2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Paige Spiranac?

Endres

I don't enjoy how thin her skin appears to be. Anytime someone on social media comments on her barely average skills she gets all defensive and plays the victim game. I don't enjoy seeing people trying to hurt others for no apparent reason, but, if you want the notoriety it comes with the territory. Too weak spirited to ever make it, even if she had good talent.

Too weak spirited? When Jordan or Rickie respond to the haters on social media platforms they are praised by their followers and an article ends up on the Golf Channel and blog sites covering this saying how they "owned them". The girl is 23, most 23 year old girls are dealing with insecurities at that age. Shes been the recipient of some corporate/financial support from the OEM's and golf media, good luck to her, those that complain wouldnt knock back that same support, not even in WRXer land. Instead of everyone mocking her and throwing barbs her way, let her find her way in this game and develop.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't enjoy how thin her skin appears to be. Anytime someone on social media comments on her barely average skills she gets all defensive and plays the victim game. I don't enjoy seeing people trying to hurt others for no apparent reason, but, if you want the notoriety it comes with the territory. Too weak spirited to ever make it, even if she had good talent.

Too weak spirited? When Jordan or Rickie respond to the haters on social media platforms they are praised by their followers and an article ends up on the Golf Channel and blog sites covering this saying how they "owned them". The girl is 23, most 23 year old girls are dealing with insecurities at that age. Shes been the recipient of some corporate/financial support from the OEM's and golf media, good luck to her, those that complain wouldnt knock back that same support, not even in WRXer land. Instead of everyone mocking her and throwing barbs her way, let her find her way in this game and develop.

It's quite simple - she's a very mediocre golfer who has had a lot of attention because of her looks and also skilful promotion. If she was simply a model that would be fine - she'd get absolutely the right kind of respect for her professional modelling, as other models do, and she would deserve it.

But remember we are reading this thread on GolfWRX, not a lifestyle website. Purely as a competitive golfer, which is how she is sold in the media, she's a bit of a nobody and she's going to have to live with that because it's a fact and everybody knows it including her. Her golf skills get conveniently forgotten when there's money being dangled in front of you, but it's not a simple win-win arrangement. There are holes in the bucket and always will be. Rolex rankings don't lie.

You can't compare her to Rickie or Jordan - they're at the top of the game and they know it. Paige has to live with the ambiguity of her situation, and sure - it can't be easy living with any kind of ambiguity going on inside your head at 23 or any other age for that matter. Maybe eccentrics, rock musicians, surrealists and comedians can live with ambiguity but it's a struggle for most other people.

First saw her a year ago, definitely had full swing issues - sort of like the Gulbis thing - I think she has worked on it. She is apparently a late bloomer as a golfer but physcially and form-gifted. Only a few have "it." Her "it" may not be LPGA, but let's give her a few more years. She has a lot of work to do. Just wonder if she will allocate enough time to the game and cut the faux celebrity stuff more.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

It's quite simple - she's a very mediocre golfer who has had a lot of attention because of her looks and also skilful promotion. If she was simply a model that would be fine - she'd get absolutely the right kind of respect for her professional modelling, as other models do, and she would deserve it.

But remember we are reading this thread on GolfWRX, not a lifestyle website. Purely as a competitive golfer, which is how she is sold in the media, she's a bit of a nobody and she's going to have to live with that because it's a fact and everybody knows it including her. Her golf skills get conveniently forgotten when there's money being dangled in front of you, but it's not a simple win-win arrangement. There are holes in the bucket and always will be. Rolex rankings don't lie.

You can't compare her to Rickie or Jordan - they're at the top of the game and they know it. Paige has to live with the ambiguity of her situation, and sure - it can't be easy living with any kind of ambiguity going on inside your head at 23 or any other age for that matter. Maybe eccentrics, rock musicians, surrealists and comedians can live with ambiguity but it's a struggle for most other people.

Ill very politely and respectfully disagree with some of your points, though understanding of where you're trying to come from. I dont agree that shes sold first and foremost as a competitive golfer in the media, she is sold for her physical looks and huge following in many of the articles. Shes working on her game, shes only played 2 counting events in the Rolex rankings, Dubai late last year and the recent Scottish open (made cut -limited field). Yes she missed out at q school, as did 240 odd other girls, but she went and played well in Colarado in a tournament there last few days so her game is getting better. What Im trying to say is that its way too early in her career to know whether shes going to make it or not.

Im sure you are aware of the enormous costs it takes to make it to the LPGA, and even more when you get on tour, you need to be able to afford to fail long enough in order to succeed, just like the PGA tour and many others around the world. Not everyone is a teenage phenom, they are more the outliers than the norm and if she has been presented with opportunities that others havent then good luck to her, almost no player would turn those opportunities down. They'll give her the freedom to focus on her golf fulltime and we'll see whether she improves at the rate required to get there in time or not.

Golf as with many other professional sports, and life isnt always fair or rewards you purely based on performance. Some people get afforded opportunities that others dont as im sure youll agree, but if you are presented them, would you not take them? Finding sponsorship as a professional isnt easy, especially in womens golf, Beth Allen (American) the number 1 on the Ladies European Tour Order of Merit cant get a sponsor, http://golfweek.com/2016/03/22/american-beth-allen-tops-let-money-list-cant-find-single-sponsor and Paige can, but thats just the way it is. Shes been given an opportunity most would love to have, now lets she what she does with it over time.

If you read through this entire thread, there are alot of darts and negativity being thrown her way, I just dont see the need to tear her down based on a few glamour shots on her instagram page and responses to people trolling her on the same platform. Lets she what she can do in the next few years.

Ill very politely and respectfully disagree with some of your points, though understanding of where you're trying to come from. I dont agree that shes sold first and foremost as a competitive golfer in the media, she is sold for her physical looks and huge following in many of the articles. Shes working on her game, shes only played 2 counting events in the Rolex rankings, Dubai late last year and the recent Scottish open (made cut -limited field). Yes she missed out at q school, as did 240 odd other girls, but she went and played well in Colarado in a tournament there last few days so her game is getting better. What Im trying to say is that its way too early in her career to know whether shes going to make it or not.

Im sure you are aware of the enormous costs it takes to make it to the LPGA, and even more when you get on tour, you need to be able to afford to fail long enough in order to succeed, just like the PGA tour and many others around the world. Not everyone is a teenage phenom, they are more the outliers than the norm and if she has been presented with opportunities that others havent then good luck to her, almost no player would turn those opportunities down. They'll give her the freedom to focus on her golf fulltime and we'll see whether she improves at the rate required to get there in time or not.

Golf as with many other professional sports, and life isnt always fair or rewards you purely based on performance. Some people get afforded opportunities that others dont as im sure youll agree, but if you are presented them, would you not take them? Finding sponsorship as a professional isnt easy, especially in womens golf, Beth Allen (American) the number 1 on the Ladies European Tour Order of Merit cant get a sponsor, http://golfweek.com/2016/03/22/american-beth-allen-tops-let-money-list-cant-find-single-sponsor and Paige can, but thats just the way it is. Shes been given an opportunity most would love to have, now lets she what she does with it over time.

If you read through this entire thread, there are alot of darts and negativity being thrown her way, I just dont see the need to tear her down based on a few glamour shots on her instagram page and responses to people trolling her on the same platform. Lets she what she can do in the next few years.

This is a golf forum.....When a thread asks what we think of someone, we respond.....Some have good things to say about her, some have bad....If you want people to wait till things are settled before giving an opinion, you are at the wrong place.

• 3 months later...

She is once again playing in Dubai at the Ladies Madter on a sponsor's exemption. She is not alone this time. Blair O'Neal, Belen Mozo, and Chelsea Pezzoli are joining her.

Belen Mozo Seems to be the only real active golfer from the above. She has two second place finishes this year on the LET Tour from just five starts.

She's complaining about internet trolls again and this post is still relevant.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Sounds like she can't stand the glare of social media. She's a "name" but hasn't really accomplished much except some trick shots, a mini-tour win and be pretty. Oh and is sponsored by Callaway, which is nice.

I hope she keeps up with her dream, but she should probably not post to Twitter, lest she burst into flame.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

at least she has a mini tour win....unlike some of these other women being advertised like this Chelsea girl on the cover of golfwrx right now, or Meghan/Lauren from Big Break.

But, but Meghan was going to be a big star. Someone on Wrx told me so. :0

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Sounds like she can't stand the glare of social media. She's a "name" but hasn't really accomplished much except some trick shots, a mini-tour win and be pretty. Oh and is sponsored by Callaway, which is nice.

I hope she keeps up with her dream, but she should probably not post to Twitter, lest she burst into flame.

Cyber bullying is awful. But I don't get why she can't leave it be? Who cares what trolls and negative people think? She needs to spend more time working and thinking about her game.

If I'm her manager, I'm leveraging the brand she's built and trying to cash in sponsorships and media opportunities which she would then invest into her game.

at least she has a mini tour win....unlike some of these other women being advertised like this Chelsea girl on the cover of golfwrx right now, or Meghan/Lauren from Big Break.

Her mini-tour win came against a small field (less than 20) and was a win by default because she tied with Hannah O'Sullivan, who is an amateur and the tour decided not to hold a playoff.

Sorry, you don't get to literally MAKE YOUR LIVING from a social media presence and then complain about comments received. She's a hack, plain and simple, and she's bad for the women's professional game.

I am gonna have to agree, why beat around the bush. You are not playing in a LET tournament because of merit but because you sell boob shots, a** shots, and trick shots on instagram and then complain when people call you out for not being the "golfer" your instagram page portrays you to be. Women's golf is better than this, I for one have really gotten tired of all the half assed attempts at copying Paige on instagram, yes you are wearing spandex but with the way that swing looks you aren't breaking 90 anytime soon...

Cyber bullying is real. Very real. There is a difference between being critical and cyber bullying. While some may disagree with Paige's and other model golfers' role, it still doesn't justify online comments and posts posted for the sole purpose of being mean and disrespectful just for the sake of being mean and disrespectful.

While I disagree, I can respect the comments that say social media stars using golf and selling sex to boost their brand and for notoriety is bad for the women's game. But those comments don't have to be made in a way to bully and tear down someone.

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

It would be interesting if all the keyboard cowards who called Paige Spiranac a crappy golfer, a disgrace for the sport, a sl*t and other, even worse things would stand on the first tee of their home course, Paige S. would show up and ask if she could join the group. Most of the guys would be extremely polite, coudn't concentrate on their own game because they would have to look at her all the time, and afterwards they would tell her what a nice and good loking girl she is and that she will make it on Tour for sure.

And no one here can be the judge for the stuff she said at the press conference, because no one knows what she had to read about herself or her family in the Social Media channels.

She seems to work seriously on her game, she has shown that she can play, she finished 10th on this years' Cactus Tour money list, so she deserves a fair chance over time at proving that she can make it to the LPGA Tour. Is she good enough to do it right now? Probably not. Is she bad for golf? Nooo! She gets this tournament a media coverage it wouldn't have had without her. Suzann Pettersen said that she was fine about Spiranac playing there and welcomed her back. She doesn't take anybody's place, she is invited to play. It would be cool if she came close to making the cut or actually made it.

And if her twitter and instagram stuff attract people to give golf a shot, then more power to her! Her videos work because she is looking great AND she can play.

I am gonna have to agree, why beat around the bush. You are not playing in a LET tournament because of merit but because you sell boob shots, a** shots, and trick shots on instagram and then complain when people call you out for not being the "golfer" your instagram page portrays you to be. Women's golf is better than this, I for one have really gotten tired of all the half assed attempts at copying Paige on instagram, yes you are wearing spandex but with the way that swing looks you aren't breaking 90 anytime soon...

I agree with the first part of your post but the second is flat incorrect. As a 7.4 she would stomp on you in a a game at any distance. IMO she does not have the game to successfully make the LPGA tour but she is way better than most posting. The Cactus tour event she ties for the win she shot 71-74-68. Not the longest or most difficult course but few posters with caps noted on this thread are going to come near those scores.

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Bullying via internet trolling is about the lowest, most cowardly form of humanity there is. The fact that she is famous because of social media does not make the practice okay or mean that she or any of us should deem it acceptable. Her skill as a golfer is irrelevant.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Cyber bullying is real. Very real. There is a difference between being critical and cyber bullying. While some may disagree with Paige's and other model golfers' role, it still doesn't justify online comments and posts posted for the sole purpose of being mean and disrespectful just for the sake of being mean and disrespectful.

While I disagree, I can respect the comments that say social media stars using golf and selling sex to boost their brand and for notoriety is bad for the women's game. But those comments don't have to be made in a way to bully and tear down someone.

I agree about cyber bullying, there is no place for it whatsoever. Calling someone a slut or worse and threatening their loved ones is beyond unacceptable. That said, questioning someone's work ethic or motives, while tactless, is not cyber bullying. I am sure she is a sweet girl and never envisioned this whole thing blowing up. I am also sure at the start she realized her NCAA scores did not warrant turning pro or the spots she received in tournaments.

It is a doubled edged sword. Living by the complete openness, leaning towards self exploitation, of social media comes with its ups and downs. Social media and her self promotion has lead to many doors opening for her. There are also many who believe sports is the ultimate "free market" of competition. The hardest working, most talented, and unrelenting will always find a way of rising up no matter the obstacles. Many believe she is lacking the traits needed.

Lastly, please stop with the " if she showed up at the tee box no one would say anything resembling their comments behind the keyboard" You are exactly right, Most people wouldn't say to their boss what they say to their coworkers and peers. I'd also say if Paige S. joined my group on the first tee as a single, she would wear normal golf attire. Shorts or skort and a shirt with a sports bra, not 4 inch spandex shorts and a sports bra only, or a tank with a push up bra.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Bullying via internet trolling is about the lowest, most cowardly form of humanity there is. The fact that she is famous because of social media does not make the practice okay or mean that she or any of us should deem it acceptable. Her skill as a golfer is irrelevant.

I'd like this statement but just noticed you can't like a Mod's post....why is that?

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I'd like this statement but just noticed you can't like a Mod's post....why is that?

So we don't post or be influenced by the currency of "Likes". Thanks for your kind words, though.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

It's pretty easy to see both sides of this.. Paige is obviously attractive, and definitely can game, but at the same time gets more daily recognition than most LPGA players, and she's not to their level. If anything, I would think you'd hear more gripe from the women on tour.

I respect her ambitions, and shes using her looks to her advantage to further her career.. Not exactly a dumb move, and it's not like shes going to the lengths of Kim K and Paris Hilton to get public recognition. But again, she's getting more attention for her golf game/career because of her looks, than she is because of her golf game. I wish her the best of luck in her career. She does have talent, and is easy on the eyes, no doubt. She also seems like a good person, which is a breath of fresh air in comparison to others in her position, and she's doing it without a complete lack of self respect, which is also nice.

As for the bullying.. man people need to A: learn some respect, and B: mind their own business. She's not a pro, but she is aspiring, like so many others out there. She's probably better than 90% of people that have posted negatively about her as well. Calling her out for not being a pro, but projecting herself as such is NOT uncalled for, IMO. I think it's a waste of breath, but it is what it is. But the way people do it.. man.. wtf is wrong with people. Saying some incredibly vulgar stuff to someone who hasn't done anything wrong is BS, and on top of that, any real man who was raised by parents, guardians, etc, who are worth anything wouldn't talk to a girl that way.. Most people with a decent upbringing were probably raised to give a slap up side the head to people who talk to women that way. It's a pretty girl, and it's golf, and neither of which make any deeply vulgar and mean statements called for. I'm very anti-coddling / safe space, etc.. but I do believe in just having some form of general respect for people. Hell, maybe the first guy who says something that's not degrading or completely filled with sexual references will get a date with her.. lol. I haven't seen anything posted that doesn't contain those two things, about/to her on social media yet.

So we don't post or be influenced by the currency of "Likes". Thanks for your kind words, though.

LIKE ;)

Cyber bullying is wrong and of course it should be stopped. But unfortunately when you use your body to gain Instagram followers and get into tournaments, it's going to come with the territory. It shouldn't, but it does. I just want Paige to admit she's getting into the LET events and on the cover of GD not because she plays golf well, but only because how she marketed her body on Instagram. She does seem to have a great personality and seems fairly level-headed and is playing better golf than I thought and she should be applauded for that. But she keeps on thinking that she hasn't marketed her body in any unique ways. If you want to do it, fine. Just don't deny it.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

+1 to everything said about how sub-human the bullying/shaming is. It's so prevelant it's sad. Whether directed at Paige, or any other guy/girl.

Part of me wonders though...

Although fault or blame never falls on the person being attacked, is it possible that the target of any shaming/bullying play also plays a role in some way?

For instance, if I was to go out of my way and post some inflamatory political view about Trump/Clinton, do I not open myself up to the negative or demeaning responses I might recieve as a result of my post? If I didn't want that conversation (and the bullying that comes with it) to happen, should I have opened up the topic in the first place?

Like I said previously, I DO NOT believe that the shaming/bullying is okay. But if someone purposefully and intentionally highlights/exposes/features a physical part of them, do they not open the door to the resluting conversation that comes with it?

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

True words. Golfing skill is irrelevant to this conversation.

Our collective worth as human beings is independent of any skill or talent.

Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

I agree with the first part of your post but the second is flat incorrect. As a 7.4 she would stomp on you in a a game at any distance. IMO she does not have the game to successfully make the LPGA tour but she is way better than most posting. The Cactus tour event she ties for the win she shot 71-74-68. Not the longest or most difficult course but few posters with caps noted on this thread are going to come near those scores.

My second part of my post wasn't referencing that Paige is a bad golfer, no she is pretty darn amazing and would spank me left and right on the course. I was referencing the fact that she has spawned many many girls on instagram to try and copy her who may have picked up a golf club only a month ago type thing, riding the golf+spandex+trickshot gravy train.