What ever happened to Scratch Golf?

13»

Comments

• thesaxemachinethesaxemachine Hello, friends... Members Posts: 433 ✭✭
    EZ-1s were the first "real" set of clubs I bought when I took up the game about 10 years ago. Wanted something different so when they popped up on a local classified I did a bit of research and grabbed them. Sold them after a couple of seasons but they were sweet and (sometimes) regret not holding on to them.
    Rogue SZ w/ Tour AD GP
    M1 w/ Diamana Thump
    GAPR w/ KBS Tour Proto
    Srixon Z-765 w/ PX LZ
    Vokey 46° 50° 54°
    Hi-Toe 58°
    Bobby Grace Tour Diamond 3
  • tbccgolfertbccgolfer tbccgolfer Members Posts: 81 ✭✭
    I use to love to stop in their shop in Berkley and browse...never did buy a set of their irons but wish I had!!
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 205 ✭✭
    I've seen these in the past and never had the urge to try one. Just happen to have a spot for a 56* in my bag and found this today.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • tssgj65tssgj65 Members Posts: 60
    I think the best way to tell the short version of the story is, it is VERY hard to compete with the big boys in the golf equipment industry. I started Scratch with Jeff McCoy at 23 years old with a $10k investment in my garage and we grew it to a multi million dollar company that changed the way companies offer customization to their customers. We did a ton of things amazingly well but made a few mistakes along the way which as a small company without deep pockets you just can't do. In the end the company was taken over by an investor who has done nothing with it that I know of. I'm very proud of my work at Scratch and have very fond memories of all we did there.

Thanks for the two wedges that were made for me at the 2010 Sr. Open. Those were great wedges. Customization was a tremendous feature!
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭
    Payton1020 wrote:

tdk8180 wrote:

Payton1020 wrote:

tdk8180 wrote:

I dont think Scratch ever seen an avg golfer on a budget...I have never met a golfer with scratch irons that made less than 120K per yr.

I get a haircut at a salon. I pay 60 bucks. A master stylist cuts my hair to perfection. I dont have any friends that do that. Some dont have the hair to justify it. Some just dont care. Some wont pay it.

image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />

These are the, sort of, posts that give WRX a bad name amongst we commoners.

The only people that I, personally, know that play or have played Scratch irons are 1, a handicapped asst Pro at a local muni, who's lucky if he makes 30K a year and 2, a former Scratch employee who made no where near 120k a year. Rock and Roll lifestyle eventually catches up to us all in some shape, form or fashion. If I'd have know I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

And it's hard to f*ck up a high and tight/fade. I have a former stylist who cuts my hair at a local shop that's been open for over 50 yrs and pay $12 with an $8 tip and I've been going there for over 30 yrs, consistently and NEVER got a bad cut. I stand by the old adage that "a fool and his money are soon parted".

I started at a Barber Shop. Paid 13 bucks...didnt know any better until I grew up a bit. Ventured into a salon and had my hair cut dry, not wetted down and hacked at...dry cut. Using razors to shave/split hair and using point cutting, texturizing shears. If youve got the hair and youve got the money (and youre vain)...then you are doing yourself and the people looking at you a great service.

High and tight fade...thats a skillless cut and you have been overpaying for 30 yrs.

I beg to differ and I'm not vain. There's more to me going there than just a haircut. You probably get mani and pedicures too. I don't wear pink nor do I hold my pinky out when I drink.

I'm not an 80s Yuppie. I just care about looking my best. You can always look better.
  • Ben BerubeBen Berube Benny B Members Posts: 2,576 ✭✭
    kmc wrote:

Glad to hear the good news! Just purchased 2 new sm7's to replace my 8620's. After 4 rounds, the 8620's are back in the bag. Another winter ho shopping experiment gone awry.

Dude its so hard to get off Scratch wedges. I have had 8620’s and the Forged easily 7-8 years and ow I cannot find anything to move too. Tried them all too, Jaws, Engage, Vokeys (yawn), 14’s, Mizzy and finally Trusty Rusties which I started with before my Scratch days 10 years ago.

I finally found a nice set from Adler on bst (Infamous Shank). Unfortunately they are chrome but is what I am going to bag now.

I owned easily 7 sets of Scratch including 5-6 DW sets. Awesome irons, just awesome and so easy to play. Not for the Callaway X18 type guy who treats his clubs like his weekend dump truck. But for the guy who walks and takes his game serious you cannot go wrong with the investment!
    WITB (for this week =)
    - TI R15 430 / 12* w/ Kyoshi Limited 65/04
    - TI SLDR Mini 16* w/ Tp6HD 
    -TI Proto Dhy Pro 21* / 18* hybrids w/Matrix Tour White/Black Ties 2*up
    -Cleveland CG1 Tours w/ Project X 6.0 / +3/4” / 2* up
    -TI Clevland Cg10 Tour grinds 54/60* w/TI400 / 2* up
    -Putter - revolving door still - Spider Tour DB/ Dbl ball Fange S / Monte Carlo CS
    Testing - Everything and Anything to try and improve. Golf is all what you make of it. 

