2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

NRJyzr

I find I can hit the MS-11 3i and 4i better than my MP-4 4i. Perhaps I should switch them out...

Funny, I tend to hit my MP14 long irons a little longer and more consistently than my MP4s. At least I've hit more "wow" shots with the 14s.

MP-14s are quite possibly the best iron set Mizuno ever produced.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Cracking stories chaps, I do love hearing about other people's heroics, especially with a set of blades in hand :)

I went on a golf trip last weekend down to Ashbury in Devon, with 18 friends and my trusty Nikes in tow. Now most people who attended only played once or twice a year, so the focus wasn't really on the golf, more on the refreshments. Most people would suggest a mixture of beer before the round, and rum and vodka during it is not particularly condusive to good ball striking, especially with a set of blades, but I somehow conspired to have my best weekend of ball striking, ever. I've been having a few lessons over winter, and I really started to see the results.

My long irons especially, were deadly accurate. I didn't take the 1 iron with me (too early in the season), but the 2 iron was going like a guided missile, striahgt down the middle with a little draw, and some backspin on the fairway when it landed for good measure (to be fair the fairways were very very wet, even Drivers weren't rolling out). Some particular highlights:

- Par 3, about 160 yards into the wind. Got my 5 iron out and pitched it 5 feet from the hole, then watched it spin back to 2 feet.

- Par 4, about 400 yards in total, with a stream at about 220. 2 iron to the middle of the fairway about 210, then a full 3 iron to the heart of the green.

- Blind approach to an uphill Par 4, got the 6 iron out and put it 10 feet away. Would have sank the putt if the green had been dry too.

- 260 yard par 4 with water, trees and all sorts in front of the green. Most people were laying up with a 7 iron then hitting their second shots in from there, I got my Covert out, cleared all the rubbish and landed it on the fringe.

- Par 5, 220 yards to go from the wrong fairway, all uphill with many trees in the way. Get the 5 wood out, land it on the front of the green. Then 4 putt but we'll ignore that :)

- Another Par 5, drive down the middle to about 190 remaining, get 3 iron out, centre of green, 2 putt birdie.

Best round was a 77 (5 Over) on the Saturday, 4 birdies, 7 bogeys and a double after a lost ball. To add insult to injury, done with a yellow ball as well (RZN Black) :)

If anyone is in the UK and is looking for a decent venue for a golf weekend, I can recommend Ashbury. Very good value (3 nights, 7 rounds of golf, buggies and all food for about £320), nice courses and plenty to do in the resort afterwards (ten pin bowling, snooker, indoor bowls, pool, games consoles and lots lots more).

Edited to add, one of the friends in question took his Nike VR TW Blades along as well, which I had a go of. Very nice irons, but also very similar to the originals.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Bodhi, we weren't talking about the flat stick, so easy to ignore the 4 jack :).

Funnily enough, after the 4 jack I wasn't talking about the putter much either. Not in repeatable terms anyway :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Hey friends, been a Lil while...had my phone stolen at the course a few weeks ago so been out of the loop.

I love my mp 5s more every round...have a 690.cb 2 iron in the bag and the 440 flex kicked the m1 and r15 430 out of the bag....don't get as good distance but the flex is as accurate a driver as I've ever used and I'll take soft and straight over far and where the "f" is my ball.

Played Riverdale this past weekend, shot an 84.

The guy I played with, he's family so I can't truly call him out the way I should, but in a word, cheats like no one I've seen. I wouldn't mind his insane score keeping but after rounds he brags about his score, etc....

If the ball is within 5 feet, he counts that as in, he doesn't add a stroke for give-mes, etc, all of which is fine, unless u count everyone else's the right way, lie about your score, brag that u shot a 71(he actually shot a 94). I called him out on hole 2, when he gave himself a 3 instead of a 6, but he said, as if I could just hallucinate 3 shots, that I must be confused regardless, I kept a seperate score card that tracked his true score, and the difference was 23 strokes...23!!!...what would u guys do....he's gonna be in my life for the long haul. I know it's just golf, but he literally rubs everyone's nose in his scores, how many strokes he wins by etc....I swear i feel like I'm on some flicking hidden camera show when he talks to see if I'll go insane and beat him to death with my putter.... funny thing is he is actually pretty decent, can drive the heck out of the ball, but from about 30 yards in he falls apart

Grew up playing hand me down Spalding 'Bert Yancey' blades, currently gaming MP-64 and Titleist 660 and have decided to get a set of MP-4 irons and T7 wedges made by Yoro Craft to use as I try for the MId-Am this year. First new set I've ever purchased. Going back to steel as well, I find myself not being as smooth at all, getting jerky with graphite, even 110g. so looking at ProSoft or Sensicore inserts. Ordered with no paintfill so I can go black, dark blue, and gold, MP-14 style.

Specs:

MP-4 3-PW

Stamping - 4B (no paintfill), no GFF or other stamping on hosel

Finish - Raw (no gloss)

Shaft - Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue (standard length)

Grip - Golf Pride Tour Velvet (will be replaced by GripMaster wrap of same weight)

Other - Decrease Offset, + Topline thinner grind

Loft - 3-20, 4-23, 5-26, 6-30, 7-34, 8-38, 9-42, Pw-47

Lie - 1 degree flat

Swingweight - D2.5

Just scored a set of Vapor Pro's with Modus3's for $230. Cant wait to test them against my 690's

Let me know what you think about the Vapor Pro's. I myself have a set of 690.'s and hearing your opinion would be real close to home for me.

Sold the 690..... Swapping the c tapers from them to the Nike and selling the Modus3.

The Vapors are fantastic

That took a solid week or so to commit haha You liked them that much?

Sir edward, I would be calling out your cheating family guy for his total score at every hole. After every hole, if he doesn't declare the true score he got, I would be counting each stroke out as witnessed and then literally and flat out laugh out loud if he even attempted to short the count when it is obvious and witnessed as he played the hole. I don't really care if folks play for a score or not, but if you do and you are going to have the audacity to brag about your score which is 23 strokes short of actual, then you are going to get called out BIG TIME for it.

I have a brother in law that would "forget" a few strokes every now and then (but LMAO not 23!!!), but now he doesn't anymore because he knows others are "helping" him count up strokes correctly.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Just scored a set of Vapor Pro's with Modus3's for $230. Cant wait to test them against my 690's

Let me know what you think about the Vapor Pro's. I myself have a set of 690.'s and hearing your opinion would be real close to home for me.

Sold the 690..... Swapping the c tapers from them to the Nike and selling the Modus3.

The Vapors are fantastic

took two range sessions :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

The Vapors are fantastic

690s, both cb and mb, are some of the best irons I can think of. I have a 690.cb 2 iron in my bag still. I don't think the promise of the entire 700 line, till arguably the 716s (non ap2) ever really equalled the feel and look of the 690s.

I regret selling mine (I had both cb and mb) and have owned each variation of the 710 and 714 but, when my buddy brings out my old 690s, I'm still like, why did I let those baby's go....regardless, I'd hold on to the 690s for a month or two just to make sure u didn't dump the perfect girl for a newer younger girl that excites you till you realize that she wants to go clubbing every night, drinks like a Russian, flirts with every dude between 17 and 55, and leaves a Jackson pollock rendering on your pillow case every morning from her make up, and speaks double negatives without a clue that she is saying the opposite of what she means. When deep down inside, all u really want is to spend a nice, quiet night in a rocking chair, smoking a pipe, reading the newest golf digest with a warm mug of hot cocoa, with a splash of caramel drizzle on the top, which you've mentioned to the vapors numerous times but she never remembers. You'll let out a sigh, longing for that perfectly sculpted whipped cream bunker, the slightly steaming(though not too hot) way the 690s made the cocoa, which always seemed to warmly wrap u in a purple cloud as you nodded off to bed, with a half smile on your face, and contentment in your soul. But maybe the vapors will work out too, just make sure u have a pre-nup.

"leaves a Jackson pollock rendering on your pillow case every morning from her make up"

^ OMFG this is gold and made coffee go up my nose as I read it.

Registered Bladeocrat

I didnt dislike the 690 at all. I had them and my Maxfli Rev Blacks (still have the Max) FOREVER for a reason. That said, the Vapor Pros are the business.

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Hey friends, been a Lil while...had my phone stolen at the course a few weeks ago so been out of the loop.

I love my mp 5s more every round...have a 690.cb 2 iron in the bag and the 440 flex kicked the m1 and r15 430 out of the bag....don't get as good distance but the flex is as accurate a driver as I've ever used and I'll take soft and straight over far and where the "f" is my ball.

The guy I played with, he's family so I can't truly call him out the way I should, but in a word, cheats like no one I've seen. I wouldn't mind his insane score keeping but after rounds he brags about his score, etc....

If the ball is within 5 feet, he counts that as in, he doesn't add a stroke for give-mes, etc, all of which is fine, unless u count everyone else's the right way, lie about your score, brag that u shot a 71(he actually shot a 94). I called him out on hole 2, when he gave himself a 3 instead of a 6, but he said, as if I could just hallucinate 3 shots, that I must be confused regardless, I kept a seperate score card that tracked his true score, and the difference was 23 strokes...23!!!...what would u guys do....he's gonna be in my life for the long haul. I know it's just golf, but he literally rubs everyone's nose in his scores, how many strokes he wins by etc....I swear i feel like I'm on some flicking hidden camera show when he talks to see if I'll go insane and beat him to death with my putter.... funny thing is he is actually pretty decent, can drive the heck out of the ball, but from about 30 yards in he falls apart

Maybe offer up a friendly game of skins.$1 a hole or less.That way his scoring can be audited in real time and you can force him to finish out a hole. You buy the beers after round..

I like Nike in general. I'm usually impressed when I come across their balls, game the 440 flex over m1, sldr jdm, and r15tp.

I loved the tw vr blades, the vr pro mb, and that first scantily badged nike blade. However, I always thought the look of their last iteration of clubs was a kinda odd and personally, couldn't hit them worth a ding-dang-doo.

Why didn't you like the nippons BTW?

I thought the 130s felt good but we're harder to control than the 120s. I loved the 125s(in 710mbs) the most.

I went back to kbs tours in my mp5s due to better dispersion with a similar, though ever so slightly worse feel.

Ok. I'd been off the site for a minute and was pretty shocked to see the mp 18...I guess in a way they are getting back to their roots since they look very mp 33ish (and...ahem...690.mbish)

Not a huge fan of the finish, kinda looks like a 714mb

I guess when u have the mp-4, where else is there to go? The 5s are an anomaly I guess...I was hoping they release an mp 6 that was an mp-5 with a slightly small toe, thinner top line, and add a little more girth to that already stupendous muscle...basically the 5 shape in a mp 4 size head.

The Vapors are fantastic

took two range sessions :)

Haha nice. With a lot of vendors just looking to get rid of the Nike clubs they have left I may have to pick up a pair.

But I ask: MP-4 or Nike Vapors?

Haha nice. With a lot of vendors just looking to get rid of the Nike clubs they have left I may have to pick up a pair.

But I ask: MP-4 or Nike Vapors?

Cant answer that as I am a lefty....

Best part. I picked up my Vapors for $230 with Modus3 and sold the shafts for $210......chicken.........dinner

Seemore mFGP2 

So I got out today and played in a foursome with two unknowns. They were nice enough to play with except the one fellow seriously needs to use cheaper balls. Just because you hit your ball clearly to hell and gone does not mean the Air Force needs to launch a helo to find it. It alternated between the Guardian and the Fugitive. He had the worst luck I have ever seen. He rolled his drive onto the cart path at the top of a hill where it rolled all the way down gaining serious speed then hopped over the curb went into the woods and down an embankment into the water. There were other glorious shots but seriously who am I to talk? The guy that stayed out of the water! That's who! Only guy on my foursome not to wash his ball in the murky depths of the local water hazards.

So the fairy godmother of long drives visited me five times today. I had five drives over 245 today in a head wind of one to two clubs...Not my math. I also choked on every par three and topped a couple of second shots. My PW was an angel of mercy and got my out of so many jams and on to greens. The greens were aerated and slow, but still better than my local goat track.

The real comedy hour came on 18 where we played for a dollar to the winner of the hole. I step up hell bent to out drive all these folks and then set myself up for a hybrid masterpiece right on to the green. So I huff and I puff and I'm looking for 275 and SLICE!!!! Right on to the lawn or house or something of the fat guy in a blue shirt with his arms crossed. Well it's nine miles OB, but this clown takes the ball and runs inside his house and stands behind the screen door arms crossed. Joke's on him, it's a scuffed up Wilson bulk ball. The blue ball troll got me! So two three irons later I pitch on to the green and end up with triple. I read the putt well and left it six inches short from about 35 feet.

Sir edward, I would be calling out your cheating family guy for his total score at every hole. After every hole, if he doesn't declare the true score he got, I would be counting each stroke out as witnessed and then literally and flat out laugh out loud if he even attempted to short the count when it is obvious and witnessed as he played the hole. I don't really care if folks play for a score or not, but if you do and you are going to have the audacity to brag about your score which is 23 strokes short of actual, then you are going to get called out BIG TIME for it.

I have a brother in law that would "forget" a few strokes every now and then (but LMAO not 23!!!), but now he doesn't anymore because he knows others are "helping" him count up strokes correctly.

Seems its an affliction brothers in law seem to suffer from...I thought throughout the round, if he cheats this much in this gentlemans' world, what is he doing in the real world..I only play with him a few times a year, mostly at belvedere or dumMagless, but then have to suffer in silence the rest of the time from his reflections on his round...however, I will say on the second hole, when he came up 3 strokes shy of his actual score (btw....he does keep a handicap)I jabbed him in the stomach with the grip end of my putter. Satisfaction comes in small doses

Played with a guy like that once. Nice guy. Think he became a police officer.

Seems its an affliction brothers in law seem to suffer from...I thought throughout the round, if he cheats this much in this gentlemans' world, what is he doing in the real world..I only play with him a few times a year, mostly at belvedere or dumMagless, but then have to suffer in silence the rest of the time from his reflections on his round...however, I will say on the second hole, when he came up 3 strokes shy of his actual score (btw....he does keep a handicap)I jabbed him in the stomach with the grip end of my putter. Satisfaction comes in small doses

A guy like that deserves his clubs reversed in his bag. We had a "family member" show up last weekend as a fourth. I couldn't believe how many swings this guy took and how few he recorded. I'm cool with whiffs not being recorded or a ball being bumped off the tee by the address, but when you chase the ball down the fairway for two hundred yards on a par five and then three putt, we are looking to hear above eight strokes pal. Thankfully he only stayed through the front nine.

I ride mountain bikes and if blade players were to ride a mountain bike they would ride single speed with a rigid fork. Kind of hardcore. If you ride, you know what I'm saying.

Actually from a science analogy perspective, blade players would be on the best mountain bikes for the terrain, bikes with all the needed gears and all the best features for extreme mountain biking. All the other iron types would be the banana seat beach criusers and bikes with training wheels. If you have played blades side by side with CBs for an extensive amount of time, you know what I'm saying.

Registered Bladeocrat

The mountain doesn't care how many gears your bike has. The blade man walks into the jungle armed with nothing but simple, razor sharp knives. Sharp enough to sharpen a Patronize Your Pro golf pencil so that it may then draw the number 65 into the the annals of honest scorecard history. A blade is a weapon that is used by cyclists with one gear and fishermen with no drag. There's no help there, it's just you and the animal. The SGI is like an incredibly powerful taser. It's simply stunning. Er, scratch that last bit.

Says the CB user in the Blade users thread.

Registered Bladeocrat

Edit: I tested the link and it is messed up. Anyway it is a set of Miuraism SB-01s on ebay, 3-PW.

...unicorns for sale.

Registered Bladeocrat