Anyone think playing too fast is actually in poor etiquette?

vbb

> @bladehunter said:

> Honest to goodness. I rarely if ever take a practice swing .... maybe if I’m trying to draw a driver and need to feel that shot shape. I don’t even take practice strokes with a putter. Waste of energy. I have no clue how youd play in 235. Has to be lack of putts. As in whack the 30 footer and rake back the 6 footer that’s left ? If that’s true. That’s half the game not played. I know. I’ve chronicled my ridiculous amount of greens hit and no putts made in tournament play this year ... was told that I was playing half the game well and that I suck. Lol. Then accused of being full of **** and/or lying about it. .... if I were going to make up a lie about this game , it sure as **** would have a happy ending .... anyway.

>

> I’m not saying that’s what you are doing. But the guy above I quoted certainly isn’t putting out and he isn’t just raking back 2 footers either.

I don't doubt that it takes you as long as you say, no practice swings and all. Without having seen you play I don't know where the extra half-hour or so is spent but you're doing something that I don't do. Unless you're one of those 80-year-old guys who literally can't move faster than a crawl (and I'm not poking fun, we'll all be there one day if god willing we live long enough).

But you shouldn't doubt that I can take my 85 or 90 (or 95, yikes!) shots and finish in under 3 hours solo or maybe 3:05 or 3:10 in a twosome or threesome. And never be rushing or out of breath or raking back putts. I walk and use a push cart. So as I get to the ball I know what club I'm going to need and I can be pulling it out as I arrive. Once I'm in place with the club in hand it only takes maybe 15-20 seconds to get lined up and pull the trigger. By the time a full shot lands, the club is back in the bag and we're rolling again.

I line up my putts (even the 18"-ers which I am eminently capable of missing if I just swat them) but I continuous putt and if nobody else is ready I will start continuous putting while whoever is "away" is still reading. And I try really hard not to hesitate once I step up to putt. I've found that when I'm putting badly it's almost always from taking a third or fourth look at the hole while over the ball or hesitating before starting the stroke, not from rushing.

So you can see, my whole game is about my "routine" which is mostly about being decisive, not overthinking anything and not standing still long enough (if I can avoid it) to get tense or second-guess a shot. I've got a lot of flexibility. If a round takes a half-hour longer than my ideal pace, years ago that drove me crazy but I've learned to deal with it. Still, it reaches a point where my heart just isn't in the round any more if I've been out there standing around too much.

I actually have learned to dial back to solo-round pace to right around 3 hours even on an empty course. Mostly by getting used to literally walking slowly, taking smaller strides and not quite as quickly. Just because being used to 3 hours and slowing down to 3-1/2 if necessary is easier than being used to 2-1/2 hours and having to slow down to 3-1/2. But I don't really think I could walk any slower than I am now without actually thinking "WALK SLOWER" every step of the way.

I’m a slow player. I admit it. Not because I take a zillion practice swings or wait on everyone else to get through before I hit. I’ll typically have at least two holes a round that I’ll shoot 8 or better on. Just getting back to playing after having not played for 20 years!!

I went the other morning with my son to our local course that I have recently become a member at. Because the front was kinda crowded we started on the back nine. My son had teed up his ball on the #10 par three when two carts came flying up. One pulled diagonally in front of me blocking me from moving my cart. He jumps out of the cart and says we’re playing through we play fast! Jumps in front of my son and tees off. We stood at watched as the four of them teed off. As they where driving off of the tee box one of them yelled from the cart that there was another group behind them that also played fast. We just stood and watched as they finished the hole. We teed off. My son was standing on the green on a par three and I was just behind the green pitching. The next group gets there and all of them tee off on a par three with my son standing on the green! I was extremely furious but I didn’t say anything.

Played Saturday morning after this round and was at the #10 tee getting ready to tee off when the same group pulls up and does almost the same thing again! Of course they are long standing members and nobody is going to say anything to them.

For the record I always let anyone play through that plays up close behind me. I have NO problem doing that and do it regularly. What I had the biggest issue here with was the fact that the second group teed off with my son standing on the green of a par three. It was all just rude and took me a few days to really get over lol.

• Like 1

I'm again up at the computer at 5:30 and will head up for the first tee off. Yes playing with a group that doesn't dawdle at all is important. Yes I can do 4:10 rounds (which is the POP at our course). Just pretty easy as a foursome to be done in about 3:15 at worst. And yes will ensure i don't bother the others with my pace.

P.S. Today is Men's day and if I went at 4:00 it'd be 2:20 to play the front nine, which doesn't return to the clubhouse so another 10-15 for the van pickup or a mile walk back. So damn right I'd rather play 18 and be back at the office before 11:00.

If you are trying to be considerate then that's good enough for me. It doesn't matter what your pace is , it will always be a problem for somebody, that's just the nature of some golfers. All you can do is show consideration as you've stated and hope that other groups let you play through - if you are genuinely appearing relaxed and not hitting up too close to them, then you're not the problem.

> @Mikey75 said:

> I’m a slow player. I admit it. Not because I take a zillion practice swings or wait on everyone else to get through before I hit. I’ll typically have at least two holes a round that I’ll shoot 8 or better on. Just getting back to playing after having not played for 20 years!!

>

> I went the other morning with my son to our local course that I have recently become a member at. Because the front was kinda crowded we started on the back nine. My son had teed up his ball on the #10 par three when two carts came flying up. One pulled diagonally in front of me blocking me from moving my cart. He jumps out of the cart and says we’re playing through we play fast! Jumps in front of my son and tees off. We stood at watched as the four of them teed off. As they where driving off of the tee box one of them yelled from the cart that there was another group behind them that also played fast. We just stood and watched as they finished the hole. We teed off. My son was standing on the green on a par three and I was just behind the green pitching. The next group gets there and all of them tee off on a par three with my son standing on the green! I was extremely furious but I didn’t say anything.

>

> Played Saturday morning after this round and was at the #10 tee getting ready to tee off when the same group pulls up and does almost the same thing again! Of course they are long standing members and nobody is going to say anything to them.

>

>

> For the record I always let anyone play through that plays up close behind me. I have NO problem doing that and do it regularly. What I had the biggest issue here with was the fact that the second group teed off with my son standing on the green of a par three. It was all just rude and took me a few days to really get over lol.

On a busy morning, I'm surprised the starter let you out on 10. Generally, groups starting on 10 yield to folks making the turn, so maybe these guys had just finished up on 9. If that was the case, they should have communicated that to you; and it certainly doesn't excuse the 2nd group hitting into you while your son was on the green. You absolutely should have said something to them. I certainly would have....and may have even fired their balls back toward the tee box......

> @Mikey75 said:

> I’m a slow player. I admit it. Not because I take a zillion practice swings or wait on everyone else to get through before I hit. I’ll typically have at least two holes a round that I’ll shoot 8 or better on. Just getting back to playing after having not played for 20 years!!

>

> I went the other morning with my son to our local course that I have recently become a member at. Because the front was kinda crowded we started on the back nine. My son had teed up his ball on the #10 par three when two carts came flying up. One pulled diagonally in front of me blocking me from moving my cart. He jumps out of the cart and says we’re playing through we play fast! Jumps in front of my son and tees off. We stood at watched as the four of them teed off. As they where driving off of the tee box one of them yelled from the cart that there was another group behind them that also played fast. We just stood and watched as they finished the hole. We teed off. My son was standing on the green on a par three and I was just behind the green pitching. The next group gets there and all of them tee off on a par three with my son standing on the green! I was extremely furious but I didn’t say anything.

>

> Played Saturday morning after this round and was at the #10 tee getting ready to tee off when the same group pulls up and does almost the same thing again! Of course they are long standing members and nobody is going to say anything to them.

>

>

> For the record I always let anyone play through that plays up close behind me. I have NO problem doing that and do it regularly. What I had the biggest issue here with was the fact that the second group teed off with my son standing on the green of a par three. It was all just rude and took me a few days to really get over lol.

I would have said something, and they most likely would not have liked what I had to say. I would probably have picked up their balls and let them come try to get them back. I would have also said something to management afterward. Hitting into a par 3 while someone is on the green goes well beyond just being rude, it’s downright dangerous.

> @bigred90gt said:

> > @Mikey75 said:

> > I’m a slow player. I admit it. Not because I take a zillion practice swings or wait on everyone else to get through before I hit. I’ll typically have at least two holes a round that I’ll shoot 8 or better on. Just getting back to playing after having not played for 20 years!!

> >

> > I went the other morning with my son to our local course that I have recently become a member at. Because the front was kinda crowded we started on the back nine. My son had teed up his ball on the #10 par three when two carts came flying up. One pulled diagonally in front of me blocking me from moving my cart. He jumps out of the cart and says we’re playing through we play fast! Jumps in front of my son and tees off. We stood at watched as the four of them teed off. As they where driving off of the tee box one of them yelled from the cart that there was another group behind them that also played fast. We just stood and watched as they finished the hole. We teed off. My son was standing on the green on a par three and I was just behind the green pitching. The next group gets there and all of them tee off on a par three with my son standing on the green! I was extremely furious but I didn’t say anything.

> >

> > Played Saturday morning after this round and was at the #10 tee getting ready to tee off when the same group pulls up and does almost the same thing again! Of course they are long standing members and nobody is going to say anything to them.

> >

> >

> > For the record I always let anyone play through that plays up close behind me. I have NO problem doing that and do it regularly. What I had the biggest issue here with was the fact that the second group teed off with my son standing on the green of a par three. It was all just rude and took me a few days to really get over lol.

>

>

> I would have said something, and they most likely would not have liked what I had to say. I would probably have picked up their balls and let them come try to get them back. I would have also said something to management afterward. Hitting into a par 3 while someone is on the green goes well beyond just being rude, it’s downright dangerous.

>

I think I like your idea better....... I could always use a couple more ProV1s!!!

> @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> On a busy morning, I'm surprised the starter let you out on 10. Generally, groups starting on 10 yield to folks making the turn, so maybe these guys had just finished up on 9. If that was the case, they should have communicated that to you; and it certainly doesn't excuse the 2nd group hitting into you while your son was on the green. You absolutely should have said something to them. I certainly would have....and may have even fired their balls back toward the tee box......

It wasn’t a busy morning at all when me and my son played. It was on a Thursday morning and there where only four or five cars in the parking lot.

Saturday morning it was busy. It isn’t uncommon here for the starter to start us on the back nine or even just pick a hole and start us there. The only time our course is remotely busy is on Saturdays or the occasional tournament. Most of the time it’s not even to bad on Saturdays.

After seeing the times listed here for playing a round I’m feeling like I’m not as slow as I thought I was. I typically only have time to play nine but I can usually knock nine out in 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours max.

> @Mikey75 said:

> > @"Crazy About Golf" said:

> > On a busy morning, I'm surprised the starter let you out on 10. Generally, groups starting on 10 yield to folks making the turn, so maybe these guys had just finished up on 9. If that was the case, they should have communicated that to you; and it certainly doesn't excuse the 2nd group hitting into you while your son was on the green. You absolutely should have said something to them. I certainly would have....and may have even fired their balls back toward the tee box......

>

>

> It wasn’t a busy morning at all when me and my son played. It was on a Thursday morning and there where only four or five cars in the parking lot.

> Saturday morning it was busy. It isn’t uncommon here for the starter to start us on the back nine or even just pick a hole and start us there. The only time our course is remotely busy is on Saturdays or the occasional tournament. Most of the time it’s not even to bad on Saturdays.

>

> After seeing the times listed here for playing a round I’m feeling like I’m not as slow as I thought I was. I typically only have time to play nine but I can usually knock nine out in 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours max.

>

I suppose I inferred your saying "because the front was kinda crowded we started on the back nine" to mean that the course was busy. That being said, what a shame a couple selfish pr*cks spoiled what would have otherwise been an enjoyable time with your son. Hats off to you for taking the high road and setting a good example for your son by not flying off the handle when that happened......

If you are in such a hurry that you don't help your partners look for lost balls, or you are putting out ahead of them then yes. Everyone should play ready golf, and there is no reason a round shouldn't be completed under 4 hours, but rude is rude. Part of golf is the socializing, within reason.

I have played 18 holes in 2.25 hours as a two-some when the course was empty, and 1.5 as a single with a cart when the course was empty. When playing a normal round of golf with people on the course, and in a 4-some, you need to remember its golf, not race. Ideally I think you can play in 3.5 hours if everyone on the course is playing ready golf.

I played with a guy the a few months ago who was in a cart by himself, he zoomed ahead while I was searching for a ball in the rough and was putting out while I was still searching, I wasn't even at the allotted search time yet. I mean what are you in a hurry to do, hit into the group ahead of us?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I was thinking to myself, hmm... this is a pretty good thread topic when I read the title. Turns out I started this thread almost 5 years ago, haha! Well, as a bit of an update to my first post, I still play fast, though not quite as impatiently as I used to. For one, I no longer jog between shots. Secondly, I've developed more of a pre-shot routine, though it still doesn't involve practice swings, but at least it is me getting set over the ball, identifying a target, and focusing on a couple of feels/moves I want to make. My handicap index has come down 4-5 strokes since I originally posted this and I'm playing better golf.

Still though, my comfortable pace for golf is finishing 18, walking, in about 3:15. This is achievable if I tee off super early on a weekend, or on a random weekday afternoon if I can get free. On the rare occasions where I have to play during the peak times at the course, and the rounds take 4:15-4:30 it really feels like it is dragging. I am better at not letting it bother me though, and focus more on the socializing aspect of the game and concentrating on each shot. I'd much prefer to play faster, but I don't own the course!

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I think more than being stuck behind a slow group, I get REALLY bothered when a playing partner is the slow player. Knowing I'm falling out of position on the course and watching the group ahead get away is really distracting for me and does affect my play. I have a good buddy who is a better golfer than me (usually) that is horribly indecisive over his shots. He will step up and take his tee shots relatively quickly, but everything after that is very deliberate. He'll stand over an iron shot, take a practice swing or two and THEN go back to his bag and change clubs. He'll back off shots for seemingly no reason and start his routine over. I love the guy and love our competitions because he's just slightly better than me and the matches are always close, but playing with him on a packed day can be highly frustrating.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

• 3 years later...

Played a round today, theres a 3 ball in front of us, and a 3 ball behind.

9th hole at the club has a dogleg over a corner with a bell about 100 yards from the green to warn people the landing area is clear. Our group of 4 obviously waits for the three in front to let us know the fairway is clear, so we tee off.

Group behind tees off because they cant cut the corner, and catch up a bit because of the forced wait.

Then on 10th hole, we finish the hole and go to the 11th tee to tee off. Group behind comes up before finishing the 10th green and says why cant we hurry up, youve lost a hole (which we hadnt). One member of our group says weve not lost a hole. Guy says "speed up" and I say "no".

After the round apparently im going to be reported to my club manager about it for our group holding people up.

3 of them, 4 of us, following 3 in front.

Is there seriously any need to be so triggered over a game of golf? I cannot believe people cant just enjoy their time on the course without feeling the need to shout at people down a fairway to hurry up for no reason.

For the record, I shot 72 today, they probably shot 100. But i suppose at least they hacked and walked quickly.

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

6 hours ago, Denny100 said:

Played a round today, theres a 3 ball in front of us, and a 3 ball behind.

9th hole at the club has a dogleg over a corner with a bell about 100 yards from the green to warn people the landing area is clear. Our group of 4 obviously waits for the three in front to let us know the fairway is clear, so we tee off.

Group behind tees off because they cant cut the corner, and catch up a bit because of the forced wait.

Then on 10th hole, we finish the hole and go to the 11th tee to tee off. Group behind comes up before finishing the 10th green and says why cant we hurry up, youve lost a hole (which we hadnt). One member of our group says weve not lost a hole. Guy says "speed up" and I say "no".

After the round apparently im going to be reported to my club manager about it for our group holding people up.

3 of them, 4 of us, following 3 in front.

Is there seriously any need to be so triggered over a game of golf? I cannot believe people cant just enjoy their time on the course without feeling the need to shout at people down a fairway to hurry up for no reason.

For the record, I shot 72 today, they probably shot 100. But i suppose at least they hacked and walked quickly.

Wowzers resurrected a 3 1/2 year old thread. But maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Maybe they thought they knew the group ahead of your group was ahead and well clear. But that was not the case. Before your group tee’d off on the 11th. Where was the group in front of your group? Were they still on the 11th fairway? We’re they on the 11th green? Were they clear of the 11th and was at or headed to the 12th?

Edited by I'_rather_be_golfing

5 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Wowzers resurrected a 3 1/2 year old thread. But maybe it was just a misunderstanding. Maybe they thought they knew the group ahead of your group was ahead and well clear. But that was not the case. Before your group tee’d off on the 11th. Where was the group in front of your group? Were they still on the 11th fairway? We’re they on the 11th green? Were they clear of the 11th and was at or headed to the 12th?

There is bound to be a concertina effect around a golf course because you will always need fairways and greens to clear to the extent that the people waiting can hit. If a person can hit a 270 yard tee shot, 270 yards needs to be cleared.

If you can only hit it 180, you obviously dont wait as long.

As we teed off on 11, group in front was moving up to the green. There is THREE of them, and we are four. So for a brief moment you could say we are out of place, which we arent as we instantly catch up due to the concertina effect i mention.

Im to be honest sick of useless anti golfers who cant play for sh*t and the only redeeming quality theyve got is to hack around quickly. Well done on being fast, useless, and idiots.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Denny100 said:

There is bound to be a concertina effect around a golf course because you will always need fairways and greens to clear to the extent that the people waiting can hit. If a person can hit a 270 yard tee shot, 270 yards needs to be cleared.

If you can only hit it 180, you obviously dont wait as long.

As we teed off on 11, group in front was moving up to the green. There is THREE of them, and we are four. So for a brief moment you could say we are out of place, which we arent as we instantly catch up due to the concertina effect i mention.

Im to be honest sick of useless anti golfers who cant play for sh*t and the only redeeming quality theyve got is to hack around quickly. Well done on being fast, useless, and idiots.

Doesn’t matter if they are hacks. If they are playing faster. And are always on your tails after each hole.  You probably should have let them through so it is 3-3-4 instead of 3-4-3. Doesn’t sound like you guys were in any hurry and not waiting on the group in front. If you are shooting a 72 and your group is shooting well. And you are assuming these hacks were shooting in the 100’s. But yet kept up on your tails. You probably should have still let them through. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I'_rather_be_golfing said:

Doesn’t matter if they are hacks. If they are playing faster. And are always on your tails after each hole.  You probably should have let them through so it is 3-3-4 instead of 3-4-3. Doesn’t sound like you guys were in any hurry and not waiting on the group in front. If you are shooting a 72 and your group is shooting well. And you are assuming these hacks were shooting in the 100’s. But yet kept up on your tails. You probably should have still let them through. 

And then theyre going to be in the group in front still going nowhere anyway.

Most of the people running round are doing so because theyre not even trying to play properly. Bashing balls out of bounds and taking a lateral. Not finishing holes. Never reading a putt.

Why cant people just play and enjoy themselves. ITS GOLF FOR F***S SAKE. You should be trying to suck less, not run around in 2.5 hours so you can drink 7 beers and talk about shooting 98.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

There is an attitude here that is unfortunate. Whether you can shoot 72 or 98 does not matter one bit. You can play just as fast, enjoy the game, and treat others with courtesy and respect either way. 

I’ve been playing the game for 50 years, play 70 rounds or so every year, take lessons, and practice a lot. I will never shoot 72 on a consistent basis. God did not give me the athletic ability. So does my 88 mean I’m a “hack” or a “useless anti golfer who can’t play for sh*t” and someone who “needs to suck less”? 

When I started playing at 13 years old my grandfather (who was a scratch golfer, BTW) told me that no matter how good or bad I was, if I played fast anyone would play with me. So I play fast. I read putts, but don’t look at every putt from three angles. If I don’t always have the perfect read… oh well. I’m not good enough to start it on the right line every time anyway. 

Whether you were right or wrong to be upset in the situation you describe is for others to decide. But I challenge the notion that the skill of the golfers has anything to do with it. Or that you are somehow more entitled to patience or respect on the course because you can shoot 72 and I can’t.

Where do you draw the line?

Shouting at people down a fairway is utterly pathetic.

If next week the roles are reversed and we are behind the same group, and we decide screw it were just going to run round and be right behind all day and then maybe on one hole we will just shout at them, are we in the right to do that then?

I dont understand it. Ive absolutely no idea why on a busy saturday where theres groups on every hole why youd ram into the back of other people for no reason. If we let them through then what? they just stand there a group in front. They expect every single group will let them through for SEVEN more holes?

Its blatantly obvious that if you have to wait for a green to clear or wait for people to clear a certain distance in the fairway, there is going to be a wait of SOME KIND unless youre just intending to tap it 200 yards off the tee, and if you are when you can hit it 280 yards, whats the point? hit the wrong clubs just so you move along to please someone else?

No one can go anywhere. Whats the point getting upset. Golf's popular. It takes a while to get round when courses are busy. Theres also players out there who are trying their best and probably not all that quick.

Ive told the people involved as much and if they dont like it, they can get f****d.

9 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

Theres also players out there who are trying their best and probably not all that quick.

There is no reason a person should play slow just because they are trying. Most people would probably play better if they picked up the pace. It’s not the tour. Don’t act like it is.

I’m wondering what you’ve left out of the story. You keep referring to irrelevant factors like scores and trying to make yourself look superior. If you were in position through the hole they yelled at you and they were out of line yelling at you, then you wouldn’t be worried about getting reported. Did the manager or board follow up with you after the round?

Just now, klebs01 said:

There is no reason a person should play slow just because they are trying. Most people would probably play better if they picked up the pace. It’s not the tour. Don’t act like it is.

I’m wondering what you’ve left out of the story. You keep referring to irrelevant factors like scores and trying to make yourself look superior. If you were in position through the hole they yelled at you and they were out of line yelling at you, then you wouldn’t be worried about getting reported. Did the manager or board follow up with you after the round?

Ive not left anything out of the story. Im not worried about being reported either. In fact I couldnt care less. Ill take my money somewhere else and why would I care?

What do you think ive left out. I just told you. The group shouted at us as we left the 11th tee, and the group in front we just about to walk up onto the green. So we are on the same hole. We havent lost a hole.

We are four people on the same hole as a group of three. And we have to wait before we can hit because of said group because we are going to cut corners and hit it further than other people. What cant you understand about this.

The wider point that pisses me off and why i found this thread, is why the hell should people whos only intention is to try and play at the speed of light push other people around. Especially when said people are often completely rubbish golfers who dont even figure out how far theyve got to a hole, dont clean a club, dont repair a pitchmark, dont rake a bunker, they just walk up to the ball and smack it anywhere, walk up to it again and smack it again brainlessly.

If your golf score is irrelevant, why the hell are you there playing golf in the first place. If youre only intention is to try and push other people around and drink beer, forget the golf and go and drink beer.

Its just become a free for all, golf. Can you imagine getting so mad you shout at other people, when youre stood on a piece of grass, playing a game for fun (alledgedly).

10 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

And on this point what do you suggest then? You play a 430 yard par 4 and you can hit it 270, youre going to have to wait 270..... so youre going to have to wait until the group in front has hit (because theyre shorter than you) AND walked some more before you can hit.

The group behind who are going to scuttle one 180 could, depending on how we play the hole, tee off whilst we are waiting for the green because they would be 250 yards away from the green. So they could walk up the hole whilst youre stood there.

What do you suggest? hit balls at the people on the green for the sake of pleasing the people behind?

I already told you, there is bound to be a concertina effect, because we have had to wait LONGER to hit off the tee, so the players in front are obviously going to be CLOSER to the green by the time we have left the tee.

Its really, really not hard to understand.

2 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

And on this point what do you suggest then? You play a 430 yard par 4 and you can hit it 270, youre going to have to wait 270..... so youre going to have to wait until the group in front has hit (because theyre shorter than you) AND walked some more before you can hit.

The group behind who are going to scuttle one 180 could, depending on how we play the hole, tee off whilst we are waiting for the green because they would be 250 yards away from the green. So they could walk up the hole whilst youre stood there.

What do you suggest? hit balls at the people on the green for the sake of pleasing the people behind?

I already told you, there is bound to be a concertina effect, because we have had to wait LONGER to hit off the tee, so the players in front are obviously going to be CLOSER to the green by the time we have left the tee.

Its really, really not hard to understand.

Your score or their score is irrelevant and comes off as you trying to look or feel superior. I would rather play with a worse golfer who plays fast than a good player that plays slow any day. 

We’re you under the pace of play? What did the course look like in front of the group in front of you?

44 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

Where do you draw the line?

Shouting at people down a fairway is utterly pathetic.

You are missing the point. I’m not excusing their behavior. I’m simply saying that the fact that you are a better golfer is irrelevant and makes you look bad for even bringing it up. 

Just now, klebs01 said:

Your score or their score is irrelevant and comes off as you trying to look or feel superior. I would rather play with a worse golfer who plays fast than a good player that plays slow any day. 

We’re you under the pace of play? What did the course look like in front of the group in front of you?

The whole course has a group on every hole. Mostly four balls, because here in the UK, the game is unbelieveably oversubscribed, im sure its the same there. Except our group in front was a three ball.

We played 18 holes as a fourball, and we were right around the 4 hour mark to finish the round. Thats not fast, but its now dawdling slow either, its about normal for a fourball.

The score is completely relevant if some people arent even trying to play properly, then of course its relevant. You dont think we couldnt go quicker if we just decided we would pick the ball up or just pick any club out the bag and guess how far away we are? Why would I want to do that? I want to play golf to make an 18 hole score, not stand there giving myself putts and taking laterals for balls in bushes.

99% of people would just accept they are out on the course playing a game for a hobby, and enjoy their time out there on the course. The idea that you go to play golf and then get mad that other people are doing the same is stupid, and if its that much of a problem, go and do something else. What do you think can happen? you think every single group on the course will all move aside so ONE group can plow through all of them?

3 minutes ago, Schulzmc said:

You are missing the point. I’m not excusing their behavior. I’m simply saying that the fact that you are a better golfer is irrelevant and makes you look bad for even bringing it up. 

Its completely relevant to the situation I outlined, i.e. waiting in certain places.

If you play a hole where one group can cut a corner, and one group cant, one group has to wait for the entire group in front to clear that area. The group behind who cant cut the corner doesnt, so naturally theyre going to tee off sooner, they dont NEED us to be as far out of the way, as we need the group in front to be out of OUR way.

So its obviously completely relevant.

... Posted this before but George Carlin on driving is a perfect parallel to golf. "Ya ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is a MORON and anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC!?!? 

... There is a reason most golf courses have a posted suggested time of approximately 4 hours. Some will be naturally quicker and some unnaturally slower. It is up to those groups to adjust their personal speed to the recommended pace. Of course everyone can only play as fast as the group in front and if everyone does that it rarely causes any problems. 

... That said HOW someone plays fast or slow can be a problem. Not paying much (any?) attention to actually playing golf and just smashing balls and chasing them all over the course and ready to hit again when you are putting can be irritating. And barely keeping up to the group in front while taking 2 practice wings, topping the ball 25 feet and taking two more practice swings before moving to your ball can be irritating when you are behind them.

... I play twilite golf exclusively for a variety of reasons and anyone in the first 45 minutes owes it to the rest of the players behind them to keep pace. Playing earlier in the day and playing slow is an inconvenience, but playing slow at twilite leaves those behind you literally in the dark and walking/riding in before finishing. Conversely those behind can't expect those in front to play faster than the recommend pace because they started twilite later in the day and hope to play in 3 hours.  My philosophy of life which certainly applies to golf can be narrowed down to: are you considerate or inconsiderate? Being one of the other will answer many questions but certainly addresses slow/fast play on a golf course inhabited by others. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

34 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Posted this before but George Carlin on driving is a perfect parallel to golf. "Ya ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is a MORON and anyone driving faster than you is a MANIAC!?!? 

... There is a reason most golf courses have a posted suggested time of approximately 4 hours. Some will be naturally quicker and some unnaturally slower. It is up to those groups to adjust their personal speed to the recommended pace. Of course everyone can only play as fast as the group in front and if everyone does that it rarely cause any problems. 

... That said HOW someone plays fast or slow can be a problem. Not paying much (ny?) attention to actually playing golf and just smashing balls and chasing them all over the course and ready to hit again when you are putting can be irritating. And barely keeping up to the group in front while taking 2 practice wings, topping the ball 25 feet and taking two more practice swings before moving to your ball can be irritating when you are behind them.

... I play twilite golf exclusively for a variety of reasons and anyone in the first 45 minutes owes it to the rest of the players behind them to keep pace. Playing earlier in the day and playing slow is an inconvenience, but playing slow at twilit leaves those behind you in the dark and walking/riding in before finishing. Conversely those behind can't expect those in front to play faster than the recommend pace because they started twilite later in the day and hope to play in 3 hours.  My philosophy of life which certainly applies to golf can be narrowed down to: are you considerate or inconsiderate? Being one of the other will answer many questions but certainly addresses slow/fast play on a golf course inhabited by others. 

Amen. Superb post.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:39 PM, North Butte said:

But you shouldn't doubt that I can take my 85 or 90 (or 95, yikes!) shots and finish in under 3 hours solo or maybe 3:05 or 3:10 in a twosome or threesome. And never be rushing or out of breath or raking back putts. I walk and use a push cart. So as I get to the ball I know what club I'm going to need and I can be pulling it out as I arrive. Once I'm in place with the club in hand it only takes maybe 15-20 seconds to get lined up and pull the trigger. By the time a full shot lands, the club is back in the bag and we're rolling again.

... You seem to be taking the social aspect completely out of the game. I am very serious for the few minutes I need to look at my shot, get my yardage take a practice swing and then hit my shot. Then once the ball has landed I am paying full attention to my pards shots or talking about what I had for dinner last night, will the Suns be better after Booker returns, how much it cost to ship a club using Pirate shipping, a day I remember from high school, what my son is up to and on and on. And my 3 playing pards have things in their mind they want to share with the group. When paired up with strangers on Tues/Thur when my regular pards don't play, there is so much to discover from strangers and things I can share. So yes, I can easily play in under 3 hours if golf is all I am accomplishing but it is a social sport, out in the fresh air and I like to feed the Roadrunners, Rabbits and Squirrels (one in particular eats right off my shoe) organic nuts and berries I carry for them. And we still play in 4 hours. 

... If it were just golf, I wouldn't play 5 days a week Monday through Friday. 

Squirrel.JPG.886d94a8c1b0b025d361cb3a728d2bea.JPG

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour