Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

Happy New Years everyone. To all my new followers welcome to an inside of what its like to be a grinding tour pro trying to make it to the PGA Tour. To all my original followers glad you are still with me.

Yesterday I got a tweak Lasik surgery to my right eye to get my vision in that eye better than 20/30. I will be resting for the next week letting that recover. Then my schedule begins at the end of this month starting in Bakersfield.

The goal this year is to build confidence, learn how to win and give myself the best chance at the end of the year at Web.com q school to make it through. Along the way I will be looking at traveling doing more state Opens and Web.com Monday qualifiers. I know I have been able to get hooked up with a few of you on here and you have offered up your homes when I have traveled to Monday qualifiers (shout out to those people). If anyone out there has friends or knows anyone in any States that has a place I would be thankful for getting connected with the.

For example I am looking to travel to Louisiana and Georgia in March. Mississippi and Indiana in April. Tennessee and South and North Carolina in May. Illinois and Kansas in June. Utah, Nebraska, and Montana in July.

As many of you know new and old followers funding for us striving PGA tours is important and anything helps. I will continue to post in depth practice routines and rounds. If there is anything else you would like to have me talk about please let me know on here. Thanks and Happy 2018

Not listed in your post - but if you're trying to Monday for the LECOM Health Challenge in early July in Western NY, we would be happy to host/feed you - we live 20-30 minutes away. I'd even be happy to loop, as I have played the course a few times.

I don't have many questions at the time, but love seeing your posts, so keep it coming - just even the most random updates are interesting to me!

Awesome! Thanks. I will take you up on that offer if that Monday qualifier fits into my schedule.

Year in review with some photos: Won a GS Mini Tour event. Made 8/10 cuts in PGA Tour Canada. Did some awesome clinics with Juniors and members while in Canada. Explored and made sure I experienced more in Canada. Caddied for a buddy on the weekend. My dad got to caddy on the weekend. Had a lot of other good events throughout the year. Gave myself a chance at US Open Sectionals with 18 holes to play. Learned a lot,had some heartbreak and bad luck. Bounced back. New game plan going into 2018.

Year in review with some photos: Won a GS Mini Tour event. Made 8/10 cuts in PGA Tour Canada. Did some awesome clinics with Juniors and members while in Canada. Explored and made sure I experienced more in Canada. Caddied for a buddy on the weekend. My dad got to caddy on the weekend. Had a lot of other good events throughout the year. Gave myself a chance at US Open Sectionals with 18 holes to play. Learned a lot,had some heartbreak and bad luck. Bounced back. New game plan going into 2018.

Get ready for a Matt and Chad takeover!!!

• 1 month later...

I hope the start of your guys 2018 has been great. I began my 2018 with some solid golf. I traveled to Bakersfield to play in a mini tour where I finished T8th and doubled my money for the week which is always the goal. Ball striking is how I will win tournaments and why my scores are usually very consistent. Immediately after I finished that event last Friday, I drove home to do laundry. I spent the night there and drove to Monterey the next morning for a new tournament at Bayonet Golf Course.

This event was basically a US Open. Firm and fast greens that were almost impossible to hold. I began the even with a 1 under par, only 12 guys finished the round under par out of 90. The next day the pins were tough and I fired 1 over par. Even par after two was T8th going into the final round. The final round I started off great and hit great putts but they didn't go in. I finished the day at 3 over par. Only 8 guys out of 90 finished under par for the tournament. Here is the link. I highly recommend playing Bayonet if you are in the area. https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/3940050988727051540

The next day...yesterday...I did an ISM pro am at Bayonet. If you checked out my twitter at MattHansenGolf you can see all the photos and my photo with Frank Nobilo the speaker they had for after. Basically this event is for big businesses to purchase a package for a round of golf, food and alcohol, tickets into the ATT&T Pro Am and access to a house on pebble beach golf course. There were many smaller tour pros like myself scattered on both Bayonet and Blackhorse hitting tee shots on Par 5s or Par 3s. I was on hole 10 at Bayonet so I just smashed driver all day. I hit a couple out to 330. Not bad for sea level.

Love it Matt. Continued support here for you!

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Hey Matt,

i noticed on recent tournament results the overall winner over a three round tournament had 18 birdies and you had 7 or 8. still great golf, but in your opinion what do you think you need to do to make more birdies. putt better within 15ft, hit approach shots closer, or alter course management and be more aggressive.

just curious if you have any idea on where your game compares to the to couple of guys at the top of leaderboard. is it just a matter of them getting hot with a putter, or do you see specific area of your game you think needs work to make more birdies and get a win.

thanks for the feedback as always. enjoy following the thread and your journey in pro golf

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Hey Matt,

i noticed on recent tournament results the overall winner over a three round tournament had 18 birdies and you had 7 or 8. still great golf, but in your opinion what do you think you need to do to make more birdies. putt better within 15ft, hit approach shots closer, or alter course management and be more aggressive.

just curious if you have any idea on where your game compares to the to couple of guys at the top of leaderboard. is it just a matter of them getting hot with a putter, or do you see specific area of your game you think needs work to make more birdies and get a win.

thanks for the feedback as always. enjoy following the thread and your journey in pro golf

Putting and hitting the ball closer. But mostly putter. In all my under par rounds I am statistically losing 2 to 3 shots. For example if you make a 7 footer you gain .5 shots if you mss you lose .5 shots. Over the course of the round I am losing shots. Winners make a lot of putts. I hit the ball well enough to give me plenty of opportunities. Need to learn to get hot more often.

If your going to be in the Midwest during June there’s a tournament in St. Louis. If memory serves me I think the winner got 25k last year. We usually have a handful of mini tour players show up as there is another tournament nearby the week before.

I will try to fit it in my calendar. Thats a good question for all of you.

Best events in your state that have the biggest winning purses??? Reply and list if you guys know any.

Why are you skipping the Colorado Open? It's in July with $250K in prize pool and $100K to first.

Thats a top tournament on my list.

Played a mini tour event for fun and ended up paired with a guy who played at Oregon, played 3 US Opens, etc. and low and behold still couldn't manage to hold Web.com Status.

Golf is just so crazy to me ... these guys make it look so easy and yet just like us they lose it.

Asked the guy the difference between Amateur's like myself and Pros ... essentially told me I hit the ball good enough tee to green but my short game sucks a** :stink: ... so true.

Ugg I need a practice green in my backyard.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face

• 2 weeks later...

Updates. Last two events in February were at Bayonet and last week at Carlton Oaks. I gave my chance to win in both these events. First in the Bayonet Championship I was top 8 going into the final round and 4 off the lead. Had some bad breaks and didn't have my A game so I finished in the top 20.

Last week I traveled down to San Diego for an event in Santee CA. A course that is easy and challenging at the same time depending on the weather conditions. After my 5 under 67 in the first round I was leading the three day event. I gained 3.6 shots putting that day. The next day was a great ball striking day and putts just slipped by the hole. I was 6 under par and 2 back going into the final round. The final round the leader and I both shot 4 over, the wind was 20 mph the majority of the day. Only 4 guys of the 70 shot under par in the final round. I ended up dropping to 7th place but it was a good event since I was in the leader group and learned some good things going forward.

I just hope to continue my good play and continue to learn what I need to improve.

Updates. Last two events in February were at Bayonet and last week at Carlton Oaks. I gave my chance to win in both these events. First in the Bayonet Championship I was top 8 going into the final round and 4 off the lead. Had some bad breaks and didn't have my A game so I finished in the top 20.

Last week I traveled down to San Diego for an event in Santee CA. A course that is easy and challenging at the same time depending on the weather conditions. After my 5 under 67 in the first round I was leading the three day event. I gained 3.6 shots putting that day. The next day was a great ball striking day and putts just slipped by the hole. I was 6 under par and 2 back going into the final round. The final round the leader and I both shot 4 over, the wind was 20 mph the majority of the day. Only 4 guys of the 70 shot under par in the final round. I ended up dropping to 7th place but it was a good event since I was in the leader group and learned some good things going forward.

I just hope to continue my good play and continue to learn what I need to improve.

Carlton oaks can be tough when the wind is going because it funnels through that valley. That course can also get in rough shape late summer and you get to deal with conditions that are unfavorable as well.

UPDATE FOR YOU ALL

Now that I am running on my winnings and money that I have saved up I have to pick and choose the best events to do. I will be reaching out to those who have offered up there houses for a week in a tournament because for guys at our level that could allow us to play in one more tournament in a year and that could be the breakthrough. I am getting to the point that is very challenging for most of us. I gave it 3 years and was oh so close to making it when I made it to FINAL Stage in December 2015. I have had some success in PGA Canada as well.j

Now is when I need to put the pedal down and work harder in order to make it. I have a great plan in order to improve my putting. I have been updating my website with recent results for you guys:

Since I am on the grind every penny matters, so any 50 bucks here or there when I can get it matters. I need to be even more frugal yet still take care of myself. I also need to start playing amazing golf...no pressure. That is why I am down in Palm Springs not playing a tournament but I am caddying at the Ladies Member Guest at the Vintage Club. I have a free place to stay and will make anywhere between 200 and 400 dollars. I will do most things to make a quick buck because by caddying it will allow me to play for a Monday qualifier entry fee. I am also continuing to promote myself through this: https://www.gofundme.com/alb6z0

Go check out my website and if you want follow me on twitter. Also ask any questions you could have.

http://www.matthansengolf.com

Dude how good were those last two kids at our clinic we had in calgary?! I forgot about that, thanks for uploading that picture. Fun to see again, play well this year buddy!

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

^^ Interesting. That article is a good baseline breakdown but it doesn't come anywhere close to the real cost of a full schedule of golf, caddies, coaches and travel per year. I think he forgot a zero in there somewhere, wouldn't you agree? :)

It’s pretty accurate for playing 15 events on a regional mini tour. The type of events that have entry fees of $250-$850 aren’t going to require caddies. And they are couch surfing half the events. I’ve had players play a full season (20 events or so) on the hooters tour (back when you could make real money) and spend about $35k, and that’s with much higher entry fee cost but driving rather than flying. Her estimated air travel cost are extremely optimistic but I don’t know any players flying to play a mini tour with $250-850 entry fees.

^^ Interesting. That article is a good baseline breakdown but it doesn't come anywhere close to the real cost of a full schedule of golf, caddies, coaches and travel per year. I think he forgot a zero in there somewhere, wouldn't you agree? :)

Yes, Matthew's expenses were higher due to Canada travel and Latin America.. That probably would be enough for just local mini tour stuff but definitely not what a desirable pro schedule with Monday qualifiers caddies etc.. agreed

Good post on this site about cost of pursuing pro golf for anyone who may not have seen it yet..

http://www.golfwrx.c...aying-pro-golf/

I read this since I follow this girl on social media outlets. She is drastically underestimating the costs for the desired amount of events to play. It is very well written though. Pepsi tour and local mini tours is about that. But if you fly or drive or play bigger mini tour events the costs go to 800 to 1200 for entry. My full season of q schools and playing up in Canada, which comes to about 30 events in a year, ranges from 40-50K

Dude how good were those last two kids at our clinic we had in calgary?! I forgot about that, thanks for uploading that picture. Fun to see again, play well this year buddy!

So good! Play well this year too.

Happy New Years everyone. To all my new followers welcome to an inside of what its like to be a grinding tour pro trying to make it to the PGA Tour. To all my original followers glad you are still with me.

Yesterday I got a tweak Lasik surgery to my right eye to get my vision in that eye better than 20/30. I will be resting for the next week letting that recover. Then my schedule begins at the end of this month starting in Bakersfield.

The goal this year is to build confidence, learn how to win and give myself the best chance at the end of the year at Web.com q school to make it through. Along the way I will be looking at traveling doing more state Opens and Web.com Monday qualifiers. I know I have been able to get hooked up with a few of you on here and you have offered up your homes when I have traveled to Monday qualifiers (shout out to those people). If anyone out there has friends or knows anyone in any States that has a place I would be thankful for getting connected with the.

For example I am looking to travel to Louisiana and Georgia in March. Mississippi and Indiana in April. Tennessee and South and North Carolina in May. Illinois and Kansas in June. Utah, Nebraska, and Montana in July.

As many of you know new and old followers funding for us striving PGA tours is important and anything helps. I will continue to post in depth practice routines and rounds. If there is anything else you would like to have me talk about please let me know on here. Thanks and Happy 2018

Hi Matt,

Are you planning on coming back to Canada this year?

Driver - Titleist TSR3
Hybrid - Ping G430  
Irons - Titleist T 150 - MMT 125
Wedges - SM9 50,54,60
Putter - Scotty NP2

Anyone Knoxville or within an hour of there able to house me for a week? I'm looking to come to a Web.com Monday and if I don't get in there is a SwingThought Tour Event. The events would be May 7th to May 14th if I get in the Web.com event. Im starting to build my schedule and I need to keep costs as low as possible. I might as well throw it out there and ask.

Hi Matt,

Are you planning on coming back to Canada this year?

I won't be coming back to Canada this season. Reasons are firstly that I have not improved my scores the last three years as a pro but I have improved my game. So instead of doing the same exact season structure I've been doing I want to change it up. I need to learn to win and shoot low scores and I will be doing so at events that are decently paying and a good bang for my buck. To improve I have to try a different schedule and change things up because doing the same thing over and over with no results is the definition of insanity.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for a mom update.. First off, Matthew is currently playing in a tournament in Palm Springs area, its a Golden State event but it has a lot of really good players, including Charlie Wi (yes THE Charlie).. So far he is off to a sweet start..

https://goldencuptour.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/goldencuptour18/event/goldencuptour1818/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Second news, there is a new girlfriend whom we have not met yet but we have face timed.. She seems very kind and down to earth and has a great career as an engineer at Chevron, so thats nice. He has planned out his schedule for the most part and although there won't be Canada (boo hoo) he will be doing a lot of tournaments on the Dakota's tour (with the plan to make some serious $$) and monday qualifiers, state opens and such to ready for Web Q school.

Next month is US Open local and he will play La Purisima which he knows very well and has made it thru the past 2 years there, its May 10th, I will get to watch.. I enjoy that. 11 days later there is an event in Scottsdale which I will also get to go to, it was a great event last year, large field good money. Looking forward to that as well.

Confidence and a new girlfriend are pretty good things to have for golf. :)