ultimate grip

Advertisement
  • rich srich s  861WRX Points: 606Members Posts: 861
    I live here and still don't know which to pick. There is not a course in WI that has better view than WS. Its absolutely breath taking. If I could only play one course for the rest of my life it would be WS no question.
    Posted:
    I honestly don't get the hate for Whistling Straits. Like I said before, I prefer Erin Hills, but WS is one of the best public courses in the country. It is overly penal for hackers, with bunkers and trouble in places that will only punish them, I get that. But it is a great walk, and the only hole that i feel doesn't belong is #6. People that hate on it would never turn down a round though.
    Posted:
    there's no hate; the OP stated what the options were. If those options were presented at the same time then you pick one over the other. It's an easy call to pick EH/SV over WS.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • snpcrk121snpcrk121  118WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 118
    Just do them all! Here was our itinerary.

Day 1: Fly to ORD early, drive to SV, play 36, drive to Whistling

Day 2: 36 at Whistling Straits

Day 3: 36 at Whistling Straits

Day 4: Drive to Erin Hills, play 18, drive to ORD

Good bit of driving but we weren't sure if or when our next trip up there would be!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.