2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

First evening down with the building find mp33s. No wonder you boys play them. They weren't even close to as hard to hit as I thought and I didn't lose much distance at all. Maybe half a club or closer to a full club and the loft is 2-3° weaker from what I looked up. Hitting a few more fades than I'd like but they've got 6.5 rifles which could've caused that a little. All in all, I foresee myself playing the 33s this weekend unless my lesson tomorrow goes horrid lol

I actually think I hit the long irons better than my apex. Odd

So to explain your long iron conundrum, try this side by side comparison of the long iron mp33 and the most equivalent lofted Apex. Take both clubs and first hold them perfectly vertical and side by side with each other with the faces facing the same way and at the same lie angle. Then find both of their leading edges and set them to the same horizontal height. With both clubs set at this equal leading edge height, next examine their soles. Determine which sole bottom hangs lower than the other. The club with the sole that hangs lower when the leading edges are at the same height will be the club more difficult to hit because that sole will rub into the ground more than the other one. This is just one comparison test and note that the other comparison tests may have different results, so just realize this is only one of many possible reasons that you hit the mp33 long irons better.

Next compare their sole width and overall sole surface area from front to back and heel to toe. Once again, the club with the wider sole and overall greater surface area sole is going to be the club that is harder to hit because again that sole can rub the ground easier than the smaller soled club.

Next compare the two leading edges of the clubs. The club with the more rounded leading edge will be the more difficult to hit, but note that this is a lesser significance issue because the leading edge size and roundedness is much smaller in scale than the sole width.

Also compare how thick each clubface is at the point of impact with the ball. The clubface that is thickest behind the point of impact will produce a more consistent spin and will be the more workable club. Also if there is thickness from heel to toe, then that thickness is like the fat part of a baseball bat and so you can hit a decent shot with the club that has solid mass behind the ball from heel to toe as long as you hit along that thick part.

So I have no idea if any of this aligns with how your mp33s and Apexes actually compare, but it is possible that any one of them can explain why the mp33 long irons are easier to hit and work the ball. Also I am neglecting any differences in shaft between the two clubs but out of all of the above issues, the sole size and roundedness of it may be the biggest issue. And the reason is because the #1 priority for club "forgiveness" is clean ball contact. If you don't contact the ball clean to start, what difference does it make whether or not you hit at the toe or heel of the club? So to me first and foremost is to have clubs that enable clean ball contact and an overall solid face for it.

Completely understand what you're saying. For me, the mp33 was easier to launch and make clean contact as they seem to dig a little better. I can only imagine it will even improve with the S300 shafts I have coming instead of the 6.5 rifles. Without beating a dead horse, I'm really happy that I tried them, but my wife may not be lol. I'm sure this will set me off on a blade buying tantrum just like I do with putters. So to summarize, that makes a set of irons and a gun I've purchased today. If y'all don't hear from me later, my wife has not taken the news well!!

I don't know what your household is like, but being married to a Texan of German lineage…means she doesn't share, and if I buy a gun or golf clubs…I have to get her 'her own' and if it matches, that helps too…FYI…she is gaming Mizuno MP H4 irons…I am about to make her back up to the white tees.

It's expensive…but keeps the peace.

For those worried about losing distance by swinging shorter, there is hope! Sandy Lyle was one of the longest players on Tour at his peak but only just gets past halfway in his backswing:

Look at Rahm as well, hammers the ball

They are very similar swings with a nice, very high finish. Apparently, Seve reckoned that if the Big Five in Europe (Seve, Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam and Langer) were rated on talent, Lyle would be top with Seve second.

Rahm looks to me like he is going to be a superstar...prodigious talent.

Growing up in Scotland in the 1980's Lyle was an absolute hero of mine, and can take a lot of credit for getting me into golf properly after watching him win the Masters in 1988. Still don't think I've seen a better bunker shot under pressure than the one he hit on the 18th.

Got to OWG #2 and won 2 majors basically on talent alone, a fantastically natural swing, and the ability to smack a 1 iron further than anyone I've ever seen (even Koepka with his 2 iron). He started thinking about what he was doing, and it all went horribly wrong. Sad, but what a swing.

Wasn't it his putting that went wrong first? I seem to recall that he got a bad case of the yips in the early Nineties, or even late eighties.

But, yeah, he could hammer the ball.

I think that was in the season of 1989 - the yips were just one of many things he suffered from. Good write up below

http://that1980ssportsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/1989-decline-of-sandy-lyle.html

Unsurpisingly he turned fairly bitter in the late 1990's and an unfortunate argument with Colin Montgomerie (who could start an argument in an empty room), meant he never made Ruder Cup captain either.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

Fishing is where it`s at. Lucky to grow up next to the Fraser river and partake whenever I get the chance. My father is from the prairies and we used to go to a place called Jan Lake half way up Saskatchewan, in basically the middle of nowhere. Some of the best fishing in the world.

Catchy, I had to grab another set of the R58s. These have the 6.5s, which fit my swing much better. My other set is going on the block, but I pulled one out of the box and I have to say that they are such a pretty set. And, the time I took them out with Hogan Redlines they were just as good shot for shot, even with an ill-matched shaft. You still holding on to yours?

Yep, still got them. They're not that long, but they're straight. I think it's the FM 6.5 shafts that do it. Honestly, I think 6.0 would be perfect for me, but the 6.5s are fine.

So I just bid on a driver, screw it. Epic sounds great, but I shouldn't be wielding a $150 driver let alone a $500 one, especially when I can't hit the nice one I have. I landed on a Shingo model onoff 358 something or other, with a labospec shaft that I think plays for more of a tempo swing which may not be me but I want it to be, it was $220 and looked clean and I didn't deserve to get the roddio I wanted so this is close enough and we shall see if I am only bidder.

turtsoup

This may be a bit of an odd question, but which hobby is more expensive, golf or guns (OK, I admit I don't know how much of a gun enthusiast you are).

I mean, golf can get pretty expensive just with range time and playing, but throw ho'ing in there and the cost can skyrocket. But with guns, you've got ammo to buy, range time to pay for (no idea of cost here), and guns are pricier than clubs, right?

For comparison, I took up photography when I quit golf for a few years, and I would say that it is easier to spend more on photography than golf if you are pursuing the latest and greatest. I got into old lenses and film cameras for a bit, which is a bit like me now chasing older sets of blades; it's a heck of a lot cheaper and can be just as satisfying to use.

Guns are more expensive…but they also do not depreciate like golf clubs do.

A case in point would be a Colt Python Revolver I bought 25 years ago from an out of work neighbor for $300. The pistol is in pristine condition and I could easily get $2000-$2500 for it.

turtsoup

This may be a bit of an odd question, but which hobby is more expensive, golf or guns (OK, I admit I don't know how much of a gun enthusiast you are).

I mean, golf can get pretty expensive just with range time and playing, but throw ho'ing in there and the cost can skyrocket. But with guns, you've got ammo to buy, range time to pay for (no idea of cost here), and guns are pricier than clubs, right?

For comparison, I took up photography when I quit golf for a few years, and I would say that it is easier to spend more on photography than golf if you are pursuing the latest and greatest. I got into old lenses and film cameras for a bit, which is a bit like me now chasing older sets of blades; it's a heck of a lot cheaper and can be just as satisfying to use.

Guns are more expensive…but they also do not depreciate like golf clubs do.

A case in point would be a Colt Python Revolver I bought 25 years ago from an out of work neighbor for $300. The pistol is in pristine condition and I could easily get $2000-$2500 for it.

I have a colt python 357 as well. I've had offers in excess of 4k for it. It's in prestine condition, the original blueing is solid. Not one I'll ever sell. Rare pistol.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Thoughts on Rory's new TM Proto blades?

Like them a lot more than the Cally prototypes that was paraded about a few months ago.

He made a good choice.

Interesting that he made his equipment choices around the ball...played the TP5 myself last week and found that I could almost make it smile like an old balata thinning it out of a bunker...at least he doesn't have to pay for them. :-). Disappointed that his blades only go 5-9 iron.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Awesome.....whatever....I don't even care, like I can't hit a drive to save my life, Maybe when I can hit 5 fairways in a single round I will start looking to fine tune the shaft problems, until then I am pretty unqualified to even be capable of selecting a driver to use in first place LOL.

I have that Labospec 358 driver with stock Hashiri 50-Long shaft myself. If you can snag that for under $300 that's a steal bc only 358 pcs were made. It recently went head to head against a Cally XR16 SZ and held its own. I had to give a slight nod to the XR16 SZ bc of its adjustability though. Nevertheless the 358 is a nice JDM driver

If you like smaller sub-400cc heads, look at S-Yard T.388 (glued hosel).

Also look at the 2014 Yamaha RMX Tourmodel adjustable driver too.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

That is exactly what I got with the hashiri 60. Happy to hear that it is a good driver.

I normally research crap out of stuff, this one looked good to me, sorta classic lines, read it was soft and setup pro style with not being closed and The price of $230 seemed good enough, apparently it is better than I thought and I did like that only. 358 were made or whatever. I just got shingo onoff wedges that I did a lot of mulling on so I am going full shingo for my areas of weakness.

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

That trough/groove down the middle is technically pointless, although I'll bet it will be marketed as an "innovation". Great blade regardless.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

9880efc2406481cd287a6dd90a89cd71.jpg

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

Seems like the silly season at Taylormade is over.........nice sticks along with the P750/770 line is showing they have their game back.

