2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

I just played this past weekend with the TP5X. How does it compare to the CSX?

I think the CSX is longer off the tee then the TP5X. Both feel really good to me and both have great durability. Spin wise, both are very close. My top 3 balls out right now are XV, CSX, TP5X

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

SZ head showed up today. Lie angle 60* , 9* head (actual loft is 9.5*)

53090871b290f5920f9b8d31340ea99c.jpg98db06f968a33fde44beed038b3b3ab2.jpg

What's the weight and how much melt do you plan on adding?

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

SZ head showed up today. Lie angle 60* , 9* head (actual loft is 9.5*)

53090871b290f5920f9b8d31340ea99c.jpg98db06f968a33fde44beed038b3b3ab2.jpg

What's the weight and how much melt do you plan on adding?

Headweight is 195.8g. Not sure on how much I'll add. I have a weight kit but obviously I'm restricted to where the weight is. Once I get the shafts in I'll set them up and hit the course to see what's what. Then based on the testing I'll know what I need to do and where I need to add the weight. Based on LM I might add the weight to the toe to create a little more fade bias.

Edel PROTO

Cool to hear you have a weight kit. When reading the forums here, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting different weights.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Cool to hear you have a weight kit. When reading the forums here, it seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting different weights.

Yeah i wish it wasn't so difficult. Honestly i find it annoying that companies come out with adjustable weighted drivers then don't provide weight kits like the days of old. Even if they upcharge for it at least give people access. Fortunately i know some people :D and have a tour level hotmelt setup :D

Edel PROTO

Yeah i wish it wasn't so difficult. Honestly i find it annoying that companies come out with adjustable weighted drivers then don't provide weight kits like the days of old. Even if they upcharge for it at least give people access. Fortunately i know some people :D and have a tour level hotmelt setup :D

Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous that you can't order an extra weight that may cost them an extra ten cents. Even if they charged an extra fee, it would seem that they could make a really great margin on the extra weights.

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Thanks for posting all your reviews.....i always enjoy reading what you have to say.......i have been following your input on the ball testing some what and have a question. i know you are not high on the pro v offerings and think i read where some of it is the price, but price aside, what is your opinion......i have been doing some testing of my own with the Pro V1 X and the new srixon z star XV........in my testing, the Titleist either wins or is equal in every category.......I am in no way asking this to dispute your findings, but am curious what your thoughts are with price not being an issue......for me it is not an issue because i can get Pro v's with a lot of gift cert's that i have in different pro shops that do not carry the srixons......I grabbed a couple dozen of the srixons at the bargain price and do like them....What say you.

Thanks for posting all your reviews.....i always enjoy reading what you have to say.......i have been following your input on the ball testing some what and have a question. i know you are not high on the pro v offerings and think i read where some of it is the price, but price aside, what is your opinion......i have been doing some testing of my own with the Pro V1 X and the new srixon z star XV........in my testing, the Titleist either wins or is equal in every category.......I am in no way asking this to dispute your findings, but am curious what your thoughts are with price not being an issue......for me it is not an issue because i can get Pro v's with a lot of gift cert's that i have in different pro shops that do not carry the srixons......I grabbed a couple dozen of the srixons at the bargain price and do like them....What say you.

I think Prov1x has been the gold standard for quite a while and i have nothing bad to say about it. With that said I think other companies have caught up and you could really play any premium ball and be just fine. Note that I have not tried the new Prov1x so i can't comment on it but the 2016 version was not as good for me as the XV. I think around the greens the prov1x is a little better but not much. What gives XV the edge for me is the lower spin off the tee and it's noticeably better in the wind.

So the answer to your question is really it's a combination of price and performance. Pound for Pound I could play either ball and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in my score. So if i can get one for $20 a dozen vs $40 a dozen it's a no brainer for me.

If both were the same price i would probably play the XV but the decision would be harder to make.

Edel PROTO

I think Prov1x has been the gold standard for quite a while and i have nothing bad to say about it. With that said I think other companies have caught up and you could really play any premium ball and be just fine. Note that I have not tried the new Prov1x so i can't comment on it but the 2016 version was not as good for me as the XV. I think around the greens the prov1x is a little better but not much. What gives XV the edge for me is the lower spin off the tee and it's noticeably better in the wind.

So the answer to your question is really it's a combination of price and performance. Pound for Pound I could play either ball and it wouldn't make a lick of difference in my score. So if i can get one for $20 a dozen vs $40 a dozen it's a no brainer for me.

$20 a dozen Z-Stars is a crazy good deal!

$20 a dozen Z-Stars is a crazy good deal!

I got 4 dozen 2016 XV's for $20/dozen. And i got 6 dozen 2017 XV"s for $20/dozen. For me the decision was easy.

Edel PROTO

What happened to make switch over from reg Epic to Epic SZ?

[color=#0000cd][size=5] ---WITB---[/size][/color]

Driver: M2 2017 8* w/Project X PXv 39
3 Wood: XR16 14.5* w/Project X LZ 60 Handcrafted
Driving iron: Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 17* w/KBS Tour Hybrid Proto 85
Irons: Apex Pro 5-PW w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Wedges: Milled Grind Antique Bronze 50, 55, 60 w/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Custom
Ball: TP5X

If both were the same price i would probably play the XV but the decision would be harder to make.

Thanks....Nice that there are a lot of good balls to choose from.....I remember the old days when a so called players ball would only last a few hole before you looked down and it was smiling at you.

Testing has begun ;)

Edel PROTO

Testing has begun ;)

Excited to see results!!!

WITB 8/5/20
Driver: Taylormade SIM W/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 7X
3 Wood: Taylormade M2 TOUR W/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7X
3 Iron: PXG 0311X GEN 2 W/ KBS TOUR HYBRID PROTOTYPE 95X
4 iron: Mizuno MP-20 HMB W/ Project X LZ 6.5
5-PW:  Mizuno MP-20 MMC W/ Project X LZ 6.5

50,54,60: Titleist Vokey SM8 RAW W/ Onix Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 34"
Grips: Standard Golf Pride ZGrip Cord (Logo Down) +1 Wrap
Ball: Taylormade TP5x 
Bag: 2018 Navy/ Grey Ping Hoofer Lite 

Testing has begun ;)

Excited to see results!!!

I am too. I had it out yesterday but not worth reporting on as i don't have my shafts yet. I have another Agera (EXACT SPECS as the one in my M2) and a Fuji Atmos Black 7TX coming. From hitting the SZ yesterday its just BEGGING for a tip stiff shaft to take the left out of play.

Edel PROTO

Good info. ProV1x is very solid all around. I exclusively play the Bridgestone Tour330. As I've shared, abs J13 knows, I've tested everything and it's crazy how every time the Tour330 is always longest and holds as good as anything else on greens.

Surprised I'm not seeing same results from others? Maybe it's just me being compatible with this particular ball more so than others?

Yes! Can't wait to hear about that Sub Zero vs. M2.. especially with the way you're setting that Sub Zero up! :)

Flame suit on.. I thought the Chrome Soft X was a horrible ball.. the TP5x is no joke, probably going to be my new ball going forward, unless I get a Srixon care package from a "friend" :) I still want to hit the '17 ProV1, but according to their chart I'm a ProV1 not X anymore. Interested to see how that pans out, but won't pay $50/doz. that's for sure!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I have several rolls of "weight kits" that will fit anything---- just saying :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Yes! Can't wait to hear about that Sub Zero vs. M2.. especially with the way you're setting that Sub Zero up! :)

Flame suit on.. I thought the Chrome Soft X was a horrible ball.. the TP5x is no joke, probably going to be my new ball going forward, unless I get a Srixon care package from a "friend" :) I still want to hit the '17 ProV1, but according to their chart I'm a ProV1 not X anymore. Interested to see how that pans out, but won't pay $50/doz. that's for sure!

I'm anxiously awaiting the shafts I have coming. I'm thinking the SZ with the proper shaft will be unbeatable by anything on the market. For now it's just a theory but in the next week or two I'll know if it holds true. As for the CSX I know you weren't a fan but I liked it on the course. First Callaway ball in a long time that I thought I could go right out and play with. On another note I'm anxious to see your new builds coming ;)

I have several rolls of "weight kits" that will fit anything---- just saying :taunt:

Lead tape is very handy but I absolutely despise it. I used it to try weight placement and SW for a club then once I figure that out I can't get it off fast enough so I can add my Hotmelt.

Edel PROTO

Testing has begun ;)

Is it just the angle of the heads in the pic, or does the M2 have a much larger footprint than the SZ?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Testing has begun ;)

Is it just the angle of the heads in the pic, or does the M2 have a much larger footprint than the SZ?

I've seen the same thing with my buddies who have the epic when looking at it next to other drivers.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Testing has begun ;)

I've seen the same thing with my buddies who have the epic when looking at it next to other drivers.

Sorry your saying the footprint is smaller than the M2? Our DSG have not yet received any of the new epic line.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Testing has begun ;)

M2 does have a larger footprint but the angle I took the pic doesn't help. My bag is at my club so next time I'm there I'll grab a few pics to compare size.

Edel PROTO

Testing has begun ;)

Sorry your saying the footprint is smaller than the M2? Our DSG have not yet received any of the new epic line.

They are the same CC's. Just looks slightly smaller. I've held it next to G, LTD, M1 and hit a few on the course with a buddies. Not a huge difference.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

They have arrived. Agera is the exact same weight and CPM as the one I have in my M2. APPLES TO APPLES. The Atmos Black 7TX is right from the tour's stock so I will be trying this against the Agera which has been a great shaft for me since it came out. Let the testing begin.. :D

Edel PROTO

Atmos TX is going to be nasty, leave room in case you need to go full beastmode tipped 1" :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

They have arrived. Agera is the exact same weight and CPM as the one I have in my M2. APPLES TO APPLES. The Atmos Black 7TX is right from the tour's stock so I will be trying this against the Agera which has been a great shaft for me since it came out. Let the testing begin.. :D

I have a very similar test about to take place, except with a Blue Atmos 7 :D

should be fun!

Of course your shafts show up and the temp goes from 71 to 30's overnight. Whyyyyyyy...... :(

Yeah exactly. SUCKS :angry22: :angry22: :angry22: :angry22: . So that leads me to the update. Weather turned to crap and it went from 74* yesterday to 35* today. It's supposed to be cold for the next week so I'll build my stuff and have it ready to go. If I get a break in the weather I'll give an update.

Edel PROTO

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM