The 9th circle of confession.

Nine Miler

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1445739760' post='12503148']
...and info on the M1. The guy tells me there may be a quality control problem. There's been talk in the equipment forum about a flaw across the crown. A bulge or crack in the paint. While I was in the demo room, he pulled the demo M1 out and showed it to me. There was definitely a bulge about a half inch back from the top of the face.
[/quote]

MC is the problem in the composite or the junction of the titanium? I haven't seen one yet. It reminds me of the Cleveland Launcher Comp. That was a great driver for me paired with the Grafalloy Blue shaft.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1445740432' post='12503212']
...and info on the M1. The guy tells me there may be a quality control problem. There's been talk in the equipment forum about a flaw across the crown. A bulge or crack in the paint. While I was in the demo room, he pulled the demo M1 out and showed it to me. There was definitely a bulge about a half inch back from the top of the face.
[/quote]

MC is the problem in the composite or the junction of the titanium? I haven't seen one yet. It reminds me of the Cleveland Launcher Comp. That was a great driver for me paired with the Grafalloy Blue shaft.
[/quote]

From what I've seen, it's getting a bulge where the composite meets the titanium in the crown.

[/quote]

[/quote]

We were talking about it. This guy seems to think it has to do with the way the crown tapers or turns down abruptly where it meets the top of the face.

Pigems, Callaway along with many others made composite drivers. Yonex was one of the first I remember. I think Phil played Yonex at one point.

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1445740565' post='12503218']
[/quote]

[/quote]

From what I've seen, it's getting a bulge where the composite meets the titanium in the crown.
[/quote]

It may have something to do with that. The way the 2 different materials absorb the impact. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. That link could be the way the metal is curved between the top of the face and where the crown meets the composite.

Compared the M1 and R15. The crown on the R15 has less curve from the face.

[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1445741488' post='12503254']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It may have something to do with that. The way the 2 different materials absorb the impact. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. That link could be the way the metal is curved between the top of the face and where the crown meets the composite.

[/quote]

A shockwave traveling through two different materials will absolutely put stress on the interface between the two and since they both will stretch (and bend and compress) differently under the same force, then there will be an extreme shear force at the interface where one material will literally stretch differently than the other. To get a rough order of magnitude of this, you can compare the Young's modulus values. Per the table in this link, [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus"]https://en.wikipedia...g's_modulus[/url], you can see that titanium is different than carbon fiber reinforced plastic. They are within the same order of magnitude value with each other but they are different nonetheless. Their % difference in value is roughly the same % of stretch each of them will undergo from the same amount of force. But since they are supposed to be bound to each other, then when they stretch they will put a shear force at the interface and ultimately make the interface bend or warp.

You can see in the M1 that the composite has a sort of notch shape behind the impact point. That is right where the most force is going to be on the crown from impact, and so that notch shape is there to give it some structural reinforcement. But the problem with that also is that increases the total surface area interface which means an overall bigger difference in 'stretch' between the two materials.

But again I'll bet none of this is in the TBag marketing literature.

I can't wait to see all the explanations for this. It could still be just a poor manufacturing glitch that can be fixed. Personally if I had one, I would ask club surgeon Dr. BIG STU to fix mine. LOL but most likely I'd ask him to put it out of its misery. :bigwhack:

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Hmmmm.

By the looks of the lower right pic it makes it seem like the black notch is just an illusion. The true interface is between the notch and face

That bulge looks to be right where the interface is. Maybe the repeatability of manufacturing the two materials to the exact fit or the final bonding process has a flaw. Or maybe that's just the way applying that white topcoat is.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1445747821' post='12503470']
Little bit of golf trivia here for the gang.

What is the all time record for hitting a golf ball (distance-wise) - who hit it - and when?

Hint: Incredibly - it occurred the same year Charles Coody won the Masters.
[/quote]

Was it Mike Austin's 515 yarder? 1974 US Senior Open qualifier...43.5" persimmon.

Didn't that hit and roll down a road running through the course of something?

Didn't Coody win the Masters in '71?

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1445749070' post='12503502']

What is the all time record for hitting a golf ball (distance-wise) - who hit it - and when?

[/quote]

Was it Mike Austin's 515 yarder? 1974 US Senior Open qualifier...43.5" persimmon.

[/quote]

Good guess - very good in fact but 'frayed-knot'. That's not actually it. And yes - the year was 1971.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1445749359' post='12503510']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good guess - very good in fact but 'frayed-knot'. That's not actually it. And yes - the year was 1971.
[/quote]

If it was 71, I guess it had to be on the moon.

