Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

OK so what is the practical limit of strong loft on a long iron? Forget the iron #. What is the limit before you don't get any increase in distance because the loft is too strong?

My BB 2i is 18* and I still get 10 yards longer distance than my 3i at 21*. So I draw my limit at 18*. Does anybody have and sucessfully game a long iron with < 18* loft?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I almost wonder if the lack of stress of needing to put a ball in play allows for a much freer swing. I don't feel stress per say when playing, but it is underlying and ever present.

I've discovered this to be very true. For me I've got run off hesitation, but keep out carelessness and recklessness. Grip it...HARD...And rip it... Smoothly. All I'm thinking is there's the ball and here comes the handle. This is making for long and straight drives. It makes me chuckle how simple and yet complex the whole thing is.

Just bought a set of the Cobra King Pro MB's. This is my first set of blades, coming from an older set of Ping S56's. I'm a low 80's player but I just never could stand the bulkiness of game improvement irons. So far I'm in love with the Cobra's. Fitted with C-Taper 130X shafts they give me a nice ball flight compared to my old moon shot. Again, this is my first set of blades so I don't have a ton to compare to, but if anyone is considering pulling the trigger, DO IT! These irons are great. And the black finish is gorgeous

I just switched from Ping S56's, to the Titleist 716MB's. I am sad I waited this long to get into this style of club head. Not only does it look better at address, it feels better off of the ball and through the turf. They can bite a little bit when I have a brain fart and make a terrible swing. I use that feedback as motivation to groove the swing in a little more each week via practice. I bought the set with the 4 and 5 iron in the CB head, and even they feel amazing on proper contact. I am really impressed with the Titleist irons, with the PX6.5 shafts they really help me control the trajectory of the ball. The S56 irons didn't seem to offer the same level of feedback or control, even though they are great irons.

Just bought a set of the Cobra King Pro MB's. This is my first set of blades, coming from an older set of Ping S56's. I'm a low 80's player but I just never could stand the bulkiness of game improvement irons. So far I'm in love with the Cobra's. Fitted with C-Taper 130X shafts they give me a nice ball flight compared to my old moon shot. Again, this is my first set of blades so I don't have a ton to compare to, but if anyone is considering pulling the trigger, DO IT! These irons are great. And the black finish is gorgeous

You will soon find that despite popular myth, low 80s is plenty good enough to enjoy those cobras!!!

I have been wanting to get a CB set for a while as you all know, but I am really tempted at a set of Masda prototype blades.....Basically my reasoning for passing is because I just don't really want to start Ho'ing irons again, and they have DGS shafts, which is fine, but modus would be enough to push me off the cliff....

Also, the Yamada handmade putter I was stalking sold today for $440. I wasn't going to get it unless I could steal it, and while it is a good deal I guess, I passed past $400. If I spend $400 on a Yamada, it won't be a collection trophy 8802 style, it will be a flowneck like the kamakura or imperial, which is what I really want but wont pay for and never see used.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I have a 1 iron and I don't give a d*** about the wind. I considered trying to get out on deck to hit the one into a fifty knot wind. I couldn't figure out how to keep the ball still long enough to hit it.

Just to give an example of some of the fun with wind you can have in the coasts of the UK, I used to be lucky enough to play the Old Course at St Andrews pretty much whenever I wanted when I was a student. The 17th was always amusing - downwind it was Driver/7 iron, into the wind it was Driver/Driver/7 iron.

In other news, the VR Tour 6 iron is lovely, similar enough to my current blades to practice with, but enough subtle improvements I can see the value in purchasing a set. Even with the wedding going on The Blonde isn't against me spending $300 on a set (I'm in the UK, but all the 2nd hand sets are in the US), so watch this space :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I have said it before and I'll say it again. I have a 1 iron and I don't give a d*** about the wind. I considered trying to get out on deck to hit the one into a fifty knot wind. I couldn't figure out how to keep the ball still long enough to hit it.

Just to give an example of some of the fun with wind you can have in the coasts of the UK, I used to be lucky enough to play the Old Course at St Andrews pretty much whenever I wanted when I was a student. The 17th was always amusing - downwind it was Driver/7 iron, into the wind it was Driver/Driver/7 iron.

Even here in Minnesota, the wind can be fun.

Few years ago, played 9 holes in a rather heavy wind. We played holes 4 through 6 into the wind, and 7 and 8 downwind. #4 is a 500 yd par 5, I went driver, 3w, 5 iron (the last from 150, came up short). #8 is a 482 yd par 5, I hit the green in two with driver/sandwedge. I also drove the ball thru #7 green, a shortish uphill par 4.

Golf is a funny game.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

In other news, the VR Tour 6 iron is lovely, similar enough to my current blades to practice with, but enough subtle improvements I can see the value in purchasing a set. Even with the wedding going on The Blonde isn't against me spending $300 on a set (I'm in the UK, but all the 2nd hand sets are in the US), so watch this space :)

I nearly ended up going there, but I changed subjects and reapplied a year later to a different uni. A friend from school went there; in his own words, he went as a sort of 7 handicap and left as a proper 7. He had a blast and kept gabbing on about the delights of bridies. Not birdies. Think he got his priorities wrong.

Well, bridies do look pretty tasty, but seeing as it's Scotland, they were probably deep-fried.

Took the Mac R58s and Mac MT Tourney Tour forged six irons to the range along with my MP-4s this morning.

Hitting alongside the MP-4s, I found that the R58s is a full club shorter and the Tour Forged is almost as long. This is quite reassuring, because the spec of the R58 6i is identical to the MP4 7i (34*, shaft length 36.74 inches). The Tour Forged is 2* weaker than the MP4 6i (MP4: 30*, 37.25 inches), but has a slightly longer shaft. So no surprises there. The R58s are very easy to hit, and the Precision 6.5 shafts keep the ball honest. I'm looking forward to taking these on the course. The Tour Forged are a lot of fun to hit, and they really reward a good strike. Surprisingly good feel, and the ball fizzes off the face.

That's the thing. Now and again it may be OK, but right now I need a break from that particular course. But I still keep wanting to go back and prove I can post a decent score there...

Also, I have started avoiding ridiculously tight courses since an experience last year. Now, to be fair, my swing was all over the place--it was the day I started snap hooking--but there were also too many holes which went 15-yard wide fairway→5 yard wide rough→OB. Or just fairway→cart path→OB. Those courses are not a lot of fun to play. If it's cheap, that's a different matter, but if I can pay the same amount of money and play a course that doesn't penalize even a slightly off-line tee with OB, then I will play that instead.

They have a thing for OB over here that's just ridiculous. My home course growing up ( a little 9 hole number) had OB down the right side on the first four holes. You could always bail left into the trees and make a score. Here there's just nothing. Just perfect white stakes and all their scorecard darkness. The slightest miscue and it's reload time. On one hand it's aggravating as hell, but on the other, it does force you to be perfect, just let go of any worry about the result... Who am I kidding? It's stupid.

Not hitting fairways and greens is stupid. I know, see I'm a big galoot too. That's what WRX is to me. A bunch of big galoots. Co-starring Kathy Marie and someone named Robin who used to post quite recently. Anyway, I'm a little overworked, overmarinated, and undergolfed, so there it is.

Last night was miserable. I was going to head to the range right after I left the office, but received notice that my package had arrived a day early with my new irons. I scurried home to open up my new set of MP4's with the intention of getting my grips out and having a night getting prepared for the next set. I pull the 3 iron out of the box excitedly and look down on the top line as I waggle the club. Then start thinking. Hmmm. That top line on the 3i doesn't look as sharp as my mp32s. Hmmmm. I don't remember these being this bulky in the shop. I bring the iron up to take a look at the back of the club head and my heart sinks as I see a CAVITY BACK!! I was sent the wrong clubs. MP 54's instead of my MP 4 order. Ugh. Hopefully the eBay seller will expedite the correct order to me. Good news is, I'm getting another two rounds in with the 32s this weekend. I was already starting to have separation anxiety after a solid 7-8 years of play with those irons.

You're not a member of the club yet Kaddy! That's truly annoying. There is nothing in the world like MP-4's... Especially your own MP-4's...That someone isn't expecting you to return after a few shots. Which is why I run head covers and lie about what's in my bag. LOL. Well that's a bummer. Hope you get your clubs quickly. What shafts did you go with?

OK so what is the practical limit of strong loft on a long iron? Forget the iron #. What is the limit before you don't get any increase in distance because the loft is too strong?

My BB 2i is 18* and I still get 10 yards longer distance than my 3i at 21*. So I draw my limit at 18*. Does anybody have and sucessfully game a long iron with < 18* loft?

For me, unless it is really windy I stay with a 22 deg #3, windy, a 19 deg #2 in place of steel shafted #5 wood. I have several #1's, never found it to be practical from a percentage play perspective or from the setup of the course I normally play.

For me, unless it is really windy I stay with a 22 deg #3, windy, a 19 deg #2 in place of steel shafted #5 wood. I have several #1's, never found it to be practical from a percentage play perspective or from the setup of the course I normally play.

Depending upon how crazy you are about the club, I'd say somewhere in the 21° range for most people. I feel like folks that have to go high in the bag are making excuses for lack of preparation. Really you can hit the 3&4i. If I can do it, so can you.

The 18° is not impossible nor is the 15°, but now we are getting into the realm of practicing with the club regularly and honestly the 15° is so picky on lies where it is truly optimal. Most times you are better off pulling the 18° or even 21°.

The madness is levelling off. I still really​ enjoy the 1&2 and am working to perfect the long irons.

Depending upon how crazy you are about the club, I'd say somewhere in the 21° range for most people. I feel like folks that have to go high in the bag are making excuses for lack of preparation. Really you can hit the 3&4i. If I can do it, so can you.

The 18° is not impossible nor is the 15°, but now we are getting into the realm of practicing with the club regularly and honestly the 15° is so picky on lies where it is truly optimal. Most times you are better off pulling the 18° or even 21°.

The madness is levelling off. I still really​ enjoy the 1&2 and am working to perfect the long irons.

I had my Fli Hi bent to 16 degree's in College, but I rarely used it outside a tee shot. That think just ran and ran........now Im a decrepit 32 years old and I think Ill bend it from 18 to 19 soon :)

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I've regularly used 17°, the loft of my Golden Ram 1 irons, but I've never tried going any lower. Not sure going lower would be such a great fit. And, I'm not sure I can get away with playing 17° as I could a half dozen years ago, so I frequently don't carry an iron in that slot these days.

I've been a high trajectory player for most of my golf life, and have a bit of swingspeed in the tank. Generally speaking, you need at least one of those to play the longer irons. :) (emphasis on "generally")

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This is why I've suggested not using a 1 iron if the 2 iron in your set is in the 17° to 18° loft zone. Anything lower is really tough to use as an iron, which is where the fairway woods come in.

Remember Trevino's famous comment about 1 irons? He is/was a low trajectory player. He's got the skill, just doesn't fit his trajectory. ;)

I had my Fli Hi bent to 16 degree's in College, but I rarely used it outside a tee shot. That think just ran and ran........now Im a decrepit 32 years old and I think Ill bend it from 18 to 19 soon :)

Funny boy. Just wait 20 years. We'll all have a laugh, then. :)

I really just need to lose the beer gut. Dont get through the ball like I used to....

today

college days

Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I've regularly used 17°, the loft of my Golden Ram 1 irons, but I've never tried going any lower. Not sure going lower would be such a great fit. And, I'm not sure I can get away with playing 17° as I could a half dozen years ago, so I frequently don't carry an iron in that slot these days.

I've been a high trajectory player for most of my golf life, and have a bit of swingspeed in the tank. Generally speaking, you need at least one of those to play the longer irons. :) (emphasis on "generally")

That's a pretty damn good grasp of reality in regards to ultra long irons. All the stars need to align to really capitalize on such a club. That's probably why that type of club is slowly dying and we are seeing more and more 16° hybrids infiltrating the racks at the store.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

You're not a member of the club yet Kaddy! That's truly annoying. There is nothing in the world like MP-4's... Especially your own MP-4's...That someone isn't expecting you to return after a few shots. Which is why I run head covers and lie about what's in my bag. LOL. Well that's a bummer. Hope you get your clubs quickly. What shafts did you go with?

I went with the Project X 6.0's. I had those in my cavity back clubs that I went with during my relapse to CB days. Got fit into them at that point. They are a good middle ground as a S+ shaft but not the X stiff. Can't wait to join the MP4 family. Was hoping they would be in play this weekend. :(

I really just need to lose the beer gut. Dont get through the ball like I used to....

today

college days

love your swing

today

college days

love your swing

Kind of reminds me of my age, and the loss of distance I've experienced over the last 8-9 years. LOL

Starting in 2005, my distance spiked up a bit. In 2008, I'd started playing more often, and I found it spiked up even more. I was hitting the ball cartoonish distances (relatively, lol) that I won't mention here. I found myself hooking the ball with my Golden Rams because the previously fine-for-me shafts were now too soft. It was actually a bit alarming.

I turned 45 that fall, thought it might stick around a bit. Not to be, slowly lost the cartoonish distance over the next season or two, largely never to return. Except for a one month period with my Ping ISI irons during 2015 where I'd briefly found something in my swing, only to see it vanish after 8-10 rounds. <sigh>

Pixl, you can still get it back. They say you're strongest at 30, and as strong at 35 as you are at 25. It might require a wee bit o'work, though, LOL

I can believe it. It sounds like fun hitting your driver off the deck. Those shots are beyond me right now. I'm working on the woods from the deck, but so far there is very little breakthrough. I'm falling back on long irons or a hybrid.

That was about 15 years ago, think I had my 975D, which was a different story off the deck than today's monsters. Wouldn't even consider it with me Covert.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Pixl, you can still get it back. They say you're strongest at 30, and as strong at 35 as you are at 25. It might require a wee bit o'work, though, LOL

All I read there was less beer, not sure how I feel about that :)

Seemore mFGP2 

love your swing

Why thank you

Seemore mFGP2