I've been told the P750/770 line are very very nice sticks as well. They are certainly nabbing a bunch of the top pros with high performing drivers, and now adding competitive irons to the wedges that perform as well. I've been a TM fanboy on the driver/wood side since the R540, and still play my Rocketballz 3 wood (though that is getting replaced this year with an M1). The irons and wedges were never even in the midst of the conversation (minus my relapse to thinking the r11's would be better than a blade, but I digress). Tons of guys are LOVING the spider putter as well.

TM currently has the 1, 2, 3, 6, 8 players in the world. Half of the top 10 players are using their clubs.

Like them a lot more than the Cally prototypes that was paraded about a few months ago.

He made a good choice.

Interesting that he made his equipment choices around the ball...played the TP5 myself last week and found that I could almost make it smile like an old balata thinning it out of a bunker...at least he doesn't have to pay for them. :-). Disappointed that his blades only go 5-9 iron.

I was until I read Taylormade have made him a 1 iron, which balances things out a bit.

I must admit, from a looks perspective, my (entirely unbiased) eye preferred his old ones (the Nikes, not the Callaway), but will be interested to have a try of some when they make general release.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I've been told the P750/770 line are very very nice sticks as well. They are certainly nabbing a bunch of the top pros with high performing drivers, and now adding competitive irons to the wedges that perform as well. I've been a TM fanboy on the driver/wood side since the R540, and still play my Rocketballz 3 wood (though that is getting replaced this year with an M1). The irons and wedges were never even in the midst of the conversation (minus my relapse to thinking the r11's would be better than a blade, but I digress). Tons of guys are LOVING the spider putter as well.

TM currently has the 1, 2, 3, 6, 8 players in the world. Half of the top 10 players are using their clubs.

Always a fan of their metals and am currently using the R510. Played the RAC MB TP's for a long time. Real nice club. Good to see them get back to what they were a time ago before doofus and the 15" cup that he was touting to make golf "more fun".

He made a good choice.

I was until I read Taylormade have made him a 1 iron, which balances things out a bit.

I must admit, from a looks perspective, my (entirely unbiased) eye preferred his old ones (the Nikes, not the Callaway), but will be interested to have a try of some when they make general release.

I play consistently with one of Taylormade's staff amateurs, and he tells me that the ball is by far the best ball he has ever played. He's about 10 yards longer with the TP5x off the tee, and the thing spins well. Says the cover stays intact well. He gave me a sleeve to try out...might be my next ball as I am running out of Nike handouts :).

Always a fan of their metals and am currently using the R510. Played the RAC MB TP's for a long time. Real nice club. Good to see them get back to what they were a time ago before doofus and the 15" cup that he was touting to make golf "more fun".

Those RAC Irons were nice. Had a friend get those off craigslist for $50 about 2 years ago, and they were pure. Been really interesting watching these Nike staffers make their choices. Love seeing how many of them are gaming Mizuno irons while they look for their next contract. To me, what they chose to play when the money is not involved is a testament to the best clubs out there. Lots of TM woods, lots of Mizuno irons, and like it or not, lots of Scotty putters were immediately put into the bag when Nike released their staffers to make their own choices on equipment.

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

That trough/groove down the middle is technically pointless, although I'll bet it will be marketed as an "innovation". Great blade regardless.

The slot is for the new Taylormade dual polymer hot melt to adjust swing weight. Taylormade sells the polymer and hotmelt gun separately, the milled slot is to act as an adhesive backing for the dual polymer to bond with the steel. The polymer actually requires a 700° process temp to apply which is significantly hotter than your typical hot melt gun. I'm told the hot melt will add aesthetic pleasure to their irons as well because they make them in different colors. It's taylormades answer to PXG's static perimeter weighting. I read about it a little bit on ifos.com about this.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

The slot is for the new Taylormade dual polymer hot melt to adjust swing weight. Taylormade sells the polymer and hotmelt gun separately, the milled slot is to act as an adhesive backing for the dual polymer to bond with the steel. The polymer actually requires a 700° process temp to apply which is significantly hotter than your typical hot melt gun. I'm told the hot melt will add aesthetic pleasure to their irons as well because they make them in different colors. It's taylormades answer to PXG's static perimeter weighting. I read about it a little bit on ifos.com about this.

Hah!, they lost me on the colored polymers thing.

What is with modern clubs and plastics?

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

Hah!, they lost me on the colored polymers thing.

What is with modern clubs and plastics?

I learned on a Fisher Price plastic club...maybe that's next up for the manufacturers :).

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

LOL like I said...a pointless "innovation". You can adjust SW in other ways. BUT...

"Oh, the COLORS..." (flashback to Woodstock)

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

You have a link for that? I'd like to read it myself and ifos.com does not seem related in any way I could find.

Thanks!