2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

I ordered a dozen and they came quickly and loved the personal touch. After playing a few rounds they performed well but felt a bit numb to me compared to my usual V1X or XV balls. Just kind of a dull feeling. I do have all forged irons and wedges aside from my PM grind, so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps with different clubs they'd feel more lively? At any rate I went back to my stash of 2015 V1x. Gave my leftover Snells to a buddy who loves them and will likely reorder.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='MBBG' timestamp='1440041407' post='12174050']
I ordered a dozen and they came quickly and loved the personal touch. After playing a few rounds they performed well but felt a bit numb to me compared to my usual V1X or XV balls. Just kind of a dull feeling. I do have all forged irons and wedges aside from my PM grind, so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps with different clubs they'd feel more lively? At any rate I went back to my stash of 2015 V1x. Gave my leftover Snells to a buddy who loves them and will likely reorder.
[/quote]

I noticed what you are saying. Off Mizzy (forged) irons the feel is not as lively. Off my AP2's they are a bit more but not much. I like a lively ball, firmer I guess, but hands down the ball is excellent all around.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1440094152' post='12177432']
[/quote]

I noticed what you are saying. Off Mizzy (forged) irons the feel is not has lively. Off my AP2's they are a bet more but not much. I like a lively ball, firmer I guess, but hands down the ball is excellent all around.
[/quote]
Thanks for feesback. We are continuing ro work on new products and will certainly keep this feedback in mind.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1440102216' post='12178344']
[/quote]

I noticed what you are saying. Off Mizzy (forged) irons the feel is not has lively. Off my AP2's they are a bet more but not much. I like a lively ball, firmer I guess, but hands down the ball is excellent all around.
[/quote]
Thanks for feesback. We are continuing ro work on new products and will certainly keep this feedback in mind.
[/quote]

Well one thing for sure the ball is better then my grammar/poor typing skills I just noticed LOL Still playing the 2 dozen I bought and very very happy with them.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1440124971' post='12180616']
[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1440102216' post='12178344']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Well one thing for sure the ball is better then my grammar/poor typing skills I just noticed LOL Still playing the 2 dozen I bought and very very happy with them.
[/quote]
Ha Ha.. love it... thats what I get for trying to type using my smartphone.. not too smart.. haha..

I have been using this ball for a couple of months now, and I would like to say other than the nice drives, and wedge play, etc, I really love this ball for putting. I did switch to Aimpoint Express recently, however I can really count on this ball for feel, consistency, reliability, and reproduceability. I am so glad I made this my ball of choice.

Dean, I think the logo is perfect. You might change up the side with the "My Tour Ball" but please don't change the SNELL. I speak for several of my playing partners as well. A guy I play with sometimes plays snell because he doesn't see up close well but can see the Snell logo. Something to think about.

[quote name='left hand low' timestamp='1440466865' post='12202628']
Dean, I think the logo is perfect. You might change up the side with the "My Tour Ball" but please don't change the SNELL. I speak for several of my playing partners as well. A guy I play with sometimes plays snell because he doesn't see up close well but can see the Snell logo. Something to think about.
[/quote]

I like the Snell the way it is too, it just makes a statement. I would just like to see the <My Tour Ball> be something more creative, even if it's just <MTB> or <DS-Tour>

I Like the SNELL the way it is too.
It's easy for me to see and my playing partners
notice it real easy. "Snell? What's that?"
My quote " It's the guy who designed the ball
you are playing for $16 less a Doz.
"Really?".
"Yes. And it's a great ball"
And maybe <-MTB-> ???
Whatever you do I'm playing the ball.
Just picked up two more dozen.
Got one of my golfing partners to try it
and he loves the ball.
So he bought a few doz.

I commented earlier in this thread about moving away from the Snell, but found one in my garage and played it yesterday walking a quick nine at lunch. Not as numb feeling as I had originally thought, just softer than I'm used to. Had my longest drive of the year on the par 4 first albeit downwind a bit. Will continue to test.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Got a dozen 'My tour balls' and have 4 rounds in with them. Thankfully I still have sleeves left :). I really like the ball and will be in on more. One thing I have noticed is that they seem to be less 'spinny' than the Pro V. Could just be me. I do like the feel putting though. I am far from a scratch golfer (13 Hdcp), but I can certainly appreciate the work Snell has done with this ball. I am not a huge fan of the alignment line that says 'My tour ball'. Maybe for another couple bucks Snell could offer customized text there. One thing is for sure, ALL of my buddies know that the Snell ball is mine and it seemed to be talked about every round I have played with them. "Snell", its catchy....

This is my second post about this ball. Almost three months in on using the Snell. At first I mixed it in with my normal stash, but gradually have switched to it full time. This is just a great all around ball. Great consistent distance and spin on all clubs. The more I have played it, the better I like how it feels off of the club face. If you are looking for a new ball- just try it. Don't be a brand ball snob. I would say that this ball can't be beat for the price, but really, there is no better all around ball.

Dean,

A while back you mentioned that if we had some launch monitor data you could help make some suggestions concerning the ball that we're playing. On that note, I got fitted for a new driver a few weeks back and made a number of improvements to my numbers. When I first reviewed the MTB my only concerns about the ball was that I felt that it launched too high off the driver with too much spin. On a calm day, this didn't pose a problem but on windy days, I had problems with distance and control. Anyway, here were the results of my latest fitting, any suggestions?

Ball: TaylorMade Tour Preferred X
Launch: 14.7'
Spin: 2550 rpm
Ball Speed: 164 mph

I plan on putting the MTB back into play after our league finale next week but, I'm curious, what should I expect (at least on paper)?

Thanks!

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1440688714' post='12218126']
Dean,

A while back you mentioned that if we had some launch monitor data you could help make some suggestions concerning the ball that we're playing. On that note, I got fitted for a new driver a few weeks back and made a number of improvements to my numbers. When I first reviewed the MTB my only concerns about the ball was that I felt that it launched too high off the driver with too much spin. On a calm day, this didn't pose a problem but on windy days, I had problems with distance and control. Anyway, here were the results of my latest fitting, any suggestions?

I plan on putting the MTB back into play after our league finale next week but, I'm curious, what should I expect (at least on paper)?

Thanks!
[/quote]
Those numbers actually are not that bad. My rule of thumb has always been 2500 rpm and 12 degree launch.. if your spin is higher than 2500 rpm, then you want you launch lower... and if your spin is lower than 2500 rpm, then you want your launch angle to be higher.. from a pure best case optimal launch, 17 degree launch and 1700 rpm is pretty much ideal, but very hard to get to that since whenever we increase launch, we typically increase spin... if you could lower your spin to 2300 rpm, then the 15 degree launch is real good... if you tweak loft to slightly lower launch, say 14 degree, and lower the spin to 2400, that would also be slightly better.. but we are real close here since you only posted an average of X amount of shots.... I am a huge fan of lower driver spin, and higher launch angle, to optimize the total overall distance... nice job here on your numbers though.. again, only slight decrease in launch with similar spin, or slight decrease in spin with similar launch.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1440702797' post='12219678']
[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1440688714' post='12218126']
Dean,

Thanks!
[/quote]
Those numbers actually are not that bad. My rule of thumb has always been 2500 rpm and 12 degree launch.. if your spin is higher than 2500 rpm, then you want you launch lower... and if your spin is lower than 2500 rpm, then you want your launch angle to be higher.. from a pure best case optimal launch, 17 degree launch and 1700 rpm is pretty much ideal, but very hard to get to that since whenever we increase launch, we typically increase spin... if you could lower your spin to 2300 rpm, then the 15 degree launch is real good... if you tweak loft to slightly lower launch, say 14 degree, and lower the spin to 2400, that would also be slightly better.. but we are real close here since you only posted an average of X amount of shots.... I am a huge fan of lower driver spin, and higher launch angle, to optimize the total overall distance... nice job here on your numbers though.. again, only slight decrease in launch with similar spin, or slight decrease in spin with similar launch.
[/quote]

Thanks for the pointers! I'm looking forward to giving the MTB another try with the new launch conditions. I'm hoping that it will improve things for me even more.

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

[quote name='FloridaCoach' timestamp='1440773599' post='12224022']
Just purchased a "Get Sum" value pack for my high school guys. Will look into the "My Tour Ball" once another promo pops up.

Looking forward to spreading these around the course!
[/quote]
Thanks. We have a value pack for MY TOUR BALL as well. It's everyday special so you don't have to miss it.

[quote name='left hand low' timestamp='1440450415' post='12200900']
Got my 6 dozen today. Nice little note from Dean. Came just in time after I cracked open the last sleeve I had yesterday for the final round of club championship. Shot a 70 with the Snell and finished third!
[/quote]
Thank you and nice playing... 70 and you are third? must be some pretty good players at your course... haha.. thanks again and appreciate the order and support..

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1440945593' post='12233986'][quote name='left hand low' timestamp='1440450415' post='12200900']
Got my 6 dozen today. Nice little note from Dean. Came just in time after I cracked open the last sleeve I had yesterday for the final round of club championship. Shot a 70 with the Snell and finished third!
[/quote]
Thank you and nice playing... 70 and you are third? must be some pretty good players at your course... haha.. thanks again and appreciate the order and support..[/quote]

Shot a 78 with 2 doubles on Saturday to set me back. 3 under won with 1 over being second. Then my 4 over comes in third. I hit the snell too far on those two doubles to put myself in trouble!

I just ordered two dozen more. I'm hoping to put them in play for my club championship next weekend.

I handed out a few balls to friends when I bought my first dozen and I know at least on of them has placed his own order.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='JOHN GOLIA' timestamp='1440503749' post='12204242']
I Like the SNELL the way it is too.
It's easy for me to see and my playing partners
notice it real easy. "Snell? What's that?"
My quote " It's the guy who designed the ball
you are playing for $16 less a Doz.
"Really?".
"Yes. And it's a great ball"
And maybe <-MTB-> ???
Whatever you do I'm playing the ball.
Just picked up two more dozen.
Got one of my golfing partners to try it
and he loves the ball.
So he bought a few doz.
[/quote]
thanks.. we are not going to drastically change the logo... there have been a lot of great comments and we are looking at some samples to help both the size and thickness of the Snell logo, and also the alignment method of the MY TOUR BALL logo... appreciate the feedback.

Can anyone comment on how this ball compares to the Chromesoft? I current game the Chromesoft and love it. Wondering how this one compares at a cheaper price.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

[quote name='RyKnocks' timestamp='1441154639' post='12248242']
Can anyone comment on how this ball compares to the Chromesoft? I current game the Chromesoft and love it. Wondering how this one compares at a cheaper price.
[/quote]

I would say it compares very nicely - It's hard to say anything definitive w/o seeing your swing or knowing what it is about the CS you like, but in my testing, I found the MTB to be as long (if not longer) than the V1x and B330 - but a bit more responsive around the greens...

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1441163828' post='12249168']
[/quote]

I would say it compares very nicely - It's hard to say anything definitive w/o seeing your swing or knowing what it is about the CS you like, but in my testing, I found the MTB to be as long (if not longer) than the V1x and B330 - but a bit more responsive around the greens...
[/quote]

Thank for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered me a box of Snell MTB since I'm on my last sleeve of Chromesofts. If the ball is comparable in feel, distance, and greenside spin, then I'd gladly switch. Especially since the Snell is about 8-9 bucks cheaper. Also, I won't have an issue finding my ball since my other golfing buddies all play the Chromesoft. :D

I'll let you guys know how I like it after a few rounds.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

[quote name='RyKnocks' timestamp='1441171520' post='12249638']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1441163828' post='12249168']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered me a box of Snell MTB since I'm on my last sleeve of Chromesofts. If the ball is comparable in feel, distance, and greenside spin, then I'd gladly switch. Especially since the Snell is about 8-9 bucks cheaper. Also, I won't have an issue finding my ball since my other golfing buddies all play the Chromesoft. :D

I'll let you guys know how I like it after a few rounds.
[/quote]

You won't be disappointed. I'm looking forward to your review.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime