J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM

Are you testing the '17 V1/V1X as well?

I'm really not sure what direction I'm going this year. I played the V1X last season, but have really been enjoying the '16 B330s this winter.

No I'm not bothering with the 2017 Prov1x at the moment and kinda tired of paying $50 a dozen.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Are you testing the '17 V1/V1X as well?

I'm really not sure what direction I'm going this year. I played the V1X last season, but have really been enjoying the '16 B330s this winter.

No I'm not bothering with the 2017 Prov1x at the moment and kinda tired of paying $50 a dozen.

2016 Pro V1 has been my favorite but the new 2017 version just seems to be eff'd up from the way their marketing them at least. The good thing about the Pro V1/V1X was they were quite different and that I think that was the good thing about the 2 balls. But they seemed to the mix qualities of both balls, what kinda leaves people who liked one thing about one, or the other is now in limbo (could be wrong but from the pamphlet I saw at DSG today that's what I got from it). I could be wrong, and havent hit the new balls, just both test balls so far.

Regardless the ball game for 2017 may see some decent switches from the main ball companies, towards different companies, or even the small companies. JMO

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

That's fair. I only ever buy them when they do the buy 3 get 1 deal in the spring, which works out to ~$35/dozen. Definitely need to figure something out by the time our handicap season opens up, so I'll be keeping an eye on your testing. Thanks for sharing your insight!

That's fair. I only ever buy them when they do the buy 3 get 1 deal in the spring, which works out to ~$35/dozen. Definitely need to figure something out by the time our handicap season opens up, so I'll be keeping an eye on your testing. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Yeah to be honest i played Prov1x because i had a stock pile from using shop credit (from tourney's). I also took advantage of the buy 3 get 1 deal every year. I made the switch to the Srixon Zstar XV after i found one on the course and played a few holes with it. I liked it enough to go out and buy a dozen to do a real comparison against my Prov1x. Conclusion from the test was the XV spun better around the greens and on 3/4 wedge shots, I also got another 5 or so yards off the tee. But the real cherry on top was realizing i could buy 5 dozen / $100 haha. You can find great deals on other brands like Srixon where your paying $20-25 a dozen throughout the year so why bother with $50/dozen anymore? Even with shop credit it doesn't make sense anymore. I think Prov1x is a great ball don't get me wrong but pound for pound it's not a good value.

Also TM TP5X, HONMA TW-G6 is done i'll post results tonight

Edel PROTO

Yes! ^

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I love the Srixion balls, still have 7 dozen or so for this year. They just work better in the wind for me. I played 3 rounds with the new ProV1X after a friend gave me a sleeve. They play better in the wind, compared to past years. The cover still isn't all that durable and not as good as Srixion 16 versions. I agree, 48 or 50 bucks a dozen, the Titleist are a no go.

Found a couple of the Vice tour balls over the winter, and I thought it was a pretty good ball, although I didn't have it long before I lost it. I wish I knew how to get hold of some for a decent price.

So Taylormade TP5X and Honma TW-G6. Let me start by saying the Honma test is really for fun not a serious test. This ball would have to fly 30yds further for me to consider spending $80 a dozen. I got a sleeve at the show so why not ?

How I test balls:

I hit multiple drives off each tee, hit 175yds shots (7 iron or 3/4 6iron), 145yds shots (full PW or 3/4 9iron), 100yd shots (3/4 54* wedge), and 30yd 2 hop and stop shots.

Honma : 6 piece construction and overall great ball. Spins a little more then my XV off every club it's more like a prov1 in that area. Feel and sound is great and durability is legit. Overall it's a great ball that you can hit every shot with. If you see the pics below (3rd and 4th pic) the Honma is the ball that stops right next to the ball mark. These shots were from 100yds (3/4 54* wedge shot) and probably the most important for me. In the 3rd pic you can see 2 balls at the top of the screen that are right next to the ball marks and 2 balls closer to me. The 2 balls at the top right are the Honma and XV and is the close up 4th pic. The balls closest to me taking the pic are the TM TP5x and Chrome soft X.

Taylormade TP5X: 5 piece ball and probably the best ball TM has made to date. Distance wise it's long and kept up with the XV maybe even was a few yds longer. It's hard to comment on distance unless it's really noticeable because so much of that depends on strike. Spin wise it's pretty low spin off the driver but still feels soft with irons/wedges.

From 175 - Shots stopped about 1-2 ft past the ball mark

From 145 - Shots stopped about 1ft pas the ball mark

Form 100 - Shots stopped about 1ft past ball mark

From 30 - Pretty easy to play a 2 or 3 hop and stop shot but not the best of the group.

So in the 3rd pic the TM ball is the closest to me taking the picture. This was consistent with me trying to play a flighted down wedge into a green. I couldn't get the ball to spin back any which is not a bad thing but not what I prefer. It's stops just not where I'm used to seeing it. Out of the Chrome Soft X, Srixon XV, and Honma, the TM ball spun the least around the greens. Keep in mind i'm talking 1-2ft not 6. From 145 and out the TM TP5 performed just fine with no real difference is spin. Durability wise it's a great ball in fact all of them are. I said it above but this has been the biggest difference between "premium" balls and the bargain urethane balls. Durability and cover is where the difference is not the core.

Overall TM did a great job with this ball and I'd like to try the TP5 (non X) so maybe when it gets warmer. I will say the ball is long off the tee most likely because reduced spin. The TM TP5 and XV were neck and neck with the Honma going the shortest distance and the Chrome Soft X being right behind the TP and XV by 3-5 yds (virtually the same distance).

So far the balls that have peaked my interest to do more testing against the Srixon XV is TM TP5/X, and Cally Chrome Soft X. Durability in all 3 is amazing and performance is pretty simliar. Only thing I haven't been able to see is how the TP5X behaves in the wind. CSX and XV are maybe the best wind balls I've ever played so I'm interested to see how the TP5 stacks up.

Edel PROTO

Awesome man, thanks for the write up.

I have a stock of TPX to play, but looking for next ball between TP5/X, and CSX, so this has been helpful, look forward to further testing as the weather improves.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I'd love to see how the b330 stacks up....I'll donate one of my B logo ones if needed

Appreciate the offer but I'll grab some no worries as I want to try them. Are they all "B" logo's now? It's such a better look then the whole "Bridgestone" name.

@bcfly - no prob glad to share the info.

Edel PROTO

I'd love to see how the b330 stacks up....I'll donate one of my B logo ones if needed

Appreciate the offer but I'll grab some no worries as I want to try them. Are they all "B" logo's now? It's such a better look then the whole "Bridgestone" name.

@bcfly - no prob glad to share the info.

No they aren't all b. Only the ones with snedeker on the box.....hopefully they change that this year. Looks wayyyyyy better!

I think the xv is more durable and can easily be swapped out with the b330....but the b logo imo is the best looking ball on the market.

Hey J, really a great rundown the last few days on the ball reviews (something that seems to get over looked by WRX editors, they never do Ball A vs. Ball B vs. Ball C reviews on here).

Sounds like the TP5 is long, and low spinning, but probably not a full club longer as advertised. Judging by your iron distances I'm curious if slower swing speeds (like me, 100-103) would suffer from the lower into the green. Just a thought.

Regardless thanks for taking the time to do this

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

Hey J, really a great rundown the last few days on the ball reviews (something that seems to get over looked by WRX editors, they never do Ball A vs. Ball B vs. Ball C reviews on here).

Sounds like the TP5 is long, and low spinning, but probably not a full club longer as advertised. Judging by your iron distances I'm curious if slower swing speeds (like me, 100-103) would suffer from the lower into the green. Just a thought.

Regardless thanks for taking the time to do this

No problem glad to do a ball comparison like this. I've never really tested so many balls in a short amount of time so it was fun to see how they differ from one another. The most eye opening part has been spin on less then full wedges which i'm realizing makes a big difference for me. As for the TM TP5X it was not a full club longer for me compared to the CSX and XV.

Interesting stuff....thanks....Have you had any experience with the Z star non XV?

A little yes. I tried it the other day but didn't officially add it to the test as i felt it was spinning more then i'd like off the driver. The SpinSkin or whatever Srixon uses on the cover works well because the XV is low spin off the driver but i can control the ball with wedges and hit all my shots. :golfer:

At this point the only ball left to try is the BStone B330. I'll have to grab a sleeve and see how it goes. If i like it i'll add it to the final testing group which as of now is the Callaway Chrome Soft X, Srixon XV, and TM TP5X.

