2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

I have an opportunity to play Riverside with a group (at a somewhat significant cost). Any input on the quality and conditioning of the course? Is the layout fun/interesting/challenging? Does it resemble any other area courses?

Edit: in summary...is it a must-play, or simply another good course to check off the list?

> @DeeBee30 said:

> I have an opportunity to play Riverside with a group (at a somewhat significant cost). Any input on the quality and conditioning of the course? Is the layout fun/interesting/challenging? Does it resemble any other area courses?

Riverside is one of the oldest clubs in Chicago and a classic tree lined design. Have only played it once and it was in excellent condition but that was years ago. If I remember, it only has 2 par 5's and I think they're back to back, maybe 8-9 or 9-10. I'm a fan of the old school courses...probably because I'm old...and went to school. The only thing that was a negative is you can see a lot of traffic on a few holes. Where Medinah hides roads pretty well, Riverside doesn't. Not sure of the cost but if the first digit after the dollar sign is a 1, it might be a good investment.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> I have an opportunity to play Riverside with a group (at a somewhat significant cost). Any input on the quality and conditioning of the course? Is the layout fun/interesting/challenging? Does it resemble any other area courses?

>

> Edit: in summary...is it a must-play, or simply another good course to check off the list?

I drive past that course daily, and from a distance it always looks to be in great shape, haven't played it though. Would love to hear your thoughts if you do.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> Psyched for a last minute overnight hitter behind the Cheddar Curtain. Mammoth Dunes tomorrow and Lawsonia Links Thursday.

>

> Does anyone have recent info re the condition of MD vs SV?

Nice!! Have fun. No recent info on conditions, but it was great about a month or so ago when I played there. I think one green had been aerated, otherwise everything was pretty fast and firm, don't see why it would have changed since then, conditions have been just about perfect for courses since.

> @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> Psyched for a last minute overnight hitter behind the Cheddar Curtain. Mammoth Dunes tomorrow and Lawsonia Links Thursday.

>

> Does anyone have recent info re the condition of MD vs SV?

You'll love MD. In the off chance you happen to stray into the fescue on the left of the bunkers on 10 and find a KSig with a **red stripe**, it's mine. Only ball our caddie had EVER been unable to find, thank you. BTW, be careful with your approach to that green as it doesn't hold very well. And on 14, start your drive about 30 yards right of the green and there is a funnel that will move your ball to the green

Of course, I hit that speed slot on 14, it funneled to the front edge and I 3 putted for par. VNutz blew his drive about 30 yards over the green on the same line and made birdie. Explains everything.

@PuttCurseRepeat - ditto on VNutz's comments based on my mid-May trip to play both. I will say MD was more lush, both in terms of "green-ness" and the length of FW grass in particular. There were a number of tee shots that stopped on down/side slopes when it seemed like they should have run further down if the fairways were cut a little tighter. SV seemed to have more runout on driver shots due to what appeared to be less dense and shorter fairway grass. On both tracks, the areas around the greens were very tightly mown, so you have the option of putting vs chipping (though that's easier on MD than SV). Also, try to pay attention to the significant slopes of the MD greens...they'll often funnel the ball hard towards or away from the hole depending on pin placement and landing spot.

Pro (cheapskate) tip: unless you're a fan of buying yardage books, just go to their online course guide before you play and save each hole image to your phone (or print the pdf). I still haven't found an app that has the courses mapped, and the hole images are very helpful to have - especially on some of the MD tee shots where the sight lines aren't obvious from the tee box. The books they sell contain the **exact same** images that are online: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/576025fa22482e70f0278a4d/t/5cafa7d07817f7c9673f0a6d/1555015644415/MammothDunes+Course+Guide.pdf

> @DeeBee30 said:

>

> Edit: in summary...is it a must-play, or simply another good course to check off the list?

I played it last year (a charity scramble). I thought I left my impressions in this thread, but can’t find the post, so maybe I skipped the “review” altogether. From what I remember, it’s your typical old school tree lined layout. IF I were to pay for a casual round there, I wouldn’t want to spend more than $100 (just so I could cross it of the list).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

I played Chalet Hills and GCI today. The first few holes at Chalet were really soggy but the greens were smooth and consistent and the course dried out considerably once I got away from the low spots on 1-3. Ball striking on the front was a mess for me, but I only had 11 putts and was able to scramble enough to make the turn at one over. After bogeying 10, I started making more conventional pars on the back and finished with a 75.

It's been said this season by other people but parts of GCI are in rough shape. The holes clearly don't get moved all that much and the putting surfaces on a few holes were very chewed up. Tee to green it was alright, though GCI will always be among the most boring layouts in the area. The rough was super thick in some spots but thin in others while the fairways were running out some. For whatever reason, I play extremely well at GCI. They sent everyone off the back, which was nice since 10 is more of a conventional opener than 1. Parring 11 always feels like a minor victory, though it took driver-five wood-five wood to get there. I had three bogies (13, 1, and 5) and two birdies (16 and 18) for a 72.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > Psyched for a last minute overnight hitter behind the Cheddar Curtain. Mammoth Dunes tomorrow and Lawsonia Links Thursday.

> >

> > Does anyone have recent info re the condition of MD vs SV?

>

> You'll love MD. In the off chance you happen to stray into the fescue on the left of the bunkers on 10 and find a KSig with a **red stripe**, it's mine. Only ball our caddie had EVER been unable to find, thank you. BTW, be careful with your approach to that green as it doesn't hold very well. And on 14, start your drive about 30 yards right of the green and there is a funnel that will move your ball to the green

>

> Of course, I hit that speed slot on 14, it funneled to the front edge and I 3 putted for par. VNutz blew his drive about 30 yards over the green on the same line and made birdie. Explains everything.

I'll be playing the k-sig today, myself, so there is a good chance that yours will have some company by sunset.

Interesting to hear that MD is more "lush" than SV. I played SV in 2017 and was just slightly disappointed that the greens were not quite up to snuff. There was a relatively high sand to grass ratio on the but I chalked it up to the fact that this was SV's first full season of operation. I'm curious to see how the turf has matured in the time since my first visit.

• Like 1

I think MD is more lush due to the fact that the fairways are much wider than SV. You look out at a sea of green on many holes. SV is narrower off the tee, and the fescue and waste areas add more brown to the view.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Well, I'm now faced with a choice between Riverside GC and River Forest CC tomorrow afternoon. Different groups of guys - both fun to play with. I guess that's first-world golf problems.

Anyone able to compare/contrast those two courses?

Update: it’s gonna be River Forest tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Anybody interested in joining me at Tanna Farms this Saturday morning (7:25 am - 7:50 am)? $30 w/ cart.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> Anybody interested in joining me at Tanna Farms this Saturday morning (7:25 am - 7:50 am)? $30 w/ cart.

>

That's pretty cool. They're paying you $30 to play there. Interesting.

• Like 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

> @jimwgt26 said:

> I’m driving to Cincinnati Friday after work. What are the best options (besides Lost Marsh) off 94 or 65 in Indiana?

Sandy Pines in De Motte is a pretty decent track along that route. The question is whether you can get there with enough daylight....it's about 30 mins South of Merrillville, about 7 miles off of I-65.

The Birck Boilermaker courses in Lafayette (~2:15 drive) are very nice, but yeah, daylight is going to be an issue. What time are you leaving?

Well, it's time for what's turning out to be nearly a monthly travel course request. Any Chicago guys have experience with the Austin, TX golfing scene and care to weigh in? I've already hit up the Austin WRX crew and I think I got some good recommendations...now I need to narrow it down. I'm traveling to Austin mid-July and expect to be able to play 36-54 over 4 days (36 on a Wed, then 18 on Fri or Sat). Here's the current short list:

* Falconhead

* Wolfdancer

* Avery Ranch

* Teravista

* Shadowglen

* Star Ranch

Some private or semi-private clubs were also mentioned and I'm investigating whether I could even get on, but I may not need them since there are 6 to choose from above:

* Barton Creek-Canyons

* Lost Creek

* UT Club

* Onion Creek

* River Place

As always, I'm looking for fun/interesting/challenging layouts, great conditioning, and a decent price point ($40-$80, preferably). Any strong recommendations?

The three Barton Creek courses are all worth the visit. Canyons is probably the best of the bunch, followed by Crenshaw Cliffside. 'Very unlikely you're going to get them cheap, though, as I believe they require a stay at the Omni.

Falconhead was very good. I liked the front 9 on Wolfdancer, but the latter part of the back nine was meh.

Twilight round at Cantigny, woodside/hillside. We manage to get it in just before the heavens opened up, it did drizzle on us on the 18th hole just to make sure the tradition of being rained on during the golf round happened. Great day for scoring with dry fairways, short rough and no wind. I was firing darts with my irons, in the first 9 I had 7 looks at 10 feet or less for birdie and unfortunately only made one and managed to three putt one. It's a great deal at the twilight rate of $67, however I would have been pretty ticked if I paid the full $115, bunkers had zero sand (which was great in the fairway bunkers) and the greens were probably the worst greens I've played this year (and I played a round at Joe Louis). Still a beautiful course and a great round of golf today.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @DeeBee30 said:

> > @jimwgt26 said:

> > I’m driving to Cincinnati Friday after work. What are the best options (besides Lost Marsh) off 94 or 65 in Indiana?

>

> Sandy Pines in De Motte is a pretty decent track along that route. The question is whether you can get there with enough daylight....it's about 30 mins South of Merrillville, about 7 miles off of I-65.

Harrison Hills just north of Lafayette is a great value at $30. It's a Langford design that was rated something like the number 8 course in Indiana. I really enjoyed Bear Slide outside of Noblesville (interesting faux links front and woodlands/parkland back) but that's a bit further off 65. Same with Purgatory, which I haven't played but which looks awesome. The Legends is right off 65 in Franklin, IN, which is south of Indy. Pricy but very good.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Purgatory is a blast. The fescue is brutal. Harrison Hills is very good, but the front nine is rather bland. I believe it was a late add on, and feels out of character with the back nine. 'Still worth a visit, though.

If you think there's enough daylight, The Brickyard in Indy is top notch, and Prairie View in Carmel, IN, is no slouch.

I play in Indianapolis a few times a year and am down there a lot. If you are leaving earlier enough and that south is an option then Prairie View and Purgatory are great options. On the route to Cincinnati, I would say those 2 + the fort and the Purdue Course are the best. I have somehow yet to play The Brickyard.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @PuttCurseRepeat said:

> > Psyched for a last minute overnight hitter behind the Cheddar Curtain. Mammoth Dunes tomorrow and Lawsonia Links Thursday.

> >

> > Does anyone have recent info re the condition of MD vs SV?

>

> You'll love MD. In the off chance you happen to stray into the fescue on the left of the bunkers on 10 and find a KSig with a **red stripe**, it's mine. Only ball our caddie had EVER been unable to find, thank you.

Well, I wasn't on the 10th hole, but almost unbelievably, I reached into the crate of balls on the range next to Craig's Porch before our round, and sitting on top of the pile of Taylormade range balls was...

a K-sig.

With a red stripe.

Actually a red stripe with a shorter, parallel red stripe on each side. Of course I pocketed this ball and will post a picture, when I return, for positive identification. Btw, I think the ball may be cursed, but that's another story. On to Lawsonia this morning!

• Like 1

Played hooky yesterday and met a couple of friends at Blackstone. That course rarely disappoints. Greens and fairways played fast and it was so nice not to need 3 layers of clothes. Although there were quite a few people out there, pace was great, walked in just a hint over 4 hours. Here's a shocker...minimal bugs on a day with no wind. Was expecting the worse especially on the 13, 14, 15 loop but other than a nat or two, nada. Water jugs were filled and overall, just a fun round.

I will be lugging my clubs on a weekend trip to Sheboygan in the near future, just in case I get the itch. The million dollar question...is The Bull worth playing? The other Jack course I played was Harbor Springs and it was a carnival course with the greens, almost took the enjoyment out of the round. Looks like The Bull is over 7300 yards so just wondering how enjoyable it is as far as layout, etc.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Played hooky yesterday and met a couple of friends at Blackstone. That course rarely disappoints. Greens and fairways played fast and it was so nice not to need 3 layers of clothes. Although there were quite a few people out there, pace was great, walked in just a hint over 4 hours. Here's a shocker...minimal bugs on a day with no wind. Was expecting the worse especially on the 13, 14, 15 loop but other than a nat or two, nada. Water jugs were filled and overall, just a fun round.

I could not agree more, impossible to be disappointed with that course. One of the best values around and since it is West, almost never any traffic.

Yes, The Bull is definitely worth playing. It starts out slow, but then picks up when it heads into the trees on the 5th hole.

> @Shriner said:

> I will be lugging my clubs on a weekend trip to Sheboygan in the near future, just in case I get the itch. The million dollar question...is The Bull worth playing? The other Jack course I played was Harbor Springs and it was a carnival course with the greens, almost took the enjoyment out of the round. Looks like The Bull is over 7300 yards so just wondering how enjoyable it is as far as layout, etc.

Absolutely love that place! It's scenic! Great layout and conditions. It can be super hard, especially if the wind kicks up. We usually play the second from the back tees. Great brunch as well.