2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

LIVE UPDATES: The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee Event! Before/After Results Added!

As for the mini, that thing is super easy to hit. For a guy like me that isn't a great driver of the ball, I had a hard time hitting a bad shot with it. I might just have to start gaming the 14* instead of a driver. I can stand losing 15 yds, maybe 20 even, to hit it that straight every time. Straight like TMBob! He hit twice the balls we all did I think and had room for more! Talk about a nice repeatable swing...you have it Bob! And RedSide. That dood is a beast! Fun time with all you guys today!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit one ball on the launch monitor in the morning (carried in the mid 280s, total ~310) and played the last 4 holes in the afternoon. Shot +1 (ugly, ugly bogey on the par 5 18th, was greenside in 2) after riding solo in a cart for 14 holes. I'm not medically cleared to play until May and I was happily surprised with how well I hit the ball after a 5+ month layoff from the game. Man do I miss it. We've had a rock solid group here in Dallas and it's been great getting to know everyone!

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1396683019' post='9024943']
I hit one ball on the launch monitor in the morning (carried in the mid 280s, total ~310) and played the last 4 holes in the afternoon. Shot +1 (ugly, ugly bogey on the par 5 18th, was greenside in 2) after riding solo in a cart for 14 holes. I'm not medically cleared to play until May and I was happily surprised with how well I hit the ball after a 5+ month layoff from the game. Man do I miss it. We've had a rock solid group here in Dallas and it's been great getting to know everyone!
[/quote]

Did you hit 'em with a "I'll be here all week" after your single drive?? lol

And if you bust that ACL again I'm coming after you...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/880454-maydaygsxrs-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MaydayGSXR' timestamp='1396684349' post='9024965']
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1396683019' post='9024943']
[/quote]

Did you hit 'em with a "I'll be here all week" after your single drive?? lol

And if you bust that ACL again I'm coming after you...
[/quote]

Takes my 9 JetSpeed with BlackTie 7M3 and launches it 18 - 1800 on one leg - still shaking head.

Looks like you all are having fun!

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

To answer the question about what 3 wood and hybrid I went with:

No 3 wood, it went too far. I decided on an SLDR 5 wood turned to 4 wood with an AD BB 8x and the hybrid is a 19* SLDR standard setting with a Speeder tour spec 9.8. Depending on how I hit the hybrid on course this morning Tom Fisher may give me the 21* version instead

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396694158' post='9025087']

No 3 wood, it went too far. I decided on an SLDR 5 wood turned to 4 wood with an AD BB 8x and the hybrid is a 19* SLDR standard setting with a Speeder tour spec 9.8. Depending on how I hit the hybrid on course this morning Tom Fisher may give me the 21* version instead
[/quote]

Great review of your driver fitting! Now to fill in the fairway and hybrid option. Very cool and well thought out. Thanks for the updates. Play well today.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1396674594' post='9024737']
To make this a fair test..............

The shaft you guys were fit for should be put in the driver you were playing for comparison.

Way way more times than not, the shaft is the main reason for added distance. For everyone.

Heads are maxed out. The right shaft maximizes your distance.
[/quote]

I don't feel that is true at all. Just cause a shaft works with one head does not mean it will work in another. Every time a person gets a new head, they most likely need a different shaft to optimize that combo. We all know heads are maxed out, but what this head does is make it possible to launch the ball high while still maintaining low spin. It is very different than any head out there and will most likely require a completely different shaft than what was previously used on your old driver.

Taylormade 17 M2 D Type with Ahina 70s
Ping G30 14.5 stiff
Cleveland Mashie 18 hybrid
Ping I E1 4-uw. Modus 105 stiff
Ping 54, 58 Tour S
Taylormade DJ Spider Tour

[quote name='jongalt55' timestamp='1396678579' post='9024841']
Exhausting day. Quick post before its time to pass out and try to rest up. Thoughts for the day:

1) Color me surprised. I had already been professionally fit by a TM fitter for my R11 and my R11s. I figured even if I did gain yards, it wouldn't be measurable. I picked up 13 yards on average. My fitter (Daryl) tweaked me even a little bit more after I got off the monitor and got my disbursion down. Bottom line, I came in playing a 7.5 degree driver (9 turned down to lowest). I left playing a 10 degree driver that spun less than my gamer and went further. I believe all but one of the participants saw the SLDR beat out their current gamer. Bottom line--the low and forward tech works (we had a good conversation today with Brian Bazzel about how the new CG location creates better vertical gear effect and scrubs off spin). Skeptic or not, the kind of improvment we saw is hard to leave ont he table.

2) There is some other really good stuff coming. Hit the mini driver and the ATV wedges today. Both are solid. The mini can be a driver replacement or a longer 3 wood depending on what you're looking for. The wedges have really clean lines and great turf interaction. Both are worth a look when they come out.

3) These are some first class people. One of the most interesting things about this trip was getting to meet and interact with the TM guys. They have gone out of our way to make the trip an amazing and informative experience for all of us and that, by itself, is amazing. What's cooler is that when you are around these guys, you see that they really do love what they do. These guys don't just work at and run a golf company. They are golfers. They think like golfers and their focus is on trying to make products that make the game more enjoyable for all of us. There is something to be said for that.

I'm exhausted. I hit way to many balls and tried out way too many clubs at the Kingdom (kid in a candy store and all that). A full review and update (with pics) will follow as soon as I'm able.
[/quote]

Brian Bazzel is the man. He along with Chuey got me dialed in. He is the nicest and most passionate person I have met. He really loves what he does. They have an awesome group of people at TM from the top down. Its awesome to see how much fun you all are having. Hit them well today and if you see Brian tell him the Puerto Rican bomber says hi.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1396668452' post='9024265']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1396657224' post='9023105'][quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1396654385' post='9022865']
Gosh I am really tired after hitting all those balls today. The SLDR averaged 42 yards farther for me.

I love the SLDR mini. I just killed the 14 degree off the deck. Knocked one on a par 5 in two which was uphill and a 246 yard second shot.
[/quote]

So did you get a $1,000+ for that?[/quote]

You are correct sir!
[/quote]

Congratulations and congratulations! That is awesome.

It sounded like everyone had a great day. Here is my take on the whole SLDR thang. I am a UK based club builder. I will build whatever the customer asks for but have my favorite products for certain swing speeds and launch conditions. It seems the SLDR really does do what it says for the masses then great as it's been proven with your trip that the stock shaft needs pulling and I am happy to do that for my customers, heck on the back of this piece I am going to pay cash money and get myself a SLDR head to play with (I don't stock TM) I think the disappointment is that the loft up campaign came about after the launch on the the product, yes it works and I don't have a problem with that but is there some mileage in TM released a product that most players are using 2 degrees more loft to achieve distance gains. I guess the point I am making is why wasn't this driver built with better launch in the first place? The other point which I have discussed with some other club builders is the real loft on these club. A colleague face measured a 10.5 head last week and it was 13 Deg, I would be interested to see what the true specs on these fitted clubs really is. Does it matter?, no if you can deliver a weapon that allows regular flex guy to hit 250 yard drives thats amazing, just be a little bit more up front with the truth about these products as many of us are still sore from last years 6 drivers in a season.

This is not anti-TM, as I said I will be testing one next week, just less smoke and mirrors please.

If someone could ask a TM guy if they will be doing any special Masters themed product this year that would be awesome

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396673131' post='9024659']
So I am Austin. I started with the Razr Fit Extreme 8.75 with Diamana Ilima 70x tipped 1.25

During the challenge I tried the 460 and 430 heads in 10.5 loft. Luckily there was 1 430 12 head on the van that I was fortunate enough to get my paws on. I tried a lot of different shafts:
AD MT 6x: hook machine (felt nice though)
Motore Speeder of some sort (all red): NOPE
AD BB 6&7x: not my ideal feel in a shaft and also felt like I had to work twice as hard to get it where it needed to be at impact. (I did pick this shaft for my fairway wood so it must have been a head weight/ shaft profile blunder).
AD DI 7x: the most popular shaft at Reynolds today. It was good not great. The numbers were better than average but feel was not ideal to me.
Mamiya VTS silver 6x: nice feeling shaft but it was spinny unless i really slowed down my transition.
Diamana Kaili 60x: it was the best one of the above bunch from the first ball I hit. Smoothest feel and rock solid numbers. (I hit one with the Kaili 349 but Zak was demanding 350 or bust)
Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65x: first ball I hit with it was absolutely NUKED... Trackman didn't pick it up. The ball actually flew all the way over the range and landed on the opposite side tee Box and one hopped into the shrubbery. Luckily nobody was over there at that time. Made some adjustments to get trackman back on track... Very next ball was just mushed and I saw Zak put his hands in the air... 358. This was the one. We made a few more swings and minor tweaks and that was all she wrote.

Ended up in the SLDR 430 12* set at 11.5 with Oban Kiyoshi Gold 65x tipped 1" D3.

In the end I was going between a
Kaili 60x and the Kiyoshi Gold but the Kiyoshi Gold was just golden. I'll still be thinking about the Kaili for a couple weeks I'm sure.

On course it performed just as
It did during fitting. I had a couple loose swings but for the most part it was awesome. I did hit a 341, 348 and 370 yard drive on #'s 6, 9 and 17 during the round. One was a par 5 that I only had 141 into. I ended up hitting 8/14
Fairways. 1 of which was a 3 wood so I guess 7/13 with driver. Not the best but I was hitting driver on every hole because that was why we were here. The real sleeper of this trip so far has been the TPx ball. I am very find of it and it is the ball I did my fitting with. I can't wait to try them out on a course I am familiar with.

Tonight at Dinner with the Reynolds group we had a discussion with Tom Fisher and Robin English about how to change the public view of the "loft up" campaign because it has received a lot of scrutiny among the golf community. Myself and Andy (CheckJV) came to the conclusion that "loft up" is a misinterpreted phrase to the consumer due to all the years of everyone wanting 7, 7.5, 8 degree drivers. Low lofted clubs mean lower spin clubs right? Not anymore! I came into this as the biggest skeptic of our group and probably the whole trip all together but after getting better numbers with 3 degrees more loft I can honestly say TO YOU SKEPTICS: It is something you must experience to believe. SLDR has all the potential in the world to be great for everyone but a proper fitting is absolutely crucial. The whole idea really is to optimize launch and spin. The SLDR I'm sure is amazing by itself but the shaft you put in it is equally important to hit those optimal numbers.

I feel that the term "loft up" is not appealing to the masses... ESPECIALLY the golf club gurus that our GolfWRX community has within it. I think the campaign should be reintroduced with the term Launch Up in some shape or form because really that is what the majority of golfers need is higher launch. Andy came up with spin down. So it would be Launch Up, spin down. Then the masses will start to ask more questions... How do I launch it higher? How do I get lower spin? Right now there are thousands of golfers that have a 7 or 8 degree driver that think it is low launch low spin because of the loft alone when in reality all it does is launch low. That low lofted driver needs extra spin to stay in the air... Why not flip the spectrum? Launch it twice as high with half the spin?

You want a higher launch? Try a higher lofted head. Taylormade robotic testing has proven 1 degree of loft is 3 times more effective at achieving higher launch than swinging up 1 degree. How do I get my spin down? Low and forward cog along with a properly fit shaft will drastically lower spin. Just by getting a consumer to ask those questions they can get them to enter a whole new realm of golf equipment.

[size=5][b]This is where the custom fitting part comes into play.[/b][/size]and this is where eberybody will see that this is not just hype but the real deal.

Who ever with a 128 swing speed would ever EVER go in a store and buy a 12 degree driver???? Who would even take one for free if they were offered??? NOT ME... Until today.

Don't take my word for it. I am extending the challenge to you guys now. Go test it for yourself (but make sure the shaft is a proper fit as well).

Austin,
ThunderBuzzworth
Bring the Thunder

Hulk smash
Loft up?
[/quote]

Go to a fitting with Titleist, Ping, or Callaway and you will probably see similar results. I am glad you are extremely happy with your SLDR, but this isn't just a SLDR thing - this is a testimony to how everyone should be fitted to their clubs. Some may say I am hating or whatever, but that is far from true. I am just wanting to cut through the TM marketing and get to the real story here. The real story is that being properly can benefit everyone, NO MATTER WHAT BRAND>

Side note - you have some serious power. Just awesome drives!

TaylorMade Stealth 2 10.5* driver 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Titleist t100s (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

I love the reviews so far. It seems like a couple people were fit for the kiyoshi gold, it makes me wanna try it. I know TM just added that shaft to their options for the spring. Hopefully I can find a place to hit it.

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1396694158' post='9025087']

[/quote]

That's some serious speed! How accurate was the new setup compared to the old? I also went with the 21˚ hybrid.. I think you'll hit the 19˚ way too far!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

let me pre-face this by saying this was an awesome opportunity put on by gWRX and TM and congrats to you that went on this trip

AND ...

1. no doubt there is some technology in the SLDR that will help the average golfer pick up some launch and distance, off the rack
2. I think a MAJOR reason MOST picked up yardage, was due to the fact they had trackman, a trained pro fitting them, and access to PERFECT, CORE tested heads with HIGH END, expensive shafts.
3. IT doesn't seem ANYONE was fitted into an OTR shaft. And as a result, w the BASE price of the SLDR, plus the up charge of an expensive shaft, were talking close to a grand w the fitting.
4. I read through most of this, but may have missed it - what were the dispersion numbers like on misses? NO doubt the SLDR could be longer, but how is it when hit slightly off centre? Longest one picked up 24 yards, but a miss was 20 yards off centre? Ill take 24yds less in the fwy.

Again, not hating at all - just wondering about the facts

Great trip, best thread in a long time and had a lot of fun reading through it all
Well done gWRX and TM!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1396639296' post='9021355']
[quote name='golfware' timestamp='1396637631' post='9021167']I can't wait to see HIP's numbers!!![/quote]

No time for me unfortunately so I fit myself >:)

[attachment=2158669:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396639263.171734.jpg]
[/quote]

Is that adapter melted?

Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1396707462' post='9025847']
let me pre-face this by saying this was an awesome opportunity put on by gWRX and TM and congrats to you that went on this trip

AND ...

1. no doubt there is some technology in the SLDR that will help the average golfer pick up some launch and distance, off the rack
2. I think a MAJOR reason MOST picked up yardage, was due to the fact they had trackman, a trained pro fitting them, and access to PERFECT, CORE tested heads with HIGH END, expensive shafts.
3. IT doesn't seem ANYONE was fitted into an OTR shaft. And as a result, w the BASE price of the SLDR, plus the up charge of an expensive shaft, were talking close to a grand w the fitting.
4. I read through most of this, but may have missed it - what were the dispersion numbers like on misses? NO doubt the SLDR could be longer, but how is it when hit slightly off centre? Longest one picked up 24 yards, but a miss was 20 yards off centre? Ill take 24yds less in the fwy.

Again, not hating at all - just wondering about the facts

Great trip, best thread in a long time and had a lot of fun reading through it all
Well done gWRX and TM!
[/quote]

If you need to hit the fairway pull out the 3 wood... :)

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1396707970' post='9025901']
[
If you need to hit the fairway pull out the 3 wood... :)
[/quote]

dually noted :golfer:

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

The Kingdom crew is about ready to head over to LaCosta for a round. By the way TM Bob has the coolest old school bag![attachment=2159795:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396708512.932853.jpg]

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

So we were just hanging out with some local last night. Feeling no pain. [attachment=2159797:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396708556.868678.jpg]

At Ponte Vedra Ocean Course today.

[attachment=2159799:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396708608.822494.jpg]

[attachment=2159801:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396708643.740046.jpg]

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1396708543' post='9025935']
The Kingdom crew is about ready to head over to LaCosta for a round. By the way TM Bob has the coolest old school bag![attachment=2159795:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1396708512.932853.jpg]
[/quote]

I had a guy play our course and had a MINT staff bag from that time frame and I offered him my new TM bag and $100 and he wouldn't bite. I was bummed, that thing was too cool

[quote name='Zach Heusser' timestamp='1396708543' post='9025935']
[/quote]

Great bag TM Bob!! You guys will love LaCosta!!

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Love it guys! I will definitely be headed back into retest the SLDR. This is the best driver TMAG has introduced in quite some time - and for some reason I haven't bit on it... (I really like my driver but that usually doesn't stop me) This is rare! I'm very interested to hear from TMBob about the details of his fitting. Play well today gents and give us the full report when you get home! Enjoy it while you are there...

Tell us more about the ball :)