***always up for trades***
  • Payton1020Payton1020 Members Posts: 2,043 ✭✭
    I still have my custom 8620 50°.
    COBRA Fly Z, Fly Z+, LTD Black
    ADAMS Super S 15* & 18* Matrix HD Radix SVI
    WILSON STAFF 20° Fybrid RS UST Mamiya VTS
    GOLFSMITH P2 4-PW, GW, SW, LW True Temper Formula 1 stepless

ODYSSEY Tri-Ball SRT

OGIO Grom 14 way stand bag
  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,035 ✭✭
    edited Feb 11, 2019 5:43pm #69
    8overpar wrote:

I've seen these in the past and never had the urge to try one. Just happen to have a spot for a 56* in my bag and found this today.

That's a great find! Original JLM series. That was our first pre-ground wedge offering that was not Custom. After that we had the dark finish forged 1018 and satin finish 8620 and lastly the forged Satin finish FIT series.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • The DuckThe Duck Members Posts: 837
    I miss my wedges. 56 and 60. Wore out the grooves..... not legal now..
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,853 ✭✭
    What's the/are the differences between AR1 and EZ1?
  • BCULAWBCULAW Orlando, FLMembers Posts: 3,668 ✭✭
    I miss mine. Had the full iron/wedge set with the staff bag. Best feeling blades I've owned.

• FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,035 ✭✭
    ode1 wrote:

EZ1 is larger and longer heel to toe w a lower COG.
    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 478 ✭✭

ode1 wrote:

Probably I'm talking nonsense, but why don't you get some orders from WRX members and go with a special edition of the EZ1/AR1 and the like?

Mate, respect for what you have done, they look stunning!!

Since I entered in this thread I daily look on ebay in order to see if a 5-PW set of EZ1 in good condition and with the S logo on the bottom side is available.

Sure I will find one sooner or later.
  • GehlyGehly ClubWRX Posts: 2,018 ClubWRX
    Marco Colo wrote:

ode1 wrote:

Probably I'm talking nonsense, but why don't you get some orders from WRX members and go with a special edition of the EZ1/AR1 and the like?

Since I entered in this thread I daily look on ebay in order to see if a 5-PW set of EZ1 in good condition and with the S logo on the bottom side is available.

think I may have set if interested...or a combo EZ/AR (been hording lots of Scratch stuff) send me a PM
  • 8overpar8overpar Members Posts: 205 ✭✭
    8overpar wrote:

Added this a few days later. Getting to be a (good) sickness. Scratch grip and yellow bounce designation sticker near the hosel. In search of a 53 still.
    Titleist 915D3 9.5° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 915F 15° - Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
    Titleist 716CB - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/08 (F) - KBS Tour-S
    Scratch                   56/06 - KBS Tour-S
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60/04 (L) - TT Wedge flex
    CNC SS Xenon Element
    TaylorMade TP5X
  • Gongshowguy16Gongshowguy16 Members Posts: 248 ✭✭
    edited Feb 25, 2019 11:52pm #77
    Marco Colo wrote:

ode1 wrote:

I just bought these off eBay last night. They are available if you keep stalking the listings. These are going straight to my club builder for Accra i110 shafts.
    edited Feb 26, 2019 12:05am #78
    Marco Colo wrote:

ode1 wrote:

I just bought these off eBay last night. They are available if you keep stalking the listings. These are going straight to my club builder for Accra i110 shafts
    edited Feb 26, 2019 12:11am #79
    Marco Colo wrote:

ode1 wrote:

I just bought these off eBay last night. They are available if you keep stalking the listings. These are going straight to my club builder for Accra i110 shafts
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members Posts: 478 ✭✭
    edited Feb 26, 2019 3:17am #80
    I saw those, but the seller previously offered to high price and P shows some rust. Nice purchase anyway.

Not rushing and enjoying my new g410
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • JFM628JFM628 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Scratch went to work for RockBottom golf. He sends me an email every time I go to the site.
  • PALS-SSAPALS-SSA Members Posts: 281 ✭✭
    I tried Scratch AR-1 irons moving over from Miura CB-201s due to the need for conforming grooves. What a bonehead ruling that was.

Loved the feel, but hooked them off the planet due to the offset. I sold them almost immediately. I was able to get a set of AR-1 v2 irons and FIT wedges before the company went under and love them. They will have to hold me over until I can afford a set of National Custom Works DW diamondbacks.
  • dscupdscup Members Posts: 11 ✭✭
    Since were posting pictures here, I thought I'd share some of my pics too - still playing the SB-1 irons I got 5 years ago, and finally wore out this custom wedge. Never played with a better set of clubs than these, they really are fantastic. Can't imagine playing any other set of blades

Callaway Epic Sub-Zero 9.5 - Black Tie 8M3
    Taylormade M2Tour 14.5 - Speeder 8.0
    Scratch SB-1 3-PW - KBS C-Taper X130
    Grindworks Handmade Custom 52/58
    Ping Anser 85020
  • D0ch0l1d4yD0ch0l1d4y Members Posts: 1,045 ✭✭

I shafted up my old SFU grind 58 the other day to torture myself...if not for the non-conforming grooves (and the bulk of my play in tournaments that require them)...it'd still be in the bag.

Will be saving up to send it to NCW to have a copy made! Unless you have some NOS DD wedges laying around @FairwayFred ??

• ballzoballzo Sacramento, CAMembers Posts: 639 ✭✭

Still rockin my scratch wedges, love em.

Tour Edge XCG6 9*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff
    Sonartec MD 17* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    Sonartec MD 21* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    Sonartec MD 25* Fujikura Banzai stiff
    MacGregor Pro-C 5-P S300
    Scratch Golf JLM-SND 52*, JLM-SFU 58*
    Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar
    Titleist NXT Tour S