2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Monte - Drive for dough

Millwrong

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not kidding when I say this, but Monte's driver video completely solved my bunker problems.

I was ready to drive 8 hours to SoCal just to show off my new bunker'ing skillz to Monte in person. He would be so proud.

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

The "separate the shoulder from the chin" move is awesome. I've been to a couple of Monte's clinics and have struggled with stopping the upper body movement toward the target in the downswing. The shoulder move seems to be the right feel to help me get my arms forward and keep the head back. The amount of information in this video is incredible - money well spent.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

The "separate the shoulder from the chin" move is awesome. I've been to a couple of Monte's clinics and have struggled with stopping the upper body movement toward the target in the downswing. The shoulder move seems to be the right feel to help me get my arms forward and keep the head back. The amount of information in this video is incredible - money well spent.

I had a major breakthrough in my swing months back when Monte told me this. Not something you'd think of but its so simple

I had a major breakthrough in my swing months back when Monte told me this. Not something you'd think of but its so simple

That was a key I picked up on as well, was hitting the ball very well tonight with this move at the top. Making much better solid contact with less effort it seems.

But...

I still just can't figure out how to get my weight shifted properly, I'm beginning to think I just don't have the athletic prowess for golf, or coordination or something. :(

6'2 240 lbs and get get the damn 24 hybrid past 160 consistently. PW is 100, and driver if I'm lucky to 220. My self diagnosis is that I feel like I'm spinning out.

I feel like Chevy Chase in this scene... I just cannot get left...

[media=]

[/media]

I had a terrible range session last night with the driver,with the biggest issue being heel contact. So against Monte's advice I watched the first part when I got home. Luckily I've watched many Monte videos on YouTube so this was more culmination of all that learning into one concise yet comprehensive overview of the swing.

Returned to the range today with just a few things to work on and immediately remembered some of the feels I had tried in past that worked well. After a small bucket I was making much better contact. Typically I call it quits after one small bucket because things typically go downhill if I try too many things at once. Well someone left a full bucket of balls so I decided to hit half to see what I could find in the rabbit hole. Even more improvement and regained a lot of the distance I've lost over the past month or two trying too many changes. I'll keep building on this for a week or two then watch part 2.

Here's my review:

I had already bought the use the bounce and wedges video.

As I started to watch the film I thought: "Well there is nothing really new here that we haven't been told" if you follow Monte's philosophy, posts and videos during the last years. In a certain way yes this is true. If it wasn't it was because Monte has changed his ideas or was now selling snake oil.

But well, as the movie goes by you just have to accept that there is no any other material online, books, magazines, dvd's etc that provides you so much information. All the information you need in a fair simple way. It connects all the dots, all the drills, all the faults all the mechanics, all the doubts...

It's sick (in a good way) how much into detail this video goes. Obviously you will have to filter and start easy with the swing thoughts, work on two things maximum at a time (as Monte says). It will also help if you know your flaws so you need to be careful you don't get lost.

Its a full detail swing clinic. Gladly for those who are unable to travel to see Monte this is a chance for the real deal. For a very very reasonable and fair price. It could not be cheaper than the 50 bucks because its worth it.

You can forget the magazines, you can forget the books, the golf channel swingfix, the Haneys, the Foleys, etc because everything is on this video is all you need. So in someway it will help you to be on tracks again if you are lost with plenty of information, this can channel you in the right way.

This is going to be your golf swing bible.

When it comes to practice now. It definitely wont be easy. But if you care or at least want to get anywhere you can spend your next month, 2, 6, 12 months shaping your swing while keeping an eye on this film. Just get to know your swing better, your flaws and this will help you.

Again it's worth every penny. Who know you might not need another lesson if you understand things properly and if you have a way of evaluating yourself, filming / friend etc. ( I think you still need lessons but who knows this really gets you on track)

Plenty of material to work on, you just have to know, accept you flaws and be patient while working on them.

Hopefully this will help me get somewhere, I will work on it and want to believe it will get me somewhere better in the future.

Good job Monte and good luck to all the players out there who are trying to get better

I think there should have been 10 minutes of Monte smoking driver with the Protracer graphics. Just sayin'.

Great idea. My video guy wanted to do that. I wanted as little "Look how awesome I am" as possible.

Then why the freshly frosted, spiky hair tips? ?

Just kidding Monte. Have watched #1 and so far is excellent! Plus at nearly 50 your hair is spectacular ??

Quick review:

I generally like Monte's material and the way he communicates ideas, so I thought I would support him for all the free advice he gives on the boards here.

I like the video, and it will serve as a great refresher/reference because one of the recurring themes is not to get into extremes in one way or the other. Usually I get into trouble when I am trying to over-complicate things or get "extreme" feels or looks.

It's about 1/3 "faults and fixes" and 2/3 describing how the swing works and a window of parameters to adhere to. More of a reference guide and not a method, so it offers information you you can use to help yourself on just about every facet of the full swing.

I already pulled a few things out that are dead simple and I'm sure will really help but I suppose I'm not smart enough to think of them first. Lately, I have been trying so hard to keep my arms in front of me, I did not realize that a by-product of that was that my shoulder turn was getting shallower and shallower. I really appreciated the discussion on width and depth, and the simple key of thinking "right shoulder behind head" is a good one for me.

All in all, a very well done video with all of Monte's full swing philosophy/thoughts in one place. Thumbs up.

That was a key I picked up on as well, was hitting the ball very well tonight with this move at the top. Making much better solid contact with less effort it seems.

But...

I still just can't figure out how to get my weight shifted properly, I'm beginning to think I just don't have the athletic prowess for golf, or coordination or something. :(

6'2 240 lbs and get get the damn 24 hybrid past 160 consistently. PW is 100, and driver if I'm lucky to 220. My self diagnosis is that I feel like I'm spinning out.

[media=]

[/media]

Thought I was the only one on this forum that couldn't hit a wedge 150 yards

For a long time my issue has been distance. Playing partners were always saying I needed to hit it further as I'm hitting hybrid or long irons in to greens versus short irons.

Thing is chasing distance never worked. The video showed my I was trying to create power in all the wrong places. I didn't have a transition as as soon as I got to the top of try swinging out of my boots from the top and this lead to more and more issues.

Two ranges sessions in and I've added zero yards. Thing is that's fine. What I've found is now I'm hitting it the same distance and it feels like I'm using 30-40%/of the effort. The femur down feel is the one working most for me as I now have an actual transition.

When I try to swing harder I fall back into the old habbit so I know I need to work at it so ingrains.

It feels like I'm building the foundation and I can then work on adding the speed. The bonus in the meantime is I'm hitting it far more solidly and consistently.

I really do things this is an essential video for all levels but like Monte himself says it's gonna take time

Monte (or associated production/sales staff),

I started watching D4D during a conference call at work this afternoon (can you repeat that question? I was multitasking...)

Getting into the meat of it with the kinematic sequencing stuff and the video froze.

Tried it on the media options I have available (Quicktime and Windows Movie Player) and it consistently freezes, quits, or restarts at 1:09:26.

I replied to the sales email address that the download link came in, but I don't know if that email is monitored or not.

Below is the content of that email:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Driver: Callaway Paradym 8* (draw, std) - GD ADXC 7x

3 wood: Taylormade SIM 15* - GD ADDI 7x

5 wood: Ping G30 18* - Diamana Blue 83x

Irons: 3-5 Taylormade 2014 TP MC (2* weak);  6-PW Taylormade 2014 TP MB (1* weak) - Project X 6.5

SW: Scratch 54* bent to 53* - Ctaper 130x

LW: Scratch 58* bent to 59* - Ctaper 130x

Putter: Modified Odyssey 7 w/ welded long slant

Monte (or associated production/sales staff),

I started watching D4D during a conference call at work this afternoon (can you repeat that question? I was multitasking...)

Getting into the meat of it with the kinematic sequencing stuff and the video froze.

Tried it on the media options I have available (Quicktime and Windows Movie Player) and it consistently freezes, quits, or restarts at 1:09:26.

I replied to the sales email address that the download link came in, but I don't know if that email is monitored or not.

Below is the content of that email:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message sent.

If anybody has any issues, the fastest way to get tech support is at:

[email protected]

Thanks

But...

[media=]

[/media]

Ha ha. Love that film, and that scene!

Been doing the all body and passive arm swing for so long.... Some jewels in D4D have finally gotten into my head that both the lower and upper body should be actively participating dance partners dancing in rhythm. Don't know why it has taken me this long to dump the lower body jerk, stall and flip - beating my head against a wall.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Love the video but having major problem trying to implement the bump , in the bump dump and turn section. I get myself into a right mess actively trying to bump to 10.30. It's probably something that should just happen and not think about it while swinging but how do i ingrain it to make it automatic.? I feel its a big piece of the puzzle to allow rooms for the hands and arms.

Love the video but having major problem trying to implement the bump , in the bump dump and turn section. I get myself into a right mess actively trying to bump to 10.30. It's probably something that should just happen and not think about it while swinging but how do i ingrain it to make it automatic.? I feel its a big piece of the puzzle to allow rooms for the hands and arms.

Not sure what your "right mess" is but one thing I have experienced as I try and work through these thoughts and feels is if you are starting to actively emphasize the "bump", without a corresponding increase in the activation/speed of your arms to keep up (using the several choices of thoughts presented in the video), you will get more out of sequence and position, because you are likely spinning the torso faster and plastering your left arm across your chest more. My experience is is that if you are going to start emphasizing a more active hip motion, get it going in tandem with a more active firing of the arms. A problem (at least for me) was getting out of the mental comfort zone of expecting a few more fractions of a second to hit the ball with trailing arms. First time I tried this, I thought everything was happening way too fast!

Golfah - That is my understanding too - more bump / hip turn then you need a corresponding activity with the upper half to be sequenced correctly. That was news to me. I think I need even more of a feel of upper active (at least I know I need to get my right humorous going (righty)) because I have been so passive with the arms, etc. for so long. Hopefully, it's the right light bulb.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Good points .I think i am concentrating so much on moving to 10.30 that i am forgetting to turn torso. And so end up no time to get to ball without severe late turn and straining my back. I need to sync both together i guess.

It's definitely important to sync up. Remember it's a pretty subtle move. You'll have to exaggerate it at first most likely but don't be so focused on it that you don't coordinate your upper body with it.

The bump, dump and turn feel is a disaster for me. Other things Monte suggests that get the same result work. It may be you should "dump" this and find a different idea of Monte's that resonates. Just a thought.

I haven't seen this asked so I apologize if it has, might be a support issue as well? Is there a table of contents or index? Finally watched it all, took 4 nights of on again off again, but how do I know where it all was? The little title captions in Blue are good, but is there a list of them somewhere and I just didn't see it?

Departing for Vegas to pick up my parents car and drive it 22 hours home (don't ask, but was happy to help out with a situation). Will be there just long enough to meet up and get car and go, so no fun or golf.

Point is I have 2 hours uninterrupted to watch part one again. Watched part 2 last night.

Channeling "Vanishing Point" the next couple days.

I haven't seen this asked so I apologize if it has, might be a support issue as well? Is there a table of contents or index? Finally watched it all, took 4 nights of on again off again, but how do I know where it all was? The little title captions in Blue are good, but is there a list of them somewhere and I just didn't see it?

I just scroll through the array at the bottom of the screen on my ipad, takes a second or two.

The bump, dump and turn feel is a disaster for me. Other things Monte suggests that get the same result work. It may be you should "dump" this and find a different idea of Monte's that resonates. Just a thought.

Exactly

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Would "in and extend" work for those with slightly vertical shaft who hold on to the release too long and leave the club open? Asking for a friend...

It could. They just have to make sure the right elbow also works in during the "in" part.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL