Question for TALL golfers 6'2 +.. whats your specs?

pencilwhipper

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1359239589' post='6304423']
Your points 1-4 are spot on, Im a 48 L also, and not built like the 1993 wiry [b]tiger woods. Interesting to think, since tiger bulked up, though he said his specs haven't changed, if they have really.[/b]
[/quote]

Two things come to mind,

- Tiger is barely 6' tall. So he may not be the best candidate for a discussion about tall golfers.

- Even with the added muscle Tiger has put on he is only 6' tall and his shoulders are a pretty normal width. His last green jacket size is a supposed 42L, a very average size. Also it's easy to see how he was able to slowly adjust as he added muscle over a period of years.

[quote name='rybo' timestamp='1359294736' post='6307587']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1359239589' post='6304423']
Your points 1-4 are spot on, Im a 48 L also, and not built like the 1993 wiry [b]tiger woods. Interesting to think, since tiger bulked up, though he said his specs haven't changed, if they have really.[/b]
[/quote]

Two things come to mind,

- Tiger is barely 6' tall. So he may not be the best candidate for a discussion about tall golfers.

- Even with the added muscle Tiger has put on he is only 6' tall and his shoulders are a pretty normal width. His last green jacket size is a supposed 42L, a very average size. Also it's easy to see how he was able to slowly adjust as he added muscle over a period of years.
[/quote]

Thought he was 6'1? Interesting

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

6'4.. MP32's.. 3/4 long. Standard lie. KBS Tour, xstiff. Just a curiosity question, those of you going +2-4 on your lie angles, do you have wide shoulders, barrel chested? Just curious if an upright lie helps with broader shoulders, wider chests. @ 265 lbs, I have real wide shoulders and a 54 chest when measuring jacket size. I can feel the swing going bad on anything that I pull or hook, but sometimes the most beautiful feel gets me a high push. Anyone chime in?

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

6'4 here also directtvtechguy......i used to play 1" over and my hands were down by my knees like the pic of keegan Bradley on the last page. Ended up that at that length I would reach for the ball...weight would get out on my toes and a pull or pull hook would be my miss.

Also had hip and left knee pain because being that bent over and trying to continue to pivot during my swing was too much. I added an inch! So I game 2" over titleist standard length in my irons and my posture is better as is my overall balance in the swing. Most importantly is that my body is more freed up to rotate and my cap has gone down 4 strokes after the change

hit is with so much authority
that when you find it
and it sees you, it is trembling.

[quote name='Directvtechguy' timestamp='1359312786' post='6309135']
6'4.. MP32's.. 3/4 long. Standard lie. KBS Tour, xstiff. Just a curiosity question, those of you going +2-4 on your lie angles, do you have wide shoulders, barrel chested? Just curious if an upright lie helps with broader shoulders, wider chests. @ 265 lbs, I have real wide shoulders and a 54 chest when measuring jacket size. I can feel the swing going bad on anything that I pull or hook, but sometimes the most beautiful feel gets me a high push. Anyone chime in?
[/quote]

I'm close to you at 6'2" plus and 260ish. I'm fairly wide shoulder'd, thick arms and wear a 50L jacket. One of the best 'tips' I'd ever gotten from a PGA pro was to lay my left arm on top of my chest. I tend to make a large shoulder turn AND a lot of arm movement getting a bit past parallel even with a wedge (full swing). Getting 'on top' of my left pec was probably the biggest thing that got me to scratch.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

I'm 1.5 up on my 712MBs and green dot (2.25?) on my i20s. Half-inch over on my i20s, quarter inch on my 712s.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

6"10' not sure on wtf but got fitted "first time ever" and they had me hitting +1.5' try finding that lol always hit standard and well thru high school and still in college golf. Played awhile with the fitted irons and then i cut them down to +3/4 and bent the whole set upright 2* they work great now really glad i changed. Didnt wanna spend all the time and start over with my swing

[quote name='grip6' timestamp='1357065632' post='6148697']
I'm 6' 4" and was fitted several years ago to a 38.75 5 iron length that's 2* up.
I believe for most clubs that's +3/4" in length.
Seems to have worked out pretty well for me.
[/quote]

Exactly the same height and specs. Works well for me too.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

6'4.. MP32's.. 3/4 long. Standard lie. KBS Tour, xstiff. Just a curiosity question, those of you going +2-4 on your lie angles, do you have wide shoulders, barrel chested? Just curious if an upright lie helps with broader shoulders, wider chests. @ 265 lbs, I have real wide shoulders and a 54 chest when measuring jacket size.[size=5][b] I can feel the swing going bad on anything that I pull or hook, but sometimes the most beautiful feel gets me a high push. Anyone chime in?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was referring to about the club not being long enough. Let me try to explain this in two parts.

1. That pull or hook is caused by an over the top, outside in swing path. And yes it sure is easy to feel! Now if the club was a bit longer you would have enough room to take the club back and then back down to the ball. Since the club is too short you are fighting the natural forces of your body when trying to get the club from the top of the back swing back down to the ball. Your hands have no ability to swing slightly away from the body and towards the ball because either the length is a bit too short or the ball position being too close (usually a combo of the two). Your hands are being forced into the over the top scenario by the club and ball position. I could not ask you to get the club more inside as your body make up and overall size is likely going to make that impossible. Now you would have no issue swinging a baseball bat from the inside to out even though it is much shorter then most clubs in the bag because the ball position is not on the ground! However, if you had to swing a 34" club and get it back to the ground, you can pretty much guarantee its going to be an over the top move.

2. AAAhhhhh.......the most beautiful feel resulting in a high push! This is where your swing best matched your body proportions and the club is not working in sync. If the club is too short or too upright the only way to hit the ball with good center contact is with an open club face. So the swing path is square or slightly from the inside and you were able to release the club into impact but since the club is a bit short the clubhead is not is not getting all the way to the true bottom of the swing and you are having to hold the face open.

Now the fact that you are experiencing point #2 tells me you are able to get the club where it needs to be from the take away to the top and then back to the ball. This is a good thing!

[b]You can not fix a club that is too short in length with a change in lie angle!![/b] The clubs length must fit the golfers proportions; and 6' 4" with a 54" chest does not fit any fitting chart in existence! Again, upright lie angles move the ball position closer to the golfer, which in turn makes the swing path more upright, this makes the angle of attack more steep, etc, etc etc.

The only people who are benefiting from extreme changes in lie angles are the club manufacturers. They have certain criteria they want to meet, like head weights, shaft weights, swing weights, lengths, and lies. And when you start to deviate from their 'standards' the manufacturers get a little edgy. Much easier and way more cost efficient for them to make one set of heads and manipulate the club in other ways. However it is becoming much easier to build clubs longer in length and still maintain some of these standards. A lighter shaft built to a longer length can weigh the same as a heavier shaft built to shorter length. KBS Tours due to its design has a naturally occurring higher balance point allowing longer lengths and standard swingweights. Most people who need longer length irons usually have larger hands, either built up grips or midsize grips assist with keeping swing weight issues in order.

Another thing to consider is lets say you notice all of your divots are toe side, the bane of the tall golfer. Is that caused by an incorrect lie angle or too short a length of club issue? Both can cause toe deep divots. Hitting off a lie board can tell you something is wrong but it can not tell you the fix!

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1357400638' post='6172787']
6'3"
+1/2"
About 1* upright from Mizuno standard after length adjustment...or Titleist standard lie.
1 extra wrap.
Lighten the heads to play D3-D4 at over length. (as opposed to the naturally occurring D5)

I've [i]never[/i] seen a set of irons that were 1+ inch over where they didn't play weird and wrong. I have a buddy that got his 1.25" over length and the headweight killed the shaft flex at that length. Nothing good ever happens to golf clubs that exceed +1" in a world of golf components designed for roughly standard length. Shafts get sloppy - heads get heavy and Dynamic Gold S300/X100 start playing like super high-launch - and they weigh a TON.

Besides - hitting a 5 iron that is 1" + over is not an easy task. It's a 3 iron length. That's why I stay at .5" over MAX.
[/quote]

I play mine out +2". And while I do agree with you that once you go past 1", things go wrong, at what point do you give up on swinging incorrectly/poorly for the sake of the clubs? I was at 1" over and made the move to longer length and my golf swing opened up.

The issue with being tall is everything needs to be custom ordered and/you need to know your specs to the T so you can have work done on them.

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1357230015' post='6160313']
I'm curious to know how many of you guys play off the shelf driver and 3w lengths, or if you cut them down.
[/quote]

Driver is 45.75
5 wood I very rarely swap out for my 2 iron is 44.5, I also used an Aldila Rip driver shaft for my 5 wood, tipped it and butt cut it.

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

• 5 months later...

6'4" with shorter arms 37.5 wtf. For the longest time had been playing irons +1" and 2 upright. Just went through a fitting yesterday with a very well regarded club fitter used by some in this thread. Moving to clubs that are +2" and 2 upright (MP 64). Glad to see that there are others that are playing clubs this long and having good experiences as I was a bit hesitant at first. Will issue an update once I receive the clubs and get out to play.

[quote name='AmazinBlue' timestamp='1357402811' post='6172925']
I'm 6'3" with a 6'5.5" wingspan and 35.5" wrist-to-floor and I was fitted by Titleist for 1" over and 4* up about 10 years ago. About 5 years ago MIzuno fitting said +.5" and 3* up. I have had a mitchell irons machine for 12 years and I find that depending on the shaft 3-4* upright works for me, usually 4*. Apparently I have a tremendous amount of toe drop when I swing so the clubs in a static porsition look way too upright, but hitting a ball they are about perfect at 4* up.

I have a brand new set of Bridgestone j40s that I am going to reshaft with DG s400 and see if their standard lie angle will work. I hate the idea of bending such a beautiful club.
[/quote]
Well, here I am in July now. The Bstones are in the workshop collecting dust and I'm playing (and loving) my CMBs +.5" and 4* up. The SW are high D6 or so with the DG TI s400 ss 1x. I play with a young kid (about 28) that is as tall as me and he plays Adams CB2 +1" I swung his 7-iron it felt at least like a 5 iron. He keeps telling me I should be playing my clubs as long as his. I have cut my driver down to 44.5" and it feels better, not necessarily straighter yet. Heck, I'm thinking of dropping the irons back to standard length. With shoes on, my w-to-fl is 36" so I don't know.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='rybo' timestamp='1359384701' post='6313975']
6'4.. MP32's.. 3/4 long. Standard lie. KBS Tour, xstiff. Just a curiosity question, those of you going +2-4 on your lie angles, do you have wide shoulders, barrel chested? Just curious if an upright lie helps with broader shoulders, wider chests. @ 265 lbs, I have real wide shoulders and a 54 chest when measuring jacket size.[size=5][b] I can feel the swing going bad on anything that I pull or hook, but sometimes the most beautiful feel gets me a high push. Anyone chime in?[/b][/size]
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was referring to about the club not being long enough. Let me try to explain this in two parts.

1. That pull or hook is caused by an over the top, outside in swing path. And yes it sure is easy to feel! Now if the club was a bit longer you would have enough room to take the club back and then back down to the ball. Since the club is too short you are fighting the natural forces of your body when trying to get the club from the top of the back swing back down to the ball. Your hands have no ability to swing slightly away from the body and towards the ball because either the length is a bit too short or the ball position being too close (usually a combo of the two). Your hands are being forced into the over the top scenario by the club and ball position. I could not ask you to get the club more inside as your body make up and overall size is likely going to make that impossible. Now you would have no issue swinging a baseball bat from the inside to out even though it is much shorter then most clubs in the bag because the ball position is not on the ground! However, if you had to swing a 34" club and get it back to the ground, you can pretty much guarantee its going to be an over the top move.

2. AAAhhhhh.......the most beautiful feel resulting in a high push! This is where your swing best matched your body proportions and the club is not working in sync. If the club is too short or too upright the only way to hit the ball with good center contact is with an open club face. So the swing path is square or slightly from the inside and you were able to release the club into impact but since the club is a bit short the clubhead is not is not getting all the way to the true bottom of the swing and you are having to hold the face open.

Now the fact that you are experiencing point #2 tells me you are able to get the club where it needs to be from the take away to the top and then back to the ball. This is a good thing!

[b]You can not fix a club that is too short in length with a change in lie angle!![/b] The clubs length must fit the golfers proportions; and 6' 4" with a 54" chest does not fit any fitting chart in existence! Again, upright lie angles move the ball position closer to the golfer, which in turn makes the swing path more upright, this makes the angle of attack more steep, etc, etc etc.

The only people who are benefiting from extreme changes in lie angles are the club manufacturers. They have certain criteria they want to meet, like head weights, shaft weights, swing weights, lengths, and lies. And when you start to deviate from their 'standards' the manufacturers get a little edgy. Much easier and way more cost efficient for them to make one set of heads and manipulate the club in other ways. However it is becoming much easier to build clubs longer in length and still maintain some of these standards. A lighter shaft built to a longer length can weigh the same as a heavier shaft built to shorter length. KBS Tours due to its design has a naturally occurring higher balance point allowing longer lengths and standard swingweights. Most people who need longer length irons usually have larger hands, either built up grips or midsize grips assist with keeping swing weight issues in order.

Another thing to consider is lets say you notice all of your divots are toe side, the bane of the tall golfer. Is that caused by an incorrect lie angle or too short a length of club issue? Both can cause toe deep divots. Hitting off a lie board can tell you something is wrong but it can not tell you the fix!
[/quote]
This is exactly my problem. I almost never pull my driver, 3w or 5w. Sometimes the hybrid, but about 30-40% of the time I pull my irons and I can never figure out why. I wear a 46 extra long sport coat and I have to find dress shirts extra long becuase I am soooo long waisted. Maybe I do need +1" irons. Most of my strikes are a little toe-ward.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1357066328' post='6148809']
I'm 6'3" and I play standard lie and length, or maybe 1/4 over.

It has much more to do with how long your arms are, and how your swing path is. I have long arms, so that puts me into shorter clubs than others my height.

I experimented with more upright and longer clubs, and it felt good at the start, and then turned into massive hooks and pulls. But, I also have a tendency to get stuck and come in too shallow.
[/quote]

Same here, 6'2" but arms too long so standard length or maybe .5" over.

6'4" // 35.5" wrist to ground, I use +.25" length shafts and 3-9 iron 1 degree flat from stock, PW/SW/LW are stock length/lie. I keep my hands low and in, nearly touching my legs.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

6' 2 1/2", 36 3/4" wrist to floor. I had a fitting a few years ago for a set of irons that a local pro was selling (standard everything) and nothing needed changing.

My current irons are +1/2" and standard lie...will look to get them shortened to standard over the next few weeks, even though they don't feel uncomfortable.

Interestingly my previous set of irons were green dot Ping i15s and they were definitely too upright, even though the colour chart would suggest that is the fit for me.

TM M5 Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73 X
TM SIM Titanium 14* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 TX
Mizuno MP18 (MMC Fli-Hi 3-4, MMC 5-PW) DG S300 hardstepped x1
Cleveland RTX3 50/56/60 KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
TM Ardmore 3 Black Copper  

[quote name='KristianJ' timestamp='1373617422' post='7438260']
6' 2 1/2", 36 3/4" wrist to floor. I had a fitting a few years ago for a set of irons that a local pro was selling (standard everything) and nothing needed changing.

My current irons are +1/2" and standard lie...will look to get them shortened to standard over the next few weeks, even though they don't feel uncomfortable.

Interestingly my previous set of irons were green dot Ping i15s and they were definitely too upright, even though the colour chart would suggest that is the fit for me.
[/quote]

Same as you, I've played anywhere from std to +.75". Titleist std irons which I think are about .25" compared to other oems
. Have grabbed titleist clubs off the wall and hit well. I went through hitting a set of mb 712s from 3-pw using impact tape on all, markings where a touch to the toe side on std titleist spec. Gone with +.5" hoping that puts me dead center this. Funny thing that's like +.75" compared to others. With the driver and fws I play those a quarter inch short. 44.75 driver

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Wow, 6'4" and 4 degrees flat, you must also keep your hands very low or they started very upright. What is your wrist to ground?

Is 38" the new 5-Iron standard? I've always used 37.75". My 5 iron is dead on 38 though.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

6'7 play i20s at +2" white dot (3* upright). Tried 1.5" on a set of Nike vrs forged and threw my swing off so bad I sold them. Had a guy at PGA super store tell me I needed +1" at most and Lamkin jumbos +4 wraps when I play midsize now told him no thanks for the help I'm just trying a club for the feel. He questioned my specs and told me my fitter must not know what he was doing. I said yeah especially being a 3 time state fitter of the year.