2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

But, today was another reminder why I like to get out early. I'm not against guys using a cart speaker, but jeez, if you're going to blare some crappy Ed Sheeran remix, then I have every right to take my 7-iron to your speaker.

... Exactly why music on the course can be such a distraction. Kept at a low level It is fine unless someone is playing music you really don't like. I was a DJ for 12 years and one of my last stations was US99 doing afternoons. I was there almost 2 years and if I never hear a country song it will still be too soon. Same for Rap. I picked up a JBL Clip I use when alone and play at a low level but all it has ever played is Classic Rock. But players in carts blaring Pop, Country or Rap is just so inconsiderate. Classic Rock played loud is still inconsiderate, but much more palatable LOL.

I agree with you but we are showing our age iro rap crap.

15 hcp

... True dat. My son has very eclectic tastes in music, which I think is a real gift. The more music you like, the better I think He loved Rap preparing for a football games and that leaked into his personal life, although it is far from his favorite music. He prefers old school Rap and does not care for current Rap. He does not like country or modern pop but will listen to almost everything else. As someone that grew up with the Beatles changing music forever and being a DJ playing what was called Top 40 back then, I am pretty caught in the 70's and my 28 yr old son loves that era, especially the Beatles. The musicality of the that era is unsurpassed and the 80's ushering in synthesizers in lead of actual instruments was the beginning of the end of musicianship. When I interviewed Joe Walsh when Hotel California was released and he told me nobody was locking themselves in their rooms and learning to make a guitar their own. Bending the neck, pulling the strings, experimenting and finding new sounds from their guitar that would be instantly recognizable regardless of who they played with. I thought he was exaggerating but of course he knew what he was talking about. Although there are still bands sprinkled thru all era's, including today that embrace instruments and put the music ahead of everything else. They are just the exception. But Imo the real culprit was video where how you look, move and perform is much more important than how you sound.

... Fwiw, all are welcome on my lawn. :derisive:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Just go with an iPod and ear buds when on the course. You can listen to whatever you want at whatever volume you want. It also makes death marches a lot more tolerable. If I’m just waiting on every shot with no distractions, annoyance kicks in. If I’ve got, for example, Quadrophenia and Who’s Next going, I’m nice and calm.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Just go with an iPod and ear buds when on the course. You can listen to whatever you want at whatever volume you want. It also makes death marches a lot more tolerable. If I'm just waiting on every shot with no distractions, annoyance kicks in. If I've got, for example, Quadrophenia and Who's Next going, I'm nice and calm.

Not a bad way to go. If I listen to music it is usually just on my phone and in my pocket. I am the only one that can hear it, even then, if I am riding by a group or teebox/green are close to each other I turn it off, though I doubt it can be heard. If someone else can hear your music you are a rude golfer in my opinion.

Isn't one of the reasons you are out to play is to get away from it all. Turn off the phone, the music, the facechat and all the electronics and see the birds and the r=trees and relax. Old guy rant

I usually only play music if I am playing an every day round. I'll play Ruffled Feathers twice a week, and i'll have music on there. I get bored of playing the same course over and over again. So I like to switch up the tee boxes and have music to give it a different feel. But if I am playing anywhere else, or somewhere "special" I don't have music on. Also, it can be relaxing to some people and music has never taken away my ability to see birds and trees. (i may only listen to music 1 out of every 4 rounds, depending on how I'm feeling)

Great golf trip in Wisconsin over the weekend! Played the Bull Thursday, such a nice course. And got it for $50 at 2:20. Ended up doing another loop and playing 27.

Next day we played the Irish for the first time ever. Loved it. We all felt it had a much better layout than the Straits. And it was in great shape (sand in the greenside bunkers!!!). Plus it's half the price. So basically you're paying an extra $250 for a view of Lake Michigan.

Next day we played all day at Lawsonia. Started at 7:30 and finally called it a day at 8:30 pm when a monsoon came in out of nowhere. 50 holes in total. They gave my guests a great all day rate of $85! Usually costs $135.

Yesterday wrapped things up at the always nice Washington County. Course in great shape as always.

113 holes over 4 days. My back gave out towards the end of every round, but recovered every day for the next round of golf. Played my best round of the weekend on Sunday, the day after playing 12 hours straight.

The Preserve this Saturday morning. Good greens really helps me score.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

After a couple of rounds in Wisconsin over the weekend, I wasn't planning on playing much this week but the forecast today was too good to pass up. Hot and humid is my ideal playing conditions. Unfortunately, the only course I could get on at as a single without doing lots of driving to and from was Buffalo Grove, which I hadn't played in a few years. It was alright, but there was crabgrass on a few holes and the greens, while firm, were recently sanded. I opened with 11 straight pars, bogied 12 and 18, and birdied 15 for a 73.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Greens were rolling superb at Harborside today. I putted extremely well, 29 putts with a double breaking birdie putt that dropped from 40 feet that impressed the hell out of the guys I was playing with. Even more impressive, I was coming off a round at Indian Boundary this weekend for a bachelor party of all places, so that was basically doubling the Stimp. I think I'm onto something using one putter for fast greens and a different putter for slow greens. Too bad I was just dog poop off the tee or I woulda really had something going.

This weekend I am off to LA for the first time ever, going to fly the clubs down and squeeze a round in with my fiancee and her aunt and uncle at Los Verdes Golf Course in Rancho Palos Verdes. Looks pretty amazing with the ocean views and whatnot. There's either a lot of competition in the area for golfers or everyone there is jaded by ocean views, because looks like their rack rate is $55 to ride weekends. Pretty hard to find a decent track around here for that... lol. If anyone on here has ever played there before, I'd take a tip or three :)

Cobra KING LTD Pro 8.5º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 15º - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
*Titleist 816H2 21º (C1) - Graphite Design AD DI 105S (Double Eagle/Albatross 7/15/17)

OR - *Titleist 712U 3i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 712U 4i - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 - Aerotech SteelFiber 110S
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08, SM6 50.12F, SM6 56.14F bent to 55 True Temper DG S200
Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks V-Grind 60.10 True Temper DG S200
Scotty Cameron Bullseye Blade By Titleist

Greens were rolling superb at Harborside today. I putted extremely well, 29 putts with a double breaking birdie putt that dropped from 40 feet that impressed the hell out of the guys I was playing with. Even more impressive, I was coming off a round at Indian Boundary this weekend for a bachelor party of all places, so that was basically doubling the Stimp. I think I'm onto something using one putter for fast greens and a different putter for slow greens. Too bad I was just dog poop off the tee or I woulda really had something going.

This weekend I am off to LA for the first time ever, going to fly the clubs down and squeeze a round in with my fiancee and her aunt and uncle at Los Verdes Golf Course in Rancho Palos Verdes. Looks pretty amazing with the ocean views and whatnot. There's either a lot of competition in the area for golfers or everyone there is jaded by ocean views, because looks like their rack rate is $55 to ride weekends. Pretty hard to find a decent track around here for that... lol. If anyone on here has ever played there before, I'd take a tip or three :)

It’s a muni with great views. Be prepared for a 6 hour round. It’s well worth it just don’t expect anything spectacular.

Our Chicago trip is next weekend, and we're booked at Blackstone on Friday and Cantigny on Saturday. Planning on making a Sunday time at Mistwood.

Any updates on the current conditioning of these three courses? Any worry of aeration in late August?

Blackstone is in prime condition as always, played there 2 weeks ago. Probably the fastest greens of the 3 rounds. Great layout and design and it's always good to be below the hole. They're aerating the second week of September. You might see a bit of wildlife there too as there are several groups of sand cranes with their young ens.

If you can, Cantigny is great with a caddie. Fun layout, always in wonderful conditions and an easy walk on a not so easy course. Top notch practice facilities.

Mistwood is in wonderful conditions as well and also has a great practice facility. After the round if you have a beverage or 3, say hi to Jen and Nikki and tell them Gary said hi. Nikki will probably buy you a beverage. They're both sweethearts.

Sounds like a great trip and schedule!

... I will be playing an outing for The League Of Chicago Theaters Monday at Marengo Ridge. What kind of course will I be playing?

... I will be playing an outing for The League Of Chicago Theaters Monday at Marengo Ridge. What kind of course will I be playing?
I enjoy Marengo Ridge! Front and back are a bit different. Pretty decent conditions usually. Some elevation changes. Greens are usually pretty good as well. It's not nearly Blackstone, but it should be enjoyable for you.

I enjoy Marengo Ridge! Front and back are a bit different. Pretty decent conditions usually. Some elevation changes. Greens are usually pretty good as well. It's not nearly Blackstone, but it should be enjoyable for you.

... Enjoyable sounds great. Thanks for the info.

Our Chicago trip is next weekend, and we're booked at Blackstone on Friday and Cantigny on Saturday. Planning on making a Sunday time at Mistwood.

Any updates on the current conditioning of these three courses? Any worry of aeration in late August?

Mistwood is in great condition, but this weekend is the Club Championship so they might have some times blocked out.

WITB

Ping G430 max 10.5° w/ Ventus blue 70x

Cobra Darkspeed 4 wood w/ 

Kai'li white 70X

Cobra Darkspeed 20° hybrid w/ hzrdus gen4 black 90X

Cobra King tour 4-w with KBS C-taper 130X

Vokey SM9s 50,54,60

Bettinardi inovi 6.0 hive skull and bones

-prov1x

Probably can't fit it in - but if you can and are driving to this area, check out Cinder Ridge. It's right off I-55 (approx. 60 miles s/w of Chicago). Fun, challenging course. Does not have a fancy clubhouse but for $45 can't beat it for pure golf.

I second taking time to go to Cinder Ridge. Played there Monday evening and had a good round. Greens are pretty quick too.

WITB

Ping G430 max 10.5° w/ Ventus blue 70x

Cobra Darkspeed 4 wood w/ 

Kai'li white 70X

Cobra Darkspeed 20° hybrid w/ hzrdus gen4 black 90X

Cobra King tour 4-w with KBS C-taper 130X

Vokey SM9s 50,54,60

Bettinardi inovi 6.0 hive skull and bones

-prov1x

Playing Harbor Shores next week. What should I expect?

Tricked out greens. It's a Nicklaus design after all. Maintenance is excellent and the tour sand is a nice touch. It's not walkable and the routing is kind of all over the place. Holes 7-9 are off Lake Michigan, which is nice. You'll love the practice area. Some of the fairway bunkers are really deep so hitting fairways is a must.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I love this course, have played there more than anywhere else over the last five years even though it is 40 minutes away. However, if you are playing for the first time, you will be a little frustrated with the doglegs where you do not know the distance to the corner. Two holes in particular require you to be in the exact corner of the dogleg in order to advance the ball: Holes 13 and 16. It took me many years to figure out what club to hit at each. Hole 12 also has a 90 degree blind dogleg, you want to be between 220 - 250 off the tee. Hole 13 would be about 240 and hole 16 about 210-220.

Do not expect private country club conditions but it is usually kept pretty nice and the greens roll true. I cannot ever remember a round with excessive waiting, most people out there know how to golf. The beauty of the course is in the surroundings, especially on the back 9. Good luck and enjoy!

We've played a lot of rounds at Marengo Ridge and I agree with most of the comments. Being that it's an outing, a slow round is to be expected. We quit playing it on the weekends because of slow play and that nothing would be done about it. Conditions and greens are usually good unless it's following a lot of rain and then there are some collection areas in low spots. Haven't had the dogleg challenges referenced...but maybe that's just from familiarity.

Think you'll enjoy it and if you're up for 36 that day, you're only about 5 minutes from Blackstone and that's worth the drive.

Probably can't fit it in - but if you can and are driving to this area, check out Cinder Ridge. It's right off I-55 (approx. 60 miles s/w of Chicago). Fun, challenging course. Does not have a fancy clubhouse but for $45 can't beat it for pure golf.

I second taking time to go to Cinder Ridge. Played there Monday evening and had a good round. Greens are pretty quick too.

I was out there Monday (around noon) as well. Had a very strange round for me.

1st hole - good drive then topped my next 2 iron shots for a 6.

4th hole - triple bogey 6.on this easy par 3.

8th hole - birdie. Probably 1st time getting one of this monster par 5.

Front 9 total - 50.

Back 9 total - 40. Bridie on the 15th and on the last hole skipped a 3 wood clear across the pond and ended up with a par.

I get out to this course maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Just wish it wasn't so far away.

15 hcp

... Thanks again guys for the Marengo info. I am being comped by a friend that needed a 4th so I gotta hang around after the round for the food and awards. Not worried about pace of play as I have nowhere else to be and expect it too be a long day because my 3 pards are all high index players.

Front 9 total - 50.

Back 9 total - 40. Bridie on the 15th and on the last hole skipped a 3 wood clear across the pond and ended up with a par.

I get out to this course maybe 2 or 3 times a year. Just wish it wasn't so far away.

Does the website/pictures not do this course justice? I am playing weaverridge sunday morning and was thinking about stopping somewhere on the way back. I have never heard of Cinder Ridge, so I looked it up and it looks ok I guess?

Front 9 total - 50.

Does the website/pictures not do this course justice? I am playing weaverridge sunday morning and was thinking about stopping somewhere on the way back. I have never heard of Cinder Ridge, so I looked it up and it looks ok I guess?

No, it's a good course but I don't think of it as being particularly special. It has some nice holes and the greens are interesting without having tons of undulation. Personally, I think Heritage Bluffs in Channahon is a better course. In my opinion, I'd probably rank the courses off of I 55 like this:

1. Dubs

2. Mistwood

3. Heritage Bluffs

4. Bolingbrook

5. Ruffled Feathers

6. Big Run

7. Cinder Ridge

8. Cog 2

9. Prairie Bluff

10. Naperbrook

11. Springbrook

12. Cog 1 and 3

13. Getting hit by a bus

14. Carriage Greens

Personally, I'd recommend playing Coyote Creek in Bartonville if you've got the time. It was designed by Bruce Borland, who was Nicklaus' protege but died in the plane crashed that also killed Payne Stewart. There's a mix of really short and long, tight par 4s. The greens are very well-maintained and pretty quick. There's lots of ravines so I wouldn't recommend walking it. Overall, I was really impressed when I played it earlier this year.

Piretti Cottonwood II

The Cinder Ridge website is archaic. If you are in the area, it will be worth your while. I know a number of single digit cappers who love this course. On most of the par 4s and 5s, the fairways are somewhat generous, but if you hit a wayward drive, good luck finding the ball. Greens are usually cut short and are usually in decent shape. Another plus is not usually crowded.

When out on the course, you feel you are out in the country - no houses. Find it very peaceful,

15 hcp