Question for TALL golfers 6'2 +.. whats your specs?

pencilwhipper

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two golfers - both 6' 2" - one has shorter arms than the other - will fit different lengths.

Moral of the story - height is not the deciding factor in determining specs.

Two golfers - both 6'2" - both have the same arm length but one has broader shoulders - will fit different lengths.

Moral of the story - height and arm length combined are not necessarily the deciding factors in determining specs.

Last moral - what ever anyone else measures is irrelevant. It only matters what YOU measure.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='rybo' timestamp='1359211788' post='6302237']
6' 4", 38.5" wtf, finger tip to finger tip is 6' 5"

Current 5 iron is 38 3/4" & 61* (there are no standards so impossible to say +1" and 1* upright)

Couple of things to consider:

1. Shoulder width. If you have wide shoulders you may need slightly longer length clubs. The reason being is the triangle formed between your shoulders and when your hands come together to grip the club will have shorter sides.

2. Muscle size. if you have thicker, larger muscles you may need slightly longer clubs. (Personally I wear a 48L dress coat)

3. Upright lie angles and the effect on ball position. There is one thing upright lie angles do wonderfully well and that is bring the ball position closer to the golfer. This is simple geometry that can not disputed. Now this closer ball position starts a chain reaction effect for the tall individual but for this discussion lets focus on the swing plane plane will steepen, therefore the angle of attack gets steeper and almost always results in some type of over the top move. None of these are what a tall person needs.

4. A general rule I have been using is if a golfer requires a more then 1.5* upright lie angle then the club is too short. They may even require a longer and flatter club! Now I have seen plenty of golfers who had clubs that were too short, seen very few who were too long! Everybody can hit the 5 or 6 iron well. It's the PW and SW that a length problem will show itself. This always becomes very apparent in the short irons and wedges.

5. Putter Length! This is where the industry just blows it. There is no good reason why 35" has become the longest standard putter length. If you are over 6' 1" and have normal length arms your posture will suffer using a 'standard' length putter. And having a proper posture is everything to developing a good putting stroke. There is a reason why the majority of belly putter users on the professional tours are all over 6' 1". THe belly putter lets them place their hands on the putter with a normal arm hang and bend in the elbow. It's not the fact that its stuck in the belly for it's wide spread use, its the fact for the first time the putter actually fits them instead of them trying to adapt to the putter! It's very hard to excessively extend your arms with a belly putter, your hands naturally go to the point of least resistance which is usually 2-4" higher up. Odyssey this year just started offering all of their putters up to 39". This is a huge advancement in the putter world!

Keegan Bradley was mentioned earlier, he does bend excessively at the waist. I have to think this is from years of adaption to mis-sized equipment since no instructor would teach this posture. Even with that said, his putter is 46 1/2" and his elbows are touching his sides with no excessive arm hang, what do you think the measurement would be for the length from the center of a grounded putter head to the butt end of his top hand? It has to be close to 38 or 39".

Here are some others:
Ernie Els
Vijay Singh
Webb Simpson
Jamie Lovemark
Angel Cabrera
[/quote]

Great insight. Been struggling lately with ball striking ever since I started tinkering with length and lie on my clubs. Went back to specs that i played with last summer when I was playing the best golf of my life and this post seemed to sum up what I was feeling. 6'4" with 39" WTF; been playing +1/2" and yellow dot but just ordered a new set that is +1" and blue. Never felt good with very upright clubs as my miss is OTT but will give this set up that worked in the past another try

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Diamana PD 50S

Paradym Ai Smoke Max Tensei Blue 1K 60S

Paradym Ai Smoke 24* Tensei Pro 1K 70S

Srixon ZX5 mkII  Modus 105R

Callaway JAWS RAW Modus/DG S400

Mizuno M Craft VI

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Froth' timestamp='1376443633' post='7671874']
Height as measured In golf shoes I play in, 6'3 3/4" 35.75" WTG, 197lbs, Wide, Broad Shoulders, Wear a 44R Suit-Jacket and the fit would be snug. I went into a lot of detail this time.

Here's the full specs of my new setup, Based off my measurements.
- Tour Concept X-100's Straight in. 39.5" 3iron with 3/8" Step downs

Lie Angles, Measured with Maltby Loft/Lie machine. Individual club length listed as well.

3iron - 58.5° - Length 39.5"
4iron - 59.25° - Length 39.125"
5iron - 60.5° - Length 38.75"
6iron - 61.5° - Length 38.375"
7iron - 62° - Length 38.0"
8iron - 63° - Length 37.625"
9iron - 63.25° - Length 37.250"
PW - 64° - Length 37.0"
SW - 65.75° - Length 37.0"
LW - 67.25° - Length 37.0"

I am noticing when I record my range session that my Spine angle is MUCH better now on my 8,9, and Wedges. I feel more confident over them, they feel better in my hands at basically 1.5" Over STD.

A difference of 2.5" total length over the whole set, 3iron through Lob Wedge.

My ball-striking and Divot formation has been more consistent than I believe it ever has with this setup, and my spine angle changes very little from 3iron to Wedge.
[/quote]

Length/ lie should be dependent upon one another. If all of you wedges are 37", the lie of all of them should be the same/ close as possible. Loft, affecting the trajectory and distance, should be the only variable in your wedges (if you choose one wedge length).

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

6'5"
WTF 40.5"
1.5" long
2* up
I get a kick out of members here suggesting that because the PGA (those little guys) averages 44.5" driver length everyone should play that or shorter. My swing plane is steep with 45.5" (fitting recommends 46.5). If I went shorter I would address drives like I was holding a 7-iron.

6' 3" play half long and one up.

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, just found this thread. Great stuff. Love the tall guy only threads! I keep saying we should have our own subforum...

When you get older, and if you gain weight, you will lose height. Avg. is roughly 1" per decade, but with weight gain it can be as much as 2" per decade. If you were 6'4" when you graduated high school and you gain 75lbs by the time you're 30, you're probably like 6'2" now. However, your arms don't shink. So you get that lopsided height to wingspan. And if you have a wider chest/torso then you can really get some gangly arms on some weighted down skeletal structures. Not everyone that is over 6' tall needs upright lie angles. That is Dick's or GG or Golfsmith level fitting thought. Wrist to floor is a good place to start. You then try the vertical line test on the ball. And don't be afraid to play underlength iron shafts, or choke up. If you have long arms and you find yourself having control issues, shorten it up and see how tight the dispersion starts to get. Forget about distance with irons, it's about distance to pin.

Totally agree with this. I am 6'5" tall, 7' wingspan, 37" WTF, 35 years old. I have been "fitted" into longer irons with upright lie angles by entities like the ones mentioned above, and have been playing that way the last couple years.

Went out yesterday to experiment with standard L/L/L.... HOLY CRAP are those things easy to hit!! They are shorter, lighter, better lie angles. I was hitting the sweet spot WAY more often than I do with those long, heavy, upright awkward clubs I had been "fitted" for. Playing them even got me into a more athletic address position and got my swing plane in a better place. I was bending more at the waist, like Dusting Johnson or Keegan Bradley. Admittedly it was more strain on the lower back, but I am just going to have to strengthen that part of my body, because the results were fantastic. I am super excited now about switching back to standard L/L/L.

I am more and more convinced that the only way to "get fitted" is to experiment with a bunch of stuff outdoors, hitting real golf shots off of real grass, and watching them fly, and comparing it to other stuff. Of course you will need the knowledge of what makes the ball do what (i.e. too upright=left ball, longer club increases SW, etc.), but that's what we have WRX for!!

I encourage all the tall guys out there to do a bunch of experimenting, and don't just rely on what a "fitter" told you after hitting some balls off of a hard plastic board on a launch monitor into a net indoors. YOU are your best fitter, trust your eye and your feel. Plus, it's fun to try a bunch of different clubs (I believe some may refer to it as.... ho'ing....?).

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

6'3 with 'normal' arm length for my height: Standard length, lies and lofts.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

6'4", flat swing... +1" up and 2* flat is what has served up best results.

Wonder if that's a result of playing adult clubs as I learned and being comfortable with the length

Driver, woods, and hybrids/driving irons I play standard, in the most open or flattest setting if adjustable.

I agree you are the best fitter. Ping "fitting" says +0.5" and 2* upright and standard grips. When I play that I'm left all day and the lie board says I need the 2* flat. And man oh man do I prefer mid sized.

Swings are dynamic, and a lot of fitting is static measurements... Gotta be heads up.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

6,4", WTF 38.5"

+1/2", Ping silver dot (as per webfit).

Side note question: I'm reading some of you taller folks playing less upright specs. My miss is off the toe and aside from poor mechanics, would upright clubs have any bearing on that type of miss?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

A flat swing, like mine, benefits immensely from a flatter lie. The way I swing, makes the club return to contact with the heel impacting the ground and the toe raised. This translates into the ball spinning to draw or hook. If your lie contact is fine (grooves are parallel to the ground at contact) when you hit the ball, then no... adjustment would do nothing for your toe miss.

However, if the toe being high and the lie being too upright to get you square and have good contact, then YES! Flatter could help you.

Recommendation? Take your 6 iron into somewhere with a lie board and see whats up.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

Im 6'4", i play my irons +.5 and my woods -.5. For some odd reason I have always played standard lie so I have made my swing work for them

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

6' 2"

I play 45" driver

43" 3 wood

42" 5 wood

and my irons and wedges are +1/2" (5 iron @ 38.5" and 62° lie)

35" putter

Grips are +1/32"

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...

6'3" +0.5" long and 2* flat irons through wedges.

TaylorMade Stealth 2 + 9º - Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
Callaway X2 Hot 3Deep 14.5º - Motore Speeder 8.3 TS
Callaway X2 Hot 5Deep 18.5º - Motore Speeder 8.2 TS
Callaway X2 Hot Pro Hybrid 20º - Motore Speeder 9.8 HB TS

PING G410 4 XR - PING Tour 85
PING i500 6-UW - PING Alta CB Red
PING Glide 3.0 54º, 58º SS Grind - PING Alta CB Red
PING Glide 3.0 SS Grind - PING Alta CB Red
Odyssey 2021 White Hot OG Rossie DB

I'm 6'3'', play 5 iron at 38 1/4" but then have 3/8" increments between irons and wedges(pw-Lw same length). 2* up. Clubs are also MOI'd. Grips built up to bubba size, only way to get rid of my death grip. :taunt:

Feels really good, little extra length in the short irons and wedges. Took lots of experimenting to get to this set up.

Driver at 44.5, 3w 42.5, 5w/2h 41.25

Lots of good info in this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/664636-proper-length-fitting-how-it-needs-to-be-done/page__st__120

• 8 months later...

6'3" +0.5" long and 2* flat irons through wedges.

Been experimenting; length is pretty constant

2-6 - +.5"

7-60* 3/4" to 1" , with 9,pw,54, 60 close to the same length

Lie angle , any where from +2* lie angle off titleist mb 716 specs

Currently using 2-3* flat

Upright , swing feels more simplistic , flat feels more athletic and my finish feels more complete , but have to work a bit at the swing

Upright my wrist feel totally extended

Wedges are 62*. / ~36 wtf

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN