2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Life of a Conditional Web.com Member

GolfingBro

As someone who recently got the chance to play with a few conditional folks (web.com and mackenzie) and hear their struggles... My hat seriously goes off to you for keeping the fire and dream alive. I'm trying to get through the original few pages in this thread, but these last couple updates have been awesome to read. Keep grinding, and of course... keep posting!

Thank you and I will continue to post and please ask anything you can think of or would want to know.

Shoutout to Matt! I just turned on the TV during lunch to see what was on and on TSN, there was a show called "This is the PGA Tour Canada--Mackenzie Tour." It was cool, it showed highlights of the top of the leaderboard for the tournament at National Pines but then, they had a segment with Matt, where he guided the viewers on how to putt from 15-30 feet! It was awesome. Keep up the great work!

Good to hear I did an ok job!

You doing 1st stage of Web Q-School this year Matt?

Yes in Maricopa AZ at Southern Dunes

Good luck man!! make it happen

Thank you!

Do you know your tee times for stage 1? Does anyone walk with the groups at these event, Im thinking about driving down for one of the rounds.

Ill chime in here, people do watch q schools, it is free, there are not as many spectators in these earlier stages, the year he was at finals there was a ton. Here is a link to his site and the field. Tee times are not posted yet but I would think perhaps tomorrow late or maybe Monday early. The last 2 rounds well be pending scoring.

https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq17/event/pgatq1714/index.htm

Yesterday I drove down to Palm Springs to split up the drive to Arizona and get good practice in at a General Managers course. This guy is nice enough to let me stay at his house and practice at his course. Great course called Desert Horizons CC. Yesterday I went straight to the course after being on the road for 5 and half hours. I practiced for 2 and half hours and then went to the house to rest. Today I had the course to myself. It is still off season down here so non of the snow birds have returned for the winter yet. I have some pictures of the course. Spent the whole afternoon there. Tomorrow morning I wake up and drive the rest of the 4 hours to Maricopa. I will practice and play 9 holes and then play 18 Monday morning.

The Very Best to You this week?

Thoughts & Prayers

Fairways Greens Pins & Cups 4ever

RIchard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Does your on course practice differ for rounds where you are on the course you will be playing in a tournament vs on a course that ou have no upcoming tournaments and you are out practicing to get better at golf vs getting to know the course?

When practicing on course, are you keeping score, playing multiple balls, hitting multiple clubs from the tee, replaying only bad shots, or just dropping several balls around the green and practicing your short game?

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Decent start Matt with the 1 under. Was the course playing "relatively" easy today for elite level tournament golf? Never seen a 7,500+ yard course get shredded in tournament play like this. Two guys with double digit birdie counts with guys still on the course.

Maybe too soon, and sorry if it is, but sorry it didn't go well. Anybody who has gone through this grind

Of a career knows these are tough days.

It's been a big year, the Nike changes, some game discoveries, and some good rounds and results. Sometimes

People don't understand how much timing of when your game comes around will make or break a year.

Rest, recover, reset goals.

It has been said before, but great job on this thread. I'm certain everyone who follows is eager to see you reach your next

Goals....

Hang in there

Maybe too soon, and sorry if it is, but sorry it didn't go well. Anybody who has gone through this grind

Of a career knows these are tough days.

It's been a big year, the Nike changes, some game discoveries, and some good rounds and results. Sometimes

People don't understand how much timing of when your game comes around will make or break a year.

Rest, recover, reset goals.

It has been said before, but great job on this thread. I'm certain everyone who follows is eager to see you reach your next

Goals....

Hang in there

Thank you. For those who didn't follow along at First stage of q school...I had the worst tournament I have had all year. Golf sucks sometimes and everything can go against you and that happened last week. My misses ended in terrible places, my putts never went in. Just an awful week that I will learn from but I will also forget about and move forward.

Matt...how does the Nike decision to leave the equipment business impact you? Will you continue to wear the apparel?

I will continue to wear apparel. I have extra balls, gloves and backup irons and wedges. So in the immediate future I am ok. I will be trying new balls. For example I got callaway balls sent to me. I will try them. Companies don't have room for developmental tour guys. So I will just get on the PGA tour to get some free clubs again.

Are you able to stock up a bit before they quick making the stuff?

Matt...how does the Nike decision to leave the equipment business impact you? Will you continue to wear the apparel?

I will continue to wear apparel. I have extra balls, gloves and backup irons and wedges. So in the immediate future I am ok. I will be trying new balls. For example I got callaway balls sent to me. I will try them. Companies don't have room for developmental tour guys. So I will just get on the PGA tour to get some free clubs again.

Are you able to stock up a bit before they quick making the stuff?

Already beginning the switch to Taylormade stuff, apparel will still be the same Nike stuff.

Does your on course practice differ for rounds where you are on the course you will be playing in a tournament vs on a course that ou have no upcoming tournaments and you are out practicing to get better at golf vs getting to know the course?

When practicing on course, are you keeping score, playing multiple balls, hitting multiple clubs from the tee, replaying only bad shots, or just dropping several balls around the green and practicing your short game?

Yes it is different. Preparing for a tournament I putt and chip to places either where I know there will be a pin or where I think there will be a pin. When I am just playing I putt and chip to the hole cut in the greens. Preparing for a tournament I will aim approach shots to difficult parts of the greens were I think there will be a pin even if the actually cut pin isn't there. I hit chips and putts that would be very common places for example just below a false front or below a tier. I get a clear picture on how I want to play that hole for the week and have a plan for certain pins and certain conditions if they change.

Practicing on course I either play for score, hit multiple shots and multiple balls focusing on result and ball flight. I like to hit 2 drives off the tee (if Im not playing for score) and try to get them right next to each other (practicing consistency). Sometimes I hit one high and one low tee shot. Other times I practice I take into account the next tournament I am playing and I hit the clubs I know I will be hitting at that upcoming course. I drop a couple extra chips around greens too.

Are you familiar with Scott Fawcett's DECADE Course Management Systemf? If so, what are your thoughts?

My swing coach is and I am not. I hear it helps identify parts of your game that needs improvement using statistics.

More than anything else, it is a formulated course management system. He recommends first learning about his principles and applying them in an emotionless environment, so it may be best to consider these things after the weekend.

His goal is for golfers to optimize their target selection throughout the bag. He believes his course management principles help a player choose the "optimal target that will produce the lowest score based on distance, hazards [& trees], and hole locations."

The following two links, a youtube video and a podcast, will give you a sense of his approach to course management:

[media=]

[/media]

http://www.stitcher....5?autoplay=true

Though we take aim at our target like we are shooting a sniper rifle, Fawcett's point is that our dispersion pattern is more like a shotgun pattern than a sniper rifle. After knowing one's respective dispersion with a particular club (even on a particular day), while being mindful of hazards, trees, pin locations and the short-side, most of the time players should aim toward the center of their dispersion pattern and play aggressively to their spot.

Long story short, if applied consistently and wisely, young professionals can manage their way around the course like similar to a 25 year vet like Jim Furyk or Jerry Kelly.

Awesome, thank you.

Just curious if you have tried implementing any of his course management principles. If so, what were your thoughts? Wishing you the very best this Fall.

Ping g430max 10k 10.5*- rogue white 130 60tx
sim2ti 15* - speeder evo 3 757x
ping g425 20.5* - rogue 125 80tx
4-gw ap1 jpx921 hm/hm pro - 120x1’s
 sm5 56.10 - s400ti
sm8 60m - s400ti
piretti potenza ii 365g 34"

Are you familiar with Scott Fawcett's DECADE Course Management Systemf? If so, what are your thoughts?

My swing coach is and I am not. I hear it helps identify parts of your game that needs improvement using statistics.

More than anything else, it is a formulated course management system. He recommends first learning about his principles and applying them in an emotionless environment, so it may be best to consider these things after the weekend.

His goal is for golfers to optimize their target selection throughout the bag. He believes his course management principles help a player choose the "optimal target that will produce the lowest score based on distance, hazards [& trees], and hole locations."

The following two links, a youtube video and a podcast, will give you a sense of his approach to course management:

[media=]

[/media]

http://www.stitcher....5?autoplay=true

Though we take aim at our target like we are shooting a sniper rifle, Fawcett's point is that our dispersion pattern is more like a shotgun pattern than a sniper rifle. After knowing one's respective dispersion with a particular club (even on a particular day), while being mindful of hazards, trees, pin locations and the short-side, most of the time players should aim toward the center of their dispersion pattern and play aggressively to their spot.

Long story short, if applied consistently and wisely, young professionals can manage their way around the course like similar to a 25 year vet like Jim Furyk or Jerry Kelly.

Awesome, thank you.

Just curious if you have tried implementing any of his course management principles. If so, what were your thoughts? Wishing you the very best this Fall.

Today had an end of the year meeting and planning for the 2018. One of the plans was look into Decade and start implementing it. I can have updates and my thoughts on this blog once I do.

Thanks for all the well wishes. This past week I met with my swing coach to discuss plans moving forward. Since the last three years my progress has been stagnate we needed to switch up the way I do things. Attached is the daily practice plan going forward. I also am keeping a notebook in my bag and writing down my results in order to track them. Its a switch from what I have been doing because "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results"

Like others, just recently found the post - really wonderful of you and your mother to take the time you have on this forum. There are many who simply can't live the dream but are fascinated by it (me included, for sure!) and really enjoy following along. Can't say that I knew anything about Mackenzie Tour before this thread (other than its existence) but will be a close follower now.

Wish you the best in the 'offseason' and if you ever find your way to northwestern PA or western NY, you certainly have a place to crash! (We have a web.com event in July about 20 minutes from my home!)

I will think of a number of questions - but can you talk about differences between the Mackenzie and web.com events in terms of field quality, tournament quality, etc.?? As mentioned above, I have been to a few web.com events, but never one up north.

Like others, just recently found the post - really wonderful of you and your mother to take the time you have on this forum. There are many who simply can't live the dream but are fascinated by it (me included, for sure!) and really enjoy following along. Can't say that I knew anything about Mackenzie Tour before this thread (other than its existence) but will be a close follower now.

Wish you the best in the 'offseason' and if you ever find your way to northwestern PA or western NY, you certainly have a place to crash! (We have a web.com event in July about 20 minutes from my home!)

I will think of a number of questions - but can you talk about differences between the Mackenzie and web.com events in terms of field quality, tournament quality, etc.?? As mentioned above, I have been to a few web.com events, but never one up north.

Thank you.

The Mackenzie Tour has shown over the years to breed high quality players that have success on the Web and PGA Tours. CT Pang, Mackenzie Hughes, JJ Spaun are a few who were on the tour 3 years ago. And there are many more names who will continue to find success on the higher tours.

The events are run just as you would see on the Web.com just on a smaller scale due to not enough funding. There are signs, scorers, spotters and the occasional scoreboard. The tours goal is to create an environment that is just like what you would see moving up in the ranks. I myself have not played in the higher events but have been told they are very similar. The courses we get aren't as nice as the upper tours every week just because it is smaller and doesn't have the money to get the best course in each city.