Wilson Duo Urethane

bigsting

I am very much looking forward to trying out the Duo Urethane when it comes out next month. This ball is sounding really nice and can't wait to try it out. The Chrome Soft is a very good golf ball but has been somewhat disappointing around the greens compared to golf balls like the B330RXS, Project A, and to some extent the Wilson FG Tour. A pretty reliable Golf source says this ball will retail for $34.99 a dozen. I just recently started using the new 2016 Project A ball and so far that seems like a really good ball too, and with what looks to be good performance around the greens, around 70 compression. If the Duo Urethane performs about as well off the tee and irons, it will probably be my golf ball of choice for 2016. For those who like a little more compression, the new Project A would be worth a good look probably.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1447416346' post='12593466']
They seem to always price a couple bucks under their competitor. I have to think they are trying to capture Chrome Soft market share. I'd guess it will sell around $34.99.

Duo $19.99
Duo Spin $26.99
Duo Urethane $35 ish
FG Tour $40+

They would have each price point covered.
[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I have gotten information from my rep on this ball. Price will be $34.99, and they will be released alongside the new irons in January.

Oh, and I have been able to play them for a few rounds. They feel like a DUO and spin like an FG Tour, plus they are about half to a full club longer than the FG Tour I currently play.

TM Stealth+ 9 (8.25) UST LINQ Purple 6X

TM Stealth+ 5 (17*) Tour AD IZ 7X

TM SIM Max 3 Nippon GOST 90S

TM P7MC 4-6, P7MB 7-P Modus Tour 105S HS

TM MG2 52, 56, 60 Modus Wedge 115

Spider X CS

[quote name='Redbear90' timestamp='1450122142' post='12719624']
They seem to always price a couple bucks under their competitor. I have to think they are trying to capture Chrome Soft market share. I'd guess it will sell around $34.99.

Duo $19.99
Duo Spin $26.99
Duo Urethane $35 ish
FG Tour $40+

[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. I have gotten information from my rep on this ball. Price will be $34.99, and they will be released alongside the new irons in January.

Oh, and I have been able to play them for a few rounds. They feel like a DUO and spin like an FG Tour, plus they are about half to a full club longer than the FG Tour I currently play.
[/quote]
Sounds like a good ball. I loved the soft feel of the original FG Tours, they were amazing.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='thomz0_' timestamp='1450458130' post='12736000']
Anyone else have trouble putting the normal duo? I do have a rubber insert on my putter and I CANNOT feel the ball off the face.
I love the soft feel in the cold months it provides, it's a long ball and straight (prov1x feels like a piece of concrete in the winter). Should I switch to elite 50's lol
[/quote]

I know what you mean. The combination of ultra-low compression balls and putter inserts rob all of the feel on the green. The Duo U, while soft, is not as nearly as soft as the basic Duo and should still provide enough feedback. At least that is what I am deducing after using it with non-insert putter.

[quote name='PuttCurseRepeat' timestamp='1450464519' post='12736460']
[quote name='thomz0_' timestamp='1450458130' post='12736000']
Anyone else have trouble putting the normal duo? I do have a rubber insert on my putter and I CANNOT feel the ball off the face.
I love the soft feel in the cold months it provides, it's a long ball and straight (prov1x feels like a piece of concrete in the winter). Should I switch to elite 50's lol
[/quote]

I know what you mean. The combination of ultra-low compression balls and putter inserts rob all of the feel on the green. The Duo U, while soft, is not as nearly as soft as the basic Duo and should still provide enough feedback. At least that is what I am deducing after using it with non-insert putter.
[/quote]

Yeah, I saw the new 4 piece here. I guess I could bust out the ole' ping eye putter(tingggg). I'll be trying those after I use up this last handful of mg c4's. Lol. Almost forgot about these

Duo $19.99
Duo Spin $26.99
Duo Urethane $35 ish
FG Tour $40+

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hate to brag but damn I'm good. Lol

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

My guess would be it will play similar to the 2016 project a which I'm loving no doubt so that will be a plus imo. Sports authority and Dunhams always have 25% percent off coupons laying around so that brings them both into a reasonable price range for the quality. I also like the current duo but it doesn't spin enough for me. It does launch a mile high though.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Duo $19.99
Duo Spin $26.99
Duo Urethane $35 ish
FG Tour $40+

[/quote]

[/quote]

Music to my ears!

[quote name='tomuch23' timestamp='1450557423' post='12740328']
My guess would be it will play similar to the 2016 project a which I'm loving no doubt so that will be a plus imo. Sports authority and Dunhams always have 25% percent off coupons laying around so that brings them both into a reasonable price range for the quality. I also like the current duo but it doesn't spin enough for me. It does launch a mile high though.
[/quote]

I have been using the 2016 Project a for a little while, nice ball that appears to out perform the Chrome Soft around the greens and about as soft. Can't wait to try the Duo Urethane.

Hit some the other day from around 30 yards. CS, Duo U, 2016 Project A. All three seem to be about the same distance from where the pitch mark was to where they stopped. I need to do more testing to see if any one of the three has an advantage over the other.

Driver: TM M1
3 Wood: TM M1
Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)
Ball: Srixon Z star, CS, Q Star, Project A
Putter: Metal X #7
Bag: Sun Mountain C130 Stand

easy for me to say but i really dont think wilson will sell much of duo urethane if it's priced over $30 unless its performance is noticeably better than chrome soft and project a, and that is very unlikely.
golf nuts like the majority of the golfwrx members will try almost everything and play it if they like it regardless of prices in most cases. however, the others (the sane ones) will probably stick with the big names like tm/callaway if the price and the performance are similar.
anyway, i cant wait to try this ball because i like wilson balls in general. fg tour is my second favorite urethane cover ball, and 50 elite is my favorite surlyn cover ball.

Interesting to read so much about a company that everyone said was just a Walmart brand a couple of years back. They still have a ways to go but this could be a good year and the DUO U a good ball.

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

[quote name='Steve o' timestamp='1451424881' post='12776982']
Interesting to read so much about a company that everyone said was just a Walmart brand a couple of years back. They still have a ways to go but this could be a good year and the DUO U a good ball.
[/quote]

Not everyone.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

[quote name='Steve o' timestamp='1451424881' post='12776982']
[/quote]I'm not sure what the consumer is eagerly anticipating from other companies coming out the January golf show, but Wilson takes the N. American wraps off of the Duo U, two irons- the f5 Tour and iC200 - and the FG Tour driver. The ball is shaping up to be great - and the rest of the new line-up is on my hit list. It could be a watershed year for Wilson.

I live in Singapore and I have played the Duo U. It's solid but not spectacular. As advertised, it is crazy soft feeling. Distance was good off the tee, comparable to premium balls, which was appreciated, as I have found other "soft" balls (Chromesoft) considerably shorter. Where the Duo U falls short is around the greens. Not a lot of spin...the ball wants to run out, which is a bit disappointing for a urethane ball. I guess you could get used to it, but for me, why bother when I can get Srixon XV's for around the same price here.

[quote name='2010PGA' timestamp='1451273935' post='12770348'] Hit some the other day from around 30 yards. CS, Duo U, 2016 Project A. All three seem to be about the same distance from where the pitch mark was to where they stopped. I need to do more testing to see if any one of the three has an advantage over the other. [/quote]

Looking forward to finding out your test results. From what I have seen so far, the new Project A stops a little quicker than the Chrome Soft, BUT I have been testing them on somewhat damp greens around here, so your results may vary.

[quote name='cyr67' timestamp='1451528757' post='12782816']
I live in Singapore and I have played the Duo U. It's solid but not spectacular. As advertised, it is crazy soft feeling. Distance was good off the tee, comparable to premium balls, which was appreciated, as I have found other "soft" balls (Chromesoft) considerably shorter. Where the Duo U falls short is around the greens. Not a lot of spin...the ball wants to run out, which is a bit disappointing for a urethane ball. I guess you could get used to it, but for me, why bother when I can get Srixon XV's for around the same price here.
[/quote]

This is good to know. The Chrome Soft has been somewhat disappointing around the greens for me, at least compared to golf balls like the B330RXS and maybe the new Project A too. Like the Duo Urethane the Chrome Soft just wants to roll out more after it checks up. The Srixon Zstar ball has always seemed pretty nice around the greens. Evidently it must be challenging to get a soft core with a urethane cover to perform as well around the greens as a firmer core and urethane cover, but they seem to be getting closer. So far the new Project A looks fairly solid all around.

Lewisgl, I'll let you know as soon as I am able to get back out here in NC. I can spin the ball so my results may be different than what you see. Just found out price for the Duo U will be $37.99 per dozen. Project A is $34.99 and then CS will be $39.99 when the new ones are out in 2016. No yellow for Duo U or Project A.

Irons: Cobra King 3-PW, Tour Trusty GW, PM Grind LW (Also have a set of Srixon 545's 3-PW)

Duo $19.99
Duo Spin $26.99
Duo Urethane $35 ish
FG Tour $40+

[/quote]

[/quote] I saw them just today on Wilson golf website and they listed them for $37.99 a dozen. If you bought a dozen they will send you a two ball trail pack to try and if you don't like them then you can send the dozen back for a full refund.

Duo $19.99

Duo Spin $26.99

Duo Urethane $35 ish

FG Tour $40+

I saw them just today on Wilson golf website and they listed them for $37.99 a dozen. If you bought a dozen they will send you a two ball trail pack to try and if you don't like them then you can send the dozen back for a full refund.

Yup, saw this. Someone buy them and give me a review ??

Ok, played today here in North Carolina and got more time in with the Duo U. Very good ball. Distance, spin, durable cover so far. My wedge is 58 degree PM grind. Compared it to the Project A and Chrome Soft. Duo U and Pro A spin better than the current CS. Pro A and Duo U are very very close. 35 yard shots are pretty much the same. Full wedge from 75-80 yards they both stop like a dropped cat. Price for Duo U is $37.99, Pro A is $34.99. Saw very very small wedge marks on the Pro A. Did not see any on the Duo U. Will have to see after more play if the cover durability is an issue.

For me if the cover durability doesn't become an issue I'll go with the Project A and save a few $$$. Plus lost golf balls has the Project A. Neither one will have a yellow option.

Hope this helps.

Ok, played today here in North Carolina and got more time in with the Duo U. Very good ball. Distance, spin, durable cover so far. My wedge is 58 degree PM grind. Compared it to the Project A and Chrome Soft. Duo U and Pro A spin better than the current CS. Pro A and Duo U are very very close. 35 yard shots are pretty much the same. Full wedge from 75-80 yards they both stop like a dropped cat. Price for Duo U is $37.99, Pro A is $34.99. Saw very very small wedge marks on the Pro A. Did not see any on the Duo U. Will have to see after more play if the cover durability is an issue.

For me if the cover durability doesn't become an issue I'll go with the Project A and save a few $$$. Plus lost golf balls has the Project A. Neither one will have a yellow option.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information, pretty similar to what I have seen so far. I picked up a couple sleeves of the Duo U yesterday, tried out the driver on it, a little putting, some chipping and pitching, seems to compare pretty well with the Project A, Project A might be just a smidge longer off the driver, but hard to say for sure. These are my two favorite new golf balls right now. The Project A price advantage is a plus for that ball.