2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chicago - Best Starting/Finishing Holes

Argonne69

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it’s been a while since I’ve played it, I thought Palatine Hills 18th hole was a tough one. Some people hate it since it takes driver out of play but I find it challenging and interesting.

Ping G400 Max 9 degree - Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60X
Ping G400 3 wood - UST Mamiya VTS Silver SX
TaylorMade UDI 3 iron - GD AD DI 95X
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW - Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52, 56, 60 - DG
Evnroll ER2

While it's been a while since I've played it, I thought Palatine Hills 18th hole was a tough one. Some people hate it since it takes driver out of play but I find it challenging and interesting.

Not a huge fan of the 18th at PH but agree that it's tough. It's not the best green and hitting a layup on 18 seems a wacky way to finish a round. Finishing on 9 would be more appropriate with a difficult tee shot, protected green, etc.

What's the definition of best? Hardest? Most challenging risk/reward? Easiest (for starting a round)?

I'll start by nominating everybody's least favorite course, Lost Marsh, for best starting hole. The 1st is a short par 4 playing from an elevated tee with great views of the surrounding area. It temps you to hit a wood or driver, but the smart play is to simply poke a long iron out into the fairway, and play for par. Bite off too much, or pull/block a longer club, and you're in the pond. 'Not a good way to start the round with the tough front nine.

Lost Marsh #1 is a fine choice. However, this is the very first time I’ve seen the industrial wasteland surroundings described as a ‘great view’. Kinda like saying Harborside has great views. ;)

Lol. You have to keep in mind that this is the Midwest, one of the flattest places in the country next to Florida. I get excited by the views from the Chicago Skyway Bridge over the Calumet River. Anything over 20 feet high is noteworthy!

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I got a chance to play the newly renovated Sunset Valley a few weeks back, and I have to say that the 1st hole is still pretty bad. I hit 3 wood off the tee, and still managed to find the pond on the left.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

IIRC, the 18th at Chalet Hills is no pussycat.

I'd say 18 at Chalet would be better as a par 4. (I think it's the lessor of the two nine's closing holes, as 9 is a better hole).

on the 9th, you have to choose how much water you should carry (gives one pause). On 18, there is an option to bail out right from water hazard on the left.

Changing 18 from a par 5 to par 4 would reduce the par on back 9 from 37 to 36 also!

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

While it's been a while since I've played it, I thought Palatine Hills 18th hole was a tough one. Some people hate it since it takes driver out of play but I find it challenging and interesting.

Not a huge fan of the 18th at PH but agree that it's tough. It's not the best green and hitting a layup on 18 seems a wacky way to finish a round. Finishing on 9 would be more appropriate with a difficult tee shot, protected green, etc.

18 isn't ideal, but you can hit your drive right on 9 and still have a decent line into the green from right rough, 1st fairway.

At least on 18, if you aren't aggressive (foolish) on your drive and don't go for at little sliver of fwy before the creek, you'll have a mid iron, at least into that tough green (overhanging trees don't help).

I wish they'd have done something dramatic at Palatine Hills to redo, 1 and 9 (they could have made it a lot more special).

Tear out all of the trees between 1 and 9, push 9 fairway out into the 1st hole (change first hole so that it plays up what used to be a practice hole (now new practice area or foot golf, could have had a cool dogleg right par 4 for the opener.

Our company has had a league there which plays both nines, and the matches were always more dramatic with 16-18 as finishers rather than 7-9.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I got a chance to play the newly renovated Sunset Valley a few weeks back, and I have to say that the 1st hole is still pretty bad. I hit 3 wood off the tee, and still managed to find the pond on the left.

Agree. Its a nice hole, but a horrible opener. And, the fix is so easy. A simple re-routing, using the current #8 as the 1st and then proceed from there solves the problem. And, it makes the longer par 5, #7, the closer on the front, which I see as a positive as well.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

I'd say 18 at Chalet would be better as a par 4. (I think it's the lessor of the two nine's closing holes, as 9 is a better hole).

on the 9th, you have to choose how much water you should carry (gives one pause). On 18, there is an option to bail out right from water hazard on the left.

Changing 19 from a par 5 to par 4 would reduce the par on back 9 from 37 to 36 also!

A change to a par 4 would make that #18 at Chalet the toughest closing hole in Chicagoland, in my opinion.

Titleist TSR2 10*
Titleist TSi2 18*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo

Changing 19 from a par 5 to par 4 would reduce the par on back 9 from 37 to 36 also!

A change to a par 4 would make that #18 at Chalet the toughest closing hole in Chicagoland, in my opinion.

potentially...it would be a bit like Highlands of Elgin #11 then...but tougher because Chalet's 18 is narrower for the approach.

TM TP5x

potentially...it would be a bit like Highlands of Elgin #11 then...but tougher because Chalet's 18 is narrower for the approach.

I'm probably one of the few stupid people that really likes 11. Depending on the wind, you can play the hole very safely on the right or if you're hitting the ball well, be really aggressive. Walking off that green with a 4 is a win.

I'd say Prairie Landing is much more than an average course. It's not Top 10 in the area, but certainly top 20.

I prefer an opener that makes par a very attainable score but really makes you work for birdie. Closing holes should be challenging but fair. In other words, void of gimmicks. I love the opener and closer at Highlands of Elgin because they both fit firmly in this criteria. I'm aware of the fact that the scorecard says they both are the exact same length. However, with one going downhill and the other uphill, they have about a 1.5 or two club difference on the approach shot. Now, are these my favorite opener and closer in the area? With a GEM like Lost Marsh in the area?

I also like the opener and closer at Blackstone. The first hole is pretty easy (maybe too easy) but I've never birdied it and 18 is, in my opinion, excellent. It's tough, long, but fair and with a very cool green complex.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

I'd say Prairie Landing is much more than an average course. It's not Top 10 in the area, but certainly top 20.

Yeah my comment referred to the other two courses in my post.

I prefer an opener that makes par a very attainable score but really makes you work for birdie. Closing holes should be challenging but fair. In other words, void of gimmicks. I love the opener and closer at Highlands of Elgin because they both fit firmly in this criteria. I'm aware of the fact that the scorecard says they both are the exact same length. However, with one going downhill and the other uphill, they have about a 1.5 or two club difference on the approach shot. Now, are these my favorite opener and closer in the area? With a GEM like Lost Marsh in the area?

I also like the opener and closer at Blackstone. The first hole is pretty easy (maybe too easy) but I've never birdied it and 18 is, in my opinion, excellent. It's tough, long, but fair and with a very cool green complex.

Agree with everything you said about Blackstone

Interesting thread, kind of.

I have a harder time picking openers than closers. I used to like #1 and #18 at Mistwood before they changed #1 to the hole with the diagonal creek in the lz. I liked how approaching the tee area, it was tiered and everything nicely framed by ''fescue''. I didn't mind that the landing area was blind from the tee - it set the table nicely for the round ahead.

Other #1's:

Chicago Highlands - The uniterrupted ribbon of tee ground to the generous fairway. Tricky approach to a smallish, sloped green - especially as your drive goes further right.

GDN

#18's:

Butler

Dubs

Bowes

Heritage Bluffs

Interesting thread, kind of.

I have a harder time picking openers than closers. I used to like #1 and #18 at Mistwood before they changed #1 to the hole with the diagonal creek in the lz. I liked how approaching the tee area, it was tiered and everything nicely framed by ''fescue''. I didn't mind that the landing area was blind from the tee - it set the table nicely for the round ahead.

Other #1's:

Chicago Highlands - The uniterrupted ribbon of tee ground to the generous fairway. Tricky approach to a smallish, sloped green - especially as your drive goes further right.

GDN

#18's:

Butler

Dubs

Bowes

Heritage Bluffs

I didn’t consider private clubs but, agreed, the opener at Chicago Highlands is excellent. The first four holes there are among my favorite ways to start a round, and I always thought 18 as a long 4 would be a killer way to close. As a short 5 it’s kind of pedestrian though.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Yeah, Glencoe's opening hole is tougher than the scorecard would indicate. It's only 382 yards, but plays uphill, and usually into a headwind. If one plays a draw, the slight bend to the right often means one is in the trees on the left. Someone playing a fade has to deal with the large evergreens on the right, and the range. The range doesn't allow one to hit more than an iron, so a driver on the 1st tee is the first one of the day. The green has an almost imperceptible slope back to front that can lead one to roll downhill putts off the front of the green. I know I'm imagining it, but I swear the green is always faster than any other green on the course.

I've played the course 40+ times, and I believe I have two birdies, and a whole lotta bogies.

I think my favorite opener is Shepherd's Crook. Great warm up hole for a course that doesn't have a range

Also like: HOE, Deerfield

Openers I don't like:

Glencoe

Waters Edge

c'mon?

haven't you ever busted one across Green Bay Road just for fun?

or if you have the first tee time, hit number one tee box a half hour early with a small bag of practice balls just before sunrise and shoot a few down fairway one and pick 'em back up after your group tees off.

(have done just that)

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I've stopped using the range at Glencoe after I got yelled at for hitting a 6 hybrid. Yeah, a 6h. The course worked screamed at me that fairway woods weren't allowed. I kindly told him it was a hybrid, the same as a 5 iron, but he was having none of that. He must have recently arrived from Pluto.

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't think there was much love for the 1st at Big Run. Without a range to warm up on, the 1st while shortish, is too tight. I don't recall ever hitting the fairway. Punch outs from the trees are no way to start a round.