Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

OK Sloopy, I'll play :)

My best long iron shot is actually two long iron shots. The lone par 5 hole on the back nine at my "home course" is a 495 yd hole. It doglegs left, there's a hazard along the right, and where the hole turns left, there's a hazard interrupting more than half the fairway. It leaves you some fairway to hit, but it's pretty snug; Google Earth says it's 22 yds between the hazards at the choke point.

I hit my Golden Ram 1 iron off the tee. With the firm conditions, it ran out to just short of the hazard, in the rough surrounding said hazard. Had about 225 left, uphill, over another hazard that runs diagonally from left to right like the slash on the keyboard. Ball was sitting up, so I hit the 1 iron for my second, ran it on the green, just missed the eagle putt for tap in birdie.

Image of the last half of the hole below, showing my second shot :)

PA%2015th%20hole_zpszzuxyi3q.png

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Now that I've posted that, I just remembered another long iron of note...

Was playing in the golf league in which I am a sub, we have two scramble events each year, one at the midpoint of the season, one at the end of the season. Food cooked on the grill, teams randomly put together, with an eye towards handicaps, great fun.

I'm the long hitter of my group, which isn't saying much, lol. I snap hook my tee shot on the same #15 I just mentioned. If you look at the image, you'll see a bunker to the left of the cart path; that's the left greenside bunker for the par 3 16th hole. My tee shot wound up in the rough at the back of that green, uphill slope. We had 215 yds to the hole, decided to use my tee shot (ugh). I hit 4 iron (Catchy, it was the Mizuno MS-11 set), on the green to about 8 feet, and we made the eagle putt. Yay us. LOL

I prefer the 1 iron shots, but a 4 iron out of rough on an upslope seems like it should get honorable mention. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Post your best long iron shot - for the goodwill and positivity.-CTS

Well there's a tie so:

Muffed a drive a on a 90 degree dogleg, had 195 left but needed to draw it sharply to reach green. Pulled a 4 iron started it 40 yards right, ball turned corner (125 yards out) and hit the green dead middle, left with a 15 foot putt for birdie. Settled for a tap in par.

There's the 200 yard 4 iron from the rough, needed to aim outside tree line, elevate ball and fade it back over 25-30 yards to catch green. Ball ended up on front of green, 2 putts for a 5 on a 530 yard dogleg.

Troon 1990(?), 17th hole, the long par three (can't remember, but it was over 200 yards). I hit a 2i to the right side of the green, and managed to two putt across the green for a par. It had played as the hardest or second hardest hole of the Open the year before (or was it the same year? I honestly can't remember now), so I was chuffed to get a par. Also had a good birdie chance on the last, and finished par-par-par. Not bad for my handicap at the time (around 14, I think).

One more:

Again, probably around 1989-90, playing in my hometown's junior championship. I was late for my afternoon tee-time (fish and chips for lunch, and the chippy was crowded). Brother manages to get me to the course with minutes to spare and I get to the tee just as they are about to scratch my name. The first hole is a downhill par three, not that long, but as I hadn't warmed up I decided to hit an easy 2i. There's a small crowd of parents and officials on the tee. The other 2 lads tee off and miss the green. I stroll up and smack my 2i pin high about 15 ft from the pin.

Naturally I three-putted for a smooth bogey, but it was a nice shot to hit in front of a bunch of people.

I'll play...

2014 Chambers Bay | Hole 11 | Cally X-Hot Pro 4I | 198yds

On an unusually hot humid day (we started as a foursome, only two of us completed the round) in the PNW, they had the tee back a box, playing it at ~450yds.

Forecaddie says play your tee shot off the outcropping in the middle, so I did, but turned it a touch too much to end up a bit behind a dune on the left of the fairway.

Look over the dune to the green up the hill with a back, rightish-middle pin, and the forecaddie says see that point there, play it to there and the ball will take the bank down to the pin.

Take a line just outside that point, make a swing, contact feels spot on, and the ball makes the tightest of turns to the left, to end up right on that point.

Taking a few steps up the dune, can see the ball land and turn left. Catch up with the forecaddie and he says, that's gotta be stiff (well of course he'd $ay that, ha), as we get closer it looks it. Turns out it ended up 6' left of the flag. 'Simple' straightish putt with a bit of turn to the right and it's a 3 on the scorecard :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Post your best long iron shot - for the goodwill and positivity.

I'll start.

6 man playoff to get into the Zone Championship. Juniors. I was about 14-15.

I badly hooked my drive and as I was giving up hope of finding the ball I found it. God, must have been 30 40 yards shorter than the next shortest drive. So I am in the rough, wet stuff, about 230 (and twenty odd years) away and I pull my 3 (and I wish I could say it was a classic blade, but it was PE2) and knock it about 8 feet - I make the putt (the only birdie) and get one of the spots.

I am sure I've played finer longer irons. But, few like that one. And, I got to play the next day at Northview Country Club where they held the Air Canada Open for a year or two.

18th hole at Wynn Golf Course. My old man got us a round there for my 21st birthday. One heck of a gift. If you have ever played you know that the 18th green has water left and short, with an amazing waterfall background. I had a 4 iron in hand (about 185 out with uphill shot) and was planning on hitting a little draw starting at the safe side of the green to a pin on the left (guarded) side of the green. I think I had hit a bad drive or maybe took iron. Honestly don't remember the first shot on 18. I pured my approach. Absolutely perfect. Drew a little more than I wanted, but a controlled draw. All the sudden, those watching the finishing hole on the balcony started clapping. I got really excited inside, as we couldn't see where the shot landed but it was right on track for the pin. We get up to the green and I have an 18 in putt for a birdie on 18 to finish the round. Landed about 5 feet in front of the pin and must have just missed the cup. What a thrill. Tapped in the birdie (never been that nervous for an 18 in putt...but with the crowd watching I had to putt it out). Got another round of applause from the crowd and tipped my cap after picking up the ball from the bottom of the cup. I'll never forget that shot.

I don't know if this was my finest ever, but a memorable one recently was in front of some WRXers (dan360, Matt J, and spud3) so it stands out in my memory. We were at Langdon Farms, #13 - 170 yard par3, water on the left of the green and short left of it. I had my baby blades that day and dan360 had his mp33s so we were 'representing' for the WRX blade users. Matt J had his beautiful Miura LH CBs and spud3 had his Mizzy player's CBs. Anyway, I am first up on the tee and pull my 4i for the shot. I am nervous because of the water and LOL because I want to hit a good blade shot in front of my WRX buddies. I set up to hit a baby 2-3 yard fade into a 5 mph headwind. I don't know WTF happened at the top of my BS up until impact, but the next thing I feel is that baby bladey blissful solid feel of a pure strike and I see the ball cutting 2-3 yards and tracking almost directly at the pin. It lands short of it a few yards and then bounces past it and runs a little to about 8 ft past the back pin. It was especially gratifying and memorable since nobody else made the GIR following my shot and since it was with a blade long iron. Gawd I love the adrenaline rush when people are watching and you have to pull off a shot or any feat of skill.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Just scored a set of Vapor Pro's with Modus3's for $230. Cant wait to test them against my 690's

Let me know what you think about the Vapor Pro's. I myself have a set of 690.'s and hearing your opinion would be real close to home for me.

Sold the 690..... Swapping the c tapers from them to the Nike and selling the Modus3.

The Vapors are fantastic

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I'm not playing because my game is such that my 1-5 irons are always making incredible shots to make up for poor driving and lack of a reliable wood game.

I think my best shot so far was a three iron at Bay Forest Golf Course in Houston Texas. 80 yard topped driver followed by the most amazing three iron ever. 235 yards of goodness S curved right up the middle in between two sand traps. The hole was completely lost, but that shot was inspiring and I was amazed.

Played these blades since I started the game around 81-82 in order as best I remember. I' go from a 1 - 6 handicap depending on health now and playing time. Finished up last year as a 4 like to get back to 1 again (fought big C last year or more, but WINNING add other nagging injuries may not allow this to happen, but will try my best this year!)

Wilson Staff (grad pops blades my dad gave me to start)

Hogan Apex bought myself 85ish

Mizuno started when I played 29's the 14's back to 29's the 32's(didn't like)

6 sets of TM RAC mb's (onset,2mm,black) and few T stamps

Bridgestone J33b's

2 sets of Miura blades 1-baby blade

Callaway X-Prototypes

Cobra Pro MB

Now Cobra S3's (love these clubs so much I have 3 sets now)!

Have a combo set as well of the Cobra S3's

just picked up a full set of Older Cobra Pro CB's same leads as the Cobra Pro MB's only cb (same year)

PS: Just went back looked at some old pics added some of the other blades I forgot along the way. ( And I'm scolding myself now as I type for. forgetting such great sticks)

PSS: Funny after looking at other recent posts I forgot I picked up a BN set of MP-4's and forgot to put them on the list. Tried them for one mini range session but I'm stuck on these Cobra's Oh well, just another set to add to the list. I'm sure I'll be adding more if my brain ever works properly again. :swoon:

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

I checked eBay for Hogan earlier (as I do most days) and found three mint sets (prob refurbished) starburst, personal and precision hogan blades being listed in Denmark. I could sit and look at those pics all day. Shame they are all priced insanely high... if only I was a bit richer I would treat myself to the lot..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291626866

