2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Harborside Port Course tomorrow at 1:50. Two of us so far. Who wants to play?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I'll be in Chicago next week and looking to play Cog Hill #4 on Friday 9/22. Bowes Creek also looks interesting, but not sure I want to drive that from.

I need to be back in the city by 5 at the latest and am debating 18 or 36, which will impact tee times. Send me a PM if you're interested in joining.

it would be nearly impossible to play 36 at Bowes and be back in the city by 5 unless you started really early and got really lucky with pace of play. After 3 it will probably take you close to 1.5 hours to drive back to Chicago.

Port course at Harborside this afternoon. Can't say I've ever played in calmer conditions so no excuses right? Teed off just before 2pm with misty drizzly rain and quite chilly when riding in the cart. Cleared up by the 13th into decent weather. What's going on with the bunkers there? No consistency. Some supper-fluffy, some just raked mud?

Anyway, too many soft bogies out there today. Could not make a putt all day until 18. Bogies at 4, 5, 10, 16 and a lost ball double at 12. Birdies came from sticking it next to the hole to one foot on both 7 and 8, then to 2 inches on 14 and then a 7-iron on 15 that landed 2 feet past the hole and jumped back to finish directly behind it an inch away! Damn it was that close. You know those shots when you think it's close and as you get to the hole it isn't so much? Well the drive down from the 15th tee takes you all over the place and from every angle we could only see ball and flag lining up with each other. Finished well and still in some decent form.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Whisper Creek and Aldeen on Saturday. Last time we booked Aldeen we had too much time in between rounds and bailed on favor of Timber Pointe. This time the two are spaced apart better. It's gonna be almost 90 this weekend so I'm expecting a crowded course for round two.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Port course at Harborside this afternoon. Can't say I've ever played in calmer conditions so no excuses right? Teed off just before 2pm with misty drizzly rain and quite chilly when riding in the cart. Cleared up by the 13th into decent weather. What's going on with the bunkers there? No consistency. Some supper-fluffy, some just raked mud?

They're only half done with the bunker renovation on the Port side. The work was paused during the summer, but should have resumed after Labor Day. They should be done by the end of the season.

As you saw, some of the old bunkers are the old hardpan dirt/mud, and the newer ones are fluffy quicksand pits that will need a season or two to settle.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Heading to Blackstone (Marengo) for a work scramble late Saturday morning. Any thoughts on it? Never played it before, but heard good things.

Great layout...generally in awesome condition and stay below the hole whenever possible.

I was looking at on-the-way courses between Sand Valley and Midway for a Monday round and saw this one not far off i90.

Would a place like Blackstone be close enough to Lawsonia Links in quality, to play it instead?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Heading to Blackstone (Marengo) for a work scramble late Saturday morning. Any thoughts on it? Never played it before, but heard good things.

Great layout...generally in awesome condition and stay below the hole whenever possible.

I was looking at on-the-way courses between Sand Valley and Midway for a Monday round and saw this one not far off i90.

Would a place like Blackstone be close enough to Lawsonia Links in quality, to play it instead?

'Probably. It's roughly an hour from Midway, and 2.5 hours from Lawsonia. University Ridge in Madison would be a good alternative, but it's 2.75 hours from the airport.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I'm not sure there is a public course in Illinois that can sniff Lawsonia Links. I've played about 90 publics in greater Chicago and none of them are as good. However, I have not played Blackstone so I don't have a comment on this course plays specifically.

Had a very pleasant round at Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Time playing the whole course. The last time I played it was a few years ago, I only got 8 holes in before a thunderstorm rolled in. I remember being unimpressed by the staff and the course conditions. This time around, I felt more like a customer and course conditions were better. It was raining during my round it played slow and long. Finished 18 holes in 2:40.

Having played the whole course this time, this is one of my favorite course layouts.

Thanks Argonne/CMS - One way or the other I have to drive back. So it's either play 3+hr drive or drive some play, drive some. I like seeing different college team courses, so I'll keep University Ridge in mind.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks Argonne/CMS - One way or the other I have to drive back. So it's either play 3+hr drive or drive some play, drive some. I like seeing different college team courses, so I'll keep University Ridge in mind.

I've played the home courses for the University of Michigan, University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Purdue, University of Iowa, Eastern Michigan University, and Notre Dame, and I'd say University Ridge was my favorite.

That said, I wouldn't swap Lawsonia for either Blackstone or University Ridge.

Had a very pleasant round at Ruffled Feathers yesterday. Time playing the whole course. The last time I played it was a few years ago, I only got 8 holes in before a thunderstorm rolled in. I remember being unimpressed by the staff and the course conditions. This time around, I felt more like a customer and course conditions were better. It was raining during my round it played slow and long. Finished 18 holes in 2:40.

Having played the whole course this time, this is one of my favorite course layouts.

'Glad you enjoyed it. I've never had an issue with the layout. The par 5 15th is a bit odd, but otherwise it has some challenging and memorable holes. My beef was always with the conditioning and the pace of play, especially when they were charging nearly $100. The conditioning seems to have improved, but the pace of play was still an issue when I played it back in June.

'Glad you enjoyed it. I've never had an issue with the layout. The par 5 15th is a bit odd, but otherwise it has some challenging and memorable holes. My beef was always with the conditioning and the pace of play, especially when they were charging nearly $100. The conditioning seems to have improved, but the pace of play was still an issue when I played it back in June.

I was first guy out. Luckily for me pace wasn't an issue. But I did have a guy suddenly pull up behind me after 8 holes and I encountered a foursome on 18 that held me up for 10 minutes. I'm sure the Tough layout and people jumping holes can make for a slow round.

I've played the home courses for the University of Michigan, University of Illinois, University of Wisconsin, Purdue, University of Iowa, Eastern Michigan University, and Notre Dame, and I'd say University Ridge was my favorite.

Arg, I've never played University Ridge, and I love The Warren Course. You think UR is better?

Played the U of I course down near Champaign. Wind was HOWLING and it seemed to always be a cross-wind on every hole.

Ducked my head into the U of I "clubhouse" at their course. One of the most amazing indoor practice facilities I've ever seen. The entry atrium was basically a humongous living room with sofas, recliners, and fireplaces!

Arg, I've never played University Ridge, and I love The Warren Course. You think UR is better?

Yes, I do. I wasn't a big fan of Warren's front nine. It's a very nice prairie-style layout, but nothing really stands out. The back nine is visually much better. University Ridge is built on rolling terrain, so it's visually more interesting. More importantly, I think it's more challenging. UR has a slope of 144 from the tips (7259), while Warren has a slope of 135 (7020).

I'm playing it on Saturday too. Greens can stimp at 11, maybe even faster with the hot, dry weather. Hope they haven't aerated. Course is still very scoreable.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Prairie Landing aerating on Oct 8 & 9.

Prairie Bluff aerated 2 weeks ago, small tines, green reported to be in great condition.

... I played Prairie Bluff Tuesday and would not call the greens great or fully recovered, but pretty good and just a little bumpy.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

absolutely not. No disrespect to Blackstone which is a fine course in its own right, but Lawsonia is a world class course that many consider to be the best course in Wisconsin, even ahead of Erin Hills, Whistling Straits etc.

Golfweek has ranked Lawsonia as the 2nd best public course in Wisconsin two years running.

Blackstone has great greens, but Lawsonia has arguably the best greens in the entire country. Golf magazine called them the funnest greens to play in the entire USA.

absolutely not. No disrespect to Blackstone which is a fine course in its own right, but Lawsonia is a world class course that many consider to be the best course in Wisconsin, even ahead of Erin Hills, Whistling Straits etc.

Golfweek has ranked Lawsonia as the 2nd best public course in Wisconsin two years running.

Blackstone has great greens, but Lawsonia has arguably the best greens in the entire country. Golf magazine called them the funnest greens to play in the entire USA.

To each his own. I like Blackstone more, but I've only played Lawsonia once. The greens at Lawsonia are unique (unless you've played other Langford courses, in which case they feel like, well, another Langford course) but from tee to green, I wasn't blown away. It's very wide open and players can miss fairways yet be fine. There's some tree trouble at Blackstone on 3-6 and 15, which is not something I found at all at Lawsonia. Both are great courses though.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Here is an under the radar course in the area I would recommend: Spring Valley in Salem, WI. It's also a Langford course like Lawsonia, but it much rougher shape. If you are interested in a Langford course that has really interesting greens and routing, this is your spot. However, the condition is average, greens have shrunk a lot in the past 80 years, and there is not a bunker on the property. But you can play it for $20 or so.

If you're looking for a well manicured course, don't go here. But it you want something different, this might be up your ally.

I made the trip to sand valley earlier in the year. Stopped at University Ridge, Sand Valley, and Lawsonia. I have played blackstone a few times. If its between UR and Blackstone I should play UR 100% of the time but at the same time I prefer UR to Lawsonia (which I know zero is going to hate this comment). Sand Valley is excellent. If you get a caddie, there are 3 levels I would recommend either doing the first or third level. I went with the middle and ended up with just a guy carrying a bag for a little less than the "pro" caddies cost. Enjoy your trip!

I knew I could count on your Chicago guys :)

Thanks for indulging my off-topic query.

F.T.

To each his own. I like Blackstone more, but I've only played Lawsonia once. The greens at Lawsonia are unique (unless you've played other Langford courses, in which case they feel like, well, another Langford course) but from tee to green, I wasn't blown away. It's very wide open and players can miss fairways yet be fine. There's some tree trouble at Blackstone on 3-6 and 15, which is not something I found at all at Lawsonia. Both are great courses though.

I've played a few other Langford courses (Skokie CC, Kankakee Elks, Fresh Meadows), but none that have greens I would mistake for Lawsonia greens. I can see the similarity at Skokie and Kankakee, but they are like mini versions of Lawsonia. None of those courses have the extreme elevated and perched island-like greens you see at Lawsonia.