2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the golf industry and will start off by saying the entire g30 wood range is amongst the best I've ever hit.

I gamed the standard G30 since its release, and recently moved to the ls Tec.

I got myself onto flight scope and tried the ls tec with the stock x flex and tour shaft. Spin numbers lowered roughly 350-400 from the standard head.

The combination I have it on just now is 9 degree of loft with a fujikura rombax 6x07 shaft. This thing is lethal! It just doesn't want to miss fairways.

I have tried every other current driver I can think of from the industries leading brands and only the titleist 915 D3 with the rogue shaft has came close to the numbers I get with the g30 Ls tec

Massive fan!

Taylormade M1 8.5* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Taylormade SLDR tour spec 14* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Titleist 712u 2 + 4 iron w/ project X 6.5
Titleist 716 TMB 3 iron w/ x100
Titleist 716 MB 5-PW w/ x100
50* 54* SM5 chrome vokey both on F grind
Scotty Cameron California Coronado

[quote name='ewlegal' timestamp='1431331717' post='11536514']
-Too much to ignore-

I have been gaming the same driver for the past 3 years (Callaway RZR Fit 8.5 Aldila Trinity 65x) not with out trying to replace it, just have yet to justify spending $300-$500 for 5 yards more distance. I almost considered the SLDR last year, but it was just too unpredictable in direction for me. I went in again this yr and jumped on the Trackman with some tournament winnings burning a hole in my pocket. Granted I was tunnel visioned and had my eyes set on the Alpha DBD and R15.

I am a .7 handi with an average swing speed of 117 and my transition falls under the ex baseball player (compact with a fast initial move). After more than a few swings the numbers were good enough to pull the trigger on the Callaway DBD with the KURO MSI 110 x. Not having the driver and shaft in stock, they let me take the demo for the weekend for a tournament. Long story short...this shaft was not for me. Loved the feel of the head, but the shaft acted like it was completely different on course. After 3 straight hooks I never bothered with it again.

A day later I went back and canceled the DBD order and the fitter handed me the Ping G30 LST with the tour 65 x in a 9.0 head. My #'s had me VERY skeptical (117-118 swing speed, 170 ball speed, 290-300 carry and 310-330 total distance). My launch angle was on the low side so I ordered the 10.5 with the tour 65 x without question since they did not have a 10.5 in stock b/c of damage to the demo.

4 days later I received the club and I hit on a live range where large fir trees line the end of the hitting area at 275 yds. I was bouncing range balls off them 1/3 of the way up the tree. My only gripe thus far was the SOUND. Obnoxiously and Embarrassingly loud. I felt like I had finally found my new gamer, but I would have to hand out ear protection to anyone within 2 holes distance of me. I read up on wrx forums and was steered towards an idea. Instead of yarn or cotton, I cut about 1/8th of a plastic grocery bag and twisted it in the small hole of the weight port right before my first round with the club.

I hit about 8 drives on the range with it and the club sounds completely different and in perception feel has changed for the better as well. It feels even more solid at impact.

On course...this thing is scary lonnnnng. I am usually not lacking in distance off the tee, but this thing is silly. I missed a couple fairways as I became use to the club, but nothing radical. Once I honed it in, I was able to work the ball both ways, but man this thing really wants to go straight. I ended up carding a 69 and this club has a lot to do with it.

I can't say enough good things about this club now. I know honeymoon phases and psychological gimmicks, this club is FAR from it. Bottom line, if you fall into the right swing type, this club is super long if set up properly. It almost feels like cheating when you really catch one. If you take the jump, just buy some ear plugs or take the time to place some sort of material in the head to mute the sound.

Hope this helps a small bit if anyone is on the fence out there.
[/quote]

Thanks for the idea about the plastic bag. I'm guessing you didn't try the yarn method since the plastic bag worked right? I just wanted to know if the yarn gave a different feeling compared to the plastic bag. Do you happen to have a link to the thread were you saw that recommendation. Thanks.

Ping G30 LST 9* Rouge Silver 70
Cobra LTD Fairway Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
Ping Anser 17* TFC 800H
Ping S55 3-PW Modus3 125
Ping Glide 54 SS, 60 ES
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Wide

[quote name='Todai' timestamp='1431360817' post='11538248']
-Too much to ignore-

I have been gaming the same driver for the past 3 years (Callaway RZR Fit 8.5 Aldila Trinity 65x) not with out trying to replace it, just have yet to justify spending $300-$500 for 5 yards more distance. I almost considered the SLDR last year, but it was just too unpredictable in direction for me. I went in again this yr and jumped on the Trackman with some tournament winnings burning a hole in my pocket. Granted I was tunnel visioned and had my eyes set on the Alpha DBD and R15.

I am a .7 handi with an average swing speed of 117 and my transition falls under the ex baseball player (compact with a fast initial move). After more than a few swings the numbers were good enough to pull the trigger on the Callaway DBD with the KURO MSI 110 x. Not having the driver and shaft in stock, they let me take the demo for the weekend for a tournament. Long story short...this shaft was not for me. Loved the feel of the head, but the shaft acted like it was completely different on course. After 3 straight hooks I never bothered with it again.

A day later I went back and canceled the DBD order and the fitter handed me the Ping G30 LST with the tour 65 x in a 9.0 head. My #'s had me VERY skeptical (117-118 swing speed, 170 ball speed, 290-300 carry and 310-330 total distance). My launch angle was on the low side so I ordered the 10.5 with the tour 65 x without question since they did not have a 10.5 in stock b/c of damage to the demo.

4 days later I received the club and I hit on a live range where large fir trees line the end of the hitting area at 275 yds. I was bouncing range balls off them 1/3 of the way up the tree. My only gripe thus far was the SOUND. Obnoxiously and Embarrassingly loud. I felt like I had finally found my new gamer, but I would have to hand out ear protection to anyone within 2 holes distance of me. I read up on wrx forums and was steered towards an idea. Instead of yarn or cotton, I cut about 1/8th of a plastic grocery bag and twisted it in the small hole of the weight port right before my first round with the club.

I hit about 8 drives on the range with it and the club sounds completely different and in perception feel has changed for the better as well. It feels even more solid at impact.

On course...this thing is scary lonnnnng. I am usually not lacking in distance off the tee, but this thing is silly. I missed a couple fairways as I became use to the club, but nothing radical. Once I honed it in, I was able to work the ball both ways, but man this thing really wants to go straight. I ended up carding a 69 and this club has a lot to do with it.

I can't say enough good things about this club now. I know honeymoon phases and psychological gimmicks, this club is FAR from it. Bottom line, if you fall into the right swing type, this club is super long if set up properly. It almost feels like cheating when you really catch one. If you take the jump, just buy some ear plugs or take the time to place some sort of material in the head to mute the sound.

[/quote]

Thanks for the idea about the plastic bag. I'm guessing you didn't try the yarn method since the plastic bag worked right? I just wanted to know if the yarn gave a different feeling compared to the plastic bag. Do you happen to have a link to the thread were you saw that recommendation. Thanks.
[/quote]

I came up with the grocery bag idea on my own. But I give all credit to the cotton ball and yarn posters on here that led me to my solution. Seems odd, but I didn't have any yarn and I had an early tee time set up the next day so I thought about what I had on hand that was light, could fill a void, and provide some disruption in the internal sound. Considering how small the opening is where you have to insert material as well as having to thread the material with the weight screw, I did not want to risk damaging the threads. So once I twisted the bag into a thin rope, I used a small nail to push it inside. Once I got to the end I opened the bag up so it was a flat sheet then threaded the weight back on without trouble or resistance. the weight covers up all parts of the bag and you would never be able to tell from the outside. Also, when you take the weight out, you can just pull the bag out with it.

[quote name='ewlegal' timestamp='1431374549' post='11539782']
-Too much to ignore-

[/quote]

[/quote]

I came up with the grocery bag idea on my own. But I give all credit to the cotton ball and yarn posters on here that led me to my solution. Seems odd, but I didn't have any yarn and I had an early tee time set up the next day so I thought about what I had on hand that was light, could fill a void, and provide some disruption in the internal sound. Considering how small the opening is where you have to insert material as well as having to thread the material with the weight screw, I did not want to risk damaging the threads. So once I twisted the bag into a thin rope, I used a small nail to push it inside. Once I got to the end I opened the bag up so it was a flat sheet then threaded the weight back on without trouble or resistance. the weight covers up all parts of the bag and you would never be able to tell from the outside. Also, when you take the weight out, you can just pull the bag out with it.
[/quote]

Sorry, I don't have a comparison between the two materials. I can tell you it is even quieter than my last driver now.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1431375541' post='11539904']
Anyone having any luck with the G30 fairways?
[/quote]

Have an AD GT 7s being installed in a G30 7 wood right now. Will let you know hot it works out when I get the club back this week. G25 fairway's were so good, hard to imagine they are much better, but always worth a shot.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

-Too much to ignore-

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I actually don't have any yarn in the house either so I just shoved a plastic bag in right now and will test it out later. I wound the plastic pretty tight and don't know if it expanded once I put it in. Did you just loosely wind it up? I guess I'll find out when I hit it later. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Ping Anser 17* TFC 800H
Ping S55 3-PW Modus3 125
Ping Glide 54 SS, 60 ES

[quote name='Todai' timestamp='1431378752' post='11540284']
-Too much to ignore-

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I actually don't have any yarn in the house either so I just shoved a plastic bag in right now and will test it out later. I wound the plastic pretty tight and don't know if it expanded once I put it in. Did you just loosely wind it up? I guess I'll find out when I hit it later. Thanks again for the suggestion.
[/quote]

So I just got back from the range and the plastic bag definitely changed the sound and feel. I think it feels and sounds closer like a Taylormade R1. The only reason I'm comparing it to that is because that is the last Taylormade club that I really hit and remember. I weighed the plastic that I stuffed in and it didn't even weigh 1 gram so I'm pretty sure the swing weight did not change but I don't have a swing weight scale to check. I'm pretty sure I'm going to leave it in but I need to get a round in with it. In terms of USGA legal I would second that question and would like to know if it's legal but I doubt it according to this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/691192-cotton-ball-removal-from-driver-head/page__pid__5238334#entry5238334

Ping Anser 17* TFC 800H
Ping S55 3-PW Modus3 125
Ping Glide 54 SS, 60 ES

For some reason I don't mind the sound with this driver. It just sounds like I murdered the ball every time I hit it. On a hole that I normally have 120 in after my drive (with my old Ping Anser), I had 70 yards in yesterday. Granted I got a little help from the wind but my Gamegolf said I hit it 320. Loving this driver so far. Gamegolf also said that I hit 69% of my fairways yesterday.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

Am I the only one that loves the loud, obnoxious, aggressive noise of this monster?

There is nothing better than seeing this bad boy launching into the blue sky with the low spinning flight that seems as if it never wants to land.

The enormous booming sound just makes you feel like you've just unleashed mass murder!

s*** I love this stick!!!

(Got the shrink appointment in the morning)

Taylormade M1 8.5* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Taylormade SLDR tour spec 14* w/ Tour AD-DI7 x flex
Titleist 712u 2 + 4 iron w/ project X 6.5
Titleist 716 TMB 3 iron w/ x100
Titleist 716 MB 5-PW w/ x100
50* 54* SM5 chrome vokey both on F grind
Scotty Cameron California Coronado

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1431634786' post='11560004']
I'm glad I got $285 out of mine on ebay, bought it for $300 so I can't complain.
[/quote]

How did you buy for $300?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

[quote name='pitchinwedge' timestamp='1431640489' post='11560390']
[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1431634786' post='11560004']
I'm glad I got $285 out of mine on ebay, bought it for $300 so I can't complain.
[/quote]

How did you buy for $300?
[/quote] Ebay I'll be demoing the Fly Z and Fly Z+ next. My course finally got some in, shafts feel very soft though.

I hit this few days ago and it spun like crazy....spin is at or near regular g30....I am not a high spin player with driver by any means nor do I have crazy CHS.....between fly z plus, 915, aeroburner, R15, cally this driver had most spin by a good stretch.....I couldn't get spin below 3k with 3 different shafts....felt good and launched high but it was shortest in distance out of all ones I hit

Well, I went to swing doctor and made some simple changes. I wasn't hitting it bad before, but what I am doing right now is in a different league...BEST DRIVES I'VE EVER HIT! The flight and spin seems to be perfect....it's that close to a knuckle ball flight, but without knuckle - it comes off the face like Usain Bolt out of the gate and wants to go forward like Kenenisa Bekele

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

I hit this few days ago and it spun like crazy....spin is at or near regular g30....I am not a high spin player with driver by any means nor do I have crazy CHS.....between fly z plus, 915, aeroburner, R15, cally this driver had most spin by a good stretch.....I couldn't get spin below 3k with 3 different shafts....felt good and launched high but it was shortest in distance out of all ones I hit

45021-will-ferrell-kristen-wiig-you-yd3a.gif

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1431667449' post='11562338']I hit this few days ago and it spun like crazy....spin is at or near regular g30....I am not a high spin player with driver by any means nor do I have crazy CHS.....between fly z plus, 915, aeroburner, R15, cally this driver had most spin by a good stretch.....I couldn't get spin below 3k with 3 different shafts....felt good and launched high but it was shortest in distance out of all ones I hit[/quote]

Weird. I have a G25 and couldn't get the spin below 3,000. With the G30 LS Tec I get low 2,000s.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='youngstructural' timestamp='1431603360' post='11557174']
I love mine. I can't get enough of this club.

:)
[/quote]

Well stated and I could not agree more!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='ccorrada' timestamp='1431700082' post='11563638']
Anyone playing a AD-Di in this monster?
[/quote]

I have an Ad Di 7 in mine but still trying to dial it in. Best success has been with a regular 9* G30 at D4 swingweight. 1st run out with the 10.5 LS at D2 was a little erratic. Throwing a little weight on it today to see if it works better.

[/quote]

Yup, AD DI 6x. Couldn't be happier with it. Can hit it high or low, fade or draw when I'm swinging properly. Feel is excellent, much smoother than the Tour 65.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1431700509' post='11563686']
[/quote]

Yup, AD DI 6x. Couldn't be happier with it. Can hit it high or low, fade or draw when I'm swinging properly. Feel is excellent, much smoother than the Tour 65.
[/quote]What's your SS?

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

[/quote]

Yes indeed! Magic combo for me... High launch, low spin and silky smooth.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12