2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Matt you mentioned working with your instructor last Wednesday, what does a typical lesson sound like and how long does the lesson last?

Lessons depend on what I need to work on and how I'm playing. I booked my lesson this week because three weeks before I was not hitting the ball very well. However, I'm very good at improving and fixing myself and I managed to do so before my lesson. The lesson was a checkup of what I fixed and if it looks good, and it did. We talked about what my goals and how to get to the next level. We went through my rounds and my shots and tried to identity where I can shave off a shot or two a round.

After we talked on the range we went to the short game area and worked on a new shot to hit. I added another tool to the toolbox and will be continuing to work on the new shot I learned. . (a spinning shot which uses the bounce and doesn't take a divot). After the chipping, I went to check putting setup and stroke and it looked good.

Mostly lessons are looking at setup and other simple fixes to get me back to where my swing is looking good. Recent lessons have had a lot of talking about golf and the what I need to do to get to the PGA Tour.

New member here. Really enjoyed reading through the thread and catching up on your journey. Keep it up, can't wait for more updates!

Thanks, glad to have you following.

Update:

Today I head back to Canada for two weeks. First week is in Winnipeg and second week is in Thunder Bay. Tomorrow I have a Monday pro am at the course we are playing at. The 28 pros who signed up to play get 200 CAD and free breakfast and lunch and the opportunity to meet some of the sponsors.

Flying out of SFO this afternoon and landing tonight in Winnipeg. Another tournament where a lot of birdies will take to win it.

Update:

Today I head back to Canada for two weeks. First week is in Winnipeg and second week is in Thunder Bay. Tomorrow I have a Monday pro am at the course we are playing at. The 28 pros who signed up to play get 200 CAD and free breakfast and lunch and the opportunity to meet some of the sponsors.

Flying out of SFO this afternoon and landing tonight in Winnipeg. Another tournament where a lot of birdies will take to win it.

Save travels and here's to a lot of birds, Matt. You have a lot of fans following you at this point. Go into your tourneys knowing that!

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Matt you mentioned working with your instructor last Wednesday, what does a typical lesson sound like and how long does the lesson last?

Lessons depend on what I need to work on and how I'm playing. I booked my lesson this week because three weeks before I was not hitting the ball very well. However, I'm very good at improving and fixing myself and I managed to do so before my lesson. The lesson was a checkup of what I fixed and if it looks good, and it did. We talked about what my goals and how to get to the next level. We went through my rounds and my shots and tried to identity where I can shave off a shot or two a round.

After we talked on the range we went to the short game area and worked on a new shot to hit. I added another tool to the toolbox and will be continuing to work on the new shot I learned. . (a spinning shot which uses the bounce and doesn't take a divot). After the chipping, I went to check putting setup and stroke and it looked good.

Mostly lessons are looking at setup and other simple fixes to get me back to where my swing is looking good. Recent lessons have had a lot of talking about golf and the what I need to do to get to the PGA Tour.

Thanks for the response, always good to have additional tools around the green.

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

Update:

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups :)

Safe Travels God Speed

All the Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Curious about how your clubs travel when you fly. What kind of carrier/bag do you use and what measures do you take to ensure they get to your destination safely?

Best of luck in Canada, Matt!

I use the standard Nike Travel bag for my clubs. It's fantastically padded and has kept my clubs safe every time. As a precaution I pack 1 extra driver shaft in the bag and I remove the club head and bring that with me on my carry on. Thats to ensure I have at least a driver if my clubs are damaged during the flight. There is not much else I can do but hope that the airlines are gentle with my clubs and no heavy suitcases are thrown on top of them.

And thank you.

Today, the second round in Winnipeg at the Players Cup has concluded.

Yesterday I hit 14/18 GIRS and the longest putt I made was 2 feet. The 4 greens I missed, I got up and down once and missed 4-6 footers to save pars on the other 3. I also had one 3 putt on the day. My three birdies were all tap ins. The hole looked incredibly small. 36 putts on the day, with hitting the ball like a 4 or 5 under lead to my one over first round.

Today was the second round. I knew going in that the cut would be 3 or four under par. I start off the day hitting the ball fantastic again and just missing a couple 20-30 footers, wasn't really supposed to make them anyway. The first par 5 I come to I hit a great 4 iron from a juicy lie in the rough to trundle up to the front edge which was 210 away. An easy 2 putt and I get to 1 under par after the tap in birdie. Over the next 4 holes I hit a fantastic GW to 9 feet from 118, then a 9iron from 134 into the wind to 10 feet, then a 7iron from 183 to 9 feet, then a chip on 10 to 12 feet. I don't convert a single one. I was trying everything, I widened my stance, tried to alter my setup and nothing was working. Finally on 13 after a good 70 yard wedge to 9 feet, I just step up and hit the putt...no practice swing and just tried not to think and hit it quickly. I've done this many times in the past and this seemed to help me this time, less thinking. Next hole I have a good two putt. Hole 15 I hit a 60 yard wedge to 4 feet and make it. 16 is the toughest driving hole with water on left and trees right with a right to left wind. I pound a 320 drive very close to the water but in the fairway. I hit what I thought was a perfect 9 iron from 160 but it comes up short. My lag putt releases to 7-8 feet past the pin, drained. 50 yard wedge shot on 17 comes up way short and I birdie. I needed to birdie the 440 par 4 18th hole. I hit a driver right down the center, the pin is front right 141 with a wind right to left. (I love right pins for my perfect cut shot). I pull out a 9iron and the ball starts left and fades, now its tracking right at the hole. Lands 3 feet past the pin and spins back to 6-7 feet straight uphill for birdie. I'm a little nervous since I thought at the time I needed that birdie and sure enough I was right. Drained it.

Not much difference in ball striking between the two rounds. I see one putt go in and it makes the hole look that much bigger. On the weekend I've got to start rolling in putts earlier than the 13th hole.

Yesterday I hit 14/18 GIRS and the longest putt I made was 2 feet. The 4 greens I missed, I got up and down once and missed 4-6 footers to save pars on the other 3. I also had one 3 putt on the day. My three birdies were all tap ins. The hole looked incredibly small. 36 putts on the day, with hitting the ball like a 4 or 5 under lead to my one over first round.

Today was the second round. I knew going in that the cut would be 3 or four under par. I start off the day hitting the ball fantastic again and just missing a couple 20-30 footers, wasn't really supposed to make them anyway. The first par 5 I come to I hit a great 4 iron from a juicy lie in the rough to trundle up to the front edge which was 210 away. An easy 2 putt and I get to 1 under par after the tap in birdie. Over the next 4 holes I hit a fantastic GW to 9 feet from 118, then a 9iron from 134 into the wind to 10 feet, then a 7iron from 183 to 9 feet, then a chip on 10 to 12 feet. I don't convert a single one. I was trying everything, I widened my stance, tried to alter my setup and nothing was working. Finally on 13 after a good 70 yard wedge to 9 feet, I just step up and hit the putt...no practice swing and just tried not to think and hit it quickly. I've done this many times in the past and this seemed to help me this time, less thinking. Next hole I have a good two putt. Hole 15 I hit a 60 yard wedge to 4 feet and make it. 16 is the toughest driving hole with water on left and trees right with a right to left wind. I pound a 320 drive very close to the water but in the fairway. I hit what I thought was a perfect 9 iron from 160 but it comes up short. My lag putt releases to 7-8 feet past the pin, drained. 50 yard wedge shot on 17 comes up way short and I birdie. I needed to birdie the 440 par 4 18th hole. I hit a driver right down the center, the pin is front right 141 with a wind right to left. (I love right pins for my perfect cut shot). I pull out a 9iron and the ball starts left and fades, now its tracking right at the hole. Lands 3 feet past the pin and spins back to 6-7 feet straight uphill for birdie. I'm a little nervous since I thought at the time I needed that birdie and sure enough I was right. Drained it.

Not much difference in ball striking between the two rounds. I see one putt go in and it makes the hole look that much bigger. On the weekend I've got to start rolling in putts earlier than the 13th hole.

Thanks for your insightful comments - play good this weekend!

Congrats Matt. You've got me actually following the Mackenzie Tour now. I wonder how many other guys/gals on this board actually check the scores now. The tour should give you some credit for gaining them attention and get some other guys doing similar things, would help in people getting familiar with players before they hit the big time.

Side note: funny about just stepping up and hitting the putt, I stopped taking practice swings for putts about a year ago after hearing a sports psychologist say something about other sports not taking practice swings and wasted motion, blah, blah. Never putted better.

Go low tomorrow, you got random people out there pulling for you.

For anyone following along, talked to Matthew and he said he just had a very bad ball striking day, total case of hitting it left. He was able to get it figured out on back 9 and even more so on the range after but he said he hit it awful. I don't play myself, just watch sometimes. So interesting how you can go from just hitting it beautiful to having an issue next day.. Anyway, one more round and hopefully he has a good one tomorrow. Then he is off to Thunder Bay for next weeks event.

Add on- considering he said he hit it "really really bad, about 20-40 yards left with irons" shooting +1 is pretty solid. He said he got up and down a lot.. Yay for short game skills..

Very Very Nicely Played!!

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Thought that was the low round of the week until I saw the guy second bottom posted a 63 friday only to follow with 80 and 74.

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Thought that was the low round of the week until I saw the guy second bottom posted a 63 friday only to follow with 80 and 74.

I thought it tied for low round of the week. Then I saw a 62! By William Kropp in the second round. That's insane!

Didn't even cross my mind to ctrl+f 62 when I saw there was only one 63

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

Congrats Matt. You've got me actually following the Mackenzie Tour now. I wonder how many other guys/gals on this board actually check the scores now. The tour should give you some credit for gaining them attention and get some other guys doing similar things, would help in people getting familiar with players before they hit the big time.

Side note: funny about just stepping up and hitting the putt, I stopped taking practice swings for putts about a year ago after hearing a sports psychologist say something about other sports not taking practice swings and wasted motion, blah, blah. Never putted better.

Go low tomorrow, you got random people out there pulling for you.

Thank you for the support. Just tweet my twitter handle with the Mckenzie Tour twitter handle. Get my name out there!

Very Very Nicely Played!!

Fairways & Greens, Pins & Cups 4ever,

Richard

Thanks, always fun when I stripe it and make a couple putts.

Sixty freakin Four! That is some seriously good shooting right there! Good luck next week!

I am amazed how you can self correct during a tourney. I can't imagine a lot of guys being able to do that. My guess is most would need the guidance of their swing coach. Great skill to have

Thank you. It's a good skill that I have...being able to self correct. It comes in handy on such instances.

The hole got bigger today!!!

Great round and keep it up.

More like I was sticking approach shots. But its all about making a few putts early and I did that. Really does make the hole bigger.

The most impressive thing to me is that this year basically started out like s*** for you-

Conditional status everywhere yet you had no Tour to call home and no set schedule-

Mentally, this is very taxing to a veteran and my Tour Bud, who's had his Tour card for 16 of his 24 years since college(he has one victory) said that this is the hardest thing to adjust to and to be able to not know when or where you'll be Playing next and then ya get the phone call/e-mail and you're off to the tournament and then you've gotta keep your focus on your next shot and not the thought that you have to perform better than the card carrying members to get into next week's tourney, well, for you to do this as a second year Pro, and to not let a poor round Stay in your head is an amazing act!!

I realize that you've done this your whole life and this is why I've told your Mother that you will be there in the end, because you always have been and while the stage is different as are some of the faces, you are the same and that has always been good enough and so too shall it be this time.

You have put yourself in the driver's seat for the remainder of this season and are in fact in a better position than you were last year!!

Yes, there is much left to do and I'm sure you're anxious to put four sub 70 rounds together because you have already Proven that you can go low, however you have much to be proud of. You've hopped on planes, showed up cold, grinded your a** off and shot the lights out!!!

Now that you've put yourself in the driver's seat, finish strong Bro!!

Finish Strong!!

Always,

Richard

The most impressive thing to me is that this year basically started out like s*** for you-

Conditional status everywhere yet you had no Tour to call home and no set schedule-

Mentally, this is very taxing to a veteran and my Tour Bud, who's had his Tour card for 16 of his 24 years since college(he has one victory) said that this is the hardest thing to adjust to and to be able to not know when or where you'll be Playing next and then ya get the phone call/e-mail and you're off to the tournament and then you've gotta keep your focus on your next shot and not the thought that you have to perform better than the card carrying members to get into next week's tourney, well, for you to do this as a second year Pro, and to not let a poor round Stay in your head is an amazing act!!

I realize that you've done this your whole life and this is why I've told your Mother that you will be there in the end, because you always have been and while the stage is different as are some of the faces, you are the same and that has always been good enough and so too shall it be this time.

You have put yourself in the driver's seat for the remainder of this season and are in fact in a better position than you were last year!!

Yes, there is much left to do and I'm sure you're anxious to put four sub 70 rounds together because you have already Proven that you can go low, however you have much to be proud of. You've hopped on planes, showed up cold, grinded your a** off and shot the lights out!!!

Now that you've put yourself in the driver's seat, finish strong Bro!!

Finish Strong!!

Always,

Richard

What a bully.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1