G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1414238968' post='10348241']
Those playing LW, how are they for playing from tight lies for flop shots. Can you open her up?
[/quote]

I have the G20s from 4i- LW. I bought the set originally from 4-SW then added the UW then LW. At first the LW baffled me a bit. I only ever used it for full shots in or for shorter pitches as the thick sole scared the life out of me for anything else. It just didn't strike me as a versatile club at all.

Then I had a bit of an epiphany and realised that the problem was me, not the club.

All you need is the confidence to trust the bounce of the club and it really is surprising how versatile it can be. I play in the UK where it's quite rare for the ground to be rock hard, so maybe it's a little easier to thump the sole into the turf, but that's basically all I do when I need to play a shot like that. I even find myself saying "Trust the bounce" sometimes as I set up!

[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]Fly-Z 9.5deg[/b][/font][/size]
[size=2][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][b]G20 5W 18deg[/b]
[b]Z U65 3/20deg[/b]
[b]Z 765 4-PW[/b]
[b]RTX-3 52/10[/b]
[b]RTX-3 58/12[/b]
[b]Karsten 1959 Anser 2[/b][/font][/size]

I will admit that sometimes when I have a beer or two, I will have this feeling that comes over me that likes to play with "big bottoms". Well that is what my friends call them. But I do find them to be more work than you think. 1) You have to wait in the bars until closing. This is when you usually find them. 2) You have to drive around in several different directions just to make sure she can not find her way back. 3) You have to sneak her out of the car so no neighbors will see.

I am non sure what playing with fat bottoms have to do with a golf forum but since the OP asked, I felt obliged to confess.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Ping G2 2003 - 2008 then wandered away from Ping for a few years. Woke up one morning in March 2011 and said I'm getting fitted for a new set of Ping irons.

Went to a Ping demo day at the local muni and even before I said a word the Ping rep had sized me up and started with yellow dot G15s. After a few swings immediately switched me to green dot G15s. Talk about hitting them pure. That day I tried i15s, G15s and K15s. Liked the G15s best but, went with the K15s as the set included the 4 & 5 hybrids in the price of a set of K15s. As far as shaft choice he said R flex and a toss up between graphite or steel.

Today my bag is:

Diver G25
3 wood G15
5 wood G20
4 & 5 hybrid K15 (graphite)
6 - U wedge K15 (graphite)
S & L wedge XG
Putter - I vacillate between a Ping Greyhawk and an Odyssey Marksman

I have holed out more wedge shots with the XG Sand wedge that any other wedge I have ever played. The hybrids may look funky but, I love hittin' em.

Recently hit the G30 and Karsten irons. I could see a big difference in ball flight between the G30 and Karsten, the Karsten takes off at a much higher angle. I like both but, prefer the G30.

My palm reader sees a new set of G30s in the bag next year.

While other club manufacturers push "one to two clubs longer" and yeah I'm getting older and would like to hit the ball as far or farther than I did 25 years ago I'll take accuracy any day over an extra 5 - 10 yards. Thats why I play Ping, for accuracy.

Color me a G-man.

Ping Eye to Ping Zing 2, now G15... would love to get G30's but what do you do with old G's? bury them like an old flag? ... sell them and watch someone else drive off with them, how? I don't think I could, you understand, right? Besides, they still look new, I've had the same wife for 40 years and I wouldn't think of trading her in :)

G15's since 2011. Love them. Mishits, of which I have many, are where they really shine.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

[quote name='TCRooster' timestamp='1414298026' post='10351765']
G-man here as well. Played the G-15 irons ever since they came out. Now I'm going G30 after extensive fitting, as follows:

G30 SFTec 12* (to be purchased)
G30 5w @ 17* (to be purchased)
G30 7w @ 21*
G30 4h
G30 5i - PW
Eye2 Gorge SW
Eye2 Gorge LW
Ketsch
[/quote]

Looks like what my bag should look like.

But, I am using the Cobra Bio Cell hybrid because I want more ball carry than the G30 hybrid gives me, and its a club longer. Same with the fw wood - using the Cobra Bio Cell becuz it gets more carry and is longer than the G30's by at least 10 yards.

This is the 1st time everything in my bag isn't Ping. I don't just buy Pings any more just becuz they are Pings. Not knocking anyone that does. That being said, I'll probably migrate to the g25 stuff becuz that whole line up has more spin and that's what us draw'ers need!!!!!, not less!!!!!

I am in the minority in that I find the new G30 line up to be too low spinning, too low traj. Hookers are all fighting this newest trend it seems.

I draw the ball but need more launch angle from the 10.5 G30 std driver. Going to demo the 12* to see if it hooks or not. Likely that it will be a hook machine for me.

Will report back.

Hey man, I'm the dude

Made the switch this year from blades - cheated a little during the summer using a hybrid setup of irons but now pretty much all Ping after playing for 40 years and never bagging a Ping....
Cut the cap in 1/2 --- 2 to 1....at 54

G30 Driver (2 weeks old - keeper)
G25 4 wood, 20 & 23 Hybrid
G25 Irons 5-UW
Vokey Wedges

I've been a very slow migrant to PING over my golfing career. I have a great wife and two young boys that take up most of my practice time, so I migrated to G30 irons reluctantly from Mizuno MP-4 blades (I play off an 8 ish). That change was really eye opening because I would have considered myself one of the thin topline only, minimal offset only, forged only crowd. As I set, it was RELUCTANTLY. That said, the first two rounds with the 30s I really struggled to get them lined up accurately. The offset really threw me for a loop and though I managed the bounce pretty well and hit the p*** out of them, I would miss left then right then left then right...Finally got a couple of range sessions in and figured it all out and I'm in love with these irons. I played back to back match plays on the weekend of the Dallas/Seattle football game and played the best iron rounds in probably the last 5 years.

The shot that did it for me was this one: brother and I both hook it nearly OB off the tee. I advance a 3 wood down to about 122-124, but the team we're playing against nukes the drive and puts it on the green in two - maybe 25 feet from the pin. From the fairway, the only chance we have is to stuff it tight and hope they don't make the birdie. I proceed to hit a knockdown 9 to 18" and pick it up...the other guys actually three putt and we take over the match. The rest of the approach shots were basically the same, except to 10-15' at the most. I won't be trading these irons for a long, long time. I'm a CONVERT.

I had a very good season this past season with G15's with the CFS stiff shaft. I then had an opportunity to pick up a lightly used set of G25's with CFS stiff towards the end of this season, and played some nice rounds with those. Interestingly, I had some problems with digging with the G25's in the few rounds I played with them. I'll reassess at the start of next season, but if the G25's continue to dig, the G15's will go back in the bag. I do have a certain synergy with those G15's, so we shall see.

Now, all that said, there is a little wrinkle potentially causing the venerable Ping G's a problem for next season--the Adams CB3's. I had picked up a set of these, 4-GW, KBS 90 stiff, for a great price this season, but they got stashed in my garage. Took them out for a round this past weekend, and wow, were they nice. Look great, feel great, and I was hitting them beautifully. A big difference compared to the G's was that the CB3's were taking a really nice divot on every shot--no digging, just slicing through the turf. Bottom line, these will get a serious run before the start of next season to see if they will knock off the Ping G's.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

well, I fail to be a G-Man. Just for a time though. I'm an I Man (I-20s). Look. I'm like Nessism. I grew up playing blades. Played to a 2 once. Hogans or nothing. Married, children, no time to practice. Hammmmm, Eye2's. Well the Hogans and the Eye2's are hanging in the rec room. Left Eye2's for I5's then I20's. When our pro showed up with G25's and began to talk about the reality of most of us- not enough practice, good players but still mishit a few and how it's just ego on some other things I borrowed his clubs, played a few rounds. G30's in the spring. I have NO qualms/hangups/or false pride. I'll join your club, with pleasure!

I have had a few sets of G's and sold them for really no good reason. Going back to them next spring. I found that both ZZ65s and CFS stiffs are a good match with these heads, particularly the ZZ's. Strong flight and good dispersion.

I am waiting til the spring to see if the rumored "G30 Tour" irons come out. May be the best ones yet!

Had to post my latest purchase. Might be a G-man in 2015 as well!!

Comparo pics!

[attachment=2480611:IMG_20141021_213122.jpg][attachment=2480613:IMG_20141021_213401.jpg][attachment=2480615:IMG_20141021_213349.jpg][attachment=2480617:IMG_20141021_213341.jpg][attachment=2480619:IMG_20141021_213321.jpg][attachment=2480623:IMG_20141021_213014.jpg]

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

cue chris berman ... Here come the G-MEN!

G25s 3+5-W w/KBS Tour

I've bounced around irons between ping (i3+blade/s59tour/G10xg) and titleist (962/690cb/ap2 710&712) but these are firmly in the bag - if you can stand the looks I don't think there are better performing irons out there...

I've also been a Gman off the tee (G5/G15).

A few photos comparing G5 to G10 to G25. All great clubs that are remarkably similar. I get a chuckle from people that say G25's are so much sleaker than the older G's. To me it's hard to tell the difference without looking at the back side. The G10's are the Ping 50th anniversary edition. Old fashioned tumble finish with milled grooves. The rock star of G's.

P1000701_zps598c1da5.jpg

P1000699_zps388e5bc2.jpg

P1000697_zps60f6d6b2.jpg

P1000686_zpsb3d82bab.jpg

P1000654_zps28fb88d8.jpg

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Long time Ping player here. I'm a G15 man. 4-SW with the AWT shaft. I think the G15 is going to go down as one of the classic Ping irons. I looked at the newer G stuff when I was at Golfsmith yesterday. Great stuff but no need to change. I'll probably go for a new set when they hit G40 LOL!

The G15 just fits what I'm trying to do with my game these days. I don't have time anymore for regular range work because of so many other commitments. My game is not as sharp, so I just want to enjoy my Saturday round and get away for a few hours. The G15's let me do that. Center of the green and easy enough to chip with that I can shoot a good enough score to stay happy until the next round.

I love me some Ping G!

Great pics Nessism. Love those 50th anniversaries.

You're right, most G series soles are similar, but in the mid to short irons, the 25s are nice and slimmed down. Even if just to the eye, the way they cambered the back portion makes them play smaller IMO.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

Long time Mizuno forged junkie. My local pro made the switch to Pings and one day at the range I grabbed one out of his bag. The ball flew high and straight. I was hooked on the first swing. I got fitted 2 weeks later and have never looked back. G-20's, red dot, Nippon shafts, 5i-UW. I don't see myself switching anytime soon, even to newer Pings (not sure about the longer shafts and even stronger lofts as I currently play my clubs at -.25"). I have what I consider perfect gaps from hybrids (not Pings), to irons, to wedges (not Pings) and feel like all the clubs in the bag do their part for the team. Now friends at the range reach into my bag to hit my clubs and always come away saying how great they are. Thankfully they are all a bit stubborn about switching to the shovels....Keeps me in their pocket just about every week!!!

Well I picked up a set of G30s this past Saturday for an insanely good price and played yesterday. Cold out and hadn't swung a club in month and got 9 easy pars. Had 3 blowup holes but nothing to do with the irons. I have had other G series in the past briefly and played well with them. Never sure why I sold them really....probably ego lol. Been playing forged player's clubs past few years and the G's are just stupid easy to hit.

I made the switch from I5s to G15s. I found the G15s noticeably more forgiving than the I5s. I have a full matching set of G15s (3 iron - gap wedge). I've taken the 3 iron out of the bag and replaced it with a G25 hybrid. I quickly took the gap wedge out and replaced it with a Vokey. The irons are super durable. Despite years of play, they still look great and I'm sure they will outlast me. I love the G series, but they aren't magical. A bad swing will still result in bad shots.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

G25's here. Absolutely no reason to try anything else at this time.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about it and I believe I now HATE my G20 irons (5-PW).

Just finished my 3rd full season with them. Tried them at a Golfsmith and found that they weren't much different than any other GI. Easier to hit, fairly consistent distance and direction but nothing special. UNTIL I realized the fitting cart had so many shafts to try.

So after hitting the CFS shaft I shafted a 7 iron with an NS Pro and then KBS Tours only to find little difference. And then I put a Dynamic Gold S300 in it. Maybe a couple of yards shorter than the others but MUCH tighter dispersion both left to right and distance-wise, just a tad of bias missing to the right. So I used the lie tape and found the marks tended slightly to the toe and I swapped the black dot 7 for a yellow dot 7 and voila'. Repeated the "test" at least 5 different times (as my swing is different every day) total getting the same results every time and put in my order.

This past season I re-shafted with C-Tapers stiff. Probably a little too stout for me but almost indistinguishable from the DG's. Solid, straight and consistent.

So where was I again ? :dntknw:[size=4] [/size][size=4] Oh, right, I HATE my G20s. :ninja:[/size]

[size=4]Reason why ? Now, even though my GIRs have gone up by a couple (from about 9-11 to about 11-13) AND my proximity to the hole has improved as well, my putting, which I've always considered to be about average (for my HC) is being showed up as probably being less than average. :angry:[/size]

I seldom 3 putt. I've always been a pretty good distance putter and I can make at least my share from 4 feet and in.

[size=4]But now, instead of being 20-40 feet or so from the hole I'd be 10-20 feet. Don't expect to make many from over 20 feet but between 10 and 20 ya gotta make SOME,,,,,,,,,, And instead of having maybe 2 or 3 birdie putts within 5-10 feet I began having 3-5 of that length.[/size]

[size=4]Guess what ? I found out I can't make "enough" of them. My HC has remained just about the same while my iron play has improved quite a bit.[/size]

[size=4]God I HATE my G20s !!! :ninja::rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:[/size]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I switch back and forth between my G5's and ISI BECU's. I shot my lowest round ever with a set of G2's ( 78 ). G series irons in my opinion might be the best irons for the majority of golfers ever made. And that's saying a lot.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.