2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

In light of the other posts for blade sub forums, and the positive "back to reality" thread that went south, I would like to start a POSITIVE only thread for players that use blades or those curious about what users are saying. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone answering to bring up the cbs vs blades dead horse subject. If someone posts disregarding that rule, I ask that all others contributing COMPLETELY IGNORE what they posted, even if it is a harmless post meant as a way to get the crapfest ball rolling. Please use good judgement in responding.

I will do my best to moderate and remind people of the rules of this thread as it grows and this post is buried. If you cannot contribute to this thread in the spirit in which it is being posted, please do not click on it or respond. This goes for everyone on all sides.

So what is the point of this thread? Basically I would like to pick up where the back to reality thread left off, and keep it all positive. Please post your awesome pics of clubs, share what clubs you love, which ones you would like to get/try, share your experiences, and what you like about traditional irons and all things blade.

So I will start.

My name is nick, I am a high 70s low 80s golfer. I love the game, and I love the shots I remember. To me, the best thing in golf is standing behind your ball, seeing your shot, the stepping up to the ball and making that image a reality. I prefer playing blades not for one main reason but the sum of a few. I very much prefer the feel/feedback, I am handsy and feel I can manipulate through the impact zone better(this is not always a good thing), and I prefer the address setup and very much a thinner sole to cut grass.

I am very partial to my mp 14s, they were not my first set by a longshot, but they are the golf club equivalent of my first love.

Played wilson fg17's thru high school..2nd year of college went to dunlop australian blades with neumann grips...best clubs i ever had until they were stolen..more recently played hogan edge until now..just got a set of mid 80's haig ultras with x-100 shafts and like new neumann grips from ebay...only range testing them as late been raining alot here but soon will hit the course...I already love these irons...I have a small post on them that I posted today

Thanks for the pics 3jack. That is a sweet looking club.

Am I the only one who has had better luck with a traditional MB 3i than any of the modern driving irons? Curious if it is the thick soles or just mental

Me. I did a full blown experience with driving irons last summer. Posted about it here. MB 3 iron is firmly in the bag. Only thing that can compete is the MB 2i. No desire to give driving irons any more looks.

There's lots of choices with Blades Irons...In the Market to Purchase Irons this Month. I do know most of our choices With Clubs are The Feel or Feedback from Irons.

Those of you considering to buy Blades for 2017 Any suggestions which Forged Blades you'd consider?

What I've reviewed...Sixion, Mizuno, APex MB, T-Made, Titleist...Tried most All feel pretty good to me. Was going to wait for the New MB from Callaway but sounds like late this Year so considering other choices.

Thanks

Don't forget about Cobra (Amp Cell Pro (2014), Fly Z Pro (2015), King Pro (2016)). I'm in love with mine, and I've looked at all the ones you mention above. I just think it is the most classic looking, and is extremely solid. (You have to custom order the full MB set. If you order them stock, it transitions into a CB, which is obviously no bueno). Love love love them.

What does everyone make of this? http://www.kyoeigolf.co.jp/corporate/dear-overseas-golf-players

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

I really like the appearance of Scratch irons. Someday I will stumble into a set.

FairwayFred on here might have a few sets.

I want to 'stumble' into his one-off custom irons that keep showing up on the BST, but I'd need to sell the rack of clubs above to afford the set.

Here's my challenge.

1 set for $1500+

or

10 + sets for $1500.

I seem to be a man who likes to sample from the buffet.

I definitely have my favourites and also have a set or two that I'd take into 'battle' if pressed to decide, but at present I'm a deal hunter.

There were a bunch of Scratch heads that turned up on the BST a few months back still wrapped in the plastic for reasonable prices. At the time I was on a self-imposed club buying hiatus. I'm an idiot.

That's rough peanuts. I feel for you. I passed on a 2-P brand new set of Aussie Blades at a local swap meet for $135. They were the last version before they went belly up. That was before I found this wonderful haven.

Speaking of sets, I have quite a few shops in my area that sell second hand. Does anyone have a set they can't find or are looking for a club? I might be able to find it. Palm Springs has hordes of premium golf equipment that end up in thrift stores.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I really like the appearance of Scratch irons. Someday I will stumble into a set.

I agree. I've always loved the look of that soft grey steel and the simple 'S' logo. They have a classy and original look.

R.I.P. Scratch Golf

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

FairwayFred on here might have a few sets.

