2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Haha, helts, I was kidding man. That was all absolute BS. Ifos.com is an acronym for (I'm full of s°°°) :).

There's a sucker born every minute. LMAO.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Good one king cat, I was thinking that was pretty cool since I like to tinker with SW, but the website URL did throw me hahaha.

So there is this company in Japan called jean baptiste, which I can only presume is called that because Japanese love French cooking (Or so one would believe from watching years of iron chef in college), probably think making it a religious figure is really cool and edgy, and then they can use crosses and lions and lions with crosses because this all adds up to super cool in Japanese, as evidenced by their love of Piretti putters. This company was really, really, really close to being Jeanne d'Arc. Anyway, I digress that I really considered their putter just to use it and flip it if it was just overpriced meh and I also considered the wedges for a well used pair because they have a screw system for SW in the muscle that is really cool. Found another wedge I considered from Ion sports, giga forged or something, same thing. Now the Baptiste iron sets have screws too I think so you could tweak your sw and mess with them. I am very pro lead tape, I am one of those guys who has a few clubs taped and woods too, but because I am that guy, I love the idea of those but can't believe it doesn't mess with feel.

Thoughts on Rory's new TM Proto blades?

Like them a lot more than the Cally prototypes that was paraded about a few months ago.

He made a good choice.

Interesting that he made his equipment choices around the ball...played the TP5 myself last week and found that I could almost make it smile like an old balata thinning it out of a bunker...at least he doesn't have to pay for them. :-). Disappointed that his blades only go 5-9 iron.

I was until I read Taylormade have made him a 1 iron, which balances things out a bit.

I must admit, from a looks perspective, my (entirely unbiased) eye preferred his old ones (the Nikes, not the Callaway), but will be interested to have a try of some when they make general release.

They look a lot like the Mizzy MP18s that were outed a few weeks ago...which is no bad thing. I agree though the Nikes are very much more aesthetically pleasing.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Like them a lot more than the Cally prototypes that was paraded about a few months ago.

He made a good choice.

Interesting that he made his equipment choices around the ball...played the TP5 myself last week and found that I could almost make it smile like an old balata thinning it out of a bunker...at least he doesn't have to pay for them. :-). Disappointed that his blades only go 5-9 iron.

I was until I read Taylormade have made him a 1 iron, which balances things out a bit.

I must admit, from a looks perspective, my (entirely unbiased) eye preferred his old ones (the Nikes, not the Callaway), but will be interested to have a try of some when they make general release.

I play consistently with one of Taylormade's staff amateurs, and he tells me that the ball is by far the best ball he has ever played. He's about 10 yards longer with the TP5x off the tee, and the thing spins well. Says the cover stays intact well. He gave me a sleeve to try out...might be my next ball as I am running out of Nike handouts :).

Hopefully the TP5x is more durable...I haven't cut a cover with any ball since I stopped using Nike Vr Forged wedges :-) I was genuinely surprised at how scuffed up it was...perhaps it was because I kept it in play for longer than most balls lol

Radius Classic 8

Check out their facebook feed(Websites are officially not trendy anymore), I have to say that I am really digging those Saint Germaine Irons if you scroll down.....and I have to admit, very begrudgingly, that the cross used in the side and long manner they used it with the Saint Germaine name is pretty Fing cool in a perfectly weird and typically confusing japanease way. Anyway, interesting grind on those and I really like the futuristic style. Their clubs are done well.

https://www.facebook.com/jean.baptiste.golf

Drool.

Anybody have insight??

That trough/groove down the middle is technically pointless, although I'll bet it will be marketed as an "innovation". Great blade regardless.

The slot is for the new Taylormade dual polymer hot melt to adjust swing weight. Taylormade sells the polymer and hotmelt gun separately, the milled slot is to act as an adhesive backing for the dual polymer to bond with the steel. The polymer actually requires a 700° process temp to apply which is significantly hotter than your typical hot melt gun. I'm told the hot melt will add aesthetic pleasure to their irons as well because they make them in different colors. It's taylormades answer to PXG's static perimeter weighting. I read about it a little bit on ifos.com about this.

LOL like I said...a pointless "innovation". You can adjust SW in other ways. BUT...

"Oh, the COLORS..." (flashback to Woodstock)

But can you taste them? ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Oh my lord. Just got back from a lesson. I suck lol. I'm still going to put the blades in play but it may hurt for a while

:aikido:

To channel the blades force, you must think positively, young jedi. Think of it that your blades will guide you back to your swing as expeditiously as possible. You can now feel your swing in high definition. Use that to your advantage! Pain is nothing but fear leaving the body.

Registered Bladeocrat

Oh my lord. Just got back from a lesson. I suck lol. I'm still going to put the blades in play but it may hurt for a while

To channel the blades force, you must think positively, young jedi. Think of it that your blades will guide you back to your swing as expeditiously as possible. You can now feel your swing in high definition. Use that to your advantage! Pain is nothing but fear leaving the body.

Lol. It all boils down to me having to get my fat body to get a deeper turn. IT HURTS!!! Lol

Check out their facebook feed(Websites are officially not trendy anymore), I have to say that I am really digging those Saint Germaine Irons if you scroll down.....and I have to admit, very begrudgingly, that the cross used in the side and long manner they used it with the Saint Germaine name is pretty Fing cool in a perfectly weird and typically confusing japanease way. Anyway, interesting grind on those and I really like the futuristic style. Their clubs are done well.

https://www.facebook.com/jean.baptiste.golf

I'm pretty sure Jean Baptiste is under the same umbrella as Kamui Pro. You're paying extra for the bling.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Lol. It all boils down to me having to get my fat body to get a deeper turn. IT HURTS!!! Lol

Hehehehe stop eating so much gourmet food and do your sit-ups then.

Registered Bladeocrat

Hehehehe stop eating so much gourmet food and do your sit-ups then.

Not................Possible

Name is Jeff. Been at a 0 to a +2 the last few years and have always played blades. I recently switched over from my Mizuno mp-64's to 714 Titleist MB's about 4 months ago. Tour issue x-100s in the MBs and 130g c-tapers in the Mp-64's. I have been loving my new set but for me I think the shafts make all the different in the world for my feel between the two! Been thinking of pulling the shafts and switching to see if my workability and feel changes dramatically.

Overall I love the feel of both and being able to work the ball left to right and flight the ball has been the main reason I've stuck with blades my whole life. Any great player can get up and make it happen with any club, however I feel that with blades I can get down after the ball much better and not "slide through impact" like I have with most cavity backs.

Plus I hate thick top lines when I'm at address haha I just can't look at big bulky heads!

https://www.facebook...n.baptiste.golf

I'm pretty sure Jean Baptiste is under the same umbrella as Kamui Pro. You're paying extra for the bling.

Is that right? I've seen some J-B stuff around, but knew nothing about it other than it was very expensive.

He made a good choice.

I play consistently with one of Taylormade's staff amateurs, and he tells me that the ball is by far the best ball he has ever played. He's about 10 yards longer with the TP5x off the tee, and the thing spins well. Says the cover stays intact well. He gave me a sleeve to try out...might be my next ball as I am running out of Nike handouts :).

Was on the WRX testing panel for the TP5. Found the same thing using the TP5 now my golf ball of choice.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Name is Jeff. Been at a 0 to a +2 the last few years and have always played blades. I recently switched over from my Mizuno mp-64's to 714 Titleist MB's about 4 months ago. Tour issue x-100s in the MBs and 130g c-tapers in the Mp-64's. I have been loving my new set but for me I think the shafts make all the different in the world for my feel between the two! Been thinking of pulling the shafts and switching to see if my workability and feel changes dramatically.

Overall I love the feel of both and being able to work the ball left to right and flight the ball has been the main reason I've stuck with blades my whole life. Any great player can get up and make it happen with any club, however I feel that with blades I can get down after the ball much better and not "slide through impact" like I have with most cavity backs.

Plus I hate thick top lines when I'm at address haha I just can't look at big bulky heads!

Hi Jeff, welcome to the party. :)

A fair difference between C Taper X and DGX. I wouldn't be surprised if you saw a healthy difference. Seems like CTaper X is stiffer than DGX. The only irritation about switching is if you don't do your own club work, and have to pay someone to pull the shafts from both sets and reassemble.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

so one of my white whales came up for air..... i know i know ..... and swap was struck and the vegas they are a-packin... lol Razr MB back off the bench for the time being... a set of 3-pw ( 3 4 iron in these are super super hard to find) Legacy Black callaway irons ( stenson model ) these with 3 and 4 iron will regularly go for big$....so if i dont fall in love at least i cant loose...I will be able to turn those into something else super nice very easily...... it aint easy being cheesy you know?!..

I know you got rid (or were planning to) as they had too much bounce IIRC, but how was the feel of the LBs?

By pure chance while trying to find some new golf shoes at GG last night, I was walking around the store and went and had a gander at the used clubs section.

To my surprise, they had a set of 2011 Legacy Blacks! I reckon they are just a touch overpriced (as you'd expect in store). I asked one of the guys about knocking $50 off but said they couldn't do, so I left them, still tempted though :)

So how was the very subjective 'feel' of them? I don't need butter, but at least cream cheese would be nice.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Folks, I have a bit of a query I wouldn't mind a little help from my learned friends on the subject of putters. I currently have a Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged putter (Wilson 8802 style), which I purchased in 1996 and has pretty much been in the bag ever since. I absolutely love the thing - feels great, puts a fantastic roll on the ball, and my distance control is spot on with it - pretty much all I am looking for in a putter. It just has one massive flaw - becuase Yonex took it upon themselves to dip it in Chrome after forging, if the sun is at the wrong angle, it reflects straight off the back of the putter into my eyes - less than ideal I'm sure you'll agree. I played a round in the sun on Sunday, I only 3 putted once, and it was the only hole I was blinded on.

Does anyone have any idea on how to stop this without ruining the feel or performance of the putter?

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

https://www.facebook...n.baptiste.golf

Is that right? I've seen some J-B stuff around, but knew nothing about it other than it was very expensive.

Slight correction: Kamui Works, not Kamui Pro. My understanding is "Works" was a spinoff of "Pro", and does mostly custom stuff, while "Pro" is more mainstream than "Works".

See the fine print on the sole of the driver they displayed at the 2016 PGA Merchandise show.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Folks, I have a bit of a query I wouldn't mind a little help from my learned friends on the subject of putters. I currently have a Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged putter (Wilson 8802 style), which I purchased in 1996 and has pretty much been in the bag ever since. I absolutely love the thing - feels great, puts a fantastic roll on the ball, and my distance control is spot on with it - pretty much all I am looking for in a putter. It just has one massive flaw - becuase Yonex took it upon themselves to dip it in Chrome after forging, if the sun is at the wrong angle, it reflects straight off the back of the putter into my eyes - less than ideal I'm sure you'll agree. I played a round in the sun on Sunday, I only 3 putted once, and it was the only hole I was blinded on.

Does anyone have any idea on how to stop this without ruining the feel or performance of the putter?

I would think taking #000 steel wool and polishing it would dull it down to a satin finish. But I would first experiment with an old chromed iron.

I would think taking #000 steel wool and polishing it would dull it down to a satin finish. But I would first experiment with an old chromed iron.

What Nard said. Some light blasting media could also do the trick.

Continental Golf might be able to help you, also, if you're not looking to do it yourself.

You could take it to Golf Alchemy over near Redditch to get it refinished. You may get tempted by one of their Custom Factory putters though...be warned before opening the link!!

http://www.golfalchemy.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=76&products_id=2592&osCsid=28d3cd5fdc04119b9fc97c01e3a7bc79

Radius Classic 8

Looking for opinions. I found a set of MP-67s 5-PW for $85. Also found a set of mp-68s 4-pw for $200. Third option is a set of CG1 Black Pearls for $125. All will be adjusted to the shaft, length and lie I need.

What is the best deal here? I currently hit MP-62s and I have loved them for a long time but the 7-pw grooves are really worn down and I want something a little prettier to look at this go around. Clearly on a budget with this purchase, so please don't recommend 4s or 5s. That is an easy answer, but not one of my options at the moment. Would have started a topic, but I honestly don't want GI and SGI users giving me feedback on clubs they have never really played...

^ Full set of black pearl CG1s..

for only $125?...FTW!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

for only $125?...FTW!!!

Yes! As far as I am concerned, these are all terrific deals. I don't know if I could go wrong... Honestly, I just can't make up my mind. I was hoping someone will tell me why to buy one or the other.

This must be how my wife feels when deciding what she wants to wear in the morning!

for only $125?...FTW!!!

Yes! As far as I am concerned, these are all terrific deals. I don't know if I could go wrong... Honestly, I just can't make up my mind. I was hoping someone will tell me why to buy one or the other.

This must be how my wife feels when deciding what she wants to wear in the morning!

I would never buy a partial blades set, but FWIW I'm OCD like that.

Registered Bladeocrat

for only $125?...FTW!!!

Yes, I understand that logic. But I don’t mind it as I have been wanting to experiment with some different options at the 3 & 4 iron spots any way. I would prefer having the 3-pw, but it is not a detriment to the decision for me.

for only $125?...FTW!!!

Yes, I understand that logic. But I don’t mind it as I have been wanting to experiment with some different options at the 3 & 4 iron spots any way. I would prefer having the 3-pw, but it is not a detriment to the decision for me.

The CG1 is also the "purest" blade out of your litter. You are already playing, for all intents and purposes, "forgiving blades" with your mp62s, so a switch to the mp68s and/or mp67s may not seem all that different when you get down to comparing them to your mp62s. OTOH, CG1s are a true blade and will give you the most contrast to your mp62s.

Oh and LOL if you get them they will have long irons that enable you to prove to yourself the futility of "needing" a combo set...don't be scurred!!!

Registered Bladeocrat