2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Been playing with the MTBs I bought off my buddy, and honestly the more I play the more likely it's going to be that the Snells become my every day ball over my ProV1x. I mean, during the buy 3 get 1 free with free personalization is when I buy my balls. I get 4 dozen there for the price of 6 dozen Snell. That's kinda a no brainer, plus I think I'm hitting the Snell longer and coming in softer off the iron.

If Snell said they would run some personalization on the 6 dozen i would be sold for sure. I still have 2 dozen of my provs remaining but I know what I may be asking for at Christmas.

Getting my first batch tomorrow according to UPS. Unfortunately im playing way too early to test, unless they miraculously show up at about 6:30 am at the door....Santa???

Will post back once I get them. Excited to try as I'm always on the hunt. Favorite so far have been Hex Chrome +, Tour preferred X and Srixon XV

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

[quote name='Jasonic' timestamp='1438398162' post='12057950']
Getting my first batch tomorrow according to UPS. Unfortunately im playing way too early to test, unless they miraculously show up at about 6:30 am at the door....Santa???

Will post back once I get them. Excited to try as I'm always on the hunt. Favorite so far have been Hex Chrome +, Tour preferred X and Srixon XV
[/quote]

When I ordered mine they used UPS Surepost. I assume they did the same with your order. If so, then you'll get them from USPS whenever they normally come.

[quote name='tihata' timestamp='1438477807' post='12061802']
Dean, if I may ask, what makes it difficult to add color to cast urethane balls? I'd like to see an orange version of the MTB ball. There aren't a lot of colored urethane balls out there ( Vice? Srixon?). If the process is that difficult I guess that would explain the relative lack of availability.
[/quote]

That is a great question and have wondered that too. I play a lot of golf by myself and have trouble following the flight of white balls, especially when its overcast. I know it's probably not going to happen but I would love to see these in a high visibility option.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

[quote name='tihata' timestamp='1438477807' post='12061802']
Dean, if I may ask, what makes it difficult to add color to cast urethane balls? I'd like to see an orange version of the MTB ball. There aren't a lot of colored urethane balls out there ( Vice? Srixon?). If the process is that difficult I guess that would explain the relative lack of availability.
[/quote]

He's explained this in detail. If it's not in this thread then it's on his website.

I had a chance to play a round today. I'm not sure if it was my swing but i had one or two go up and lose it against the wind. I didn't notice it for the rest of the round but there were definitely noticeable when it happened. Distance is definitely there off the tee. I hit one in a 370 yard par 4 slightly uphill where i ended up hitting a little half swing punch 60* as my second shot into the green.

Green side spin is unbelievable. Half swing wedge shot, drop spin back. Little flop shot, my playing partners thought it was a little hot, landed hopped back a few inch. Even 5 iron shot from 220 out stuck when it landed.

Putting feel was great. Couldn't guage the roll since the greens were in terrible shape and putts were hopping everywhere.

Durability was similar to other balls that i use. Maybe it's because my wedges have non-conforming grooves but it seems to rough up the ball. Also the snell logo was nearly wiped after two holes.

i lost few sleeves to folks wanting to try them out and few shots driven to the rough :sigh:

I'm going to order some more soon.

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='golf slacker' timestamp='1438486731' post='12062548']
Yea something really has to be done about the logo. I actually don't mind the size or font or anything but the ink comes off very easily. Only 8 left for me after this evening.
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know more about the ink as I've been playing this ball extensively (and reviewing in on WRX) and I haven't had this happen once.

I play these regularly, they are amazing. If they came in yellow it would be my permanent ball.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1438532647' post='12064284']
Yea something really has to be done about the logo. I actually don't mind the size or font or anything but the ink comes off very easily. Only 8 left for me after this evening.
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know more about the ink as I've been playing this ball extensively (and reviewing in on WRX) and I haven't had this happen once.
[/quote]

Does it damage the ball for the logo to come off? I have had this happen to some of mine but it was cosmetic only so I didn't care.

Also, this has happened on a srixon ball as well but to be fair it was a full 4 iron that hit a tree squarely lol.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

No, it doesn't damage the ball, but lets face it, there are two kinds of ink on golf balls, the ink that smears and the ink that's unaffected. The ink smearing is just a funky thing when I go to clean it up. I'm sure they will address this. I'm hoping my first dozen holds out until they do fix the ink thing.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

[quote name='Tab373' timestamp='1438561344' post='12066588']
When are these going to be available in the UK. I'm going to New York on the 18th August til 21st for weekend break where can I pick a dozen up when I visit.
[/quote]

Apparently people are ordering some from the UK but you'd have to contact there customer service to find out the logistics.,
As far as the ink It only happens on a few balls. So far about 1/4 of them have a bit of fading more quickly than other brands. Other than that I like them a lot. Putting in a new order this week.

[quote name='Sef' timestamp='1438554451' post='12066012']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1438532647' post='12064284']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Does it damage the ball for the logo to come off? I have had this happen to some of mine but it was cosmetic only so I didn't care.

Also, this has happened on a srixon ball as well but to be fair it was a full 4 iron that hit a tree squarely lol.
[/quote]

No appreciable change in anything if the logo/print starts to come off...unless you do the whole cart path/tree thing -

[quote name='kvarilek' timestamp='1438565892' post='12067018']
In regards to the ink, I have played several rounds with them including using the same ball for 27 holes and have not had any instances of ink smear/logo wear. That's too bad some people have had that occur but it doesn't sound like it's a consistent problem.
[/quote]

Logo things didn't seem to impact ball performance at all. It looked like the logo was fading same way my ball marking started to fade.

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[quote name='Tab373' timestamp='1438561344' post='12066588']
When are these going to be available in the UK. I'm going to New York on the 18th August til 21st for weekend break where can I pick a dozen up when I visit.
[/quote]

Order them to the place you're going to be staying before you're in the states.

[quote name='Makaer' timestamp='1438600166' post='12068372']
Is there any upcoming plan to ship to the UK? Or any way I can have them shipped? I would be interested in buying maybe 12 dozen to make the shipping worthwhile, and obviously contribute to the shipping cost.
[/quote]
Yes.. email us at [email protected] and we can get you a quote on the shipping to where ever you want them sent.. agree, larger volumes help offset the shipping.. we will shop a few options for you and get the best price. thanks..

I played these for a few rounds in the last couple of weeks. I normally play the ProV1x. I was desperately wanting to like this ball, but I couldn't get past the fact that it spins too much off the driver and longer irons for my swing. I was hitting the ball higher and with more side spin than normal. If it were only a couple of swings I could have written that off, but it was over several rounds. The ball performed well on wedge shots and around the green and the feel was excellent. Shipping was fast and the price is fantastic. Maybe there will be an "X" version of this ball and I'll give it another go.

[/quote]

Maybe this has been solved. I haven't had it happen with any of my latest balls, it was only the first ones so maybe you got an old batch.

[quote name='countach711' timestamp='1438657219' post='12073728']
[/quote]

Maybe this has been solved. I haven't had it happen with any of my latest balls, it was only the first ones so maybe you got an old batch.
[/quote]

+1 I Played 29 holes with one ball before I lost it and the logos did not show the slightest hint of fading or anything. It had Been through tall grass, sand,etc..... Maybe there has been a running change in the paint or formula used? I ordered my balls in th past 2 weeks.

[quote name='coho10' timestamp='1438610971' post='12069106']
I played these for a few rounds in the last couple of weeks. I normally play the ProV1x. I was desperately wanting to like this ball, but I couldn't get past the fact that it spins too much off the driver and longer irons for my swing. I was hitting the ball higher and with more side spin than normal. If it were only a couple of swings I could have written that off, but it was over several rounds. The ball performed well on wedge shots and around the green and the feel was excellent. Shipping was fast and the price is fantastic. Maybe there will be an "X" version of this ball and I'll give it another go.
[/quote]

Not every ball is going to perform the same for every player, but if you're getting a significant amount of additional spin off the driver from the MTB, you're certainly one of the few!

[quote name='knoxville36' timestamp='1438699699' post='12075818']
[quote name='countach711' timestamp='1438657219' post='12073728']
[/quote]

[/quote]

+1 I Played 29 holes with one ball before I lost it and the logos did not show the slightest hint of fading or anything. It had Been through tall grass, sand,etc..... Maybe there has been a running change in the paint or formula used? I ordered my balls in th past 2 weeks.
[/quote]
Yes.. we made a change to the process to improve the ink durability.

I vote for a Snell X version and call it the "Tour Plus"

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

[quote name='Hondabuff' timestamp='1438887361' post='12090950']
I vote for a Snell X version and call it the "Tour Plus"
[/quote]

I've said the same about an MTB X version since my initial review. Now that I've given it some thought though, I've asked myself a number of times, what would I change in the X version? Here are my thoughts on the matter...

I think that the ball flight of the MTB is already very much like an X already. In my case I'm comparing it to the TaylorMade Tour Preferred, Tour Preferred X, Titleist ProV1 X. Generally the X exhibits a higher ball flight on the long irons with slightly less spin. In this case, I'd consider the MTB an "X" version already. I was very happy with the spin of the MTB as well and never felt that it was lacking in that area one bit. Spin was nice and low off the driver for me as well which was a very nice surprise after my initial short game work.

The only performance "issue" that I had with the MTB was the stability in windy conditions. On a calm day, I absolutely loved the ball in every way. When the wind picked up though, I had some issues. I eventually adapted to the effects of crosswinds but headwinds really knocked the ball down, hard. My experience with the TP X was much improved in this area, headwinds especially.

I plan on taking another look at the MTB later this month (after our club championship) because it is possible that I liked the TP X more than the MTB simply as a result of WHEN I reviewed them. I did [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1182536-rebbys-2015-ball-selection-process/"]my ball selection[/url] over the course of a few months so, maybe I was just hitting the ball better when I looked at the TP X? Right now I can't say with absolute certainty but I would like to find out. Assuming that I experience the exact same behavior, the only change that I'd ask for in the next version of the MTB (if there is one) is for more stability in the wind (more "penetrating" ball flight?).

What are your thoughts on the matter? Since you asked for it, what are you looking in an "X" version of the MTB?

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread