2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Official Taylormade M1 Driver Thread

Llortamaisey

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1440886720' post='12231356']
[quote name='Golfnut801' timestamp='1440886170' post='12231320']
Something isn't clicking in your head. Just because I sit down and have a beer with a group of guys other then my friends. Does not mean I know them on a personal basis. We don't talk about life, family, work. We talk about golf and leave. I see those group of guys once or twice a month. And the last time I saw the group of guys. It happen to be about each other's equipment. It's not like we are gonna have a campfire, make s'mores, and sing she'll be comin around the mountain.
[/quote]

Uh, yeah, OK, whatever. Here's a suggestion - next time you sit down with these guys and they start making unjustified complaints about TM or anyone else, try educating them with what you've learned in this thread. :D
[/quote]You can do that for me. Please continue to bang head against wall and play in traffic. It's amazing, I'm not even the one with issues with taylormade. And you want me to educate these guys like there opinions even matter in the real world.

Cobra fly z+ Aldila rogue black
TM aero burner mini driver aldila rogue black
TM R9 3&5 wood stock
2016 mizuno jpx ez 4-gw
Cleveland cg16 50,56,62
Odyssey black series #5

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Golfnut801' timestamp='1440887039' post='12231372']
You can do that for me. Please continue to bang head against wall and play in traffic. It's amazing, I'm not even the one with issues with taylormade. And you want me to educate these guys[b] like there opinions even matter in the real world.[/b]
[/quote]

Let's see. First you say "[color=#282828]The whole point of my post was others didn't like the release cycle which is 6-8 months" and then you follow up by saying their opinions don't matter. T[/color]hen it probably wasn't necessary for you to bring them up here, eh? :)

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

I can tell you our common complaint we hear with TM is the release schedule too.

My theory is they are rushing technology just to get it out there without it being a complete product.

Like the R11 was very good, so they improved with the R11s and it was minimal. But then came the R1 and it was terrible. So instead of just sucking it up and waiting for the R15 to be ready they launched the SLDR. Which felt half complete and any bit of testing could have easily tell them how much ball speed was lost on off center hits.

So now you got some guys leaving the treadmill all together and just finding a new brand. You got the fanboys that will get it no matter what because it's the newest and greatest. You got the guys that love the stuff, and have a driver locked in, but hate that they don't know for sure if the new club is better and are too timid to get the new one.

I have no problem with TM myself. But I'm in the "they rush technology" more than, "their cycle is too short".

WITB 2015:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha, -1 D setting, Speeder 565 S
3WD: Cobra Biocell+ 12.5 degrees, Matrix Black tie
2HY: Cobra Biocell, 16.5D setting, Stock shaft
4/5i: Cobra Biocell, True Temper s+ shaft
6-PW: Biocell+, Dynamic Gold S200
50 Vokey
56 Vokey
Odessey MetalX Milled #2

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1440888140' post='12231436']
I can tell you our common complaint we hear with TM is the release schedule too.

My theory is they are rushing technology just to get it out there without it being a complete product.

Like the R11 was very good, so they improved with the R11s and it was minimal. But then came the R1 and it was terrible. So instead of just sucking it up and waiting for the R15 to be ready they launched the SLDR. Which felt half complete and any bit of testing could have easily tell them how much ball speed was lost on off center hits.

So now you got some guys leaving the treadmill all together and just finding a new brand. You got the fanboys that will get it no matter what because it's the newest and greatest. You got the guys that love the stuff, and have a driver locked in, but hate that they don't know for sure if the new club is better and are too timid to get the new one.

I have no problem with TM myself. But I'm in the "they rush technology" more than, "their cycle is too short".
[/quote]

I definitely find your argument much more compelling than all the other people running around screaming "TM's release cycle is too short, resale value old clubs obsolete blah blah blah".

I get the impression that unlike other manufacturers such as Ping and Titleist, TM rushes their tech out in order to stay a step ahead of their competitors. Whether this is an effective strategy I can't say, but if you look at a company like Titleist, you don't see them coming out with cutting-edge features - they prefer to follow the trends and build on what's out there and popular (i.e., Titleist wasn't the pioneer of adjustable hosels, weights, etc).

Cobra's recent announcement of the King LTD less than a year after the introduction of the Fly-Z+ makes me wonder if they made this decision in order to get a leg up on TM.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1440886124' post='12231312']
[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1440881465' post='12230958']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1440875368' post='12230552']
Nike net worth 67 billion, taylormade alone not even close.....Adidas owns taylormade (well not for long)[/quote]

Nike's golf division is nowhere close to being worth $67B.
[/quote]

Forbes actually has Nike at 26 billion and Adidas at 17 billion as of May of this year...
[/quote]

Nike current market cap 96.31 Billion
Adidas current market cap 13.61 Billion
This is as of market close Friday, these two companies really aren't even playing the same game right now.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1440889640' post='12231544']
This is as of market close Friday, these two companies really aren't even playing the same game right now.
[/quote]

Looking at the market cap of the parent companies doesn't mean much.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1440889890' post='12231560']
[quote name='drake47' timestamp='1440889640' post='12231544']
[/quote]

Looking at the market cap of the parent companies doesn't mean much.
[/quote]

Just setting the record straight for the previously posted numbers. I really don't care otherwise.

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

At what point does the constant bickering of taylormade's release cycle stop, and the product discussion start?

This is the most prevalent conversation to take place, whether it's in the BST, equipment, or instruction, at some point bringing up TMs release cycles and how often they bring new product to the table has to get old right? Or is that just WRX culture? Do we file that under "everyone hits 300 draws and plays to scratch?"

[quote name='jmgonet45' timestamp='1440890762' post='12231642']
At what point does the constant bickering of taylormade's release cycle stop, and the product discussion start?

This is the most prevalent conversation to take place, whether it's in the BST, equipment, or instruction, at some point bringing up TMs release cycles and how often they bring new product to the table has to get old right? Or is that just WRX culture? Do we file that under "everyone hits 300 draws and plays to scratch?"
[/quote]

Actual conversation doesn't exist here...

New Bag in the making...

[/quote]

+1. Take the bitching somewhere else. Let's just discuss the driver.

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1440890986' post='12231666'][quote name='jmgonet45' timestamp='1440890762' post='12231642']

[/quote]

Actual conversation doesn't not exist here...[/quote]

It's ridiculous, on NO OTHER OEM THREAD, does anyone talk about how often clubs are released, marketing strategies, revenue or anything else. Yeah, I play taylormade clubs, the ones that work for me, am I biased to them? Sure...I play what I'm comfortable with, shamelessly.

I don't understand the gain or positive or even negative impact anyone imparts on destroying a thread on nonsense.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1440891168' post='12231678'][quote name='jmgonet45' timestamp='1440890762' post='12231642']

[/quote]

+1. Take the bitching somewhere else. Let's just discuss the driver.[/quote]

With that being said, want to take bets on whether they go back to one movable weight? I feel like they would, but wider.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1440891168' post='12231678']

[/quote]

+1. Take the bitching somewhere else. Let's just discuss the driver.
[/quote]

They'll stop fo a bit once product is out...they will hit it and love it and not say much and enjoy golf or they will hate it and spend the next year bashing product until the next release is out which they will complain about release cycles being too quick.

New Bag in the making...

So Rick Shiels and Peter Finch mention a TM launch event in September during a newly posted NY trip video. Connected somehow?

http://youtu.be/NDlaVk3uk-E

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1440881465' post='12230958']
[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1440875368' post='12230552']
Nike net worth 67 billion, taylormade alone not even close.....Adidas owns taylormade (well not for long)[/quote]

Nike's golf division is nowhere close to being worth $67B.
[/quote]your net worth is your net worth......

[quote name='warfelg21' timestamp='1440888140' post='12231436']I can tell you our common complaint we hear with TM is the release schedule too.

I have no problem with TM myself. But I'm in the "they rush technology" more than, "their cycle is too short".[/quote]

They're not rushing out technology, they're just trying to make as much money as possible. There's no "a ha" discovery between all the different models, they're likely all developed at the same time.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

I for one think the M1 is gonna be great driver! I've played Taylormade drivers and Callaways and a few Titleist along the way. I think they all make great products. But for some reason Taylormade always seems to generate a different buzz when they are about release a driver. We all wanna love or hate it. Can't to test this new one coming out. I for one love new product. Doesn't mean i will buy tho.

[quote name='Interpol' timestamp='1440882402' post='12231026']
[quote name='Golfnut801' timestamp='1440881837' post='12230998']That is the exact point. Taylormade having a 6-8 month release cycle. That seems to be the average for Taylormade. The whole point of my post was others didn't like the release cycle which is 6-8 months.[/quote]

So don't buy their products. If enough people vote with their dollars TM will change their business strategy. Evidently the fact that it's been working for them indicates that you are in the minority.

Complaining about a 6 month release cycle is silly.
[/quote]

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1440893111' post='12231848']So Rick Shiels and Peter Finch mention a TM launch event in September during a newly posted NY trip video. Connected somehow?

http://youtu.be/NDlaVk3uk-E[/quote]

Could be!
Then again, if it's TM related, wouldn't Piers and Andy be talking about it as well?

Regardless, I wish I lived in NY, I've been watching those two for some time. I'd be interested in meeting them

[quote name='BirdieBob' timestamp='1440774402' post='12224092']
Lighter (with carbon fiber put the weight distribution in the head where it helps with).... Faster (ball speed due to new weighting).... longer due to better weight distribution and ball speed.

All others will soon copy. :D
[/quote]

Maybe they'll actually catch up to the G30, but I doubt it.

Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1440896674' post='12232160']
Lighter (with carbon fiber put the weight distribution in the head where it helps with).... Faster (ball speed due to new weighting).... longer due to better weight distribution and ball speed.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think the G30 is a club anyone is "catching up" to...great club, but nothing is far an away superior to anything else...In fact, if you look at the testing early in the season, it was the Fly Z+ and 815 DBD which were the cream of the crop

Just bought the Fly Z+ and really liking what it did on the range with crappy range balls ... can't wait to see tomorrow with New premium golf balls.... May have found a winner. Played all TM for most part, still think the TM R510 DF Proto as the best driver TM ever produced although I really liked the Superfast TP of a few years passed. For each their own I say no one driver is better then another when you really think about it. It's what fits you personally!

Tour Issue TM M2 2016 w/Tensi Pro Blue S60
Tour Issue TM M2 15* w/ Adila ATX Green S
TM HFS 21* W GD TOUR AD di 7S
Cobra Pro mb 4-PW w/ Aldila RIP Tour R hard stepped
Titleist Vokey Proto's 54*,56*,60*
Tour Bettinardi BB0 DASS or
Tour Bettinardi BB1 'H' DASS 353g
Recent Acquisition SWAG Handsome One 
Titleist ProV1 X, TM TP X
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/351901-twshoot67s-bag-and-crazy-collection/page__st__30__p__8092784__hl__+twshoot67#entry8092784"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Jamboy72' timestamp='1440897176' post='12232192']
[quote name='practicetee' timestamp='1440896674' post='12232160']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think the G30 is a club anyone is "catching up" to...great club, but nothing is far an away superior to anything else...In fact, if you look at the testing early in the season, it was the Fly Z+ and 815 DBD which were the cream of the crop
[/quote]
You're right and I couldn't agree more. Joe Kwok said it above - it's 70% shaft and 30% head, but without the multi millions TM throws at the consumer with their ads, how would they sell product?

Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

I will do what most of the Taylormade fans will do and not what the Taylormade trolls think we do. If one of the new drivers interests me, I will try it and see how it performs. If it out performs what I currently bag, I will buy it. If it does not perform, I will not buy it. It is as simple as that.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft