Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Sir Slice,

I owe you a thanks! Your attitude to hitting long irons has helped bring some sanity back to my game. I was shying off them because I was remembering the bad strikes too much and forgetting the decent ones. Standing over a long iron and thinking only of bad strikes doesn't bring about a good result. But standing over it and thinking, "OK, this could be OK" lets me swing at it properly, and by that I mean not babying it but trying to give it a good wallop.

Is it generally considered sacrilege to have a huge hideous mallet putter being a blade user?

Only if it's a Klingon weapon hideous winged murderdeathkill mallet.

Its close

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Is it generally considered sacrilege to have a huge hideous mallet putter being a blade user?

Putting is so vastly different to the rest of the game of golf, I have no problem with this. :)

Caveat: until this season, I'd been largely a confirmed blade putter user, but have put a Craz-E Scottsdale TR in the bag starting this year.

If that makes me an infidel, so be it. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Its close

I think you mistakenly posted a picture of your branding iron. That's OK; you're in Boise, and I'm sure everyone walks the streets brandishing their own particular branding iron.

Now, what about your putter? :taunt:

Sir Slice,

I owe you a thanks! Your attitude to hitting long irons has helped bring some sanity back to my game. I was shying off them because I was remembering the bad strikes too much and forgetting the decent ones. Standing over a long iron and thinking only of bad strikes doesn't bring about a good result. But standing over it and thinking, "OK, this could be OK" lets me swing at it properly, and by that I mean not babying it but trying to give it a good wallop.

NCN,

I am overjoyed that you are having fun with the long irons! I try to make them a part of each round I play although with the resolution of the driver disagreement, it became more difficult to do so. I absolutely love my MP-29 2 iron. That club is near and dear to my heart. It's always there in my bag saying softly, "I am here for you, you can trust me to get back in the game." The one iron is more cocky, like that crazy friend who always has wild ideas. "Come on it's gonna be epic! Let's destroy this ball!...If it doesn't work out you can use the two iron..." A situation where I can possibly use both uber long irons? Let's make this bad decision!

I still refuse to hit them off a tee. It's my personal recipe for disaster.

Woods...Tees. Irons...Turf. Wedges...Sand. Putter...Fringe to green to cup.

Its close

I think you mistakenly posted a picture of your branding iron. That's OK; you're in Boise, and I'm sure everyone walks the streets brandishing their own particular branding iron.

Now, what about your putter? :taunt:

Why cant I use a branding iron as a putter? This is news to me........

Funny story, on of my favorite courses here has an elevation par 3 that over looks a ranch. There is a sign VERY explicit that they will pursue charges if you hit at the cattle :)

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Putting is so vastly different to the rest of the game of golf, I have no problem with this. :)

Caveat: until this season, I'd been largely a confirmed blade putter user, but have put a Craz-E Scottsdale TR in the bag starting this year.

If that makes me an infidel, so be it. LOL

I agree with you. I've been a GI guy for years, using a blade putter most recently and now about to start my season with a big mallet. I really just like a refresh in looks and feel from time to time. Looking at my last four putters, I see an Anser style, a midsized mallet, an 8802 style and a big mallet. Unlike the rest of my clubs, none of them are particularly high launching. Ha ha.

I have no clue and couldn't give a rat's Word not allowed whether or not it is sacrelige, but FWIW I use a Piretti Bosa mallet and also game an Odyssey Tri-Hot #1 mallet. And I am an exclusive and shameless blade user.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I have many sets of irons (SGI, GI, blade) and many different shapes of putters. Seeing as I don't play competitively (save for low money matches) it's just another excuse to purchase golf equipment. They all possess endearing qualities.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

My experience with blade putters (8813) mirrors my experience with blades irons but only more extreme. With bladed irons my best rounds are much better than with players CBs and my worst round are slightly worse. However, with the 8813 my best putting rounds (23 putts) are so much better than any other putter (26 putts). The flip side is that my bad putting rounds with the 8813 can be 40+ whereas with an Anser-style putter they are rarely over 36 putts. I hole far more longer putts with the 8813, but miss a lot of three footers and less.

I spent a season logging all of my putts with 9 different putters and worked out that I was more consistent with an Anser-style than any other, although nothing comes close to the feel of the 8813.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

My experience with blade putters (8813) mirrors my experience with blades irons but only more extreme. With bladed irons my best rounds are much better than with players CBs and my worst round are slightly worse. However, with the 8813 my best putting rounds (23 putts) are so much better than any other putter (26 putts). The flip side is that my bad putting rounds with the 8813 can be 40+ whereas with an Anser-style putter they are rarely over 36 putts. I hole far more longer putts with the 8813, but miss a lot of three footers and less.

I spent a season logging all of my putts with 9 different putters and worked out that I was more consistent with an Anser-style than any other, although nothing comes close to the feel of the 8813.

How many greens you hitting in your 23 putt rounds? :-P

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

How many greens you hitting in your 23 putt rounds? :-P

Only the 6 on that occasion, 12 pars, 5 bogeys and a triple....in my defence, our greens are very small and I wasn't missing by much ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Figured y'all might appreciate this. Played a vintage match with a buddy Sunday morning. I played my Hogan sunburst medallions 1-E and a Sure out Sand wedge. 1 and 3 Bert Dargie woods and my Acushnet heel shafted bullseye.

My buddy had some Arnold Palmer somethin or other but on the first green he pulls out an Original 8802 and I mean original. Original leather wrap grip, Head Speed shaft (I think that was the label) and a beautiful condition (small nicks and such) Head.