Richard, and Maddie, thank you for the kind words, it's flattering :) . If only the women out here felt I had rockstar looks too LOL, I'm the classic (as mentioned in previous thread by Gaucho) "Nice guy who constantly finishes last". It's my fault too, I'm a yes man, I lack "cajones" most of the time, I'm constantly placed in the dreaded "friend zone". That being said the current situation I've been faced with has given me an entirely new perspective on life so I've changed. No regrets, no more trying to be perfect, take me as I am, damaged goods and all LOL

Hope all is well! :D

-TJ-

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1445749980' post='12503518']
[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1445749359' post='12503510']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If it was 71, I guess it had to be on the moon.
[/quote]

Correct!

[url="http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/12/astronaut_alan_shepards_moon_walk_golf_club_in_far_hills_40_years_later.html"]http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2013/12/astronaut_alan_shepards_moon_walk_golf_club_in_far_hills_40_years_later.html[/url]

Look very very closely at the head Mr. Ninn..... you will feel very good about this one.

And I see a shaft that leaves me even more confused. :read:

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1445751248' post='12503546']
Look very very closely at the head Mr. Ninn..... you will feel very good about this one.

And I see a shaft that leaves me even more confused. :read:
[/quote]

Two words: tight lies.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1445747656' post='12503464']
Here is the issue- you can see the bulge near the bonded area in the white paint on the toe side.
[/quote]

[color=#000000][size=3][color="#222222"][size=4]I’m guessing that the metal ([/size][/color][/size][/color][color="#222222"][size=3][size=4]titanium) is more malleable than the more rigid carbon composite and is being deformed between the force of the collision with the ball and the composite. [/size][/size][/color]

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1445752803' post='12503588']
[quote name='Nine Miler' timestamp='1445747656' post='12503464']
Here is the issue- you can see the bulge near the bonded area in the white paint on the toe side.
[/quote]

[color=#000000][size=3][color="#222222"][size=4]I’m guessing that the metal ([/size][/color][/size][/color][color="#222222"][size=3][size=4]titanium) is more malleable than the more rigid carbon composite and is being deformed between the force of the collision with the ball and the composite. [/size][/size][/color]
[/quote]
And it is perfecty lengthwise along the seam. There is a ridge.

Registered Bladeocrat

Let me see. Rock stars, shafts, joints and moon drives. Sounds like
the 60s to me.

Us NON rock stars have been known to land some beautiful women.
It's good to be on the right end of marrying UP!!!

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

MC, the G30s look nice. I like the dark color and the Nike-like Gamma
Blue accents. The lofts are jacked a little but it's no biggie IMO. If they
perform like the normal G series irons you can't go wrong. They've been
bending the trailing edge to make the soles not so wide and off putting
to the eyes since the G25s.

As you know, I have a set of G25s that I bought from PD and they are
great, especially with his custom paint job he did for me! I've only gotten
them dirty a few times, lol, but they are at the ready!

Ssshh, don't let D hear us..............................just kidding, lol.

I play 'em all..............from blades to shovels. Variety is the spice, right?

I mean a REAL man should be able to hit a blade or an SGI iron. :D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1445723177' post='12502124']

Ninja, when you have a minute I'd like to hear what you think of the physics of choking down on the shaft. It obviously shortens the "lever" and the shot is shorter, but I can't figure out exactly why it seems to stiffen the shaft and hold the trajectory down. I don't ever feel like the shaft fully loads or releases on a choked down shot. I was practicing that lower trajectory shot today. I really need to use that one more frequently. It's so reliable. If there's anything holding me back, like the lie, then I just need to choke down a full inch take two more clubs and hit a little cut. I feel like that's the least likely shot to mishit very badly in my entire repertoire.
[/quote]

The reason the shaft gets stiffer the shorter it is or the more you choke down is because you cannot apply as much torque ([url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque[/url]) on the shaft to bend it given the same swing force as with a longer shaft. Remember the equation for torque is the force times the length of the lever arm. So if you lower the lever arm distance by choking down, you will, by definition, apply[i] less [/i]torque on the shaft and in effect it will be stiffer. And since there is less torque on the shaft, it doesn't bend as much which results in a lower ball flight.

And the reason it is so easy to hit a shot when choking down is because length exacerbates the error and so shortening it reduces it. Also the more mass on the other side of the hands at the butt end helps drop the overall swing MOI and makes controlling the club easier. You have in effect made the club the same length as your shorter irons and so it will be just as easy to hit as those shorter irons already are.

Registered Bladeocrat

Time to poke DePhysicist ... I cannot wait to see what you think of Cobra's upcoming "Zero CG" driver. :)

Starting to feel better and made some swings today without it feeling like my neck/shoulders/back needed a case of liquid graphite applied. It still feels like an 18 lb bowling ball is sitting on my sinuses, but at least now I can get some sunlight and walk a semi-straight line.

Loving the stories and photos of clubs. I don't have anything new to show off, so I guess I will be a while before I take a pic again. I might even do a bag photo or two: my "gamer" bag and the backup I bought last Christmas (Srixon bag, a bit smaller than my "real" cart bag). Still haven't put it into play as the old one isn't 100% dead yet.

Boy oh boy Lydia Ko is something special, she is in fact my favorite golfer by a MILE! Go Lydia!

MC, if your thinking about getting some G30 I'd wait a minute as I think there is a new line coming out in Jan/Feb, there could be a price drop on those G30's soon brah!

Great posts as usual everyone!

Looking forward to some shaft talk, personally I think shafts can be more important than the actual club head. That however is only an opinion and based off of my experience. Mainly with the driver. When I accidentally found the shaft my swing gets along with in the driver swing it literally changed my; game. Pretty crazy the difference in ball flight, spin, dispersion, and distance. Lastly it gave me more confidence off the tee, which then leaked into the rest of my game. So the new driver I have has a different shaft, I did some research and it should work for me, if not "old faithful" is getting screwed in immediately LOL

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1445732697' post='12502644']
Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard
[/quote]For some reason I had never heard that quote from Mr. Nicklaus but it is 100% absolutely true in my case anyhow

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1445746527' post='12503436']
[quote name='Michael C.' timestamp='1445741488' post='12503254']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

A shockwave traveling through two different materials will absolutely put stress on the interface between the two and since they both will stretch (and bend and compress) differently under the same force, then there will be an extreme shear force at the interface where one material will literally stretch differently than the other. To get a rough order of magnitude of this, you can compare the Young's modulus values. Per the table in this link, [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young%27s_modulus"]https://en.wikipedia...g's_modulus[/url], you can see that titanium is different than carbon fiber reinforced plastic. They are within the same order of magnitude value with each other but they are different nonetheless. Their % difference in value is roughly the same % of stretch each of them will undergo from the same amount of force. But since they are supposed to be bound to each other, then when they stretch they will put a shear force at the interface and ultimately make the interface bend or warp.

You can see in the M1 that the composite has a sort of notch shape behind the impact point. That is right where the most force is going to be on the crown from impact, and so that notch shape is there to give it some structural reinforcement. But the problem with that also is that increases the total surface area interface which means an overall bigger difference in 'stretch' between the two materials.

But again I'll bet none of this is in the TBag marketing literature.

I can't wait to see all the explanations for this. It could still be just a poor manufacturing glitch that can be fixed. Personally if I had one, I would ask club surgeon Dr. BIG STU to fix mine. LOL but most likely I'd ask him to put it out of its misery. :bigwhack:
[/quote]Thanks for the confidence in my repair skills. Now I am going to bring up another can of worms for your mind to explore. With the 2 different types of materials and the long expansion joint wonder about seperation due to temp changes hot and cold etc combined with high speed frequency vibration from normal play. I would not think someone with my SS could affect it much but what about someone like Niner that has the swing speed and impact power?

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1445763378' post='12503672']
Boy oh boy Lydia Ko is something special, she is in fact my favorite golfer by a MILE! Go Lydia!

MC, if your thinking about getting some G30 I'd wait a minute as I think there is a new line coming out in Jan/Feb, there could be a price drop on those G30's soon brah!

Looking forward to some shaft talk, personally I think shafts can be more important than the actual club head. That however is only an opinion and based off of my experience. Mainly with the driver. When I accidentally found the shaft my swing gets along with in the driver swing it literally changed my; game. Pretty crazy the difference in ball flight, spin, dispersion, and distance. Lastly it gave me more confidence off the tee, which then leaked into the rest of my game. So the new driver I have has a different shaft, I did some research and it should work for me, if not "old faithful" is getting screwed in immediately LOL
[/quote]

I think that, if money is no object AND if your swing "never" changes (i.e. head speed, toe down, etc), the right shaft could really make a game. I'll use the recent little fun testing and previous experience to try to explain myself...

When it comes to drivers, I used to give away some yardage by using an X-flex shaft to keep things straight. I had my Mizuno T-Zoid Titanium fitted with an Aldila NV-65X. These days there are more options available, or should I say visible, to those of us who were pretty much ignorant to the differences in shafts in the past. I asked my club pro to choose a replacement shaft for me with that Mizuno driver when the other one broke, so I am glad the shaft worked out well and quite lucky at the same time. Now, I would be speaking with a shaft fitting specialist about options based on what my swing is like at the time of the breakage... and probably end up with something like the new Black Tie.

The same sort of thing goes along with my irons. I have been a DG S300 player forever (exception: The Hogan Radial irons when I started were whatever Hogan shaft they used). When I went to get fit for my MP-4 irons, they had me at 94MPH, 6 swing tempo - 4 toe down - 6 kick angle - 5 release factor which give me the DG X100 as the best fit. In the end, I went with DG S300 knowing I would rather be near the top of the range for a shaft than barely in the range.

With the Callaway Apex MB's, I spoke with a shaft fitter about a bunch of factors (the shoulder being one) and he gave me 3 options to look into for more information. In the end, I went with the Aerotek SteelFiber i110CW in Stiff after hitting one of the other options and not liking it, seeing the price tag on the other and immediately removing it from the list, and liking what I researched about the SteelFiber. Even if my swing speed dropped a bit I would still be in the range AND the ability to remove some vibration from swings in general would be a huge plus.

I have hit the MB's with 3 different shafts, the Tour-V, the C-Taper, and my Steelfibers and have noticed a difference caused by the shaft in regards to launch angle. I am definitely in the minority on this one, but the Tour-V launches around 18-20 degrees on good days at 92 MPH, the C-Taper is 20-22 degrees and 90 MPH, and the Steelfibers are 17-19 degrees and 92-94 MPH. Now to add another twist to the tale, all shafts EXCEPT my Steelfiber are standard loft/lie/length. My irons are 1/2 in SHORTER by design for more control and I am still getting better club head speed!

I think that pretty much sells me on them being the best possible fit for my game, with the key term being MY game. My game is not DeNinja's, certainly isn't Thunder or Nine's game, and your results will probably vary greatly from mine. The SteelFiber shafts might not fit someone else's game in the least (Thunder and Nine would be i110CW in X or 125CW in stiff/X according to the chart if I'm right on SS), and for someone else it might be even a better fit than it was for me. In the same way some people feel that DG Pro as the end all of shafts (they balloon like crazy for me to the tune of a 29.9 degree launch with 6 iron), I would be a huge SteelFiber and DG S300 fan over other shafts. I bet there is something that would fit me even better, but without the money and access I will never know.

... and now to win the lotto and see. :)

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1445736229' post='12502882']
Thanks Matt and PD - and DeNinny. Along the way I'm surely going to have more questions. Stay tuned in future.

Stu - Amazing that you encountered Titanic Thompson. I'd like to read that book. Won't chat it up on the forum about your dad if/when I do.
[/quote]I think you can get that book on amazon. I meant to look. I do not have the book but one of my dad's old chronies that lives down here let me read his copy. It was written long after my Dad passed. About 90% of the people in that book I knew. If you get that book and read it PM me when you figgure out who my dad is. It should be easy as pie for you or anyone else for that matter by adding 2+2. And the Titanic story in the book where he shot the silver dollar with the pistol it happened at our course with the old man's pistol and I saw it. Titanic was a crack shot with a pistol or any gun for that matter

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1445750095' post='12503522']
Richard, and Maddie, thank you for the kind words, it's flattering :) . If only the women out here felt I had rockstar looks too LOL, I'm the classic (as mentioned in previous thread by Gaucho) "Nice guy who constantly finishes last". It's my fault too, I'm a yes man, I lack "cajones" most of the time, I'm constantly placed in the dreaded "friend zone". That being said the current situation I've been faced with has given me an entirely new perspective on life so I've changed. No regrets, no more trying to be perfect, take me as I am, damaged goods and all LOL

-TJ-
[/quote][quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1445750095' post='12503522']

-TJ-
[/quote]Uh huuh I can see you kicked back with your shades on listening to the Nickleback song Rock Star! :)

[quote name='Palauan Hammer' timestamp='1445763378' post='12503672']

[/quote]

Can't believe I've missed this thread...

I agree about Lydia... Also, after reading your post, senior shafts make sense to me all of a sudden... (duh)

But that's not why I'm posting, Forged, on page 5 you mentioned nose hairs, I bought one of those nose hair trimmers last year. You know,the one where the guy on the commercial is a loser until he buys it, then he trims his ears and nose, and this chick is all over him? Well, anyway, it works OK I guess, problem is I guess if you're young you don't need it and the chicks want you anyway, and if you're old like me, you can't see to use it. Now, on your nose, it pretty much goes in there, and rips out the hairs like a roto-rooter. At least they're gone, but my advice to any golfer is don't play for like 24 hours because your eyes get watery and you end up hitting into other fairways cause you can't see straight... :) However my wife still wants me.. yay