Could a 12 handicapper....

21degreeloft

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1428556401' post='11317013'][quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1428553571' post='11316859']
I just got back! So i have not read through the thread yet ,but I would like to post up my stats.......

Dun Dun Dun.......

3 Fairways In regulations..... I hit all dead ugly Slices....

6/18 Greens. Not bad considering I was in the trees all day....

35 Putts

For a crowd pleasing...........85........

One worse that my handicap. But cant complain when you only hit 3 Fairways LOL!

OK going home to take a shower I will follow up, hopefully I didnt miss anything good!

Oh yes, I played with my Blades......Thank goodness I did as I did a lot of shot manipulation that got me out of trouble.
[/quote]you do realize that would have been a 75 with some G30's lol[/quote]

Lol I wish if not I would have taken the JPXs out today. It was windy and I was in so much crap today. Was funny though. Did run of back to back birdies on 1&2. Then the glass started to break lol.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1428556151' post='11317003']
I'm playing my second round of the year on friday, I'll report back with stats like exac if anyones interested. I think my baby brother has my old combo set or else I'd do a little comparison too if I have time.
[/quote]

Yeah I think all "12s" should be posting their blades playing experiences in this thread. What they shot and how they got there and whether or not the blade had much to do with it.

Recently I went from shooting 90 and 86 with my CBs and then without any practice rounds and just half a bucket warm up I switched to my blades the next round and shot 84. So how again did they hurt my score?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1428551983' post='11316749']
My S55's look great and have great toe-weighting which helps my occasional toe misses. Blades are pretty but they scare me and can only imagine how dumb Id look on a poor iron day with them. :) haha
[/quote]

The difference between your S55s and real blades (my experience is mostly with Wilson Staff FG 62s) is miniscule, when it comes to the sort of forgiveness you need on "poor days".
In general, I feel that the difference between true blades and the corresponding CBs (like the Titleist models for instance) is tiny. The difference between the so called "player's cavities" and the real GI and SGI irons with their thick soles, long club heads and big offset is much, much bigger.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428557871' post='11317073']
I'm playing my second round of the year on friday, I'll report back with stats like exac if anyones interested. I think my baby brother has my old combo set or else I'd do a little comparison too if I have time.
[/quote]

Yeah I think all "12s" should be posting their blades playing experiences in this thread. What they shot and how they got there and whether or not the blade had much to do with it.

Recently I went from shooting 90 and 86 with my CBs and then without any practice rounds and just half a bucket warm up I switched to my blades the next round and shot 84. So how again did they hurt my score?
[/quote]I wasn't bashing about blades with that post. I just know a couple pages back Ex asked me what the strengths of my game were.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

[quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1428558221' post='11317083']
[/quote]

[/quote]I wasn't bashing about blades with that post. I just know a couple pages back Ex asked me what the strengths of my game were.
[/quote]

I completely understand! I meant that as open point and question for the boards and not you directly. I'm interested in your results and comparison testing.

It's the time of year where I normally just play my blades but for purposes of this thread I may play my blades on Saturdays and CBs on Sundays. LOL but I hate going to my CBs right after my blades. I need more time to adjust to their duller feeling.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428558544' post='11317091'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1428558221' post='11317083']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I completely understand! I meant that as open point and question for the boards and not you directly. I'm interested in your results and comparison testing.

It's the time of year where I normally just play my blades but for purposes of this thread I may play my blades on Saturdays and CBs on Sundays. LOL but I hate going to my CBs right after my blades. I need more time to adjust to their duller feeling.[/quote]

Yea I'm sure that will be extremely tough. Just pretend you didn't hit that one good shot the day before. You come across as the guy that carries a divot tool to fix everybody else's ball marks.

[quote name='govols' timestamp='1428559083' post='11317103']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428558544' post='11317091'][quote name='knock it close' timestamp='1428558221' post='11317083']
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's the time of year where I normally just play my blades but for purposes of this thread I may play my blades on Saturdays and CBs on Sundays. LOL but I hate going to my CBs right after my blades. I need more time to adjust to their duller feeling.[/quote]

Yea I'm sure that will be extremely tough. Just pretend you didn't hit that one good shot the day before. You come across as the guy that carries a divot tool to fix everybody else's ball marks.
[/quote]

Actually when I played my blades I had more GIRs. I believe I posted this already. I believe it was two 5i GIRs, a 6i GIR, and two 54W GIRs. My three missed GIRs were two 3is and an 8i. I had a similar good ballstriking day with my CBs when I shot the 86, but it was just a better ballstriking day with my blades in hand!

And yes I carry a divot tool and always repair mine and also any marks I happen to see when I am waiting to putt. I do it out of respect for the game, my course, and my fellow golfers.

You come across as a guy with blade issues. Serious ones.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='govols' timestamp='1428557165' post='11317043'][quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1428556799' post='11317031'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1428556591' post='11317019']Can work MB irons but slice drives in trees all day. Lol. I believe one part of that scenario.[/quote]so what are you telling me I didn't shoot close to my handicap today?! LOL that is the best you got?[/quote]

You probably did but I doubt you're even a 12. Sounds like you need a MB driving iron but then you'd 6 putt.[/quote]
So you think I am lying about my handicap now?!?! Wow. You are really reaching now. Amazing.

Govols. Here is my thread where I posted my legit GHIN

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/807071-15Hdcp-to-10Hdcp---Whats-the-Secret,-Now-the-Journey!

What now you are going to say I'm lying about i outing my scores just to impress some random internet people. Ahahha.

You have nothing but put downs. No real contributions other than just talking out of your @ss. What ever floats your boat buddy

Oh btw yes I do have a 2 iron MB driving iron i use often.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1428561455' post='11317171']Vols, you strike me as the kinda guy that cheers for a school he didn't attend, eh?

Why don't you stop trolling? Accusing folks of lying on the internet never goes real well. It's been nice this thread hasn't been locked yet. Let's keep it that way.[/quote]

Well this is the internet......

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1428561183' post='11317165'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1428557165' post='11317043'][quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1428556799' post='11317031'][quote name='govols' timestamp='1428556591' post='11317019']Can work MB irons but slice drives in trees all day. Lol. I believe one part of that scenario.[/quote]so what are you telling me I didn't shoot close to my handicap today?! LOL that is the best you got?[/quote]

You probably did but I doubt you're even a 12. Sounds like you need a MB driving iron but then you'd 6 putt.[/quote]
So you think I am lying about my handicap now?!?! Wow. You are really reaching now. Amazing.

Govols. Here is my thread where I posted my legit GHIN

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?/topic/807071-15Hdcp-to-10Hdcp---Whats-the-Secret,-Now-the-Journey!

What now you are going to say I'm lying about i outing my scores just to impress some random internet people. Ahahha.

You have nothing but put downs. No real contributions other than just talking out of your @ss. What ever floats your boat buddy

Oh btw yes I do have a 2 iron MB driving iron i use often.[/quote]

Fore!

There is an agenda to troll this thread and get it shut down or make a mockery of it. This is a golfwrx common phenomenon: no pro blades thread shall exist. The Blade users thread (Bigmeans) has driven one troll so batty that he has resorted to calling it elitist. The trolls are also setting up the trolling in PMs now. Some of them have slipped and put their PMs in this thread by accident.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428546794' post='11316223']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1428542865' post='11315803']
which sucks for those of us that bothered to figure out how to hit a normal club more or less straight
[/quote]

Agreed. You get better [i]despite[/i] playing SGI clubs, not [i]because[/i] of it.
[/quote]

After a certain level of competency us been achieved. There are lots of guys who need that SGI help with their irons.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1428573348' post='11317363']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428546794' post='11316223']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1428542865' post='11315803']
which sucks for those of us that bothered to figure out how to hit a normal club more or less straight
[/quote]

Agreed. You get better [i]despite[/i] playing SGI clubs, not [i]because[/i] of it.
[/quote]

After a certain level of competency us been achieved. There are lots of guys who need that SGI help with their irons.
[/quote]
My point is that they don't actually help those guys to achieve that competency. Maybe some golfers, but not all.

Registered Bladeocrat

GI irons don't help people improve their swing, they just help you score better on those occasions when you mishit the ball. If you never mishit the ball then play blades, and get an agent.

The science behind GI clubs is real. If you don't care then fine for you. Just understand that you are an outlier; 3 sigma in the normal distribution curve. Someone needs to be 3 sigma, so you guys are fulfilling a useful purpose in life.

When 3 sigma people think they are correct and everyone else is wrong that's when talk of conspiracy theories come in. Understand that companies like Mizuno and Ping, which attempt to guide players toward clubs which will provide an appropriate amount of help, are not trying to trick you. You just need to be properly aware of your surroundings to accept the help though.

Or just ignore the advice by industry leaders, claim conspiracy theory, and continue on playing your blades as a mid capper. Golf is just a game remember. Not life and death. Just hope you guys don't get a heart attack on the course when you dunk that 4 iron blade shot in the lake. Then it could be life or death. Hey, maybe they should provide a disclaimer on each set of blades they sell: Don't play blades as a mid capper if you have a heart condition. Now there's some useful information!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428563792' post='11317217']
There is an agenda to troll this thread and get it shut down or make a mockery of it. This is a golfwrx common phenomenon: no pro blades thread shall exist. The Blade users thread (Bigmeans) has driven one troll so batty that he has resorted to calling it elitist. The trolls are also setting up the trolling in PMs now. Some of them have slipped and put their PMs in this thread by accident.
[/quote] This thread has a long way to go! We havent even touched on shaft flex.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1428582678' post='11317855']
GI irons don't help people improve their swing, they just help you score better on those occasions when you mishit the ball. If you never mishit the ball then play blades, and get an agent.

The science behind GI clubs is real. If you don't care then fine for you. Just understand that you are an outlier; 3 sigma in the normal distribution curve. Someone needs to be 3 sigma, so you guys are fulfilling a useful purpose in life.

When 3 sigma people think they are correct and everyone else is wrong that's when talk of conspiracy theories come in. Understand that companies like Mizuno and Ping, which attempt to guide players toward clubs which will provide an appropriate amount of help, are not trying to trick you. You just need to be properly aware of your surroundings to accept the help though.

Or just ignore the advice by industry leaders, claim conspiracy theory, and continue on playing your blades as a mid capper. Golf is just a game remember. Not life and death. Just hope you guys don't get a heart attack on the course when you dunk that 4 iron blade shot in the lake. Then it could be life or death. Hey, maybe they should provide a disclaimer on each set of blades they sell: Don't play blades as a mid capper if you have a heart condition. Now there's some useful information!
[/quote]
When you say mis-hit are you talking out on the chrome? Or barely inside the chrome near the toe?

Because I havent noticed any distance lost when I am 1/4" either side of center with my Macs.

Doubt ruins more dreams than failure
ever will - someone on the internet

[/quote]
There's no outliers. You cannot prove this.

You cannot prove that GI clubs help score.

Because of this your tact is to mock or just make claims with limited to no backup.

You would make a better case if you had some side by side scoring data to compare. And not some argument like you played blades years ago.

Oh and don't you work in the golf industry?

Registered Bladeocrat

i do appreciate the concern with how i spend my money.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Callaway Apex UT #3 driving iron with DG mid 115

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1428585176' post='11318133']

[/quote]
There's no outliers. You cannot prove this.

You cannot prove that GI clubs help score.

Because of this your tact is to mock or just make claims with limited to no backup.

You would make a better case if you had some side by side scoring data to compare. And not some argument like you played blades years ago.

Oh and don't you work in the golf industry?
[/quote]

Please remove references to "you" (me) and change it to Mizuno & Ping & Callaway (maybe others too), because these companies guide players towards clubs based on either Handicap or ability. Do you think it's a conspiracy against the golfing public to guide mid/high cappers towards GI equipment?

Do you wear a tin foil hat when you are hitting your blades?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

It is so easy. Take Iron Byron. Make him hit blades, player's cavities and GI and SGI irons on the sweet spot, 2 mm off it, 5mm off it, 10 mm off it and see what happens. somebody must have done this, no? I am sure that there is a difference.
But:
Then take dozens of players of differnt abilities in a fitting situation and have them hit those different clubs as well and see how often who hits which club off the sweet spot by how much. Different folks will react differently to differently looking clubheads, and I believe that's all some people don't understand.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Can I get a quick summary of peoples views?

Golf companies message:[list=1]
[*]GI clubs are more forgiving on off center strikes.
[*]That will result in your mishits being closer to your intended target.
[*]More shots ending up near your intended target will lower your score.
[*]Golfers want to lower their score.
[/list]
Do you agree that the above 4 points are being promoted by the club manufacturers?

Do you agree that the above 4 points are true? If not, which ones do you feel are false (or perhaps exaggerated)

I may be wrong but shouldn't a 12 (like myself) be averaging rounds in the range of 84-86? That's about where my average round is,occasionally hitting 80,82 and a 88...lol

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1428586759' post='11318319']
It is so easy. Take Iron Byron. Make him hit blades, player's cavities and GI and SGI irons on the sweet spot, 2 mm off it, 5mm off it, 10 mm off it and see what happens. somebody must have done this, no? I am sure that there is a difference.
But:
Then take dozens of players of differnt abilities in a fitting situation and have them hit those different clubs as well and see how often who hits which club off the sweet spot by how much. Different folks will react differently to differently looking clubheads, and I believe that's all some people don't understand.
[/quote]whats not understood by some is that hitting the centre of the club face does not guarantee hitting shots to their intended target, it does not guarantee lower scores, and playing GI's won't change that.

Pro V1 

[quote name='avrag' timestamp='1428586759' post='11318319']
But:
[/quote]

I posted this link a few pages back:

http://www.oobgolf.com/content/the+wedge+guy/golf+equipment/5-2032-Blades_Versus_Cavity_Backs_A_Golf_Club_Epiphany.html

and there is a difference.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1428586991' post='11318339']

[/list]
Do you agree that the above 4 points are being promoted by the club manufacturers?

Do you agree that the above 4 points are true? If not, which ones do you feel are false (or perhaps exaggerated)
[/quote]
isn't the plan to hit the face in the middle regardless of what type of club it is? Or do you buy GI's so you can purposely hit it an inch out towards the toe each time?

Pro V1 

[quote name='cliffhanger' timestamp='1428587207' post='11318363']
[quote name='wetdogsmell' timestamp='1428586991' post='11318339']

[/list]

[/quote]
isn't the plan to hit the face in the middle regardless of what type of club it is? Or do you buy GI's so you can purposely hit it an inch out towards the toe each time?
[/quote]

Certainly the plan is to hit the sweet spot. Unfortunately some of us can't do that every time. My plan on par 3's is to get a hole in one too... I only succeeded once :)