2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418026099' post='10560911']I'm overdue to post a followup review of my clubs, so here it goes.

The week following the trip I did a lot of side by side comparisons, trying to garner what the differences are and which clubs perform better for me. I came home from the trip with 8 new clubs. Vapor Pro driver set at 8.5º with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x and Vapor Pro irons 4-P with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100. I went into the trip with a Titleist 913D3 8.5º driver and Titleist 714 MB irons with the same shafts.

When I hit the Vapor Pro driver at The Oven, I liked it more than any other Nike driver I've hit previously and I stand by that statement. I hit it well on the course while on the trip, but after giving it a further go, I will not be putting the Vapor Pro in my bag. I hit it extensively since returning home and I like my 913D3 more in almost every single way. The 913D3 sounds better to me, went longer on solid drives, was more forgiving (I think I spin the Vapor Pro too little, an issue many people had with SLDR), and looks better to me (I am still having a hard time getting over the cavity, the crown graphics I find distracting, and I think volt is a color of the month without longevity - and I value timelessness). I tweaked with the loft on the Vapor Pro, cranking it up from 8.5º to 9.5º and that helped a bit, but it still fell short (literally) of my 913D3. Obviously my experience is unique to me but I feel obliged to share. I do not lack length and am not after the best possible launch monitor numbers, I just want something I'm comfortable with. This is part of the reason why I haven't hit 915 yet (though I've been encouraged to).

In regards to the irons, I found it really hard to find any noticeable difference between the Vapor Pros and the 714s. I know the Nikes have the modern muscle tech, but for me feel was incredibly similar, distances were incredibly similar, playability was incredibly similar, and any change in forgiveness was pretty indiscernible. I've had the 714 MBs in my bag for a little over a year, so there was an established comfort and confidence, which I value highly in all my clubs - especially irons. Yet the Vapor Pro irons are both new (unreleased at the time I first got them) and had Tour Issue Dynamic Golds (yes I know they're the same thing as the retail version, just higher QC for weight and a special sticker) which appeals to my inner golf equipment ho. Ultimately the irons were a break even decision and I've chosen to continue with my 714 MBs for a few reasons. They perform really well for me, I have comfort/confidence with them, and my minor OCD would rather have a bag that matches from top to bottom (though I'm not as particular about my putter). So the Vapor Pros somewhat quickly went into an extra bag of mine in the basement until further review.

Fast forward to today and I brought my Nikes out onto the course after having them sit idle for several weeks and my feelings about the clubs are unchanged. I hadn't swung a club in about a week due to being busy + poor weather and shot a 76 (+4) with three 3 putts and a lost ball at Presidio GC in San Francisco. The driver isn't bad, it's just not my favorite. The irons are very good, but the 714 MBs are staying in the bag.[/quote]

It's funny how our comfort level with a club makes a huge difference. I actually did extensive testing with those same two iron sets. Unlike you, I'd been playing the VR Pro blades for 4 years now. Coming to a similar conclusion, the performance of the Vapor pro and the 714 MB were very similar. I was just so used to looking down at the Nike iron, and the Vapor dad such a similar shape, that I went with it over the Titleist. I did, however, switch from the Covert 2.0 woods to the 915 D3 and FD. The 2.0 tour was probably the best driver I've hit in a long time, but the D3 was just as long and much easier on mis hits. Fairway woods were a draw, but it really bugs me if my woods don't match.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418026099' post='10560911']
I'm overdue to post a followup review of my clubs, so here it goes.

The week following the trip I did a lot of side by side comparisons, trying to garner what the differences are and which clubs perform better for me. I came home from the trip with 8 new clubs. Vapor Pro driver set at 8.5º with a Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x and Vapor Pro irons 4-P with Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100. I went into the trip with a Titleist 913D3 8.5º driver and Titleist 714 MB irons with the same shafts.

When I hit the Vapor Pro driver at The Oven, I liked it more than any other Nike driver I've hit previously and I stand by that statement. I hit it well on the course while on the trip, but after giving it a further go, I will not be putting the Vapor Pro in my bag. I hit it extensively since returning home and I like my 913D3 more in almost every single way. The 913D3 sounds better to me, went longer on solid drives, was more forgiving (I think I spin the Vapor Pro too little, an issue many people had with SLDR), and looks better to me (I am still having a hard time getting over the cavity, the crown graphics I find distracting, and I think volt is a color of the month without longevity - and I value timelessness). I tweaked with the loft on the Vapor Pro, cranking it up from 8.5º to 9.5º and that helped a bit, but it still fell short (literally) of my 913D3. Obviously my experience is unique to me but I feel obliged to share. I do not lack length and am not after the best possible launch monitor numbers, I just want something I'm comfortable with. This is part of the reason why I haven't hit 915 yet (though I've been encouraged to).

In regards to the irons, I found it really hard to find any noticeable difference between the Vapor Pros and the 714s. I know the Nikes have the modern muscle tech, but for me feel was incredibly similar, distances were incredibly similar, playability was incredibly similar, and any change in forgiveness was pretty indiscernible. I've had the 714 MBs in my bag for a little over a year, so there was an established comfort and confidence, which I value highly in all my clubs - especially irons. Yet the Vapor Pro irons are both new (unreleased at the time I first got them) and had Tour Issue Dynamic Golds (yes I know they're the same thing as the retail version, just higher QC for weight and a special sticker) which appeals to my inner golf equipment ho. Ultimately the irons were a break even decision and I've chosen to continue with my 714 MBs for a few reasons. They perform really well for me, I have comfort/confidence with them, and my minor OCD would rather have a bag that matches from top to bottom (though I'm not as particular about my putter). So the Vapor Pros somewhat quickly went into an extra bag of mine in the basement until further review.

Fast forward to today and I brought my Nikes out onto the course after having them sit idle for several weeks and my feelings about the clubs are unchanged. I hadn't swung a club in about a week due to being busy + poor weather and shot a 76 (+4) with three 3 putts and a lost ball at Presidio GC in San Francisco. The driver isn't bad, it's just not my favorite. The irons are very good, but the 714 MBs are staying in the bag.
[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.

A little off topic but what was your thought on the 915 vs 913? Maybe you already answered it in another 915 thread but curious to hear what you thought

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1418073579' post='10563725']
A little off topic but what was your thought on the 915 vs 913? Maybe you already answered it in another 915 thread but curious to hear what you thought
[/quote]

Haven't hit 915 yet and without access to a wide variety of aftermarket/high end shafts I don't really have a strong desire to. I definitely was spoiled during my fitting at TPI and doing anything less than that now would feel incomplete or leave question marks in my mind. That being said to me 915 looks like a Titleist product and follows the very natural progression that most of their products have. Kinda like Apple and iPhones, I don't upgrade after every new iteration is released, I prefer to wait for two cycles once more substantial technological jumps have been made.

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418074941' post='10563849']
[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1418073579' post='10563725']
[/quote]

Haven't hit 915 yet and without access to a wide variety of aftermarket/high end shafts I don't really have a strong desire to. I definitely was spoiled during my fitting at TPI and doing anything less than that now would feel incomplete or leave question marks in my mind. That being said to me 915 looks like a Titleist product and follows the very natural progression that most of their products have. Kinda like Apple and iPhones, I don't upgrade after every new iteration is released, I prefer to wait for two cycles once more substantial technological jumps have been made.
[/quote]

awesome thanks!

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

I think the feel reviews are just as important as the numbers reviews. it is very interesting to hear as I had a 913 on a recent trip where I had to use a rental set. Sounds like I missed out because I really did enjoy the 913 and it sounds like you do too. The thing I like about your view is it shows that you did a great job fitting yourself if you years back.

Unfortunately most of us here would not stop at having a great fitting. We are always on the lookout for what is new and exciting year after year. I think even if I found a great deal on a 913 in the BST I wouldn't game it. There is just something about having a fresh new head every year. Thanks again and I hope that this is in your last review. I would love to hear how things go for you once the weather breaks and if you give these another shot more so the irons than the driver for me.

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1418075153' post='10563871']
I'm actually surprised that you didn't end up sticking with the Vapor Pros. I know your initial review was full of high praise - increased forgiveness and better turf work.

Kind of a bummer they're not staying in the bag full-time.
[/quote]

Forgiveness in a blade is essentially non existent, so a marginal increase doesn't mean much. Turf interaction is really good - but it is also really good with my 714 MBs. Decided to stay with what I have an established comfort with. Call me old school.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1418077939' post='10564111']
I think the feel reviews are just as important as the numbers reviews. it is very interesting to hear as I had a 913 on a recent trip where I had to use a rental set. Sounds like I missed out because I really did enjoy the 913 and it sounds like you do too. The thing I like about your view is it shows that you did a great job fitting yourself if you years back.

Unfortunately most of us here would not stop at having a great fitting. We are always on the lookout for what is new and exciting year after year. I think even if I found a great deal on a 913 in the BST I wouldn't game it. There is just something about having a fresh new head every year. Thanks again and I hope that this is in your last review. I would love to hear how things go for you once the weather breaks and if you give these another shot more so the irons than the driver for me.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I think in this launch monitor era people get too worked up about the science and don't focus on the art (and mental) side of the game. I already hit the ball 300+, I don't care to increase launch angle by a half a degree and drop spin 100 rpm in hopes of picking up a couple extra yards. Obviously the latest equipment still peaks my interest, but I'm a little tired changing up my bag just because.

Fast forward to today and I brought my Nikes out onto the course after having them sit idle for several weeks and my feelings about the clubs are unchanged. I hadn't swung a club in about a week due to being busy + poor weather and shot a 76 (+4) with three 3 putts and a lost ball at Presidio GC in San Francisco. The driver isn't bad, it's just not my favorite. The irons are very good, but the 714 MBs are staying in the bag.
[/quote]

Instead of them sitting in your basement, feel free to send them my way!! I will gladly game them

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

I can understand how OCD plays a part in a complete bag makeup. If the driver is hands down better for you it is hard shelving irons that have been proven for a year!

I would be very curious to see how the FLEX head would perform against the 913. We all swing different, but the 913d3 was one of the spinniest driver heads I have games a year and a half ago. I owned it twice and really tried to make it work.

Bjackson...playing the SF CITY? I know it's a bit off topic...just curious

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[/quote]

I think this is a very fair, well thought out and honest review that the entire site deserves and should appreciate. I have to admit that I am a little surprised with the feelings regarding VOLT. This is the way that I have felt from day one (incase you were not aware of that :) ) I am surprised because I think the color and reasons behind it has a lo to do with UO. Of course there are other reasons that all circle back to the bottom line, but I think Knight, North West sports and UO are some key reasons that Nike has adopted the color.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1418109530' post='10566119']
I think this is a very fair, well thought out and honest review that the entire site deserves and should appreciate. I have to admit that I am a little surprised with the feelings regarding VOLT. This is the way that I have felt from day one (incase you were not aware of that :) ) I am surprised because I think the color and reasons behind it has a lo to do with UO. Of course there are other reasons that all circle back to the bottom line, but I think Knight, North West sports and UO are some key reasons that Nike has adopted the color.
[/quote]

Thanks buddy. In regards to Volt and it being associated with the University of Oregon I agree completely; and shouldn't that be a reason why I love it? I mean my four year as an undergraduate aligned perfectly with Chip Kelly's four years as head coach of the football team ([url="http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Darron+Thomas+Tostitos+BCS+National+Championship+A9qSPwtXOVhl.jpg"]when we were Volt'd out for the 2011 BCS National Championship game the color really picked up momentum[/url]). I freaking loved my time in Eugene. Yet it is fleeting. If you look at Titleist over time they are incredibly consistent with white/black and red accents. Mizuno is blue. Ping doesn't have particularly bright colors. I can mix and match clubs from varying generations and still have my bag photograph well (call me crazy in the I value the aesthetic appeal of my bag, but I do). With Nike you go from blue (Forged driver) to orange (Ignite) to red (CPR) to yellow (SQ) to red (Covert) to volt (Vapor).

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418111436' post='10566133']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1418109530' post='10566119']
[/quote]

Thanks buddy. In regards to Volt and it being associated with the University of Oregon I agree completely; and shouldn't that be a reason why I love it? I mean my four year as an undergraduate aligned perfectly with Chip Kelly's four years as head coach of the football team ([url="http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Darron+Thomas+Tostitos+BCS+National+Championship+A9qSPwtXOVhl.jpg"]when we were Volt'd out for the 2011 BCS National Championship game the color really picked up momentum[/url]). I freaking loved my time in Eugene. Yet it is fleeting. If you look at Titleist over time they are incredibly consistent with white/black and red accents. Mizuno is blue. Ping doesn't have particularly bright colors. I can mix and match clubs from varying generations and still have my bag photograph well (call me crazy in the I value the aesthetic appeal of my bag, but I do). With Nike you go from blue (Forged driver) to orange (Ignite) to red (CPR) to yellow (SQ) to red (Covert) to volt (Vapor).
[/quote]

Phil Knight and his team have done an incredible job that's for sure and yeah I expected of all people you to love it. In my opinion the best thing about VOLT are the tees you sent me, best tees ever, I can find those thing anywhere near the tee box.

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1418105999' post='10566063']
[/quote]

Likely, as well as other local city tournaments, NCGA events, state amateur, and USGA events. I didn't play much tournament golf while in college and was recovering from knee surgery the better portion of 2014, but I am really looking forward to getting back into playing competitively in 2015. Haven't really done so since my junior golf days.

Thanks for the honest feedback, bjackson. Seems like no doubt the Nike's are good sticks, but (not surprisingly) nothing game-changing. Pretty tough for companies to come out with something truly head and shoulders better than what's already out there at this point. Do you have wedges or any other clubs still on the way to be tested?

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418115235' post='10566169']
[/quote]

Likely, as well as other local city tournaments, NCGA events, state amateur, and USGA events. I didn't play much tournament golf while in college and was recovering from knee surgery the better portion of 2014, but I am really looking forward to getting back into playing competitively in 2015. Haven't really done so since my junior golf days.
[/quote]

So the real question is why don't you shoot those sticks over to me so I ca give them a whirl. It would be a crime to let those sit in the bag for misfit toys somewhere in the basement. ;) Plus the Vapor Pro driver would fit nicely with my tesing for my WITB thread. Help me help the board BJackson :)

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1418130064' post='10566429']
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418115235' post='10566169']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So the real question is why don't you shoot those sticks over to me so I ca give them a whirl. It would be a crime to let those sit in the bag for misfit toys somewhere in the basement. ;) Plus the Vapor Pro driver would fit nicely with my tesing for my WITB thread. Help me help the board BJackson :)
[/quote]

HELP ME. HELP YOU.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

Haha exactly Hayzoos

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

[/quote]

Great and honest review. I have been playing the 714 MBs and all Titleist bag on and off the last year but just picked up a set of the Vapor Pros. They look great and feel great so far but time will tell. Looking forward to the driver release and to see how it performs against my 915.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418194728' post='10571225']
[quote name='AbbVT24' timestamp='1418128147' post='10566343']
Do you have wedges or any other clubs still on the way to be tested?
[/quote]

From Nike, not that I know of. I do have a set of TaylorMade RSi TPs coming at some point.
[/quote]

It'll be interesting to see how they stack up, since they're fairly different from the MBs you're playing right now. Same shafts?

[quote name='AbbVT24' timestamp='1418214666' post='10571515']
It'll be interesting to see how they stack up, since they're fairly different from the MBs you're playing right now. Same shafts?
[/quote]

I suppose, though I don't expect them to be terribly different. Obviously blades aren't forgiving, but players cavity backs aren't terribly forgiving either. A miss is a miss. Shafts are the same thing I've played since high school, good ole DG X100.

Can anyone tell me what the name of the backpack in this picture is? I need a small travel backpack that I can carry an iPad and a couple of items in.

Just got to the hotel in Dallas along with Pure735, swanry30, and atursky. We were all given backpacks as we checked into our rooms and somehow while the other guys got standard black backpacks, mine is Volt (that's for you scratchswinger)! Talk about winning the golden ticket! Included in the backpack was a pair of Lunar Waverley shoes, socks, polo, quarter zip, wind breaker, FuelBand, dozen Volt colored RZN Black balls, beanie, t shirt, and dopp kit.

post-8942-0-75717300-1413404315_thumb.jpg

post-8942-0-26676200-1413842776.jpg

[url="http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/cheyenne-vapor-2-running-backpack/pid-1466037/pgid-798847"]Backpack[/url] - "Cheyenne Vapor 2" [url="http://www.amazon.com/Cheyenne-Vapor-Running-Backpack-Yellow/dp/B00LIQI98A/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1418228226&sr=1-2&keywords=nike+cheyenne+vapor+2"]you can get the volt one on Amazon.[/url]
[url="http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/studio-kit-bag/pid-1487597/pgid-1487598"]Dopp kit[/url] - "Nike Studio"

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1418228135' post='10572363']
[url="http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/cheyenne-vapor-2-running-backpack/pid-1466037/pgid-798847"]Backpack[/url] - "Cheyenne Vapor 2" [url="http://www.amazon.com/Cheyenne-Vapor-Running-Backpack-Yellow/dp/B00LIQI98A/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1418228226&sr=1-2&keywords=nike+cheyenne+vapor+2"]you can get the volt one on Amazon.[/url]
[url="http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/studio-kit-bag/pid-1487597/pgid-1487598"]Dopp kit[/url] - "Nike Studio"
[/quote]
Good looking out!

That backpack is awesome, but $125 is steep! Tis' the season ...

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5