I got the 3 iron head through "Scratchtastic", who is another of the former owners of the company. He hunted down a new head for me, which I really appreciated. I unfortunately didn't get to compare the 3i v. DI on the Trackman tonight, so no data yet.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Beautiful irons BCULAW and 3 Jack. Thanks for the positive vibe you always give off Bobby Clampett, your energy is undeniably positive, positive, and more positive and very refreshing.

I have to say the renewed energy I have for the game after coming home to playing blades is undeniable. The focus and increased concentration levels has my hcp dropping and my desire to play hasn't been at this level in about 12 years. Keep up the great post to all and welcome any new blade forum posters and share your stories. There is no evil judgement you have to deal with in this forum, just really positive people with a passion that is self evident from just reading a few pages and a great place to share your thoughts on the game or irons as a whole.

You guys are going to turn me into a hoarder... I already collect shafts and putters, maybe I should consider more irons

Don't let them sink their 'claws' into you.

This is 1/2 of the collection. I'm going to build one more rung under the desk (my club building station) and then I have no clue. Six golf bags take up a lot of space.

I think my wife is on to me : )

Love it!

Tragedy strikes...an empty bent to hell box was received instead of an awesomely perfect $20 silver Scot 2i...they could've just just broken the head off and thrown it in the box and taped it back up. Thanks so much for your time USPS. You guys are terrible. Who cares about the shaft!?! That head was primo.

Sorry to hear that, Sir Slice. As you say, just getting the head would have been alright, yet they couldn't even get that right.

Anyway, got my first round of the year coming up tomorrow. Should be nice. The weather is going to be perfect: winds up to 20mp, temperatures near freezing, and the chance of snow. I'm picking which pair of shorts to take even as I type.

I've decided to bag the VIPs tomorrow, which will their first ever outing on the course. I've practised with them a lot, but never hit them in anger, so it'll be interesting tomorrow. Conditions as they are, I wondered about taking the easiest set I have (MP-4s), but if I think like that, I'll never get the VIPs to the course. I really wanted to take the Mac MTs, but my practise session on Tuesday had me thinking that I need to get the lies looked at again. Depending on the iron, the look at set-up was just too different.

Finally, I'll try to take the camera tomorrow and get some pictures up. The course I'm playing is one of my favourites, but it's not easy, and tomorrow it should be a beast.

I agree. I've always loved the look of that soft grey steel and the simple 'S' logo. They have a classy and original look.

R.I.P. Scratch Golf

Agreed. I got a really big promotion at work few years back and bought myself a set of SB-1s (4-p), 1018 wedges, and the early version white Scratch Staff bag - all stamped with my initials and complete with custom ferrules. It was, and still is, my largest golf purchase, and I was more proud of those clubs than any I have owned. They played the part, too. I loved those things.

A few years back, I had some health issues and had to leave work indefinitely. I ended up selling the irons, wedges, and bag to help make ends meet. I've regretted it ever since.

The worst part is that I came across my irons about a year and a half later on eBay - unless someone else had Scratch irons stamped "BCU18" (my initials and college baseball number). We were still recovering from my time out of work, and I just couldn't pull the trigger on them. It's a shame Scratch is gone. I've moved onto other sets, obviously, but I have always hoped another set SB-1s and a staff bag would pop up at a deal too good to pass up.

Tragedy strikes...an empty bent to hell box was received instead of an awesomely perfect $20 silver Scot 2i...they could've just just broken the head off and thrown it in the box and taped it back up. Thanks so much for your time USPS. You guys are terrible. Who cares about the shaft!?! That head was primo.

Sorry, man. That sucks!

Beautiful irons BCULAW and 3 Jack. Thanks for the positive vibe you always give off Bobby Clampett, your energy is undeniably positive, positive, and more positive and very refreshing.

I have to say the renewed energy I have for the game after coming home to playing blades is undeniable. The focus and increased concentration levels has my hcp dropping and my desire to play hasn't been at this level in about 12 years. Keep up the great post to all and welcome any new blade forum posters and share your stories. There is no evil judgement you have to deal with in this forum, just really positive people with a passion that is self evident from just reading a few pages and a great place to share your thoughts on the game or irons as a whole.

Amen brother! I love this thread. It's pretty much my only social media (although there can be some cool golf stuff on Instagram). I always just want to post all my golf thoughts about every imaginable topic here (which I've pretty much done), although that scary golfbot post from the other day has me worried that big brother is watching....

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Finally got my Mizuno MP4's and T7 wedges today. Can't wait to hit them but unfortunately it's indoor season in Sweden so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I can hit them on grass. Anyone whos got them and what are your thoughts? :miz: :miz: :miz:

[b][font=times new roman,times,serif]WITB:[/font][/b]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][b]Driver: [/b]Nike Vapor Pro (10,5 degrees)
Shaft: Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana s+ Blue Board 60g X-Stiff

[b]3-wood:[/b] Nike Vapor Speed (15 degrees)
Shaft: ------ " ------

[b]5-wood: [/b]Nike Vapor Speed (19 degrees)
Shaft: ------ " ------

[b]Irons: [/b]Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) (2 degrees upright)
Shaft: N.S.PRO Modus3 Tour 105 X-stiff + 0,5"

[b]Wedges: [/b]Mizuno T7 White Satin (51-08, 56-14) (1 degree upright)
Shaft: N.S.PRO Modus3 Tour 105 X-stiff + 0,5"

[b]Putter: [/b]Ping Karsten TR Anser 2 (35,25")
[b]Ball: [/b]Titleist ProV1x[/font]

Finally got my Mizuno MP4's and T7 wedges today. Can't wait to hit them but unfortunately it's indoor season in Sweden so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks until I can hit them on grass. Anyone whos got them and what are your thoughts? :miz: :miz: :miz:

Lots of MP4 love around here...future classic in the making. 'The art of shotmaking' is not overstated marketing by Mizuno in any way.

Can't see anything kicking them out of the bag until the Baby Blade bug bites...which is sure to happen when you come on here often enough!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

So I just figured out I'm getting a $416 tax refund (no I was not doing my taxes while at work....). Sweet! I never know if I'm getting or owing...

I have the fondest memories of being a little kid, and on tax refund day my mom would always take me to the store and I'd get to pick out some awesome toy (can't even remember what they were now, but I remember the feeling of excitement at such a random time of year, funny). So I am going to continue on this fun tradition and buy myself a toy. Here is my golf wishlist. I'm thinking either the Epic or the Edel putter. Still haven't hit either one though, lol.

Anyone else buying a fun toy with a tax refund? Or have a running Golf Wishlist? I have a regular wishlist too, but it's not as fun. I keep them both on a Google Drive document and update them constantly. The indoor putting green has been on the list the longest, since I don't actually have a home to put one in. Someday though, that will help me through the long Wyoming winters. I'm envisioning a man cave that is 75% putting green...

Golf Wishlist:

Callaway GBB Epic SZ Driver

Stitch Golf Bag

3 Dozen New Pro-V1 balls

GD ad gp black edition shaft

Edel Torque Balanced Putter

Sweet golf pants and shirts

Nice indoor putting green

Miura Small Blades

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Oven Built Driver

Nike VR Pro or Nike Forged blades

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

my friend whos a mini tour pro uses them loves them. The MP4s are probably one of the longer blades out there along with the hogans. I just wish Mizuno made them for leftys like me!!! Enjoy them!

So I just figured out I'm getting a $416 tax refund (no I was not doing my taxes while at work....). Sweet! I never know if I'm getting or owing...

I have the fondest memories of being a little kid, and on tax refund day my mom would always take me to the store and I'd get to pick out some awesome toy (can't even remember what they were now, but I remember the feeling of excitement at such a random time of year, funny). So I am going to continue on this fun tradition and buy myself a toy. Here is my golf wishlist. I'm thinking either the Epic or the Edel putter. Still haven't hit either one though, lol.

Anyone else buying a fun toy with a tax refund? Or have a running Golf Wishlist? I have a regular wishlist too, but it's not as fun. I keep them both on a Google Drive document and update them constantly. The indoor putting green has been on the list the longest, since I don't actually have a home to put one in. Someday though, that will help me through the long Wyoming winters. I'm envisioning a man cave that is 75% putting green...

Golf Wishlist:

Callaway GBB Epic SZ Driver

Stitch Golf Bag

3 Dozen New Pro-V1 balls

GD ad gp black edition shaft

Edel Torque Balanced Putter

Sweet golf pants and shirts

Nice indoor putting green

Miura Small Blades

Nike Covert 2.0 Tour Oven Built Driver

Nike VR Pro or Nike Forged blades

Good list. When you aren't thinking about your list, what's the first item that comes to mind on your list when you first think of it?

Had my first round with mine today. This is my third set and I love them. Look great, feel great, and they are stinking LONG for a traditional, blade style iron. I've got to tinker with my specs, but they are as good as Mizuno has made, IMO, and that is saying something.

Keep us posted on the T7 wedges. I saw them in person for the first time last week and fell in love with the shape of the heads. I didn't think I would like the blue finish, but it is really pretty cool looking. And, the grind in the 60/06 looks outstanding - low bounce, wide sole, lots of relief. On paper, it is just what I need. I've been counting the days until I could pick a set up. Anxious to hear how they work for you.

Public service announcement ! Callaway tour only mb1 irons in bst just posted. $675 3-Pw. Very good seller I will personally vouch for. If anyone here covets a set this is as cheap as I've ever seen them !

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1440688-holy-moly-there-is-more-tour-issue-mb-1s-tour-issue-m2-15deg-deep-face-and-more/page__pid__14946922#entry14946922

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Good list. When you aren't thinking about your list, what's the first item that comes to mind on your list when you first think of it?

Probably the Edel putter. I tried a Brick once in a PGASS and made everything. It felt so incredibly stable. Then I did some research on the idea of torque balanced and it just makes so much sense. Friend of mine has an Edel putter cart and does Edel putter fittings. Didn't love the look of the Brick, but the looks of the other torque balanced models look pretty sweet, particularly the E3 black: https://edelgolf.com/collections/torque-balanced-putters/products/e-3-torque-balanced-black

2i- Ping Blueprint

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

WTF is a tax refund? I am ignoring my taxes, fortunately we are still busy from before holidays so I haven't even bothered going over last year yet and it is February already....

3woodvt, that post really means a lot man. This thread is really about attitude and outlook on the game as much as irons, and really to be this far into it and read a post like that from someone who gets what it really is about and appreciates it is the biggest testament to the success of this thread I have seen in a while. It would be an outright lie to say that what this thread has become was exactly what I had in mind when making it, but looking back at how it came about, while I didn't see it coming, I am not surprised either. Just a bunch of find it in the dirt golfers is all.

So my back has felt really good since Sunday. I am going to hit balls again sometime between tomorrow and Sunday and see how that goes. Should be fine. I am really itching to play just for fun, but it is jam packed here still and golf stops sounding fun with a 4+ hour round. In the mean time I put myself to sleep by going through Japanese auctions..it never gets old and holy crap I could spend $10,000 on stuff I don't even like looks of or is just way to off the wall to entertain just to hit it and see what is up.

I am currently infatuated with a set of Hiro Matsumoto (yes the putter guy) irons. No catchy, if there is any inside info you got on these I will take it. I am sure they were a small fortune new, but the set is like a reasonable amount used, I think? I have no way to valuate any of this nonsense past "looks cool".....they have like a muscleish cb sorta head. Looks small and compact, back of heads are cnc'ed, and they are just super clean good looking head. Plus at this point, The more outlandish the better.

Probably the Edel putter. I tried a Brick once in a PGASS and made everything. It felt so incredibly stable. Then I did some research on the idea of torque balanced and it just makes so much sense. Friend of mine has an Edel putter cart and does Edel putter fittings. Didn't love the look of the Brick, but the looks of the other torque balanced models look pretty sweet, particularly the E3 black: https://edelgolf.com/collections/torque-balanced-putters/products/e-3-torque-balanced-black

The putter it is. You will use it the most of any golf club, and it's technically one step closer to a putting green in the basement. Even more so, it inspired confidence. Seems like a no brainer buddy.

Not really because of the tax refund, but maybe I'll spin it that way, and the timing is right if I get off my a** and do my taxes before that, but I have a trip to Bandon Dunes planned for late March! Playing all four courses over 3 days. I'm so excited!

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Grabbed this Macgregor M85 reissue 1 iron off the bay to satisfy my curiosity. Included is a comparison pic of the sole widths - I thought the Hogans were knives...

I want to rebuild the 1 iron to my specs, but it's just so pretty as is, with its GP classic cord grip.

Did the 58-59 hogan sunbursts have 1 irons in the sets? I've been looking without any results, perhaps those better informed than I would know.

Grabbed this Macgregor M85 reissue 1 iron off the bay to satisfy my curiosity. Included is a comparison pic of the sole widths - I thought the Hogans were knives...

I want to rebuild the 1 iron to my specs, but it's just so pretty as is, with its GP classic cord grip.

Did the 58-59 hogan sunbursts have 1 irons in the sets? I've been looking without any results, perhaps those better informed than I would know.

Damn, that thing is gorgeous!