Anyone think playing too fast is actually in poor etiquette?

vbb

It does seem like the better the player the faster they make full swings - read their lie, judge the distance, check wind, align, waggle, hit and gone... that whole process seems like a few seconds, but once they are on the green or chipping they slow down. Higher handicap players seem to do the opposite - take forever to make a full swing, but speed through putting.

• Like 1

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Though there are people that fit your analogy, they are more than likey exceptions. Too many people overlook the real underlying factor; how fast a person mentally processes input or critically reasons determines their pace in life. If a person has a slow, possibly overly analytical processor (brain), they will be slow at darn near everything. There's also an argument that suggests athleticism and aggressiveness can carry a slow thinker farther in golf than a non-athletic slow thinker; hence because the better golfer can execute, by default, is faster than the player that struggles with processing variable input and execution.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

I play fast. On empty courses walking 18 won't take longer than 2.5 hrs. Even if I take some extra shots and look around for free golf balls I'll finish in 3 hrs. That said, if I come up on a group that is playing ready golf and moving I will gladly slow up my pace until the wave me through. Even if they don't, I don't get ate up about it if they are moving. Today I watched these three older guys in front of me do everything but play ready golf. Lots of standing around without a club in their hands....walking back to the cart for a club. It was awful. I spent 7 holes waiting on these guys. I let two other old guys that were behind me join up for the last two holes and we were still all over the guys ahead of me.

Yes, in the minds of the slow guys, I was the problem. In my mind they were jamming up the course. It all depends on your perspective.

• Like 1

Cobra Fly-Z+
Cobra Amp Cell 3w/Cobra Rail F 5w
Cobra Amp Cell 2H
Mizuno MP-59
Mizuno MP-T4
Ping Anser 2

As long your respectful and are not rushing others enjoying their rounds.

I play very fast as well but I know I have trouble adjusting to playing slow. It is something I have been working on it all season. However, when you play the 1st tee time more times than not it is hard to adjust to 4 hour plus rounds.

Just be respectful and what is the point in running to your ball?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

When did 4 hours become some sort of acceptable time? 4 hours is only acceptable when the course is busy; not if you're out there by yourself in your 4some. Play ready golf. Line your shot up and be ready to address your ball as soon as the other guy/gal hits their shot. If people come up on my group, we wave them through. If we come up on someone we expect to be waved through but that doesn't always happen. I think it's the mentality from the roads that people don't want to let others merge or pass them that carries over to the golf course.

If a foursome takes 90 strokes each a round, that's 360 shots. If the interval between their shots is only 20 seconds, they take120 minutes, or 2 hours just to hit, not even counting the walk/ride/sprint between shots. Five minutes per hole maneuvering around is another 90 minutes.

Starting times aren't even 5 minutes apart, so how can four people play in under 3.5 hours? Time warp?

The last time I was in the US, I played with some old friends who ran around the course, cursing that they couldn't finish in under 3.5 hours. They were miserable the whole time. And what did they do after the panic, breakneck speed round?

They waited for 30 minutes to get into a restaurant to eat a leisurely meal for another hour and a half, then went home and sat on the couch to watch a recorded golf tournament.

People are strange. You could die from a heart attack on the way home, relax a little and enjoy your potentially last round . . .

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

[quote name='Edaw68' timestamp='1413401976' post='10294163']
Playing too fast is only poor etiquette if you're a jerk about it. If you're right up the a$& of the people in front of you, yelling and hitting into them, then yes, rude. If you play fast and wait patiently for them to clear before hitting, then no, not rude.

At least fast players are getting out of the way so they aren't a continuous problem. Slow players are a problem all day.
[/quote]

I think that says it quite well. Extremely fast players can be of very poor or very good etiquette, just like extremely slow players. I don't roll up on players while they're teeing off, don't holler or yell, or stand in the fairway with my hands on my hips. But I do get into position so they know I'm there. Then its on them to offer to play through.

And that last statement says a lot. If I am pushing a group (politely) and they don't let me through, they impact me the entire round. If they simply let me go through when I'm in position, I've impacted them for one hole.

Not all fast players are a**es about it.

[quote name='LeoLeo99' timestamp='1413434184' post='10297525']
When did 4 hours become some sort of acceptable time? 4 hours is only acceptable when the course is busy; not if you're out there by yourself in your 4some. Play ready golf. Line your shot up and be ready to address your ball as soon as the other guy/gal hits their shot. If people come up on my group, we wave them through. If we come up on someone we expect to be waved through but that doesn't always happen. I think it's the mentality from the roads that people don't want to let others merge or pass them that carries over to the golf course.
[/quote]

Because 4 hours is a steady pace for the average golfer. Note the word average. That includes not only the 20-year-olds hyped up on energy drink who can make it around in under 2 if given the chance, but also the group of 4 overweight ladies, the group of elderly men, the group that includes the man, wife and their two kids, the group of buddies none of whom can break 120, and the group of drunk guys.

Believe it or not, even those of us who are perfectly normal golfers often don't want to play in that much under 4 hours. We went to the golf course because we enjoy being outside and (gasp) playing golf. We're not interested in rushing from shot to shot as quickly as we can. We'll move at a reasonable pace and get finished in around 4 hours or maybe a little under. We'll also let you through if you're determined that your day will be ruined if you spend one extra second on the golf course.

Demanding that groups finish far more quickly than 4 hours is being over-the-top.

I have no problem adjusting based on the circumstances. I'll often play Thursday evenings in the summer after work with one of my buddies and my daughter. The course is typically not crowded and we zip around 18 in less than 3 hours. On weekend mornings playing with my group when it's more crowded, 4.5 hours is about the norm. Doesn't bother me at all. I just slow everything down a little bit, relax, and enjoy my time with the guys.

Also, at most private clubs singles and twosomes generally have no rights to play through unless the course is extremely empty and there are open holes ahead. It really screws everything up letting singles and twosomes go out on a busy day. They really should be paired up with other players by the pro shop or starter.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1413397739' post='10293647']

I don't know what this is all about, but nowhere in my thread have I a.) complained about slow players, or b.) said slow players are responsible for my bad shots. Maybe rather than preloading your arguments against what is "typically" posted, you respond to what actually was posted. I did not post here trying to disguise this as another complaining about slow play thread. [/quote]

This comment wasn't directed at you. So I'm not sure why you're getting defensive?

[quote]
Well about 50/50 of my rounds ARE fast/slow.
[/quote]

Now you're just contradicting yourself. In one post you're telling us you only play fast and now it's 50/50 slow and fast.

[quote name='CheckJV' timestamp='1413473996' post='10299343']
There is no such thing as playing too fast.
[/quote]

Yes there is.
There are two or three regular groups at my club who never putt. It's not that they don't "putt out". They don't putt at all. Once their balls are on the green, they each take a swipe at it (most of the time all at the same time) to hit it roughly in the direction of the hole, and when it comes to rest, they all pick it up and move on. It is a PITA to play behind them and try to keep up while playing real golf, and it is also a PITA to play in front of them and have them breathe down your neck all the time, although there is no place to go.
Disclosure: My regular group, when we can play at our own pace, usually plays the course (6.500 yards, Par 72 CR 71.5, Slope 125) in about 3.45 walking, as a fourball.

Edit: None of those guys ever gets a decent result in a monthly medal, because they all usually have five to eight 3-putts per round.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Here's an example of playing "too fast" IMO. It was at a golf marathon where I was part of the support team. Our player was driven to the ball by 1 cart; his shots were located and layered to the flag by a 2nd guy; and a 3rd guy tended the flag and fixed the ball marks. It was a charity "golf marathon" so speed was at a premium. But it was too fast.

Nevertheless - here's the results:

First player: 3 handicap
# of rounds: 10 = 180 holes
[b]Average time of each round: [u]1 hour, 3 minutes[/u].[/b]
[b]Average score: 74.x[/b]
[b]Distance: white tees ~6,000 yards[/b]

I think 1 hour is way too fast - but it proved what the limits could be at least for good players. By the same token - it seems absolutely absurd that 4 hours is remotely acceptable - even for bad ones. 4.5 is more than enough. More than 4.5 hours...quit and go play tennis! :)

Seriously - if you believe you need to play in 4+ hours (and there isn't anyone in front of you) maybe you ought to move up a set of tees? For everyone's sake.

My twosome was once paired up with two gentlemen who seemed very nice, but clearly wanted to play faster than every other team on the (weekend morning packed) course. I didn't know it was even possible to play through back-to-back foursomes but these two either accomplished this or just skipped holes until they found an open tee, beause on the front nine we watched them get further and further ahead of us in position. That seemed like fast play leading to poor ettiquette to me, but what do I know? I think a 4:15 round for four people stroke play is perfectly acceptable on most standard-length courses.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1413479861' post='10299959']
Here's an example of playing "too fast" IMO. It was at a golf marathon where I was part of the support team. Our player was driven to the ball by 1 cart; his shots were located and layered to the flag by a 2nd guy; and a 3rd guy tended the flag and fixed the ball marks. It was a charity "golf marathon" so speed was at a premium. But it was too fast.

I think 1 hour is way too fast - but it proved what the limits could be at least for good players. By the same token - it seems absolutely absurd that 4 hours is remotely acceptable - even for bad ones. 4.5 is more than enough. More than 4.5 hours...quit and go play tennis! :)

Seriously - if you believe you [u][b]need [/b][/u]to play in 4+ hours (and there isn't anyone in front of you) maybe you ought to move up a set of tees? For everyone's sake.
[/quote]

In theory, I agree, there is what's called too fast n too slow. But you need to spend some time in SoCA. Maybe it would show you your expectations are not likely across the board. Nobody "[b]needs[/b]"... circumstances, too often, just are. If being heard is desired, people, least on this board, need to see the bigger picture and the middle of the pendulum swing. :) Not extremes.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1413476299' post='10299595']
[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1413397739' post='10293647']
I don't know what this is all about, but nowhere in my thread have I a.) complained about slow players, or b.) said slow players are responsible for my bad shots. Maybe rather than preloading your arguments against what is "typically" posted, you respond to what actually was posted. I did not post here trying to disguise this as another complaining about slow play thread. [/quote]

This comment wasn't directed at you. So I'm not sure why you're getting defensive?

[/quote]

You were making a sarcastic/snide comment in the thread I started about what "usually" happens, so yeah, I took it as you directing it at me. If not, then nevermind, I read you wrong.

[quote]
Now you're just contradicting yourself. In one post you're telling us you only play fast and now it's 50/50 slow and fast.
[/quote]

Are you seriously having trouble understanding what I said? If I had my way, 100% of my rounds would be fast, at my pace. But I also said in my original post that I try not to play right up on people who are in front of me and try to wait for them to waive me through rather than crowd them on the tee box... so by doing that, I am forced to play at whatever pace they are setting. That means that I don't get to play every round fast, as much as I'd like to. So to clarify... when I'm forced to wait, I'm playing closer to that 4hr pace, or sometimes even more if it is a really slow day... and when I do have that time and there's nowhere for me to go, I take more time to at least attempt a pre-shot routine or to spend more time studying my putts, and it is my experience that doesn't really improve my scoring. I know some people think that playing fast means playing recklessly or sloppily and if you took more time you'd play better, but it hasn't worked out that way for me.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Seriously - if you believe you need to play in 4+ hours (and there isn't anyone in front of you) maybe you ought to move up a set of tees? For everyone's sake.
[/quote]

Yeah, in speed golf where you're trying to get in as many holes as possible, that's a different scenario. I'm not trying to break any time records when I play... but I do enjoy the feeling and sense of accomplishment when I can get in a 9 in an hour, or a round in under 2:30. I'm never trying to sacrifice scoring for speed. If I see something weird in the line of my putt, I'll take the extra time to read it again, or if I have a funky stance or angle, I'll think about where I can safely miss before just firing away. I guess over time I've just developed a sense of trusting my gut with my shots, right or wrong, and going with it. I laser the distance, see where my best "miss" is (long, short, right, whatever) and then I pull the club get my grip set and fire. Compare that to some others that take time tossing grass in the air, checking the wind, taking a few practice swings with one club, deciding on another club, walking back to their bag and grabbing the second club, taking a few more practice swing, then finally hitting, posing over the shot, then finally going to their ball, and we're talking a much longer round.

But again, I try not to rush people along if I can help it. I enjoy playing fast, but I also don't want to be "that guy" either. I think the general feeling is that you can play fast with poor etiquette, but it isn't poor etiquette to play fast. Some thing that playing slow is poor etiquette no matter how "nice" you are about it, and maybe there's something to that.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1413481839' post='10300147']

Seriously - if you believe you [u][b]need [/b][/u]to play in 4+ hours (and there isn't anyone in front of you) maybe you ought to move up a set of tees? For everyone's sake.
[/quote]

In theory, I agree, there is what's called too fast n too slow. But you need to spend some time in SoCA. Maybe it would show you your expectations are not likely across the board. Nobody "[b]needs[/b]"... circumstances, too often, just are. If being heard is desired, people, least on this board, need to see the bigger picture and the middle of the pendulum swing. :) Not extremes.
[/quote]

Agree - hence my suggestion that while 1 hours is too fast - 4 hours is the other extreme. But like many others here - wishing that POP would go faster, is like me wishing I were 10 years younger. Neither is going to happen in my life time. :)

In theory it starts with expectations management - but the truth of the matter as far as I'm concerned - is that people in the US have been led to believe that the game is supposed to be slow....so they never try to speed it up to the "middle of the pendulum". They see golf on tv and on the public courses and the private courses as "slow". It's an anomaly when they show an occasional pro player who is playing alone and gets through in less than 2 hours.

Finding an time when you have nobody in front is also a rarity I think for most people...and they only know what they know.

But we can dream. :)

Gotta get out REALLY early (one of the first few groups off), or when it is completely dead in the middle of the day after the earlier tee times have hit the back nine but before the twilight golfers show up. It's hit or miss at the course near me, but usually somewhere right around 11-11:30am seems to be a time where not many groups are heading off, so I can play nine at my own pace. At my home course, getting a 7:30am tee time usually means a really fast round. Even if you're not 1st or 2nd off, you can play through whoever might be ahead. Also, playing nine at the end of the day, about 90mins before dusk seems to be a good time.

When I play with a group and they want to play at 8:30 on a weekend, I know it won't be a fast round.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

I play by myself the majority of the time and walk. I am a fast player and can get around the course in about 2.5 hours walking. Generally, people are very nice about letting me play through as a single. However, as a single I don't necessarily expect to play through a group that is keeping up pace. I don't mind waiting, as long as the group in front of me is playing at a reasonable pace. I can only think of a few times where I've had a slow group in front of me that didn't allow me to play through. I am always polite, thank them, and get on my way!

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4 Utility Iron JDM 20* - Nippon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1413493689' post='10301393']

[/quote]

Yeah, in speed golf where you're trying to get in as many holes as possible, that's a different scenario. I'm not trying to break any time records when I play... but I do enjoy the feeling and sense of accomplishment when I can get in a 9 in an hour, or a round in under 2:30. I'm never trying to sacrifice scoring for speed. If I see something weird in the line of my putt, I'll take the extra time to read it again, or if I have a funky stance or angle, I'll think about where I can safely miss before just firing away. I guess over time I've just developed a sense of trusting my gut with my shots, right or wrong, and going with it. I laser the distance, see where my best "miss" is (long, short, right, whatever) and then I pull the club get my grip set and fire. Compare that to some others that take time tossing grass in the air, checking the wind, taking a few practice swings with one club, deciding on another club, walking back to their bag and grabbing the second club, taking a few more practice swing, then finally hitting, posing over the shot, then finally going to their ball, and we're talking a much longer round.

But again, I try not to rush people along if I can help it. I enjoy playing fast, but I also don't want to be "that guy" either. I think the general feeling is that you can play fast with poor etiquette, but it isn't poor etiquette to play fast. Some thing that playing slow is poor etiquette no matter how "nice" you are about it, and maybe there's something to that.
[/quote]

I'm with you entirely. As I said above - "having nobody in front of you" is probably not what a lot of folks ever see perhaps? My fastest cart rounds were when I was the only idiot out on the course in winter time - with a cart. Made it around in 1:25 ..and I shot 101. Ball was flying so short I couldn't lose it. :) Fastest time with other players was 1:40 and we had 4 players with their own carts and I had the high score of 81. In both cases I had plenty of time to hit my shots and read greens....it's just that it doesn't take very long.

At places where I play - the early morning times have a POP target of 3:30. We (ranging from 3 handicap to a 14 handicap) often come in faster than that - but here's things that we do that a typical "4+ hour foursome" won't do:

1) get to your ball and be ready to hit. For #1 - if you and me are in the same cart - you drop me off at my short ball - and don't wait for me to hit it....you get going up to your ball. We're both doing our pre shots and I let my shot fly...then start walking towards you farther up the course. Once my ball is off - then all you have to do is line up and hit it. It's entirely possible that your shot is in the air too just as mine is landing. You don't necessarily wait until after I hit before you start your PSR. Then you drive back to pick me up and we motor on together down the course. Moreover the other 2 guys are doing the same thing.

2) chat on the greens and tee boxes. These are the only times (and there are plenty of them) where we go "one at a time"...where everyone else is standing still while someone else is in their whole "process" of hitting.

3) putt out...at least for the 1-2 footers coming back. This is a huge time saver - putt the ball and unless you're a spazz you're going to be within a few feet of the hole. Keep going. I play with a lot of new players who start their "Tiger Woods routine" for every single putt...whether it's 30 feet or from 30 inches. If I'm hosting an outing - I often just give people the putt. "It's good...!" as long as it's within a flag pole length (just kidding).

Anyways - these simple things speed up the game. But they are a MUST in order to get a normal foursome around in 3:30...although I think if everyone did it, the entire POP would improve dramatically. It's got to be a concerted effort - rather than "While We're Young"... campaign alone, they ought to show people on tv HOW to hurry things up, without making you lose your rhythm and tempo with the game.

But I doubt most folks will try it, or don't understand how. :)

I'd get along great with your group Chip. I like all of those "rules" that you suggested.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1413495814' post='10301545']
[quote name='vbb' timestamp='1413493689' post='10301393']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm with you entirely. As I said above - "having nobody in front of you" is probably not what a lot of folks ever see perhaps? My fastest cart rounds were when I was the only idiot out on the course in winter time - with a cart. Made it around in 1:25 ..and I shot 101. Ball was flying so short I couldn't lose it. :) Fastest time with other players was 1:40 and we had 4 players with their own carts and I had the high score of 81. In both cases I had plenty of time to hit my shots and read greens....it's just that it doesn't take very long.

At places where I play - the early morning times have a POP target of 3:30. We (ranging from 3 handicap to a 14 handicap) often come in faster than that - but here's things that we do that a typical "4+ hour foursome" won't do:

1) get to your ball and be ready to hit. For #1 - if you and me are in the same cart - you drop me off at my short ball - and don't wait for me to hit it....you get going up to your ball. We're both doing our pre shots and I let my shot fly...then start walking towards you farther up the course. Once my ball is off - then all you have to do is line up and hit it. It's entirely possible that your shot is in the air too just as mine is landing. You don't necessarily wait until after I hit before you start your PSR. Then you drive back to pick me up and we motor on together down the course. Moreover the other 2 guys are doing the same thing.

2) chat on the greens and tee boxes. These are the only times (and there are plenty of them) where we go "one at a time"...where everyone else is standing still while someone else is in their whole "process" of hitting.

3) putt out...at least for the 1-2 footers coming back. This is a huge time saver - putt the ball and unless you're a spazz you're going to be within a few feet of the hole. Keep going. I play with a lot of new players who start their "Tiger Woods routine" for every single putt...whether it's 30 feet or from 30 inches. If I'm hosting an outing - I often just give people the putt. "It's good...!" as long as it's within a flag pole length (just kidding).

Anyways - these simple things speed up the game. But they are a MUST in order to get a normal foursome around in 3:30...although I think if everyone did it, the entire POP would improve dramatically. It's got to be a concerted effort - rather than "While We're Young"... campaign alone, they ought to show people on tv HOW to hurry things up, without making you lose your rhythm and tempo with the game.

But I doubt most folks will try it, or don't understand how. :)
[/quote]

What you described is almost exactly what I posted in RSJ's expecation thread. It's not that difficult to play fast. Smart use of the carts and ready golf and you're on a sub 4:00 pace already. And that can include high handicaps shooting a 100.

On occasion (this time of year) we'll play as a sixsome. Last time out we were around in about 3:40. Four carts for the group, ready golf, and ample, ample time to converse. This is a real sticking point for some people who are critical of fast play, they say you can't have the social aspect of the game at that pace. But you most certainly can.

And as a sixsome, we are very aware of if anyone is coming up on us (which rarely happens) to let them through. Because the "no fivesomes or sixsomes" crowd will here shortly.

I'm a 2-4 handicap and I like to play as a single when I can to get in those quick rounds.

This summer on more than one occasion I've call ahead the night before ( usually Saturday evening) to the pro shop of the course I plan on playing at and I ask for the first time Sunday morning and to play as a single and promise them that I will be no longer than 2.5 Hours. Almost every single time the shop is more than happy to take me up on my request. I've played in under 2 hour ( 18 holes ) with a cart as a single so many time this year and each time I'm usually right around even par. I can usually get around in under 2.5 when walking too.

I've had a couple of situations where I get paired with another single or a group and after a few holes I politely ask if they wound mind if I just played on and let them stay in their group. I understand that if I'm playing with my dad or my friends on a weekend afternoon that playing that fast is next to impossible but I have no time to be paired with two or three people who are out for a morning stroll with no regard for pace of play or for some reason find the need to fish for top flites at 8am..

Worst case was being pair with 3 people on a Sunday morning ( all 10-15 hncp's) who all had serious pre-shot routines and no sense of pace of play. Course was only 6200 yards and we were walking. It took 50 min to play the first 3 holes and I just said straight up to them that I was going to play ahead ( at that point I was not about to ask ) and as I walked off 18 ( 2 hours alter ) there were walking to the 10th tee with a log jam behind them at 9:45 in the morning. This is the kind of thing that is unacceptable and ruins the day for so many golfers.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1413389465' post='10292579']
Absolutely, this campaign to speed up play has turned a lot of people in egomaniacs.
[/quote]LMAO, I was thinking of another word, though this'll work better, lol

Much kinder :)

Have a nice weekend my Friend :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24