Edel PROTO

How is "under construction" going with the long clubs?

Lets just say i have some toy's on the way for on course testing. :pimp: :busted_cop:

Edel PROTO

Lets just say i have some toy's on the way for on course testing. :pimp: :busted_cop:

I should get to hit at least the Epic GBB Friday or Saturday, maybe both heads, looking at mid 50's both days.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

F7+ I hope!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Great info. Thanks. Couple questions if you know....When does the tp5x come out? Is it more durable than TPx? Have you hit the new XV? What are the differences from old to new XV? The other area of the ball that makes a difference is putting. The sound, softness, and pop seem to be quite a bit different between some balls. Also the way the ball reacts on short shots around the green. All different. I'm think I'm so used to prov1x, that I just know how it's going to react. Challenges of ball testing and switching....thanks again.

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Great info. Thanks. Couple questions if you know....When does the tp5x come out? Is it more durable than TPx? Have you hit the new XV? What are the differences from old to new XV? The other area of the ball that makes a difference is putting. The sound, softness, and pop seem to be quite a bit different between some balls. Also the way the ball reacts on short shots around the green. All different. I'm think I'm so used to prov1x, that I just know how it's going to react. Challenges of ball testing and switching....thanks again.

Not sure when TP5X comes out sorry

Haven't hit the new XV yet

So far the XV has been my preferred ball around the greens (chips and pitches). TP5X rolled out a bit more for me but still good. Chrome Soft X was also good around the greens. Just a matter of what your used to. All feel great off the putter IMO. Soft urethane covers are hard to mess up. It took me about me about 3-4 rounds to get used to the XV and see how it was better then the Prov1x. Not saying it's better for everyone but for me it was. Longer off the tee, and MUCH MUCH better in the wind for me.

Something else i didn't know what Titleist licenses some patents from Srixon to make their balls. Srixons owns more ball patents then anyone else in the game. Crazy right?

Edel PROTO

So far the XV has been my preferred ball around the greens (chips and pitches). TP5X rolled out a bit more for me but still good. Chrome Soft X was also good around the greens. Just a matter of what your used to. All feel great off the putter IMO. Soft urethane covers are hard to mess up. It took me about me about 3-4 rounds to get used to the XV and see how it was better then the Prov1x. Not saying it's better for everyone but for me it was. Longer off the tee, and MUCH MUCH better in the wind for me.

Something else i didn't know what Titleist licenses some patents from Srixon to make their balls. Srixons owns more ball patents then anyone else in the game. Crazy right?

That is surprising. I would have guessed that Bridgestone would have had the most patents for golf balls.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

That is surprising. I would have guessed that Bridgestone would have had the most patents for golf balls.

I was surprised as well but they did a big ball segment on the PGA Tour network. Sumitomo Corp who owns Srixon is the reason why. Rubber companies are the key.

Edel PROTO

You've definitely convinced me to give the XV another go. I just picked up a 6-pack at GG yesterday, while I was in there buying a putter grip. I'm interested to see how it stacks up against the V1X, and the B330s.

Good luck with the rest of the testing. I always enjoy seeing on-course test results. We've got some good weather in the extended forecast!

I found a yellow XV on the course the other day, but I'm not sure of the model year. It was very clicky off the putter. Are the new ones softer?

I'm going to get some sleeves of different balls to try too. It is a fun thing to do while things are still in the offseason for us non-CA or FL types!

...CSX, V1X, XV, and whatever else they have. I already have some B330S and 2017 Pro V1. So far, the B330S might spin too much for me and looses out on distance compared to my TP ball and CS. I've only carpet putted with the V1 so far, but it seems kind of ho-hum. Need to get it out on the course though.

I've been REALLY enjoying last year's Taylormade TP, which was a "discovery" I made late in the season when I bought a sleeve on a whim. I never considered TM as a ball-maker, but I'm now really looking forward to the TP5/X!

Pulled my old Titleist 735.CM's out of closet and put them in play today. Needed to test Tour330's to see just how much they spin with traditional iron...Wow I was amazed. Backed up PW and 9I several times and 7I and 6I rolled out just a few feet.

Really impressed with distance and spin levels for new Bridgestone Tour330!

• J13 changed the title to J13's WITB: Update- FUJIKURA AXIOM