Anyone think playing too fast is actually in poor etiquette?

vbb

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1413995286' post='10333019']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413994282' post='10332919']
[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1413993647' post='10332839']
I have a friend that is does everything incredibly slowly. I have helped him with home renovation projects and everything he does is slow and deliberate. I have seen him drive and he is the slowest driver I have ever seen (I mean incredibly slow). He talks slowly. He eats slowly. He is a very slow golfer. And he does everything "right" (he has been golfing for his whole life). He is just slow. Extremely. And it is only getting worse as he ages and his health deteriorates. If it were just he and I on an open course I would be surprised if we finished in less than four hours. And nothing anyone could say or do would be able to change that. Now imagine a foursome of people just like him.
[/quote]

I've got a friend like that too. As an admittedly "up tempo" person it drives me nuts. But he's always at least ready to play. So while he's very methodical, he can still get around the course in a decent time. Probably not as bad as your guy.

Yes, a foursome of your guy would be bad, and slow. But therein lies the problem. Does he know how slow he is? Which goes to the statement that no one thinks they're slow.

And if he knows he's that slow and won't do anything to change...........well, I think that where most of the slow play issues derive from. Because even if he lets people play through, he has slowed up the course.
[/quote]
I expect he knows he is slow. I have never asked. But it isn't a case of "won't", it is a case of "can't". He would be incapable of speeding up in anything he does.

As as side note, I am one of the most impatient people I know. Drivers going 35 in a 40 mph zone make me nuts. Slow walkers bother me until I can get around them. I went to the gym this morning and they have little cubbies where people store back packs and such. As I was leaving and wanting to get my bag a woman got there just before me and took [i]forever[/i] to get he coat off, her shoes changed, etc, etc. Was making me nuts because I didn't want to just push past her to grab my bag. I'm just not impatient on the golf course. The pace is what it is. I'd prefer not to wait on every shot. But I [i]hate[/i] being rushed. And, I know you don't believe me, but in no way am I a slow golfer. One of these days maybe you'll take my word for it.
[/quote]
Ironically enough, had you said, "excuse me, can I quick grab my bag behind you?" the woman in question would know you were waiting on her. Kinda like your friend you have yet to say anything to.

People need to talk to each other more.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413996177' post='10333105']
I have a friend that is does everything incredibly slowly. I have helped him with home renovation projects and everything he does is slow and deliberate. I have seen him drive and he is the slowest driver I have ever seen (I mean incredibly slow). He talks slowly. He eats slowly. He is a very slow golfer. And he does everything "right" (he has been golfing for his whole life). He is just slow. Extremely. And it is only getting worse as he ages and his health deteriorates. If it were just he and I on an open course I would be surprised if we finished in less than four hours. And nothing anyone could say or do would be able to change that. Now imagine a foursome of people just like him.
[/quote]

I've got a friend like that too. As an admittedly "up tempo" person it drives me nuts. But he's always at least ready to play. So while he's very methodical, he can still get around the course in a decent time. Probably not as bad as your guy.

Yes, a foursome of your guy would be bad, and slow. But therein lies the problem. Does he know how slow he is? Which goes to the statement that no one thinks they're slow.

And if he knows he's that slow and won't do anything to change...........well, I think that where most of the slow play issues derive from. Because even if he lets people play through, he has slowed up the course.
[/quote]
I expect he knows he is slow. I have never asked. But it isn't a case of "won't", it is a case of "can't". He would be incapable of speeding up in anything he does.

As as side note, I am one of the most impatient people I know. Drivers going 35 in a 40 mph zone make me nuts. Slow walkers bother me until I can get around them. I went to the gym this morning and they have little cubbies where people store back packs and such. As I was leaving and wanting to get my bag a woman got there just before me and took [i]forever[/i] to get he coat off, her shoes changed, etc, etc. Was making me nuts because I didn't want to just push past her to grab my bag. I'm just not impatient on the golf course. The pace is what it is. I'd prefer not to wait on every shot. But I [i]hate[/i] being rushed. And, I know you don't believe me, but in no way am I a slow golfer. One of these days maybe you'll take my word for it.
[/quote]
Ironically enough, had you said, "excuse me, can I quick grab my bag behind you?" the woman in question would know you were waiting on her. Kinda like your friend you have yet to say anything to.

[/quote]
Yes, I suppose I could have said that to her. But it didn't occur to me that she'd take five minutes there. But as I mentioned, with my friend, it is not a matter of "won't" it is "can't". No amount of me or anyone else saying anything could change that.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

One thing, I've never said you are a slow player. But to be honest, anyone who defends it so vehemently calls into question whether they are or not. But it really doesn't matter, I'll take your word on it. Thats why in your golf trip thread I suggested Nebraska for a trip. Fly into Denver, drive north a couple hundred miles and I'll treat you to a round at my course. We'll go around in a bit over three (three and a half if we have five) and have plenty of time to get to know each other (which probably isn't a good thing for you, I'm not sure I'd even want to get to know me :drinks:[size=4] ).[/size]

[size=4]I have to say though that I am impressed. I'm impatient everywhere, I cannot imagine being that everywhere but on the course.[/size]

[size=4]And, out of curiosity. If he knows he's slow, why can't he speed up. If you're cognizant of behavior, you should be able to modify it.[/size]

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1413996388' post='10333121']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413996177' post='10333105']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes, I suppose I could have said that to her. But it didn't occur to me that she'd take five minutes there. But as I mentioned, with my friend, it is not a matter of "won't" it is "can't". No amount of me or anyone else saying anything could change that.
[/quote]
It occurs to me after two minutes and wanting my bag two minutes ago. LOL! Not 5 minutes.
There is ALWAYS some way the slow player can speed up. ALWAYS. It may feel petty to point out all those ways to someone, but it all adds up to that long round in the end. Not having the glove on as you reach your ball. Not having your tee and your ball ready to go on the tee box. Leaving the cart in absurd places and having to walk to it. Most people, common sense seems to be at the root of it, and in such scenarios, we know that you either have it, or your learn it. Not saying anything, they never learn or make any attempt to change. Everyone has deadlines and expectations of them in life. He can meet them. But he has to be aware he has a problem. I'm sure his boss wouldn't give him open-ended deadlines on everything, would he? Probably not. He had to adapt there, and can adapt elsewhere.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1413997174' post='10333203']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

One thing, I've never said you are a slow player. But to be honest, anyone who defends it so vehemently calls into question whether they are or not. But it really doesn't matter, I'll take your word on it. Thats why in your golf trip thread I suggested Nebraska for a trip. Fly into Denver, drive north a couple hundred miles and I'll treat you to a round at my course. We'll go around in a bit over three (three and a half if we have five) and have plenty of time to get to know each other (which probably isn't a good thing for you, I'm not sure I'd even want to get to know me :drinks: ).

I have to say though that I am impressed. I'm impatient everywhere, I cannot imagine being that everywhere but on the course.

And, out of curiosity. If he knows he's slow, why can't he speed up. If you're cognizant of behavior, you should be able to modify it.
[/quote]
Sorry, it must be someone else that is always saying I must be slow. And if I decide to take you up on it I am sure that I'd find you are a good guy. (But right now I am thinking that Cabot Links in NS looks great!).

Also, the reason I "defend slow play" is because it makes me nuts when people assume that "because I can do X then everyone should be able to do X". It's like "my father beat me an I'm fine" or "I grew up poor and I managed fine" or things like that. Not everyone is the same and trying to assume everyone is the same is the root of a lot of problems.

And finally, one more time, my friend would be 100% incapable of speeding up. It would be like telling a gay person, "you don't have to be gay anymore if you don't want."

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413998724' post='10333359']
It occurs to me after two minutes and wanting my bag two minutes ago. LOL! Not 5 minutes.
There is ALWAYS some way the slow player can speed up. ALWAYS. It may feel petty to point out all those ways to someone, but it all adds up to that long round in the end. Not having the glove on as you reach your ball. Not having your tee and your ball ready to go on the tee box. Leaving the cart in absurd places and having to walk to it. Most people, common sense seems to be at the root of it, and in such scenarios, we know that you either have it, or your learn it. Not saying anything, they never learn or make any attempt to change. Everyone has deadlines and expectations of them in life. He can meet them. But he has to be aware he has a problem. I'm sure his boss wouldn't give him open-ended deadlines on everything, would he? Probably not. He had to adapt there, and can adapt elsewhere.
[/quote]
You are going to have to trust me on this one. He doesn't do any brain dead things to slow him down. He is just simply slow.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413999135' post='10333393']
^^^ Nope. You've defended slow players in a LOT of threads. I have this distrinct impression of you as well. Maybe its unintended. But maybe no one has said anything to you. *wink*
[/quote]
I guess it is you that I should have said that needs to take my word for it at some point.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1413999137' post='10333395']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413998724' post='10333359']
[/quote]
You are going to have to trust me on this one. He doesn't do any brain dead things to slow him down. He is just simply slow.
[/quote]
I'm envisioning this guy in a coma, who had a stroke, who walks with a shuffle. Is that your friend? LOL! Would your friend like it if he knew that is your impression of him that you share on the internet? That doesn't seem fair.

You're a saint. I find myself using the phrase ALL the time: "I am NOT an adult baby sitter." I only have so much patience, life is indeed short, and if you frustrate the bajeezus out of me, I'm just not hanging with you any longer.

• 4 years later...

There definitely is a pace that is too fast the same as there is a pace too slow.  And the amount of time that is acceptable obviously shifts depending on the difficulty of the course, conditions and also how many groups are out.  But I feel like the 2hr to 2hr15min pace per 9 holes probably works for most as the target and what can be expected of others to play.  There is a bell curve along that time that most golfers should be able to hit and still enjoy the game.  Unfortunately I feel like a lot of the people who are the most impatient/aggressive with "slow pace of play" are actually complaining about what is normal pace of play.

Just the same as players who take 5 hours + for 18 holes messes with everyone else behind them, the people who try to do it under 3 hours and will bulldoze everyone in their path are the same outliers that negatively impact others around them.

When a group is playing faster than the group ahead of them, it's good etiquette to let the faster group play through IF there is space ahead of the slower group.

BUT it's also good etiquette to not push a group (hitting the ball within 10-20 yards of them, talking crap to them, generally just being an a-hole) when there is no space in front of them, aka keeping up with the group in front of them.

Unbelievable this needs to be explained but think of driving a car in traffic.  You can't pass if there is no space between the cars ahead of you without forcing the other cars to slow down or stop all special for you.  Just think of aggressive drivers on the road who have to be going 15-20mph over the speed limit, it's the same with golf.

Also, hitting into the group ahead is way worse that playing slow, safety is supposed to be the #1 rule of golf.

It's easy, just don't be an a-hole on the course.  If a faster group comes up on you, and there is room ahead of you, let them through.  If you are the faster group and the group ahead is keeping pace with the group in front of them.  Back off!  Don't make their time on the course they paid for the same as you suck just because you only care about yourself on the course.

• Like 2

I think the desire to play faster than is actually practical on a given day often leads my fellow sub-three-hour guys to engage in bad etiquette. It's not that playing fast is bad etiquette per se but if you are constantly standing there with hands on hip glaring at the group ahead or you borderline hit up on them repeatedly or even if you even end up playing through four or five groups during the course of the round you're creating a lot of disruption for a lot of people. And in the end, you're still not going to get around as fast as you like and you're not going to enjoy the round.

So if you really want to play in 2:50 on a course where the prevailing pace is closer to 3:50 then it's better to just pick your times when the course is open. If at some point during the round you need to play through and some group waves you up, no big deal. But if the course is crowded, just the act of waving a faster group to play through slows down the course another 3-4 minutes.

Nobody has the right to ruin my day by dawdling around for five hours on a course that's easily walkable in three. But neither am I in the right to try and ram myself through a busy course by continually pressing or asking to play through.

I sometimes play with a golfer who is ultra-fast and quite often is standing by or even on the green while the rest of us are still hitting our approach shots. He then putts out and goes to the next tee without waiting to see what the rest of the group does.

It's quite irritating and does not in any way encourage the rest of us to play faster.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I sometimes play with a golfer who is ultra-fast and quite often is standing by or even on the green while the rest of us are still hitting our approach shots. He then putts out and goes to the next tee without waiting to see what the rest of the group does.

>

> It's quite irritating and does not in any way encourage the rest of us to play faster.

I think that's a definite case of you being the one with the problem, not him. By all means if he's violating some social norm of your group then don't invite him to play. But surely that falls within the broad category of doing your own thing and letting other people do theirs, unless it directly affects you. One guy not standing there watching you putt is only affecting you to the extent you decide it's not right.

I play with people who do the alignment thing on their golf ball. If I choose to dwell on it, it drives me to distraction. Just an idiotic habit. But that's their thing and unless they literally add 20 minutes to the round by fiddling around with it, I just let it pass.

For all I know some of them don't like me insisting on always "continuous putting" rather than marking (unless it means standing on someone's line). Or maybe there's a guy in my group who really, truly would prefer to tee off before me if he's just made a birdie. But they let me do my thing just like I'm willing to let them do theirs.

> @"North Butte" said:

>

> I think that's a definite case of you being the one with the problem, not him. By all means if he's violating some social norm of your group then don't invite him to play. But surely that falls within the broad category of doing your own thing and letting other people do theirs, unless it directly affects you.

But it does affect me and others directly. It deprives me of the ability to watch his putts. You should never putt out before everyone gets to the green. You can learn a lot from watching somebody else putt even if it's not on your line.

>One guy not standing there watching you putt is only affecting you to the extent you decide it's not right.

Isn't that true for almost all etiquette? Stepping on somebody's line doesn't physically affect the green, but it's poor etiquette. The same is true of leaving the green too early.

I'm not being entirely flippant in saying you really don't sound like you'd be much fun to play with. You're upset because everyone around you doesn't follow your really detailed script of what they are supposed to do and when and how.

Do you play only with like-minded people? Or do you frequently have conflicts because your own very particular view of "etiquette" isn't followed by the other in your group?

I don't have a problem with people playing fast...just don't hit into me. I am generally a pretty fast player myself. My Sunday morning "just for fun" golf with my buddies...we can play 18 holes easily under 3 hours. I play in 2 tournament leagues and I wish those rounds would only take 4 hours. Yesterday almost 5 hours on the dot. I was in group 2 and we were on group 1's butt all day. There was at least 2 holes open ahead of them.

As far as poor etiquette is concerned and fast play. If you are pushing, pushing, pushing the group ahead and they are playing at a good pace and keeping up with the group ahead of them...yes it is poor etiquette. If they are slower than crap and out of position...nope, not poor etiquette.

• Like 1

I think it definitely can be depending on the day. My dad and I play as a twosome on the weekends frequently (for some reason our course doesn't pair twosomes up, which would help). Because of playing on the weekend, the course is backed up anyways, so we intentionally try to slow it down to not push up on the group ahead of us, there wouldn't be anywhere to go once we passed that group anyways. I think it would be poor etiquette for us to try to fly by as many foursomes as we could by the end of the round. If there is plenty of room we will pass a group though, or pair up with another twosome caught up in line.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

> @Roadking2003 said:

> I sometimes play with a golfer who is ultra-fast and quite often is standing by or even on the green while the rest of us are still hitting our approach shots. He then putts out and goes to the next tee without waiting to see what the rest of the group does.

>

> It's quite irritating and does not in any way encourage the rest of us to play faster.

How far of approach shots are you talking about? Even if it was just a casual round a person frequently getting out of position and in the potential flight zone of my shot is going to become a distraction.

Putting out and going to the next tee before the other players putt out would be off-putting to me.

> @HatsForBats said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > I sometimes play with a golfer who is ultra-fast and quite often is standing by or even on the green while the rest of us are still hitting our approach shots. He then putts out and goes to the next tee without waiting to see what the rest of the group does.

> >

> > It's quite irritating and does not in any way encourage the rest of us to play faster.

>

> How far of approach shots are you talking about? Even if it was just a casual round a person frequently getting out of position and in the potential flight zone of my shot is going to become a distraction.

>

> Putting out and going to the next tee before the other players putt out would be off-putting to me.

I didn't notice the part about standing up by the green while approach shots are being hit. That's just crazy. I'd disinvite that guy from my group.

I was thinking this was about people (like myself) who go ahead and putt "out of turn" while the others are raking bunkers or shuffling clubs in their bag looking for their putter or whatnot. No way I'm walking out ahead of someone hitting full shots and if someone did that to me I'd wave or yell at them to step aside.

As for walking to the next tee while people do their interminable putting "routines", it sure beats standing there in the hot sun watching their antics.

• Like 1

> @"North Butte" said:

> I'm not being entirely flippant in saying you really don't sound like you'd be much fun to play with. You're upset because everyone around you doesn't follow your really detailed script of what they are supposed to do and when and how.

>

> Do you play only with like-minded people? Or do you frequently have conflicts because your own very particular view of "etiquette" isn't followed by the other in your group?

You have totally misread me.

I never have conflicts. And I'm not upset. I love playing golf and it's totally a stress-free event. And I have no detailed script whatsoever. I play with a large group. Some of us are fast players and a few are slow.

BTW, I'm a fast player but I do wait on or near the green for everybody to putt out.

So are you always so ready to criticize somebody you don't know?

> @RickKimbrell said:

> I don't have a problem with people playing fast...just don't hit into me. I am generally a pretty fast player myself. My Sunday morning "just for fun" golf with my buddies...we can play 18 holes easily under 3 hours. I play in 2 tournament leagues and I wish those rounds would only take 4 hours. Yesterday almost 5 hours on the dot. I was in group 2 and we were on group 1's butt all day. There was at least 2 holes open ahead of them.

> As far as poor etiquette is concerned and fast play. **If you are pushing, pushing, pushing the group ahead and they are playing at a good pace and keeping up with the group ahead of them...yes it is poor etiquette. If they are slower than crap and out of position...nope, not poor etiquette.

^^^ exactly. Don't know how anyone could argue with that.

There is a reason I'm first out or play at the end of the day. I like my pace and will slow down, but only to a point. Play in a Charity Scramble and yes I'm mentally ready for 5 hours and that I can deal with grudgingly.

Yes I do walk ahead and hit my putt when I'm ready. My partners & I talk the entire round and have a good banter. We also have a drink and talk for 30-40 minutes afterwards. I make sure I'm out of people's way and try not to be in their peripheral. I certainly do walk ahead, however am the first to help in searches, fixing divots & ball marks. I make sure to cede honours on birdies too, but if ready to hit on the tee, while others have their rangefinder, I do.

Yesterday we were a threesome, with the slowest of our regulars playing. Great ball striking day and no searches more then a minute and off in 2:45.

Funny how most who play with us and warned of the pace, are surprised that we are no where near the rabbits that we're portrayed to be.

> @Under2hours said:

> There is a reason I'm first out or play at the end of the day. I like my pace and will slow down, but only to a point. Play in a Charity Scramble and yes I'm mentally ready for 5 hours and that I can deal with grudgingly.

>

> Yes I do walk ahead and hit my putt when I'm ready. My partners & I talk the entire round and have a good banter. We also have a drink and talk for 30-40 minutes afterwards. I make sure I'm out of people's way and try not to be in their peripheral. I certainly do walk ahead, however am the first to help in searches, fixing divots & ball marks. I make sure to cede honours on birdies too, but if ready to hit on the tee, while others have their rangefinder, I do.

>

> Yesterday we were a threesome, with the slowest of our regulars playing. Great ball striking day and no searches more then a minute and off in 2:45.

>

> Funny how most who play with us and warned of the pace, are surprised that we are no where near the rabbits that we're portrayed to be.

Yeah some people seem to think a threesome playing in 2:45, especially a WALKING threesome playing in 2:45, must be literally jogging between shots and hitting while the other guy's ball is still in the air. I think there must be lots of golfers out there who have literally never in their life played a round in under 4 hours. The very idea of under 3 hours is inconceivable to them.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Under2hours said:

> > There is a reason I'm first out or play at the end of the day. I like my pace and will slow down, but only to a point. Play in a Charity Scramble and yes I'm mentally ready for 5 hours and that I can deal with grudgingly.

> >

> > Yes I do walk ahead and hit my putt when I'm ready. My partners & I talk the entire round and have a good banter. We also have a drink and talk for 30-40 minutes afterwards. I make sure I'm out of people's way and try not to be in their peripheral. I certainly do walk ahead, however am the first to help in searches, fixing divots & ball marks. I make sure to cede honours on birdies too, but if ready to hit on the tee, while others have their rangefinder, I do.

> >

> > Yesterday we were a threesome, with the slowest of our regulars playing. Great ball striking day and no searches more then a minute and off in 2:45.

> >

> > Funny how most who play with us and warned of the pace, are surprised that we are no where near the rabbits that we're portrayed to be.

>

> Yeah some people seem to think a threesome playing in 2:45, especially a WALKING threesome playing in 2:45, must be literally jogging between shots and hitting while the other guy's ball is still in the air. I think there must be lots of golfers out there who have literally never in their life played a round in under 4 hours. The very idea of under 3 hours is inconceivable to them.

I also ensure I am not walking while somone else is ready to hit.

Again I bare no ill will if you don't want to play with me.

> @jpt1101 said:

> It’s my opinion that leaving the green and standing on the next tee while the rest of your group is still putting is bad etiquette.

I played a lot of AJGA and various jr. events when I was growing up and this was a requirement, it was bad form to stay on the green once you were holed out. That's how I learned the game growing up. With that, I don't necessarily think you need to role right to the next tee, but once you hole out leave the green and head to the cart or your bag and be ready to cruise when the last guy is done. If you're a 4some in two carts once the last guy holes out the full cart should head on off and get ready to play the next hole. This alone can do wonders in speeding things up just enough.

And yes, it's unreasonable to go out on a weekend afternoon and expect to play in 3 hours or less.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Yes.

Absolutely yes.

Had a match last year with a guy like that. Both of us walking. I outdrove him by a good bit. So I always was hitting into greens last. He would power walk ahead and be near the green by the time my ball stopped. If On the green he’d mark my ball for me and be putting as I walked up. 4 holes of this and I’d had enough. I told him on 5 tee that “ I’d appreciate you not picking my ball up again , If you don’t have time to play this match Concede it and we will walk in “. He turned bright red. And I proceeded to close him down on 12. He was using gamesmanship in my opinion , and I just refuse to take it any longer.

Also know another guy I refuse to ride in a cart with. He literally gripes every shot if I don’t just hop in the cart while the ball is in flight. Then speeds to the next ball and repeats. Last straw was when I stepped out of the cart 6 feet away and shot a distance with my finder. He says “ I’m sick of watching you go to the ball with no club in hand “. I shot back hard “ how do I know which club until I know how far I need to hit it “? And then told him to be glad I wasn’t holding a club. I may have thrown it in his direction. People are slow. Sure. But people who don’t have time to play the game properly should stay home.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock