2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

Yesterday we played Ledges and Glen Erin. Glen Erin was glorious as always. Conditions were excellent, pace was okay, and everyone who I saw was playing from the correct tees except for the group behind us who was bombing drives from the markers at 5700 yards. I guess they wanted every par 4 to be driver-wedge. The 5's there are beastly (570, 590, and 600 yards) so I get not playing the back tees but...moving on. I had birdies on 8 and 17, and making bird on a 438-yard 4 isn't usually my game so I was excited. 76.

We played Ledges first and it was easily the weirdest weather round I've had all year. There was extremely dense fog throughout the first 7 holes and no one could see more than 10-15 yards in front of him. I've played the course 5 or 6 times so I basically knew where to hit, but two people in our group had never been there. At least it doesn't cost much to play because in those conditions I wouldn't spend more than the $22 I had to put up. As always, the course was in good shape tee to green but the greens themselves were slow. In the past, they Stimp at like a 4 but yesterday it was about a 6.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

How many rounds do you have this year? It appears you're having a very busy summer.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

How many rounds do you have this year? It appears you're having a very busy summer.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I started keeping track of how much I played when I moved to Chicago, in spite of my fiance for living in the city. Before I moved here 4 years ago I worked in golf and played or practiced 5/6 times a week. The first couple years of living here I played less than 25 total rounds. We moved to the suburbs last year and so far this year I am at 49, so will probably end up around 70. Can't complain about that. Working from home has helped this year. I am interested, How many rounds do you play a year?

Those were rounds 69 and 70 for me this year. Being pretty much any kind of teacher opens doors for lots of summer golf. I went back to work yesterday, so I now resume weekend only golf. I long for the days when I got the Jewish holidays off. It was my last hope for weekday golf in the Fall.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Sunday was my 71st round of the year. I played 65 rounds by this time last year. I'm on track for another 100+ round season unless we get some really bad weather this fall.

I've played 67 different courses this season, with 49 being first time visits. That brings my total up to 479 courses. I'll very likely hit #500 in the spring.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

... Sheesh, why didn't you guys tell me to shield my eyes when I passed Blackstone? After seeing that, Marengo was a such let down. While I play courses with light rough masquerading as fairways, it is always disappointing to play a new one. Rained off and on and the rough was just silly thick as well as those shaggy fairways. Hard to complain about a free round in an outing, but not a course I would drive an hour to play. We shot 69 and lost by 4 strokes using about 95% of my shots because I was playing with 3 actors that are all 18+ guys and one of them lost 11 balls LOL. It was still a fun day and I will be coming back up at sometime to play Blackstone..

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

... Sheesh, why didn't you guys tell me to shield my eyes when I passed Blackstone? After seeing that, Marengo was a such let down. While I play courses with light rough masquerading as fairways, it is always disappointing to play a new one. Rained off and on and the rough was just silly thick as well as those shaggy fairways. Hard to complain about a free round in an outing, but not a course I would drive an hour to play. We shot 69 and lost by 4 strokes using about 95% of my shots because I was playing with 3 actors that are all 18+ guys and one of them lost 11 balls LOL. It was still a fun day and I will be coming back up at sometime to play Blackstone..

Haha. I was going to say something to you about it, but then read you were playing Marengo Ridge as part of a scramble. I hate Marengo Ridge. Partly due to the course and partly for kicking myself for playing it with Blackstone literally yards away.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Sunday was my 71st round of the year. I played 65 rounds by this time last year. I'm on track for another 100+ round season unless we get some really bad weather this fall.

I've played 67 different courses this season, with 49 being first time visits. That brings my total up to 479 courses. I'll very likely hit #500 in the spring.

I don’t know if I’ll hit 100 this year. I played a lot more last year at this time and things really cooled off for me once work started up again. My wife asked me to keep track of how much I spend for each round so I could add it up at the end of the year. That was a mistake I won’t be repeating next year.

Piretti Cottonwood II

I don't know if I'll hit 100 this year. I played a lot more last year at this time and things really cooled off for me once work started up again. My wife asked me to keep track of how much I spend for each round so I could add it up at the end of the year. That was a mistake I won't be repeating next year.

Lol. Tell her it could be worse. You are certainly a budget golfer, walking most rounds, playing weekdays, taking advantage of special rates, and staying local. I generally finish the year with 5 or 6 out of town trips requiring a flight and rental car, and 3 to 4 driving trips. With the flights, rental cars, hotels, green fees, meals, and equipment, I push 10k a year easily.

I'll always have a soft spot for Marengo Ridge because I once had an ace on the 11th hole there. However, if the choice is playing there or Blackstone, it's not really a choice at all. That said, if someone lost 11 balls at MR, he would've lost significantly more at Blackstone.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Schaumburg Golf Club today for the second time this year. I liked this course the first time. Even though I grew up in the area, I never played the course. This afternoon I got paired with two of their assistant pros who are in their early to mid 20s. Both of them post here, but I think one primarily buys and sells clubs. The guys were very good players. One of them had it to -5 before stumbling a little. He still shot around 69 if I remember correctly and made pretty much every putt inside of 15 feet. Schaumburg is regrassing one of the 9s, so it is out of commission until May of next year. I drove the ball exceptionally well, but couldn't buy a putt on the wet greens. It was fun playing with these guys and to see how good they are. They will make great head pros one day I'm sure.

I'm on vacation this week and heading to Harbor Shores tomorrow. Looking forward to the journey.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I'll always have a soft spot for Marengo Ridge because I once had an ace on the 11th hole there. However, if the choice is playing there or Blackstone, it's not really a choice at all. That said, if someone lost 11 balls at MR, he would've lost significantly more at Blackstone.

... Actors, sigh. He would have lost those 11 balls on an Ohare runway LOL. Some shots off the toe, as in the toe of the club not the face as well as skied balls hit off the crown and toe that just disappeared. The irony is my good friend that invited me said on the first tee "We will be using almost all of Sam's shots because none of us are very good" and Ron replied "Speak for yourself. I plan on playing better than both of you two actors put together". LOL the boastful pride of a theater actor, as were all 3 of my pards. I have not done theater in 25 years because it doesn't pay and the hours are brutal. But good guys and a fun day all things considered. Although I would not make that drive again to play Marengo for free.

... Gonna play Mistwood today. I have not played since the renovation so I am really looking forward to walking it.

... Actors, sigh. He would have lost those 11 balls on an Ohare runway LOL. Some shots off the toe, as in the toe of the club not the face as well as skied balls hit off the crown and toe that just disappeared. The irony is my good friend that invited me said on the first tee "We will be using almost all of Sam's shots because none of us are very good" and Ron replied "Speak for yourself. I plan on playing better than both of you two actors put together". LOL the boastful pride of a theater actor, as were all 3 of my pards. I have not done theater in 25 years because it doesn't pay and the hours are brutal. But good guys and a fun day all things considered. Although I would not make that drive again to play Marengo for free.

... Gonna play Mistwood today. I have not played since the renovation so I am really looking forward to walking it.

If you enjoy a post round libation and meet Jen or Nikki, tell them Gary from McQ's said hi.

Love Mistwood. Had a hole in 1 on 14. Surprisingly that was 2 years ago and I haven't been back since. Not sure why. I am headed out to Blackstone to see what it is all about tonight.

... Gary, I gave up libations my senior year in college. I don't trust the water either so bring my own along with organic jerkey/nuts/fruit so I never see the cart girls either. Although I used to teach with Dan Phillips at Remington Lakes Driving range before they moved the log cabin to BGC and he moved to Mistwood, so hopefully I bounce into him.

I'm playing the East course at White Pines for the first time on Saturday morning. I haven't been to WP in over 10 years. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings? It's f'in ridiculous that I even have to ask the question.

I'm playing the East course at White Pines for the first time on Saturday morning. I haven't been to WP in over 10 years. Do they allow walking on weekend mornings? It's f'in ridiculous that I even have to ask the question.

don't do it Arg! Go play somewhere better. I know you want to play every course, but if you already played the other course at White Pines I think that counts as playing both. heck, if you've gone to the golf dome there offseason I'd be willing to count that as playing White Pines.

don't do it Arg! Go play somewhere better. I know you want to play every course, but if you already played the other course at White Pines I think that counts as playing both. heck, if you've gone to the golf dome there offseason I'd be willing to count that as playing White Pines.

Lol. Honestly, it's extremely difficult to get a decent weekend tee time on a decent course this time of the year. I looked at all the usual suspects, and one either tees off at 6:30 am (or earlier), or after 11 am. I'll cancel if I can find an alternative by Friday morning.

I'm officially a Blackstone believer. Wow, place is awesome. I would have it in my top 3 in Illinois public, I truly believe that. Shot a 76, putting on those greens is such a treat. Played in just under 2 hours passed a 5 some (?) On 3 and a twosome on 15. I was in the car there and back longer than I was on the course. I can't wait to go back.

Made it out to Harbor Shores today. Sat through two different construction zone traffic jams and got stuck behind a freight train right in front of the course for what seemed like 15 minutes. Gosh I hate waiting, especially for golf. Very nice practice facilities and range. The first First Tee facility I've seen and there were a bunch of kids there with instructors which was neat to see. Harbor Shores plays host to the KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship every other year. Designed by Nicklaus which means it is usually difficult and long. Oddly enough Harbor Shores only tops out at 6850 from the tips. You can't walk this course because the holes are more spread apart than I've seen on a course in some time. On a few holes we drove for what seemed like half a mile between them. The greens are heavily sloped and they can put the pins in diabolical positions. Got paired up with three other guys and we had a great time. I've been driving a ball like a maniac lately. Strengthened my right hand grip and I've been driving the ball incredibly. Lots of different types of holes at Harbor Shores: short, long, uphill, downhill, doglegs both ways, somewhat blind tee shots and holes that are mostly wide open. Not a ho-hum course by any means. Harbor Shores is a second shot golf course. There's plenty of room to drive the ball, but if you want any chance at scoring, the ball has to be in the right quadrant of the green. While the course is right by Lake Michigan, you can only see it for a few holes on the front and the Lake doesn't come into play. The pin positions were just impossible. Shot 40 on the front, but birdied 3 of the last 4 to wind up shooting 75. Course was in pretty good shape, but more spike marks than I have ever seen near the pins. First-class service and well worth the price I paid.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I believe Harbor Shores was originally a ho-hum 9 hole course. The city bought some brown-field sites, and asked Jack to do something with it. That somewhat explains the strange routing, as it was never intended to be a golf course. I think he did a great job, even though it's not quite walkable. I especially like the fact that they plopped a brewpub near the 14th tee. :drinks:

Played Big Run yesterday. Course was in very good condition. Played as a 2some and got thru the front 9 real quick. Waited on every shot in the back nine. As usual play better when the pace is quick (42 in the front) and play like cr+p (47 in back) when the pace is slow. Can't complain shooting an 89 at 6700 yds. It may very well be the 1st time I ever broke 90 on this course.

Just a perfect day weather wise.

15 hcp

Getting out to play my 3rd of 6 allotted rounds at Crystal Tree on Saturday morning. As a social member I'm only allowed to play 6 times per year. It's funny because at the start of the year I was trying to figure out how I would ration out the 6 and now I'm trying to find a way to get them in. With a 4 and a 6 year old getting out even once a week has been tough. I have to sneak this round in early before a 3 hour soccer tournament in the afternoon.

I got in a round after work at Steeple Chase this afternoon. I was sandwiched in between foursomes of teenagers trying to make the golf team at Libertyville High School (one per group could really play; the others had about as much game as I had in high school), but I played in about 3.5 hours so pace wasn't an issue at all. Ball striking was really strong and the course was in great shape, as always. Steeple Chase might be the only near-6900 yard course I play where I hit mostly three wood off the tee, but when I needed my driver (6, 8, 13, 15), it cooperated. No birdies, which was kind of aggravating given all the burnt edges, but I finished with a 75.

Piretti Cottonwood II

Best course(s) near Elmhurst? Kind of an odd area with not many great courses...?

Medinah? :taunt:

You're right, it's slim pickings. If it wasn't for the mediocre conditioning, one would likely say The Preserve at Oak Meadows.

Glendale Lakes isn't too shabby.