2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round2)

DavePelz4

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1441297562' post='12257418']
Jealous of all you guys playing so much lately. Been 3+ weeks for me with busy schedules and bad timing with work being busy.
[/quote]

Same here. Haven't had time to plan any outings or take money off Lefty. BTW, it any of you play with him in the near future, there's a $25 bounty to you if you accidently break his driver shaft.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441292568' post='12256910'][quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1441284502' post='12256276']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441281480' post='12256078']
[quote name='Waterboy' timestamp='1441247013' post='12254944']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441220705' post='12252544']
I'm looking for a course in Lake/McHenry County for a round this Sunday afternoon on my way back from Lake Geneva. Anyone have any experience with Antioch Golf Club, Lakemoor, Renwood, or Boone Creek? If they're all goat tracks, I'll likely hit Thunderhawk or Stonewall Orchard.
[/quote]

Which way you coming back? 50 to 94 or weaving down route 12?

Lots of decent options both ways.

You didn't state any decent options. Besides stoner or thunder hawk
[/quote]

I'm in no hurry, so I'd take whatever route necessary to hit one of the courses.
[/quote]

If you go 50 over to 94 you have (in no order):

Shepherds Crook in Zion
Thunderhawk
Willow Glen
Lake Bluff GC
Pine Meadow
White Deer Run

I would take any of those over what you had mentioned.

If you go the Rt 12 path home:
Stonewall
Prairie Isle
Joke Grove
Foxford Hills
Chalet Hills

I guess it depends how far off the beaten path you want to go. I would say McHenry CC since they now allow public play on Sunday PM but they might have a labor day event.

Good Luck. I plan on taking my clubs on in the next week or two for a spin. Its been a long layoff.
[/quote]

I've played all of them except Willow Glen and Prairie Isle. Willow Glen is close enough to downtown that I could play it on a normal weekend. However, they don't allow singles to book online.

Prairie Isle looks nice, and they appear to allow singles to book. Thanks!

I have a nice little weekend planned starting tomorrow morning at Whisper Creek. Marengo Ridge and Abbey Springs on Saturday, and Country Club Estates and Prairie Isle on Sunday.[/quote]
Prairie Isle would be my choice.... It's a good track.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441305164' post='12258120'][quote name='jimwgt26' timestamp='1441299705' post='12257630']
Arg, you can't go wrong Stonewall or Shepherd's Crook. Thunderhawk's on my personal Sh.t list, but its also a good track..
[/quote]

Yes, I've played all three. Excellent courses. I thought I was the only one with a personal sh*t list. Lol.[/quote]

Here's my Sh.t List, with my personal reason. I admit I'm the only one who doesn't like Thunderhawk

1)Lost Marsh-Stupid design
2) Harborside-Customer service issues, and course conditions.
3)Chick Evans-It sucks
4)Winnetka-I spend a lot of time coaching in the area, and the course is way too tight.
5)Thunderhawk- Customer service problems, and it doesn't suit my eye.
6) Highland Park CC. Same reasons as Winettka
8) The Odyssey- It sucks
9) Water's Edge- This one pains me. When it first opened it was in great shape, and I played there frequently. Now, it's mismanaged and in terrible shape.

Wow, you guys are really brutal on poor 'ol Lost Marsh. Is it a top Chicago course? Of course not. Does it have a few quirky holes? Sure, as do most courses. It also has some decent holes that challenge the player, e.g. #2, #3, #6 (w/ pin in back left), #9, #11, #12, #13, #15, and #18.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Boy the word is out on Stonewall- unbelievable amount of ball marks on these greens. Greens rolled fine, not stupid firm and fast and not slow. Just not true with all of the ball marks.
Just finished the round- this is still IMO top 5 public in the state. Just wish it was closer to, well, anything!
Played it from the back tees and it's about 7100. Ran out of gas at the end (should have ate something) but missed a four footer on 18 for birdie and 79. Four bad swings lead to four penalties. Wasn't in the bunkers at all but they sure looked like s***. What's with these courses that charge premium dollar yet have horse s*** bunkers?

[b]B-man's Personal Shyte List[/b]

Pine Meadow :: over-watered, crap layout. Rough overgrown.
Bloomingdale :: compulsory carts on Sat. morns
Arrowhead :: horrific green contours
Big Run :: old time green designs w/major slopes don't work with new time slickness 20 stimpometer readings.
Fresh Meadows :: awesome driving range
Mistwood :: really? It's okay but their ads piss me off.
Dubsdread :: over-rated.
Water's Edge :: refer to Jim above.
Silver Lake (North) :: Shot 63 there one time and my buddy told the pro there and he replied with "I shot 62 last year". Well good for you and see you next Tuesday dick!
Cog Hill (the others) :: goat tracks with cows

To be continued...

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='UCBananaboy' timestamp='1441310484' post='12258696']
Played Cantigny this morning - first time out there this season.

A bit disappointed that they send a twosome walking ahead of us as we made the turn :(. I honestly expect better from a place that is usually run so well.
[/quote]
Similar experience at Stonewall Today- solid fours out there and behind us is a twosome with a single as the group behind them. Damn twosome hit into our group once, sure wish they would've said something be I would've laid into them about making the single stay behind. I could tell by they'd race around if they saw him coming up behind them. Pathetic. I wanted to drive back and ask the single to join us and make four.

Love the Shytle lists! We should pool the lists, and then schedule the outing at the consensus shyte course. That would give us something to talk about through the winter months. :tomato:

Right now it's looking like we'll be playing at Water's Edge in the morning, and Fresh Meadow in the afternoon.

Or, we could schedule a round in the morning at George Dunne, and hopefully be finished by 6 pm.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Man, I'm surprised all of you guys have so many $hit list courses. Maybe I'm just lucky or not too demanding. I usually know what I'm getting into and accept it.

The only one that's on my list is Heritage Bluffs, and that's just because they repeatedly treated my 4some of 20 somethings like complete garbage despite finishing inside their suggested time frame window, when the group of 50 somethings behind us that was 30 minutes slower heard not a word. Won't go back.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1441311322' post='12258802']
Man, I'm surprised all of you guys have so many $hit list courses. Maybe I'm just lucky or not too demanding. I usually know what I'm getting into and accept it.

The only one that's on my list is Heritage Bluffs, and that's just because they repeatedly treated my 4some of 20 somethings like complete garbage despite finishing inside their suggested time frame window, when the group of 50 somethings behind us that was 30 minutes slower heard not a word. Won't go back.
[/quote]

I distinguish between Shyte list courses, and courses I'd simply rather not play. To make the shyte list, the course has to actively do or don't do something to me personally. Basically, poor customer service, pace of play, or policies, e.g. mandatory carts. I'll generally give the course a few chances, but 3 strikes and they're out.

There are courses that I will avoid due to conditioning or layout, but I don't consider them shyte list courses.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441312305' post='12258902']

[/quote]

I distinguish between Shyte list courses, and courses I'd simply rather not play. To make the shyte list, the course has to actively do or don't do something to me personally. Basically, poor customer service, pace of play, or policies, e.g. mandatory carts. I'll generally give the course a few chances, but 3 strikes and they're out.

There are courses that I will avoid due to conditioning or layout, but I don't consider them shyte list courses.
[/quote]

I can't say that I have a Shyte list. I think anytime I can actually play golf is good.

I just have people that work at courses that are shytey people. Its always the same guys at one course that gets decent reviews on this thread. One guy in the club house that takes his job way to seriously and a marshal that thinks he is working the lifeboat lines of a sinking ship.

Do your job, just don't make it seem like your job is equivalent to a dr. saving a persons life.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

For me, pace of play is the main way to get on the shyte list. I don't mean one or two slow rounds. I'm talking about perpetual slow play fed by management stuffing the tee times too close together, and not enforcing the PoP. As a cherry on top, give me lip service about how you enforce the PoP, and then make excuses when I point out that the policies are not being enforced.

Mandatory carts are another. Yeah, I get that you need the revenue, but don't give me an BS about pace of play. If carts helped PoP every carts-only resort course would be boasting about their 3 hour rounds.

Finally, as Waterboy mentions, a few bad apple employees can really ruin a course. I don't need a ranger yelling at me to get back into position when the group in front of us is in the middle of the fairway waiting for the green to clear.

There are ~150 public courses in the area. I can, and do, vote with my wallet.

If I don't shoot under the first time I play a course, it goes on my Shyte List. No questions asked!

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1441307229' post='12258326']
[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1441297562' post='12257418']
Jealous of all you guys playing so much lately. Been 3+ weeks for me with busy schedules and bad timing with work being busy.
[/quote]

Same here. Haven't had time to plan any outings or take money off Lefty. BTW, it any of you play with him in the near future, there's a $25 bounty to you if you accidently break his driver shaft.
[/quote]

I wish I knew that when I played Harborside with him a few weeks ago! :)

[/quote]

You golf with Lefty and me proving you'll play just about anywhere with just about anybody.

I guess I don't keep a shyte list, but definitely have course I won't go back to. That list has been fairly short though. If I have tracked them properly, I have only hit 24 of the Chicagoland courses over the last 4 years. Guess I am a bit lame in that aspect. Not as much diversity as some, though in general, my rounds tend to get limited to about 15-20 a year, for the most part. I have been trying to make an effort to get out more this year, but didn't start hitting the links until July.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1441314535' post='12259166']
For me, pace of play is the main way to get on the shyte list. I don't mean one or two slow rounds. I'm talking about perpetual slow play fed by management stuffing the tee times too close together, and not enforcing the PoP. As a cherry on top, give me lip service about how you enforce the PoP, and then make excuses when I point out that the policies are not being enforced.

Mandatory carts are another. Yeah, I get that you need the revenue, but don't give me an BS about pace of play. If carts helped PoP every carts-only resort course would be boasting about their 3 hour rounds.

Finally, as Waterboy mentions, a few bad apple employees can really ruin a course. I don't need a ranger yelling at me to get back into position when the group in front of us is in the middle of the fairway waiting for the green to clear.

There are ~150 public courses in the area. I can, and do, vote with my wallet.
[/quote]

Totally agreed on all points. Pace of play seems to be one of the biggest issues today and it's the main reason I try to avoid weekend golf anymore if I can unless it's first thing in the AM. So a few weeks back we played Whitetail Ridge, we got what was advertised as a "fast play" time on their site, not only did the course allow a 6some to proceed in front of us but this 7am time took almost an hour past what the card advertises as their pace. I complained to the course and they were all over the complaint at first but then nothing so I won't be paying to play out there anymore.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

played Bridges of Poplar Creek this afternoon for the first time.
enjoyed it, nice compact layout
nice renovation by Lohmann
hydraulic oil on 1st green killed a strip, and then some issues on 10 green, but other than that, it's in good shape.
Nice CDGA special too, $5 off your round and a free bucket of balls.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

First time visit to Whisper Creek in Huntley today. The course is a prairie style course routed through the Sun City retirement community. The course reminds me of Carillon, with the aluminum sided duplexes lining the relatively flat course. Overall it was a decent layout, but I didn't care for 3 of the par 5's that required a forced layup off the tee.

The course was in nice shape, especially given that it's managed by Billy Casper. The greens were quite slow, however. Pace of play was pokey at 4:45, which made for a long day with the heat, humidity, and lack of wind.

I had a great round today. 11 GIRs, and a season high 5 birdies led to a nice 2 under round. Everything was clicking today, which was a nice change of pace from last weekend. 27 putts always helps the cause.

Can't say I'd play the course again. With Blackstone, Bowes Creek, and HoE within 10 miles, the course just doesn't stack up. However, I payed $37 with cart to play on a Saturday morning, so if you're looking for a cheap round, it's a possibility.

[quote name='geochitown' timestamp='1441412512' post='12265418']
played Bridges of Poplar Creek this afternoon for the first time.
[/quote]

I personally enjoy the challenge of Bridges of Poplar Creek. I live like 10-15 minutes away, and usually hit it a couple times a year. The greens tend to run very quick and true. There are some easy holes and some challenges. I was there a couple weeks ago, and yea, the oil damage on 1 is disappointing, and to me, moreso that an employee went the whole 40 yard length of the green before it must have been noticed. I remember there being an issue with 10, but didnt remember what it was. I like the 9th, but I think because I don't hit too long, the dogleg plays right into my landing spot.

That 2nd hole....I can't stand it, only because I don't recall a time that I have played it well. The tee shot, that you will play iron, or maybe hybrid/wood off of, then cross the water to a big green that isn't easy. I just can't put two good shots together on that hole for some reason.

It is a course, with its proximity to my apartment, that I will search for hot deals often, on the days I am golfing, and won't hesitate to go there. There are a couple guys that I have golfed with that despise the place. I don't understand it, but meh, not everyone is going to like the same courses.

[quote name='Buddha' timestamp='1441464329' post='12267602']
Apprenti, I'm at Algonquin and 53. I know we can't be too far apart. If you want to hit up Poplar on a Tuesday or Wednesday, I am game. Other days would really depend on times. Just keep in mind I'm a hack. I know you can put some good scores up :)
[/quote]

Awesome. We'll have to get together this fall, would love to play next week, but I'll be a few thousand miles away. Going to Italy Monday and back on the 21st.

3.5 hr 18 at Pine Meadow this morning. The greens are in great shape, as nice as they've been in years. I played the blue tees, usually I play the golds, but the guys I played with wanted to play there. Played really well on the shorter course, 75 with only 1 birdie (patting myself on the back):)

Has anyone played in the St. Charles area lately? I'm heading "home" (been a couple years!) in a few weeks and looking to get out someplace, probably with my father-in-law.
We have a place in Naperville but since we haven't been back home for awhile we decided to rent it out. Renters just left after being in there for a year and I need to get back and check on the house (hopefully not much damage!). My inlaws live in St. Charles and my father-in-law mentioned playing.
Cantigney is usually in good shape, so not too worried about them. Anyone been out at Mill Creek lately? How about Prairie Landing, Pheasant Run, St. Andrews, Klein Creek?
What about the Dump / Settler's Hill? Father-in-law said Orchard Valley is in good shape.
Any recommendations? Any stripper tournaments planned for Country Lakes next month?? ;)
Thanks in advance....

T,

Orchard Valley was said to be good recently, I didn't play it, but it's hard to believe consider the way I saw it the past few years. Prairie Landing had some renovation recently. Klein Creek has never been bad, never great, pretty consistent every time I've played it. Mill Creek is slipping from what I've heard. Settlers has had issues the past few years during rainy seasons, but I think they worked on that, can't guarantee it though. Country Lakes, as many memories as I have from there, don't think I'd return even if they had said outings. Last I heard was that it was technically open but looked closed, like a field of dandelions.

2 of the better new public courses in the area are in Elgin, Highlands of Elgin and Bowes Creek. Both are pretty nice tracks, nicer than anything in the area I've played in a while. And further out is Blackstone in Marengo, which I love.