2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

A recent test showed the MTB already spins slightly less than the ProV1x off driver and wedge.

I'm not sure what characteristics I'd want in an X version since it seems to already be a direct competitor to the X in a ball as soft as the regular ProV1.

I think it's almost perfect. Maybe a touch more green side spin, but even there it's strong.

It's such a good all around ball I'd be afraid to change anything (see Precept XV as an example of ruining a great ball).

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

[quote name='DFinch' timestamp='1439030940' post='12100100']
A recent test showed the MTB already spins slightly less than the ProV1x off driver and wedge.

I'm not sure what characteristics I'd want in an X version since it seems to already be a direct competitor to the X in a ball as soft as the regular ProV1X.

I think it's almost perfect. Maybe a touch more green side spin, but even there it's strong.

It's such a good all around ball I'd be afraid to change anything (see Precept XV as an example of ruining a great ball).
[/quote]

Agreed. Not sure exactly what I'd change - You also have to consider the number of pros who play previous versions of a ball - Once you find a great combo for you, there's really not a good reason to change - And for faster SS players, that's typically a combo of low spin off the driver and ideal spin off irons, wedges and around the green -

Those are really the 3 "dials" of golf ball design - and they all have different effects on one another - but the MTB is already super low spin off the driver (not sure how much lower you could/want to go there) - And it already has a great, soft and consistent spin around the greens - Maybe some people need/want slightly different characteristics with different parts of their game, but honestly are any of us that good where we need a prototype ball made exclusively for us?

First round yesterday with "The Snell". Wow really nice off irons, putter and around the greens. My driver swing was WAYYY off for some reason so can't really comment on that. No scuffs before I lost one on 13. Hit a tree and a cart path (like I said....driver) and zero damage. Glad I purchased.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Played another round today. Pretty much same observation as last except for losing it in the wind (not much wind today)

Quite a bit of spin from 40 to 150. I hit one from 40 yards and it spun back 5 ft. Didn't lose the logo this time around but my non-conforming groove wedges are doing some damage to the cover

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]TEE E8 Beta 13* 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist Vokey SM6 50* | SM5 54* | 58*[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

[color=#0000cd][b]Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5* iMix Fubuki Tour 63X[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Titleist 681T 2-PW DGS400[/b][/color]
[b]Odyssey Protype ix #1 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0[/b]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1438572566' post='12067650']
[quote name='Sef' timestamp='1438554451' post='12066012']
[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1438532647' post='12064284']
[quote name='golf slacker' timestamp='1438486731' post='12062548']
Yea something really has to be done about the logo. I actually don't mind the size or font or anything but the ink comes off very easily. Only 8 left for me after this evening.
[/quote]

I'd be interested to know more about the ink as I've been playing this ball extensively (and reviewing in on WRX) and I haven't had this happen once.
[/quote]

Does it damage the ball for the logo to come off? I have had this happen to some of mine but it was cosmetic only so I didn't care.

Also, this has happened on a srixon ball as well but to be fair it was a full 4 iron that hit a tree squarely lol.
[/quote]

No appreciable change in anything if the logo/print starts to come off...unless you do the whole cart path/tree thing -
[/quote]
There is not any change in ball performance if the logo gets smudged or slightly faded.. the logo is stamped over the paint layers, so it is on the top of the surface.. we use ink and paint systems that are very durable, however, sometimes with some specific shots, some will see some ink wear a bit. We have made a change to that process to further improve this ink wear. If you do see slight wear of ink, it will not have any change in the performance of the ball at all..

I would like a firmer feel off the driver/irons and lower flight with the wedges thru 9 iron if that's possible. For me I still get a tighter ball flight off the irons with the Prov1x vs. the MTB. I experience the same ball flight with the normal Prov1 as it seems to have more pronounced curve left or right if I try and work the ball. The X flys straight where as the ProV1 and MTB draw or fade more.The 2015 Prov1x makes a nice click but a solid firm feel vs the MTB that has a Clicky cover but marshmallow feel. It may just be my AP2's that respond really well to a firm ball vs. a soft ball. The softer compression balls don't seem to engage the technology in the iron as much as a firmer ball and I notice the firmer balls launch lower off of my irons and wedges. Looking at the chart comparing the X to the MTB it looks like the X launches higher but has a flatter lower arc and more spin. ideal flight for wedges. I would say I was in the crowd with the 2013 Prov1x where I wanted the ball softer where as the Snell MTB I want it firmer. The MTB is a fantastic ball but every time I hit it I do get the same results as the 2015x but I think its too soft of a feel for my taste. Feel is totally subjective but it is what it is! Maybe a 4 layer MTB ball would do the trick.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

[quote name='Hondabuff' timestamp='1439300168' post='12116072']
I would like a firmer feel off the driver/irons and lower flight with the wedges thru 9 iron if that's possible. For me I still get a tighter ball flight off the irons with the Prov1x vs. the MTB. I experience the same ball flight with the normal Prov1 as it seems to have more pronounced curve left or right if I try and work the ball. The X flys straight where as the ProV1 and MTB draw or fade more.The 2015 Prov1x makes a nice click but a solid firm feel vs the MTB that has a Clicky cover but marshmallow feel. It may just be my AP2's that respond really well to a firm ball vs. a soft ball. The softer compression balls don't seem to engage the technology in the iron as much as a firmer ball and I notice the firmer balls launch lower off of my irons and wedges. Looking at the chart comparing the X to the MTB it looks like the X launches higher but has a flatter lower arc and more spin. ideal flight for wedges. I would say I was in the crowd with the 2013 Prov1x where I wanted the ball softer where as the Snell MTB I want it firmer. The MTB is a fantastic ball but every time I hit it I do get the same results as the 2015x but I think its too soft of a feel for my taste. Feel is totally subjective but it is what it is! Maybe a 4 layer MTB ball would do the trick.
[/quote]

Where is the chart for ball flights comparing the ProV1/V1X to MTB?

[color=#0000cd][b]Taylormade M1 460 8.5* (2016) Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/b][/color]
[color=#0000ff][b]Callaway Razr X MB H Stamp 3-PW [/b][/color][color=#0000ff][b]DGX100[/b][/color]
[color=#b22222][b]Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 34" Super Stroke Slim 3.0 CounterCore[/b][/color]

I really like these balls and have ordered the value pack and will be rolling with these balls. I have 5 rounds under my belt with the first dozen I ordered a couple weeks ago. I have had great results and will be playing these instead of ProV1x's. I gave a sleeve away to a couple buddies and thy have nothing but positive things to say also.

[quote name='knoxville36' timestamp='1439323579' post='12118524']
I really like these balls and have ordered the value pack and will be rolling with these balls. I have 5 rounds under my belt with the first dozen I ordered a couple weeks ago. I have had great results and will be playing these instead of ProV1x's. I gave a sleeve away to a couple buddies and thy have nothing but positive things to say also.
[/quote]
Thank you... appreciate you passing them out and help spreading the word.. These types of buddy to buddy conversations and posts here help spread the word and keep the cost affordable...

Same here I may have to order the value pack and split. Every time i purchase a dozen i end up giving away sleeves after sleeves

Sold my father in law on them. He should be ordering the value pack soon as will I. Great ball

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Played a round with the Snell today. I love the feel of this ball off the putter! Not too firm, not too soft.....but just right.

I wasn't hitting the driver my best today but the ball seem to still get out there pretty good. That may be thanks to the forgiveness of the XR driver more so than the performance of the ball.

Iron shots felt fantastic. It flies a little higher than the XV or Chrome Speed for me, but it doesn't balloon, which is something I can live with.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have played this ball for the last couple of months and love it. Love the ball, love the price.

I did have some smear on a couple of balls, but for the most part nothing to talk about.

I played in one tourney that was alternate shot and my partner said he couldn't hit a ball with 'Snell' on it! Strange as his go to ball is the Tour Preferred!

I like the way the ball flies. I am not much of a spinner, but I have to say these hold as well as Bridgestone which is what I was playing before.

This is my go to ball. I just ordered a value pack which will last me for a long time. Even with handing sleeves out to people willing to try them.

Thanks for thinking of the little guys!

Played another round with MTB and played two holes along with chrome soft. Snell flies higher by a large margin. Green side spin is still sold. One wedge shot spun back about 15ft after hitting the slope

Also the ball durability held up better on wedge shots. Chalk that up to using conforming groove sm vs old sm wedges

I love the green side spin and iron shots but the driver shots are killing me. Ive had quite few holes where it landed and bounced back few inches

On the last par 5 (just over 600 yards). My tee shot carried 295 and bounced back few inches. Second shot with three wood to 50 away from the center of the green going uphill.

Im not saying i would have made the green in two but it would have made it easier with a bit of roll

Read this thread and other reviews, this ball seems like a killer compared to my current Vice Pro balls (which for 30 euros are decent, but still way inferior to Pro V1s), I sent an email to Snell about a value pack of MTB balls, hoping the shipping to France isn't too expensive.

EDIT : As I was replying to the thread, I got a reply to my email and it looks like with shipping when buying a value pack, cost comes to 33.5euros per dozen (or around 35$). That's a 4 euros more than Vice, but still 20 euros cheaper than Pro V1s(or V1x) for France. I'm thinking on it then.

I ordered a dozen My Tour Ball and I have been very impressed. I have played the Z Star XV for the last 2 years the a Pro V1x before that I the Snell is right there with those two in my book. Very good off the tee and still checks up well on the green. I've been giving some of them away to my friends because they all become very interested when they see how well I am hitting them. Seems to be a lower compression than the other 2 balls I played... maybe closer to the B330s. It wouldn't hurt to work on his logo, though. It is kind of big and distracting and after 18 holes it starts to wear off. Not something you see from the big guys like Titleist.

But long story short, I would recommend giving them a try.

WITB:
Ping G425 LST with Tour AD-DI
Nike Vapor Flex 3 and 5 FW with Tour AD-DI
Ping i230 irons with Project X 6.0 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 55*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='mcgrath22' timestamp='1439824767' post='12154450']
I ordered a dozen My Tour Ball and I have been very impressed. I have played the Z Star XV for the last 2 years the a Pro V1x before that I the Snell is right there with those two in my book. Very good off the tee and still checks up well on the green. I've been giving some of them away to my friends because they all become very interested when they see how well I am hitting them. Seems to be a lower compression than the other 2 balls I played... maybe closer to the B330s. It wouldn't hurt to work on his logo, though. It is kind of big and distracting and after 18 holes it starts to wear off. Not something you see from the big guys like Titleist.

[/quote]
Thanks for testing and the feedback.. we are actually in the process of working to reduce the size and thickness of the logo... also, from recommendations here we are also looking into some options on the sidestamp.. maybe add some alignment methods and reduce the name.. stay tuned and thanks for the support..

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1439825789' post='12154548']
[quote name='mcgrath22' timestamp='1439824767' post='12154450']

[/quote]
Thanks for testing and the feedback.. we are actually in the process of working to reduce the size and thickness of the logo... also, from recommendations here we are also looking into some options on the sidestamp.. maybe add some alignment methods and reduce the name.. stay tuned and thanks for the support..
[/quote]

Good idea for these great balls. As for reducing the name, how about <-MTB-[i]DS[/i]-> ?

<----MTB---->

Keep it simple.

How about offering customization in the future, such as custom numbers and player name or message.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1439866140' post='12158858']
<----MTB---->

Keep it simple.

How about offering customization in the future, such as custom numbers and player name or message.
[/quote]
For small quantities it is very expensive and long lead times to make custom numbers... We would like to do this, but at this time we are not set up to handle small volume custom number orders.

[quote name='Jasonic' timestamp='1439073958' post='12102446']
First round yesterday with "The Snell". Wow really nice off irons, putter and around the greens. My driver swing was WAYYY off for some reason so can't really comment on that. No scuffs before I lost one on 13. Hit a tree and a cart path (like I said....driver) and zero damage. Glad I purchased.
[/quote]

I too have hit a few trees and more than a few cart paths with the Snells. Each time I'm surprised at how there's barely a mark or none at all. Not many balls have a cast urethane cover that's as durable.