2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Hey joe chum, the two fanciest (as in exclusive and not easily playable by the common man) tracks I ever played were The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe CA and Manila Southwoods CC in the Philippines. Talk about immaculate conditions! I have played some really nice public access courses, but man a super expensive CC track takes things to another level. Greens just perfect and fairways that feel like you are standing on a lush carpet and that you can take really easy divots out of. It is "pampered" golf from a playability standpoint. LOL when you play a posh course you can never blame the course for bad conditions...it's all on YOU!

The funny thing is that they let me and my boss walk in off the street and play. We got lost on the way to the course (Doha traffic and construction is absolutely bonkers), so we missed our tee time by 45 minutes, but it was about 3 weeks ago, so here in Qatar that means it was about 105 degrees :) We let a single and a pair play through. Other than that, we didn't see any other players on the whole course, only greenskeepers. You could tell that the course was starting to suffer due to the heat and sun out here, but it was still in amazing shape. I shot an 88 after not touching a club for over 6 months. Could have been much better if I didn't keep putting 6 ft passed the hole. The greens were way too quick for me.

Yeah the perfect and crazy fast greens are usually what stand out the most at those courses. Reading them and trusting the roll is much easier when the surface is as perfect as can be. I love putting on fast and true greens.

LOL "only" 105F? That is a desert cool breeze temp! And an 88 is a nice score having not played much.

At Manila Southwoods I had my own caddie which was a first for me. She was a cute Filipina too! She even accompanied me to range, set each ball up for me, and learned my yardages as I warmed up. Out on the course I didn't even have to think about the club to use. I did anyway because I'm OCD like that, but seriously she knew exactly what club I needed for every shot. Man it was nice to feel like a 1%er for a while!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Little Filipina? That was a he/she buddy. Did it show brain when it leaned down to tee your nut up? :D

ROFLMAO. Very well played. On that note, I can take you to a popular nightclub in Manila that is entirely staffed with transgender "FilipinAs" and most tourists wouldn't know the difference.

She was legit. Not a tea bag in sight. Plus, I only dig white girls (my wife is white), so it doesn't matter.

Registered Bladeocrat

OK, since there are a bunch of blade guys in here, help me out here. I currently play Apex CF16 and fluctuate between a 3-4hc (had it -3 into 16 last night and blew up uhhhh). I'm looking at a set of Z945s for more of a challenge and to force myself into better ball striking. Obviously I'm going to lose a little bit of yardage over the hulked out lofts of the apex but what else am i looking at from messing around with this? Im looking to pick up some more workability, accuracy, better ball flight, cut through the rough better and just overall forcing myself to hit center. Thoughts?

A couple plus/minus things.

Pluses:

Better feed back on strike quality, clubs tend to be more Pavlovian way to groove swing, good is better, bad is worse.

More control of flight and directional spin.Rescue shots knock downs or getting fancy with fades and draws are easier to pull off especially on the course.

Easier play from rough. Cutting through thick stuff without closing face is easier

Minuses:

Miss hits will be shorter which is not always terrible as far that goes save for water carries.

If you miss on the toe or go fat a lot, things can get painful, over time miss will graduate to heel side and thins ( you are probably already there considering your cap).

Other:

Blades tend to be heavier and tend to have a D2 swing weight, which may or may not effect things for you.

If you are looking to improve overall striking, in time it should prove to be good way to go. If you looking to drop your index in a month, it's probably not.

Little Filipina? That was a he/she buddy. Did it show brain when it leaned down to tee your nut up? :D

ROFLMAO. Very well played. On that note, I can take you to a popular nightclub in Manila that is entirely staffed with transgender "FilipinAs" and most tourists wouldn't know the difference.

She was legit. Not a tea bag in sight. Plus, I only dig white girls (my wife is white), so it doesn't matter.

I knew three Western Lotharios* who went to the Philippines one happy time and picked up three gorgeous girls at a bar. They took them back to their hotel in a taxi. As they were getting out, the taxi driver quietly said to one of them, "you do know those are ladyboys**, don't you?"

Ruh-oh.

So one Lothario asked them flat out. "You didn't know?" was the answer.

The Lotharios paid for the ladies' taxi ride back to the bar.

Or so they said.

*These were three western lads who thought they were the bees knees in Japan. But no, I was not one of them

**Why does my computer's spellcheck accept "ladyboy" but not "Lothario"?

Hey joe chum, the two fanciest (as in exclusive and not easily playable by the common man) tracks I ever played were The Farms Golf Club in Rancho Santa Fe CA and Manila Southwoods CC in the Philippines. Talk about immaculate conditions! I have played some really nice public access courses, but man a super expensive CC track takes things to another level. Greens just perfect and fairways that feel like you are standing on a lush carpet and that you can take really easy divots out of. It is "pampered" golf from a playability standpoint. LOL when you play a posh course you can never blame the course for bad conditions...it's all on YOU!

The funny thing is that they let me and my boss walk in off the street and play. We got lost on the way to the course (Doha traffic and construction is absolutely bonkers), so we missed our tee time by 45 minutes, but it was about 3 weeks ago, so here in Qatar that means it was about 105 degrees :) We let a single and a pair play through. Other than that, we didn't see any other players on the whole course, only greenskeepers. You could tell that the course was starting to suffer due to the heat and sun out here, but it was still in amazing shape. I shot an 88 after not touching a club for over 6 months. Could have been much better if I didn't keep putting 6 ft passed the hole. The greens were way too quick for me.

Yeah the perfect and crazy fast greens are usually what stand out the most at those courses. Reading them and trusting the roll is much easier when the surface is as perfect as can be. I love putting on fast and true greens.

LOL "only" 105F? That is a desert cool breeze temp! And an 88 is a nice score having not played much.

At Manila Southwoods I had my own caddie which was a first for me. She was a cute Filipina too! She even accompanied me to range, set each ball up for me, and learned my yardages as I warmed up. Out on the course I didn't even have to think about the club to use. I did anyway because I'm OCD like that, but seriously she knew exactly what club I needed for every shot. Man it was nice to feel like a 1%er for a while!

They rolled very true and smooth. I just kept reading them wrong and then hitting it too hard :) We didn't have caddies. We had a cart and we took our sweet time and took a ton of pictures. Desert courses are just amazing. All of the sand and rocks surrounding the lush, green grass that has no business existing in this part of the world. The backdrop of the Doha skyline was pretty sweet too.

The 105 wasn't too bad. It's steadily getting hotter sooner and peaking at higher temps. But I will only be here for 2.5 more months, so that's a plus. I get to go back to Alaska golf LOL

OK, since there are a bunch of blade guys in here, help me out here. I currently play Apex CF16 and fluctuate between a 3-4hc (had it -3 into 16 last night and blew up uhhhh). I'm looking at a set of Z945s for more of a challenge and to force myself into better ball striking. Obviously I'm going to lose a little bit of yardage over the hulked out lofts of the apex but what else am i looking at from messing around with this? Im looking to pick up some more workability, accuracy, better ball flight, cut through the rough better and just overall forcing myself to hit center. Thoughts?

Pluses:

Better feed back on strike quality, clubs tend to be more Pavlovian way to groove swing, good is better, bad is worse.

More control of flight and directional spin.Rescue shots knock downs or getting fancy with fades and draws are easier to pull off especially on the course.

Easier play from rough. Cutting through thick stuff without closing face is easier

Minuses:

Miss hits will be shorter which is not always terrible as far that goes save for water carries.

If you miss on the toe or go fat a lot, things can get painful, over time miss will graduate to heel side and thins ( you are probably already there considering your cap).

Other:

Blades tend to be heavier and tend to have a D2 swing weight, which may or may not effect things for you.

If you are looking to improve overall striking, in time it should prove to be good way to go. If you looking to drop your index in a month, it's probably not.

Awesome, thank you for the reply and insight. Oh i definitely know this move would in no way lower my HC nor would i expect it to. I want to improve my ball striking and enjoyment of the game. Plus it will give me a strong want/need to practice and beat range balls more than i already do lol

I knew three Western Lotharios* who went to the Philippines one happy time and picked up three gorgeous girls at a bar. They took them back to their hotel in a taxi. As they were getting out, the taxi driver quietly said to one of them, "you do know those are ladyboys**, don't you?"

Ruh-oh.

So one Lothario asked them flat out. "You didn't know?" was the answer.

The Lotharios paid for the ladies' taxi ride back to the bar.

Or so they said.

*These were three western lads who thought they were the bees knees in Japan. But no, I was not one of them

**Why does my computer's spellcheck accept "ladyboy" but not "Lothario"?

LMAO that is funny but really not that uncommon. The taxi driver was being nice by calling it out too. "Is that a longanisa up your dress or are you just glad to see me?"

Registered Bladeocrat

Pluses:

Minuses:

Other:

Awesome, thank you for the reply and insight. Oh i definitely know this move would in no way lower my HC nor would i expect it to. I want to improve my ball striking and enjoyment of the game. Plus it will give me a strong want/need to practice and beat range balls more than i already do lol

I'll add to this as I recently made the switch too. I went from XR Pro's to Mizzy MP-32. On course I have noticed very little distance loss if any. Then again, I'm not hitting the center of the face with more consistency. It really is fun to be able to work the ball, especially out of different lies and hazards. I'm three rounds in with them now, not totally comfortable yet, but already know I made the right move.

Pluses:

Minuses:

Other:

I'll add to this as I recently made the switch too. I went from XR Pro's to Mizzy MP-32. On course I have noticed very little distance loss if any. Then again, I'm not hitting the center of the face with more consistency. It really is fun to be able to work the ball, especially out of different lies and hazards. I'm three rounds in with them now, not totally comfortable yet, but already know I made the right move.

Thats great to know as I'm a little hesitant honestly cause I can definitely still hit some klanks even with my apex lol. Glad to hear you're happy with your decision

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Almost had a hole in one today (still searching for my 1st and doesn't help that the par threes on my home course aren't easy). Playing 218 today. Slightly down hill. Slight breeze. Stiffed a 4 iron baby cut, landed 5 ft short of the stick and rolled to two feet right of the pin. LOVE MY MP4's!!

I'll take a tap in birdie. Won my the game with the buddies today as well!! I love collecting rather than dishing out!

Those sexy beasts will make a righty wanna go lefty. I think Miura does OK for lefties. Their lefty CBs are the best looking CBs out there and these are sweet too.

Bury the cost in the total cost of the new home. When I had to get the wifey's approval for my black boron set, I 'justified' it as just a small fraction of the cost of my new Impreza. No harm in trying...

Registered Bladeocrat

Those sexy beasts will make a righty wanna go lefty. I think Miura does OK for lefties. Their lefty CBs are the best looking CBs out there and these are sweet too.

Bury the cost in the total cost of the new home. When I had to get the wifey's approval for my black boron set, I 'justified' it as just a small fraction of the cost of my new Impreza. No harm in trying...

Well if I didn't just buy a new TV and Surround Sound I might be able to get away with it

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

As long as we're kinda old school on this thread (blades and heavy drivers) the thing that has most surprised me is that I prefer heavyish steel shafts in my irons. I have played most of the mid-high iron graphite (MCI,Fuji, Steelfiber, etc - none of the real expensive stuff like 7 Dreamers,or even Roddio etc) and I end up liking steel more - and heavier steel that is stiffer than I should use. I'm going to try some Modus 105 S in next set. Steel just feels more alive and so far I have not had any elbow issues.

I'm going to end up with 5 sets of irons - pure blades (next set), easy blades (Shinigawa, Macgregor vfoils), players CB (Mizzy MP 59) and CB (Honma v's).

Then if I get a 6th, someone please call the paramedics because my wife will go Elin Woods on me.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Who wants to buy me a belated birthday/moving into a new house gift

http://www.ebay.com/...xIAAOSwpkFY8gXe

I think the Impreza took the mantle of geekiest car name from the still high resale Passat. Passat was the best because it was the worst. I'll pass on the Passat, even though it's as impressive as an Impreza.

I think the Impreza took the mantle of geekiest car name from the still high resale Passat. Passat was the best because it was the worst. I'll pass on the Passat, even though it's as impressive as an Impreza.

But would you go with a Yugo?

Registered Bladeocrat

Well. I didnt get to take my Masdas out. Too many issues at work commissioning new projects. It hurt to call my golf partners up and bail. My work/life balance is sh°t. I'm not going to delve into that area of my life, this forum is about blades. So, that being said, on my way home from work I was getting close to my exit, only to see 6 lanes of break lights. Great. So I bail on an early exit and meander through some side streets. I realized where I was as soon as I saw Costco. The PGASS is close :). So I said f*** it. I went in. I was curious about the Ping G stretch. Their new 13° 3+ wood. I remember having their Rapture a few years ago and I had it in a Ping TFC S flex. It was too soft, so I sold it with the intention of buying another one but never did. I loved it off the tee. Pretty much better than any driver I ever had, except I had to hold off and swing it smooth. I could never rip that club like I wanted to and was always left with 250-255 yard tee shots. I'd say it was the only time I could walk on the tee box and work a wood any which way I wanted to as long as I kept the tempo in check and the speed down.

So I sold it and took another lover for the #1 spot. Well, I looked around, interested in the Ping G stretch and very interested in the Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 13° 3+. They didnt have the TEE but they had the Ping. It was ugly and weak. Just about ready to leave, I see it. There it is. A brand new, BRAND NEW, Ping Rapture 13° with an X stiff shaft. Right next to it, a used Rapture in R flex for $88. The new in plastic Rapture had no price sticker on it so I brought it to the front out of curiosity.

Guy at the front counter had nothing to base it off of, so he sold it to me new in plastic at the used units price. Picked up an old member of the family for $88.

I feel vindicated now. Before I left I took it into a bay and ripped 1. Just 1 ball. The LM had it drawing in at 260yards @ 8yds off target. Today was a good day.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

No, but Isuzu.

Japan has a lot of names that sound similiar.

Oyama, Okayama, Okuhida, Omihachiman, over and over and over. My friend thinks I just make up names when I talk about where golf courses. *yama (mountain) *san (also mountain)

For example: I play a crappy little track next to the Yodogawa (river) called Takatsuki Golf club. From the course you can see Osaka, Kyoto and Yamazaki (like the whiskey). To get there I take the Keihan Densha from Shijo Karasuma to Hirakatashi. I walk across the Ohashi (bridge) over the Yodogawa and the course is right there waiting.

NCN, yeah, I think that the fact GP is flirting with or crossing that line is enough to run. I saw same stuff and had same exact thoughts my friend...

Blake, The roddio are only non steel shafts I have hit as lively as steel, that said, anything other than used not worth it, and head to head against Nippon, probably an attrition of minor tradoffs. Modus is just so good. I haven't hit anything like crazy or quadra or obviously 7 dreamers, but I had matrix Ozik programs and the roddios mop the floor with them to me.

Came home to 2 packages from The orient today....a huge box, that made me think wtf, then I realized I bought a new bag(s). Onoff synthetic leather stand bag, 2016 model on hella sale and an onoff club case (the stand one) which are popular in Japan but not at all here, and perfect for my trists to the range with 4 putters, or 4-6 of any combo of clubs for range and chipping. I was just piggybacking on my shipping and totally dig it, the bag is understated and low key, no graphics and the synthetic leather is surprisingly supple and plush LOL. Seriously, really pleased with this as I hated all bags at super store and bought on photos like screw it.

Second package was the Xenon CuNi mini putter. It is now shafted and will be rolling this weekend, I will post pics. This is one of my better grabs. First off, I didn't realize how small it was from pics. Second, steel wool cleaned up the CuNi nice, it is perfect, third, the shaft it takes is a .37, and the fire express is a .355 and I wasn't feeling like a shim or the shaft in general so I threw in a black shaft I had that I ordered a while ago and was wrong, and a Scotty studio design grip, which is the same slick grip style I Love. So I will blackout the dancing Cameron, and this thing is killer. Looks like an absolute hammer. A little fatty. It has the garage feel, it is not cnc perfect, it is industrial badass and I like that vibe. I am worried about long putts with it because it is so small, but I feel like I can put this in the bag and make putts, like it just feels like it will start the ball on line.. Sits phenominal, lie is a bit flat in sensation, but not compared to my masda, which I can game with confidence. Really excited about this.

Never rode in a Yugo but got a ride home once in a Skoda. I can't remember how to spell it. Anyway, the driver had to run through five gears up and down betweeen every single stoplight.Even back then I was automatic so it struck me as a lot of effort to get from A to B.

I could start another thread on work/life balance, it would be more than 400 pages though.....having your own small company is as double edge sword as it gets, for every play at 2:00 and leave work early on a Thursday, there is me at office tomorrow and likely Sunday morning to tighten up pricing a project because I couldn't do it this week because I can only wear so many hats at once. My day is like prioritizing what fires to extinguish and what fires to be stressed about but let burn until tomorrow.

Never rode in a Yugo but got a ride home once in a Skoda. I can't remember how to spell it. Anyway, the driver had to run through five gears up and down betweeen every single stoplight.Even back then I was automatic so it struck me as a lot of effort to get from A to B.

Sounds like a pack of skat instead of a Scat Pack.

Registered Bladeocrat

I'm kinda surprised that Shingawa is not a word Mike Meyers made up while working his body through a Japanese inspired character.

The worst part is typing all those letters. It is a pretty pretentious name!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Big, the discovery of the Modus (120 s in the Honmas) was an eye opener. I suspect the 105s will be even better.

One of the things about having played enough high end jdm stuff is I can now also just see what's good for me and it's not necessarily the priciest. (And I'm going to deliberately forget that $1000 tinge of curiosity about Roddio!)

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Curious as to what percentage of users in this thread prefer driving irons over hybrids/fairway woods. Do you think there is any correlation between the die hard blade user and driving iron users?

I can't stand hybrids. I went through a phase of trying to like them but every side by side hitting session with one and an equivalent wood and/or iron resulted in an extremely underwhelming experience. Nothing was gained by it over the other clubs and it would be yet another different type of club in the bag, so I'm done with hybrids. I also find them ugly too. Not FUGLY like SGI irons ugly, but still ugly. All that said, the Titleist 585h was one I could have gamed OK.

I'm on the fence between blade 3i vs 7w and blade 2i vs 5w. It really doesn't matter but I am tending more and more towards having more blades in the bag. (LOL I can't go wrong based on the science.)

Registered Bladeocrat

Curious as to what percentage of users in this thread prefer driving irons over hybrids/fairway woods. Do you think there is any correlation between the die hard blade user and driving iron users?

I can't stand hybrids. I went through a phase of trying to like them but every side by side hitting session with one and an equivalent wood and/or iron resulted in an extremely underwhelming experience. Nothing was gained by it over the other clubs and it would be yet another different type of club in the bag, so I'm done with hybrids. I also find them ugly too. Not FUGLY like SGI irons ugly, but still ugly. All that said, the Titleist 585h was one I could have gamed OK.

I'm on the fence between blade 3i vs 7w and blade 2i vs 5w. It really doesn't matter but I am tending more and more towards having more blades in the bag. (LOL I can't go wrong based on the science.)

I imagine you're totally against a modern driving iron too, correct? The soles on these clubs are much wider and I'm sure that promotes solid production off a tee, but would not be in line with your theory from the turf.