2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

... First, even though I have been here since '78, I was born and raised in the south and never gotten used to the cold. Second, I cannot swing a club when it gets cold and my back gets too tight let along losing all the feeling in my hands. I much prefer playing in 105 degree heat than wind chills below 50*. AND the ball goes nowhere. I think that is sufficient cry babying to explain why it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold for me to take the garbage out let alone play golf.

... I came to Chicago as a DJ from Georgia in May of 78. I remember the first really cold day and the wind chill made it something like 15* and I had never felt anything like that. Showed up for my 10am-2pm shift in boots, big gloves, wool cap and a new down coat and the Program Director said "Nice outfit. What are you gonna wear when it gets cold!?!?!" I thought he was kidding, until a few years later and I had a dress rehearsal for a play when the wind chill was 83 below. LOL, I don't belong here.

10 years ago, I'd have to wear a fleece and hoodie in weather like yesterday and today. However, the mock turtleneck has been a Godsend. I can play in low to mid-30s weather and not feel restricted when swinging at all. Also, as has been said by others, you've gotta walk in cold weather. It's the only way to gradually warm up. Yesterday the threat of freezing rain was enough for us to take a cart at Lost Marsh and it was a big reason why I never really got warm.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Much better weather this morning. 35 degrees, sunny, and little wind. I was expecting a frost delay at Glencoe, but I got out as a single just before 8 am, and after playing through the group in front of me it was clear sailing. I finished in just over two hours. The course is in very nice shape, other than a handful of wet bunkers. The greens were firm and rolling quick.

A little better ballstriking today. 10 fairways and 8 greens. Still struggling turning the ball over with my irons, but a slight adjustment with the aim helped. Chipping was much better, and I scrambled for a 4 pars.

Feels like we're on borrowed time here. Next weekend is supposed to be a bit nicer, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

... First, even though I have been here since '78, I was born and raised in the south and never gotten used to the cold. Second, I cannot swing a club when it gets cold and my back gets too tight let along losing all the feeling in my hands. I much prefer playing in 105 degree heat than wind chills below 50*. AND the ball goes nowhere. I think that is sufficient cry babying to explain why it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to cold for me to take the garbage out let alone play golf.

... I came to Chicago as a DJ from Georgia in May of 78. I remember the first really cold day and the wind chill made it something like 15* and I had never felt anything like that. Showed up for my 10am-2pm shift in boots, big gloves, wool cap and a new down coat and the Program Director said "Nice outfit. What are you gonna wear when it gets cold!?!?!" I thought he was kidding, until a few years later and I had a dress rehearsal for a play when the wind chill was 83 below. LOL, I don't belong here.

10 years ago, I'd have to wear a fleece and hoodie in weather like yesterday and today. However, the mock turtleneck has been a Godsend. I can play in low to mid-30s weather and not feel restricted when swinging at all. Also, as has been said by others, you've gotta walk in cold weather. It's the only way to gradually warm up. Yesterday the threat of freezing rain was enough for us to take a cart at Lost Marsh and it was a big reason why I never really got warm.

... I always walk unless it is mountain course, one with exaggerated walks from the green to the next tee box or over 100* with little wind. I use a remote electric cart. In fact I am selling my Mottocaddy S7 that is 2 years old for less than 1/2 price. New they are $1800 but usually on sale for $1600 plus shipping and tax so I am selling mine for $799 if anyone in the Chicago area is interested.

http://www.motocaddy.us/new-s7-remote-electric-trolley

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Played 27 holes in awful weather on Saturday. Played at Sportsman in their 2 man tournament. 9 holes best ball, 9 holes scramble and 9 holes alternate shot. Only 7 teams showed up, but I'm still proud that we won it! Highlight was chipping in for birdie during alternate shot and we ended up winning by 2 strokes. Course was in good shape, but greens had been punched in the past couple weeks. The pot of chili in the clubhouse after 18 holes was the real MVP of the event.

So I finally got out to play Shepherds Crook today. What a gem. Im going to have to get back there earlier in the season next year. My only thought is those greens have to get tough if the course drys out.

Glad you liked it. Even when the course gets really dry, they never let the greens get too crazy.

Played the 'tough pin' scramble at Blackstone yesterday. Course is great IMO. We got around in a brisk 6 1/2 hour round. Yikes - longest of my life and NEVER waited a single shot on the group in front of us and never saw the group behind us. When I was leaving some were still coming in (probably 7 hours). We played the 8some format but everything was related to the putting. Maybe 2 or 3 holes that you could leave a putt within 8 -10 feet. The rest were more like 15 feet as the best situation for the putt coming to rest. Luckily they had a max 3 putt limit.

Long day.

Played the 'tough pin' scramble at Blackstone yesterday. Course is great IMO. We got around in a brisk 6 1/2 hour round. Yikes - longest of my life and NEVER waited a single shot on the group in front of us and never saw the group behind us. When I was leaving some were still coming in (probably 7 hours). We played the 8some format but everything was related to the putting. Maybe 2 or 3 holes that you could leave a putt within 8 -10 feet. The rest were more like 15 feet as the best situation for the putt coming to rest. Luckily they had a max 3 putt limit.

Long day.

How did your group play?

Long day.

How did your group play?

We shot 67 and had 1 double. Did you play?

Long day.

How did your group play?

No Sir but that's a great round!

Playing a Turkey scrambles at Renwood on Saturday. Hoping the weather turns out better than it's looking at the moment. Still openings if anyone wants to put a team together.

Played yesterday and while it was certainly chilly when we teed off at 815am, it was a fairly nice day. Used the new face mask I picked up last week. Mostly to keep my neck warm. Great purchase for sure!

Golf season is fleeting...as ice pellets bounce off my windshield as I type this. Florida in December though!

Long day.

How did your group play?

No Sir but that's a great round!

60 was leading when I left. We made 5 bombs of 30+ feet. The group we played with made 5 putts that rolled back into the hole. I had played in 1 other of these events before at Maple Meadows but wasn't nearly this severe. Frankly - it was very 1 Dimensional. Hit the green (didn't seem to matter that much where. You either made a 20-30 foot putt for birde or made a 10-15 putt for par or made bogey. We missed 1 green and made double.

Played GDN this past Sunday. Teed off at 11am. Course was better than expected. Greens were decent. Bunkers not so much. Fairways and greens were both firm. Not wet in most places at all. Got the new 19* CLK hybrid working well. Solid and straight. A few early bogies with a couple of tap-in birdies at 12 and 13. Only got 14 holes in (1-13 and 16) but for this time of year, I'll take that.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played GDN this past Sunday. Teed off at 11am. Course was better than expected. Greens were decent. Bunkers not so much. Fairways and greens were both firm. Not wet in most places at all. Got the new 19* CLK hybrid working well. Solid and straight. A few early bogies with a couple of tap-in birdies at 12 and 13. Only got 14 holes in (1-13 and 16) but for this time of year, I'll take that.

What time did you walk off the course? The sun sets at ~5:45 pm.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

What time did you walk off the course? The sun sets at ~5:45 pm.

Had to leave early.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I'm off on Friday so Bear's taking a day and we're gonna try to get in two rounds at Heritage Bluffs. The greens there were punched about a month ago so they should be alright. They'll be puttable but I'm not expecting greatness. With a forecast of 50 degrees and overcast, I'm hoping for no frost delay. Otherwise, round two might get cut off before we can finish.

Piretti Cottonwood II

zer0,

Congrats on your Saturday success. We were on the course before you all set out. It was quite the brisk morning.

I think I saw you out there, or at least I assume it was you since I can't imagine two groups of people being crazy enough to play that morning :)

The walking twosome was us - first out. Again this Saturday at seven something and Sunday at seven sharp.

Next week is their Turkey Shoot but I think we'll be up at the Crook with some pals and a bottle of Bulleit. :taunt:

BTW, your pic is proudly displayed on Sportsman's homepage. Winner.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Tomorrow looks like a total washout. I'll probably wake up early and check the radar, and see if there are any openings. I'm booked early Sunday morning at Wilmette, but the forecast has changed to bring in a great chance of t-storms. 'Very iffy.

Anyone played Harborside lately? Playing in their event on Sunday with the 6/6/6 format. Sunday looks 66 with thunderstorms, which may complicate things. I know we are playing both Front-9's, but anyone been out there recently?

With rain forecast for much of the day tomorrow, I wouldn't be shocked if it was cart path only on Sunday. They've done a great job with the bunker renovation, but now they have to do something about the poor drainage. I haven't played there since mid-August. It seems every time I wanted to book we'd get several days of rain leading into the weekend, which is almost always going to result in CPO.

Played Oak Grove this morning. It was a beautiful day and I was only one of two singles on the whole course. A few of the greens weren't healed yet from the punching, but they rolled good enough for me.

Since I was alone out there I decided to play two balls.

It was Project A vs Vice Pro+ Lime and the Vice pulled off a two shot win (83/85). It was just cold and windy enough to make me almost two clubs shorter for most of the day. I ended up moving up to the whites just to make my approach shots a bit more manageable.

I did have a bit of a surprise on #2.

From a distance the green looked brown or dead and I thought that was a bit weird. I stuck one on the green and the other in the left side bunker. Then when I got close, the whole green was covered in sand. They must've just aerated and coated it because when I came around to #6 it was swept off. I snapped a couple photos just because I hadn't ever played a sand green before.

All in all a wonderful day spent alone with my thoughts.

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Heritage Bluffs was pretty solid. They punched with small tines about a month ago and they were completely healed. Had they been cut or rolled recently? Um, no. Tee to green, it was in good shape, but that's a beastly course in mid-40s weather. There were some spongy spots, but overall it drained well and we were able to get around in 3 hours. The layout there is so weird. I'm used to the strange routing now but they might want to do something about 13. It's tee box is right next to the third green, yet the walk from the 12th green to the 13th tee is stupidly long. There aren't a lot of birdie opportunities at HB and, with a bogie-bogie start, I had to scramble to eek out a 79.

Round two was at Broken Arrow. Village Links was $46 and Arrowhead was $43. On November 3rd? For real? Okay, so I'm cheap. Give me the $19 walking rate at BA. They punched with dime-sized marks about three weeks ago and were running smooth. They certainly weren't fast but smooth is enough for me. No water coolers is points against for BA in the middle of summer, but in early November it's not really an issue. Unlike HB, there's plenty of scoring holes and Bear knocked in two birdies while I had one, as well as a missed 4 footer on 7 East. My ball striking was much better and I ripped off some nice par streaks. It was also a lot less wet on the course than it was at HB, so there was some decent roll. 76. Tomorrow looks too wet to play but hopefully I can get out next Friday and Saturday.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I was planning to get out early yesterday, but I woke with a major pain in my lower back, and decided to give it a rest.

I walked 18 at Wilmette GC this morning. I was off very early, and had an open course in front of me. The fairways were rather wet, but still playable. The greens were nice and speedy. There was no wind, so the temperature in the low 50's was rather pleasant. I picked up a new Ping G400 LST, and was playing a few extra balls with it. Still managed to finish in under 3 hours. The rain started just as I pulled out of the parking lot.

OK day ballstriking. The new driver was spotty. Didn't want to get airborne, so I I was hitting these low draws that had a lot of run out. Definitely need some range time with the club. The irons on the other hand were spot on.

I hope we manage to get a few more decent days this season. I have 5 rounds planned for Florida in mid December, so I need 5 more here to hit the 100 round mark.

Played Shepherd's this afternoon. The course was soaked, but man, the greens were good. If you're looking to get in a final round of the season, get up there. The greens are in mid-season form, crazy good for November.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Played Cantigny today, course is in great condition. Discounted at $75 which still seems high for this time of the year.

Seems crazy expensive, considering I played the Original 18 at Blackwolf Run over the weekend for the same price.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X