I was gobsmacked at the feel and overall appearance. Knucklehead didn't have a cover for it. I didn't say anything to him about the rarity or value. Ignorance is bliss....

I did the unthinkable today and spent an hour and half just chipping. I learned a whole lot in that time. Chipping has always been a weakness. I have a hard time with control up close. It's much more than pick a club and full swing cleanly. I was experimenting with angles of attack, swing force, and finishing. I figured out how to make the ball jump about three feet and roll and also how to make it go much higher and drop and dribble. I'm working on aim and consistency and I actually holed one chip today. I also bladed a few...LOL...Okay more like a dozen. I did however spend a good deal of the afternoon with one club an old Vokey 200 52° and I am almost deadly with it. The race is on to improve my game by Easter to under 100. If I can fix my drives and chipping just a bit, I will shatter it.

I used to consider my short game pretty decent. And that came with lots of time practicing to develop touch. It's good to practice at a nice facility, but I'd also recommend taking a club to a field or someplace where you can mess around and hit shots you might be too embarrassed to try or might be to dangerous.

I stepped away from the game for a few years between 2006 and 2011. Didn't touch a club at all other than going to golf simulators the odd time (in Korea).

After a summer of practicing my short game (at a little 18 hole par three with holes no longer than 130) I was back playing some of the best golf of my life - knowing my wedges gave me confidence through the bag. That's why Zach Johnson is a major champion.

Sadly, while short game is the key to my game, it's always the first aspect to go and then last to come back. When I lose that touch and I try to go play it's the most disappointing thing. As great as it is to know you can make a tough pitch or even chip one in before you've taken the club back, it's twice as bitter to know you just don't have it. It's surely akin to being cucked, to use the parlance of our times.

It's akin to bashing the ball to a certain point and then hitting a wall where you cannot decisively get closer to the hole. This I understand too well. I watched an old guy chip today and then mimicked him until I got it to work for me. I'm beginning to become self aware and understand how little changes make big differences.

Why cant I use a branding iron as a putter? This is news to me........

Funny story, on of my favorite courses here has an elevation par 3 that over looks a ranch. There is a sign VERY explicit that they will pursue charges if you hit at the cattle :)

Hit AT the cattle? Me? Why, no sir, I assure you it was an accident, and the fact that I happen to have a butcher's knife and meat cleaver in my bag is a mere coincidence....

On some courses around here, it's not uncommon to see a few deer. I think there is something to say for combining golf and hunting. Making a birdie gives you a shot at one of the deer.

Sir Slice,

NCN,

I am overjoyed that you are having fun with the long irons! I try to make them a part of each round I play although with the resolution of the driver disagreement, it became more difficult to do so. I absolutely love my MP-29 2 iron. That club is near and dear to my heart. It's always there in my bag saying softly, "I am here for you, you can trust me to get back in the game." The one iron is more cocky, like that crazy friend who always has wild ideas. "Come on it's gonna be epic! Let's destroy this ball!...If it doesn't work out you can use the two iron..." A situation where I can possibly use both uber long irons? Let's make this bad decision!

I still refuse to hit them off a tee. It's my personal recipe for disaster.

Woods...Tees. Irons...Turf. Wedges...Sand. Putter...Fringe to green to cup.

I love hitting long irons, I swear I hit them better than I hit my short irons... It really is just a matter of standing up there and having a proper swipe at the ball, don't be shy just hit it hard.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

I love hitting long irons, I swear I hit them better than I hit my short irons... It really is just a matter of standing up there and having a proper swipe at the ball, don't be shy just hit it hard.

For me the love of long irons came early in my golf journey. The first club I learned to really hit was a cross over 3h which runs about 40". I was taking it out beyond 200 yds and really got excited. When I found the other clubs in this length range I couldn't get enough. I liked the challenge of it and the great reward of swiping the heck out of the ball. To stroll up and whack the ball is the only way. You have to believe.

I used to love them. I used to carry a one and two iron when I was younger. I loved hitting them off the tee, and I loved flushing them off the fairway. When I got back into golf, I still felt up to the challenge. Then I lost confidence in my 4i. I blame the crappy range balls, but I just felt I wasn't getting the distance or height that I needed.

But Sir Slice has inspired me once again. As you both say, it's all about having a proper swipe at the ball. And remembering the good ones.

Post your best long iron shot - for the goodwill and positivity.

I'll start.

6 man playoff to get into the Zone Championship. Juniors. I was about 14-15.

I badly hooked my drive and as I was giving up hope of finding the ball I found it. God, must have been 30 40 yards shorter than the next shortest drive. So I am in the rough, wet stuff, about 230 (and twenty odd years) away and I pull my 3 (and I wish I could say it was a classic blade, but it was PE2) and knock it about 8 feet - I make the putt (the only birdie) and get one of the spots.

I am sure I've played finer longer irons. But, few like that one. And, I got to play the next day at Northview Country Club where they held the Air Canada Open for a year or two.

Played a lighted executive course at about 1 am after a shift waiting tables at Texas Roadhouse.

210 yards, slightly elevated par 3. I had some old Mizuno TPO blades in the car as my emergency trunk set. A bit of helping wind and a 6 iron. Dunked it on the fly, broke the back of the cup and hopped out to the lip, leaving me an inch putt. Never been so pissed and happy at the same time.......

Seemore mFGP2