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291616937

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291614844

I don't know if this was my finest ever, but a memorable one recently was in front of some WRXers (dan360, Matt J, and spud3) so it stands out in my memory. We were at Langdon Farms, #13 - 170 yard par3, water on the left of the green and short left of it. I had my baby blades that day and dan360 had his mp33s so we were 'representing' for the WRX blade users. Matt J had his beautiful Miura LH CBs and spud3 had his Mizzy player's CBs. Anyway, I am first up on the tee and pull my 4i for the shot. I am nervous because of the water and LOL because I want to hit a good blade shot in front of my WRX buddies. I set up to hit a baby 2-3 yard fade into a 5 mph headwind. I don't know WTF happened at the top of my BS up until impact, but the next thing I feel is that baby bladey blissful solid feel of a pure strike and I see the ball cutting 2-3 yards and tracking almost directly at the pin. It lands short of it a few yards and then bounces past it and runs a little to about 8 ft past the back pin. It was especially gratifying and memorable since nobody else made the GIR following my shot and since it was with a blade long iron. Gawd I love the adrenaline rush when people are watching and you have to pull off a shot or any feat of skill.

A fade.

For the life of me I can't recall a great fade I've hit. Occasionally I'll hit a power fade (or a push, or block) with the driver, but long irons, the best of them, are sweeping 5-10 (or more) yard draws.

I checked eBay for Hogan earlier (as I do most days) and found three mint sets (prob refurbished) starburst, personal and precision hogan blades being listed in Denmark. I could sit and look at those pics all day. Shame they are all priced insanely high... if only I was a bit richer I would treat myself to the lot..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291626866

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291616937

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232291614844

What the...man I find Hogan,s at Goodwill all the time

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

A fade.

For the life of me I can't recall a great fade I've hit. Occasionally I'll hit a power fade (or a push, or block) with the driver, but long irons, the best of them, are sweeping 5-10 (or more) yard draws.

I love the fade. It is my preferred shot shape unless there is no option but to draw the ball.

I have a harder time coming up with a good and memorable long iron draw. I have hit some great draws but my issue is that I can't rely on a consistent miss with the shot and I can easily over cook it. I also can double cross miss hit it more often, resulting in a massive slice. So because I can have a two way miss more often, I reserve drawing the ball to days when I am confident in my swing or if the shot demands it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

What kind of grips are you going with? I'm thinking about regripping mine too but they don't need it yet. Debating on midsize or jumbo. I really like the jumbos on my wedge and hybrid. I haven't played with them enough on the MP14 1&2 enough to form an opinion on the long irons.

I'm getting out tomorrow on an aeration special at a course where it's usually expensive for only $25 for cart and 18 with a beer and hotdog included. How about them apples!?! That is super exciting. I'm going to play as smart as I can tomorrow and take the 1&2 out in favor of the hybrid and 3+. I know it's not who I am at heart, but I want to try and break 100. Focused and serious.

A fade.

Me too, though I think "a great fade" could describe the direction my golf game is going as I get older :nea:

What kind of grips are you going with? I'm thinking about regripping mine too but they don't need it yet. Debating on midsize or jumbo. I really like the jumbos on my wedge and hybrid. I haven't played with them enough on the MP14 1&2 enough to form an opinion on the long irons.

I'm getting out tomorrow on an aeration special at a course where it's usually expensive for only $25 for cart and 18 with a beer and hotdog included. How about them apples!?! That is super exciting. I'm going to play as smart as I can tomorrow and take the 1&2 out in favor of the hybrid and 3+. I know it's not who I am at heart, but I want to try and break 100. Focused and serious.

I've used the MCC Midsize for a while now. I like the red white and blue platinum ones. My old man uses Jumbos with 4 wraps!! He's got bigger mits than me though.

Liking the stories guys!

The best long iron shot I've hit along the lines of not being shy and having a proper swipe at it would probably be on the 1st hole at Margate during our Interclub tournament last year, OB left and bush right but not a long par 4. The tee box and halfway house were packed, I had teammates watching me as well as my team captain and club captain, so the banter was flying. My playing partners had teed off and were in play and now it was my turn, 2 iron in hand I walk up to the box to a chorus of "Why are you using the chicken stick?"... Anyway I told myself through the nerves to hit this as hard as I possibly could as that would guarantee a committed swing. Long story short I was last to play from the middle of the fairway and I still get comments about that shot.

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Last to play! Hahaha! That is awesome! I love that feeling where all your buddies are talking trash and then you hit it forever long. My favorite follow on comment after that is, "Why are we stopping here? My ball is up much further than this." You can feel their ears turning red. LMAO

After hacking about and being the worst one out there, it feels good to have the tide change.

Last to play! Hahaha! That is awesome! I love that feeling where all your buddies are talking trash and then you hit it forever long. My favorite follow on comment after that is, "Why are we stopping here? My ball is up much further than this." You can feel their ears turning red. LMAO

After hacking about and being the worst one out there, it feels good to have the tide change.

I should have said this! I feel like I've missed out on an opportunity here... next time for sure :cheesy:

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe