2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

SO this funky looking ball was left at the edge of a cornfield. I know that it's an older Ping model (duh) but don't know much else. It's in near perfect shape. Feels really different coming off my putter face (almost hollow) so it's left me wondering about its properties.

Anyone have any insights?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Nice find PD. The old Ping two-tone golf ball. There's a collector's market for them, certain colors and combinations are quite valuable. There was an all black one (IIRC) that's worth a fair amount. You now have a collection of one. Add it to your ball display rack.

Don't know how dated the following is, or current values. But worthwhile info.

http://pingballs.com/values.htm

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Nice find PD. The old Ping two-tone golf ball. There's a collector's market for them, certain colors and combinations are quite valuable. There was an all black one (IIRC) that's worth a fair amount. You now have a collection of one. Add it to your ball display rack.

Don't know how dated the following is, or current values. But worthwhile info.

http://pingballs.com/values.htm

I'd never seen one, and so I knew I had a ball of age.

Is this an Eye 2 model ball?

Late 80s?

I collect golf balls from courses I've played. This will go in the cabinet.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I'm no expert by any stretch. But I think that's a Ping Eye. The E2's had "Eye Two" printed on the ball. Would think that the age would be relative to when the irons were available. The first E2's came out in '82. So perhaps sometime before that. A number of balls on the Bay for reference purposes.

Can't believe that one was at the edge of a cornfield for very long. To nice of shape. I'd be P.O. losing one like that. On the course, or in a cornfield. At best, a putting only ball.

Just noticed: Happy Canada Day to our north of the border brethren. Our in your case PD, those to the south.

I'm no expert by any stretch. But I think that's a Ping Eye. The E2's had "Eye Two" printed on the ball. Would think that the age would be relative to when the irons were available. The first E2's came out in '82. So perhaps sometime before that. A number of balls on the Bay for reference purposes.

Can't believe that one was at the edge of a cornfield for very long. To nice of shape. I'd be P.O. losing one like that. On the course, or in a cornfield. At best, a putting only ball.

Just noticed: Happy Canada Day to our north of the border brethren. Our in your case PD, those to the south.

The golfer who lost the ball was probably unaware of its value. The ball doesn't have a single blemish and was found in plain sight about a yard OB. One of the perks of being first out is that I get to collect the remains of the previous day.

Happy Canada day is right. Here's my Canada Day set up . . .

I'll be on the round for the 4th so I'll send early birthday wishes to all who live 'North' of the border.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

That Ping ball is awesome! What a great find especially in that condition. Yesterday I found a Pro V1x with the Trump International Golf Club logo on it...thought that was pretty interesting as I live in GA, I am always curious of the stories behind lost balls...

I recently got my first true hybrid, TM M1 rescue 19deg. I played one of the original Rescues from TM when they first came out but mine was a full on hook machine-interesting because at that time I hit every other club to the right..lol. I picked it up used from the classifieds and it came with two shafts- Kuro Kage HyS 80g, super high launch, a little loose for me but the ball flew high and landed softly, almost no roll out. Had to set the weight to the fade side to stop the hooks with this set up.

Next round out I stuck the other shaft in it, an Aldila Tour Blue in TM TP graphics 85g TX, does not appear to be a hybrid shaft. I kept the weight in the fade setting. Didn't get much range time with this set up, few balls after the round, but on the course this set up produced low bullets that rolled out extremely well. This set up was a hole saver twice when my drives hit tree branched and fell straight down. Both times I needed it it delivered a low launch shot that flew well and rolled out nicely. After the round I tried a few off a tee and got a mid-high flight with a little fade on it.

I feel like the best shaft for me, for this club, is somewhere between these two. If I had to stick with one of the above I think the low launch and run that the Tour Blue provided would help me most where I would need this club- botched tee shot recovery or second shot on a par 5. Of course the "Ho" in me already has another shaft inbound: Matrix Ozik Xcon Altus 80X so we will see what happens with that.

Is there a hybrid set-up you prefer? Fly high land soft? Low bullet that's so easy out of the rough? Or somewhere in between?

I generally like my hybrids to fly high and land softly and have predictable yardages with them. I think

of them as iron replacements. If I need to advance my ball as far as possible, off the deck, then I'll hit

a 3 or 4 wood or if my ball is in a fluffy lie I may get gutsy and hit driver, lol.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I have a Ping ball as well. I forget the color. It's in a dresser drawer in the bedroom. It's been there for

several years now. I haven't looked at in a while. I don't even remember where I found it. I think I mentioned

it once here in the Grille or maybe in Confessions.

SLED Gemini

The golfer who lost the ball was probably unaware of its value. The ball doesn't have a single blemish and was found in plain sight about a yard OB. One of the perks of being first out is that I get to collect the remains of the previous day.

Happy Canada day is right. Here's my Canada Day set up . . .

I'll be on the round for the 4th so I'll send early birthday wishes to all who live 'North' of the border.

UHHH HUUUH I thinks I knows where the 2 iron that goes with that set is

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I generally like my hybrids to fly high and land softly and have predictable yardages with them. I think

of them as iron replacements. If I need to advance my ball as far as possible, off the deck, then I'll hit

a 3 or 4 wood or if my ball is in a fluffy lie I may get gutsy and hit driver, lol.

The one I carry I think of as an iron supplement or an auxiliary club. It is sorta a trick get out of jail club for me

I have a Ping ball as well. I forget the color. It's in a dresser drawer in the bedroom. It's been there for

several years now. I haven't looked at in a while. I don't even remember where I found it. I think I mentioned

it once here in the Grille or maybe in Confessions.

I am glad the subject got brought up on the Ping balls. I have about 10 of the red and white ones. Saw two of them one night in a bag of wiffle balls at Goodwill. Bought the whole thing for $1.98. Ended up there were more in the bag along with one of those high dollar ball mark repair tools from Sawgrass in Florida. I know my course sells that same tool with our logo for $20.

That Ping ball is awesome! What a great find especially in that condition. Yesterday I found a Pro V1x with the Trump International Golf Club logo on it...thought that was pretty interesting as I live in GA, I am always curious of the stories behind lost balls...

I recently got my first true hybrid, TM M1 rescue 19deg. I played one of the original Rescues from TM when they first came out but mine was a full on hook machine-interesting because at that time I hit every other club to the right..lol. I picked it up used from the classifieds and it came with two shafts- Kuro Kage HyS 80g, super high launch, a little loose for me but the ball flew high and landed softly, almost no roll out. Had to set the weight to the fade side to stop the hooks with this set up.

Next round out I stuck the other shaft in it, an Aldila Tour Blue in TM TP graphics 85g TX, does not appear to be a hybrid shaft. I kept the weight in the fade setting. Didn't get much range time with this set up, few balls after the round, but on the course this set up produced low bullets that rolled out extremely well. This set up was a hole saver twice when my drives hit tree branched and fell straight down. Both times I needed it it delivered a low launch shot that flew well and rolled out nicely. After the round I tried a few off a tee and got a mid-high flight with a little fade on it.

I feel like the best shaft for me, for this club, is somewhere between these two. If I had to stick with one of the above I think the low launch and run that the Tour Blue provided would help me most where I would need this club- botched tee shot recovery or second shot on a par 5. Of course the "Ho" in me already has another shaft inbound: Matrix Ozik Xcon Altus 80X so we will see what happens with that.

Is there a hybrid set-up you prefer? Fly high land soft? Low bullet that's so easy out of the rough? Or somewhere in between?

For me it is the fly high land soft since I still carry and hit long irons. Mine is mostly a pinpoint landing club for layups etc. I also like it out of fairway bunkers and hardpan lies near the edge of the fairway. I can hit the little bullet stinger with it but I can also do that with the 2 3 or 4 irons. If it is really windy here the hybrid will come out and one of my 2 irons will go in.

Driver off the deck/rough is gutsy in my book! I don’t have that shot in the bag. I hear you on hybrids as iron replacements, before this I carried a 21deg Apex it was definitely longer than my 4i and was still and iron so to speak, and it played like one for me. The Rescue is playing a good bit different and like I mentioned I have no real experience with true hybrids so I am finding my way with this club. So far I am liking it as an “eraser” of sorts, helping me make up ground on a poor tee shot, or teeing off with on par 4s that dogleg or the like...? I’m sure as I play it more I’ll get a better feel for it’s capabilities but I’m liking it in the bag even with its limited role.

For me it is the fly high land soft since I still carry and hit long irons. Mine is mostly a pinpoint landing club for layups etc. I also like it out of fairway bunkers and hardpan lies near the edge of the fairway. I can hit the little bullet stinger with it but I can also do that with the 2 3 or 4 irons. If it is really windy here the hybrid will come out and one of my 2 irons will go in.

Nothing about my game is “pinpoint” ...lol...but I can see the usefulness of using it as you describe it. For me at the moment it’s just a bigger hammer than my Apex was...lol. With a new shaft inbound I hope to find a better mix of high and soft as well as low bullet when needed.

For a low shot you want a mid to high kick point on your shaft. I see you're playing X flex shafts. You must

be generating some speed. To keep the ball down go with a higher kick point and for the high shots go with

a low kick shaft. It's not really complicated but these shaft makers want to make it seem like rocket science.

For example; my PL Blue shafts are low kick/soft tip shafts. What I like about them is that they are low torque

shafts in the mid to low 2s which really helps to keep the shot dispersion tighter. The PL Red is a high kick

low torque shaft that would probably fit the bill for you and only run you about $30-40 new. Those shafts are

pretty stout and launch low.

SLED Gemini

BTW, Spooky, you may have noticed we have lulls in the Grille from time to time. It just happens sometimes

and then it will pick back up. I know Reasy, Scotee and Scomac are out of town and off the grid and Lobstah

is on sabbatical so we have a few out for a spell.

SLED Gemini

HHHHmmmmmm…………………...tempting...………..now forged. Sweet looking irons. Will wait to read on

course reviews. The price is probably going to be ridiculous though. Would have to liquidate a bunch of my

clubs to buy. Don't know if they are hollow or filled with something like PXG. Much cleaner look than PXG.

post-505032-0-92273100-1530280448_thumb.jpg

Wow! Ping making a move for sure, time will tell what's up with these beauties!

Not on the Ping Website yet. Just looked. May not be available for awhile. Curious to know if they are injected with

some sort of polymer, like PXG irons. Only one screw; on the toe, not all that noticeable. The last forged irons they

made were the Ansers. Those did not sell well at the time due to price. I'm guessing these will be $200+ per iron.

The times they are a-changin'. For some, $200 per for an iron is no longer shocking, and becoming the new norm. The info embargo will be lifted on Monday (7/2), so the details should be forthcoming. But scanning the scuttlebutt in the Pre-Release forum, one can parse some details:

Hollow body construction, not foam filled. P790, T-MB fighter. Maybe Ping didn't want to go down the litigation path with PXG. Very tasty design if nothing else.

Likely two-piece construction. With a forged face and cast body. But still labeled as Forged. That seems to be the trend line these days. Wonder if they're going to be moving some weight around inside the body for forgiveness. While still keeping the external clean. Have to believe something will be going on.

Screw in the toe is for weight tuning.

Allegedly, these are there own niche. Not a replacement for other models (iBlade). Labeled in the GI category.

Very well executed design. Cleaner than the P790, didn't care for the slot in the soles of the TM's. The entire Ping iron line are the best looking irons in the market IMO. Save for the G700 which is hideously large.

You just know these will be pricy. Slapping a "Forged" badge on irons ratchets up cost all by itself. The market mentality is shifting to ever more expensive irons. So yeah, $200 per would not be out of line compared to the competition. Don't know if PXG is a target with these. They seem to as much about image as they are about performance vis-a vis the completion. PXG looks excessively "Blingy" in the flesh.

Wonder if Ping will stay with the Hydro-Pearl finish? Seems to be a lot of complaints that the finish wears off rather quickly making the clubs appear more used than they actually are. Owners have taken to scrubbing it off with Scotch-Brite pads to even up the finish. Last thing I'd want to do on a $1500 set of irons.

Be interesting to try these sometime in the future. One of the things I do periodically, especially in the winter months. Head to the LGS and swat some irons on their heated outdoor range. Tried the G700's last winter, didn't care for them at all (way to chunky). The i200's were quite nice, but they had stiff shafts installed. So difficult to get get much of an assessment, fighting the shaft and all. G400's are what they are, the latest rendition of the G series. Still have the wider soles, that I do not coexist with very well. Seemed not that much different than the i20's. The P790's were really easy to hit, no problem getting those up and away. But they're TM (irrational anti-bias) and way to expensive.

WTS, if I had excess capital around waiting to be circulated, these i500's could certainly be on the radar. With senior granite shafts please. Old Man's baller clubs.

We'll know on Monday if this is all speculating boolah.

Like you I have a love/hate relationship with my i20s. My 2 issues with them are 1) low spin and 2) high bounce.

I don't mind the lower spin in the longer irons but I like more spin in the short irons. I'm not thoroughly convinced

though that I can't work with them. I really haven't played with them all that much and certainly not for an extended

time. Keep thinking I should play them for awhile to see if I can get used to them.

The other issue of bounce is probably on me as I may be too shallow and inside coming into the ball. Might be

able to fix this by getting more onto my lead side at impact. That should move my swing bottom forward some and

steepen my angle of attack a little more.

Before I plunge into some i500 irons I want to make sure I get along with the i20s cause I imagine the i500s are

going to be low spin and high bounce as well. We'll see when they show up on the Ping website. If they are indeed

hollow bodies then they will essentially be mini hybrids; which I'm fine with actually.

It's a little funny because most golfers would not bag a full set of hybrids down to the PW but if these manufacturers

can make irons that look like irons but perform like hybrids then golfers will be all over them, lol, and I might be one

of them. I'm more and more wanting to make golf as easy as possible. Ain't getting any younger.

pl

SLED Gemini

There's seemingly a trend occurring towards offering hollow bodied irons. Not that it's a new concept. Remember TM had a hollow body from 10+ years ago. Snake Eyes components had a hollow body (Quick Strike). Which was defiantly a "mini-hybrid". It's an interesting concept. And could prove to be quite beneficial to golfers such a myself. Someone that needs SGI but prefers a shape in a more traditional, non-mega large design. That's the one drawback to many SGI irons, they're hideously big. Soles, top lines, blade length. Tried those K15's I thrifted awhile back, couldn't hit them worth a lick. Same for the G700's (which was Ping's opening salvo into the hollow body style). To big and chunky. Still YTBD how Ping will position the i500's, besides just the marketing hyperbole. How will they play? A more forgiving package than the i200's, but in a compact design? You have to assume there will be a fair amount of bounce, that's always been their M.O. If they can bring them to market at $1k per set, they could take over the segment. Doubtful though, they would be leaving $$ on the table. Crazy to think that there are those amongst us that don't blink at spending upwards of $1.5k on a set of irons. Sell everything.

Maltby has a new iron head (TS-2) that's very interesting. Forged, hollow body, foam filled (polymer) in the 4 - 9 irons. The wedges are solid, I'm assuming, but there's not any info. Simply looking at the pics and examining the specs, looks like they would have real potential. Little pricy though for a component head at $50 per. Components are not always everyone's cup of tee. Not be able to demo, unless one lived near their facility (SSP, a mission). Other than building a demo club and trialing. Plus, take a real killing if you decide to sell them in a couple of years. But one could build a set of these and still be well under the cost of something like the P790's. There's a thread about them in Equipment, the OP (the resident Maltby evaluator, or fanboy, don't know which) raves about the performance.

https://www.golfwork...heads/p/ma0294/

With hybrids, sort of run hot and cold with their use. Faced with the realities of age and declining swing speed, feel like I can hit a fairway metal more effectively. So that's what's been in the bag lately. Particularly a 7W (21*) and a 9W (24*). The 9 especially has become a favorite club from 155 - 170 depending on how I grip it. Just wants to go straight. Which is always a good thing. Don't realize the same consistency of ball strike with higher lofted hybrids for some reason. Probably more to do with how I swing the club. More of a sweeping fairway swing, than a steeper iron swing. IDK. Just play what's working for the moment. WTS, thrifted a minty Cobra Baffler Rail H (19*) about a year ago on the cheap. Forgot about it during last year's golfing hiatus. Brought it out earlier this season, and have been hitting rocket shots with it. (Relative to my capabilities.) Very easy to hit straight, and distance comparable to my 5 wood. Tee club, quite playable out of the rough. Still carry a 5W along with the Cobra, basically the same club. But differing results. So both are staying for the time being.

All this is accompanied with a new reality. The SS with any implement has sufficiently declined and is not likely to return. Serious consideration has to be given to incorporating senior flex into any future decision making. And graphite shafts throughout. Not just for today, but with an eye towards the next 10 years. Part of the difficulty I face with swinging the i20's at 1" long is the heft of the club. And the CFS steels are on the lighter side. A lighter overall weight iron would be easier to swing IMO. As long as directional control could be maintained. Part of the reason why I seemingly have better results while playing the Hogan Apex's this year, they have the very LW Nippon 950's installed. "Ain't getting any younger."

Ya, had a set of Cobra 3400 IXH irons in 2006, which were normal SGI CBs from 8-GW and hollow

bodies from 4-7. They matched up very well; could not tell any difference in feel but the longer irons

were just as easy to hit as the short irons. They came equipped with 55 gram low kick graphite shafts

in them. Agree that this idea is not new. Had to put a nice easy swing on them to get good results.

At the time it seemed Cobra was the only one making sets like this. TBH, I didn't know what I was

buying when I got them. They were on sale for $400 for the set at the time and I was in the market

for some new irons. It was a year later when I began perusing GolfWRX that I began my club

education...………...and, of course, that was when I started hoing, lol.

SLED Gemini

Ha! Before WRX, had but one set of golf clubs (plus a very few castoffs). Why would anyone need more than one? KISS.

Been making a concerted effort to reduce the number of golf clubs in inventory. Making some headway, still a ways to go. Got to the point of having like 8 sets of irons, mostly classics. To many persimmons. None that were likely to see a golf course. Need to cut loose a few putters as well. What good is a "collection" if all they do is set in the basement collecting dust. Sell. Sell. Sell.

But RAD...Being a Ping player...aren't those I 500's a nice looking club? Really look great...You know you want them...Come on..

Its ok to go all in one more time before retirement....get those.....

Then give all the rest of us a good review of them,before we jump in there ! :taunt:

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Normally it takes me a full breakfast time to catch up with the Grille talk, yesterday I was incognito so I was expecting a massive read this morning.

Heeeeeeellllllloooooooooooooo. Is that an echo in an empty room I can hear.

Morning billh good to see someone up and about.

Son back home from his first week ever of skiing, he has a second weeks holiday and was planning to use it to continue the alteration in the garden. I thought he may be hoping too much and I was correct, he is hurting in places he never knew existed, he said he stopped counting how many times he fell over after the first post lesson run on day one. He was improving untill the last afternoon when he miscalculated a stand up after a face plant and did the splits, Wednesday now and he is starting to walk. Little better.

One surprising thing for me was the amount of serious injuries they have in ski resorts, he was told on the first morning one in twelve new comers will break something in the first day, seems that was an under estimation as the stretcher parties were working almost non stop for the full week. Why would you spend $4,000 on a weeks holiday to be bumped and bruised to the extent you require another week to recover.

I told him he was mad, not only the pain but the cold, who deliberately goes to an area that is minus *c night and day, not me that’s for sure, like my warm days.

Stay safe Grillers, drop in later to check on attendance.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Toj,I am with you ! I and my wife are looking out over a move to Florida...or possibly Santee,So. Carolina. We have gone there for many years

on vacation. We both think it may be time to go permanently. ,and spend what time we have left in the heat and sunshine .

What was that old saying?? Youth is wasted on the young ! My grandfather used that all the time......towards me..

Toj,I am with you ! I and my wife are looking out over a move to Florida...or possibly Santee,So. Carolina. We have gone there for many years

on vacation. We both think it may be time to go permanently. ,and spend what time we have left in the heat and sunshine .

What was that old saying?? Youth is wasted on the young ! My grandfather used that all the time......towards me..

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Skiing injuries are easily preventable. Injuries occur when skiers are not in control; on hills where they

don't belong or going faster than their skill set can handle. Just like in many sports big egos are usually

at the root of most ski injuries.

Also, beginners, when taking those first lessons, need to be taught how to fall in a manner that minimizes

the chances for injury; because they are going to fall. The good thing is; they are falling on snow and not

concrete.

That 1 in 12 injury rate for beginners sounds really high to me. It must include mostly minor injuries where

the ego is injured more than any part of the body. Those instructors probably put that number out there to

get people to not try things they aren't capable of as beginners, lol.

I used to ski a lot and rarely saw people getting seriously hurt. My bro-in-law fell and broke his wrist skiing

with me one day. He straight armed the ground when he fell, lol. He knew better. Just had a brain fart and

stuck his arm out there to break his fall instead of curling up.

SLED Gemini

Hey, I may wind up with some Grillsters being not far from me. I think Spooky said he is in Georgia,

south of Atlanta...…..and if you move to Florida...………………..unless you go way down to south

Florida...….you won't be too far away.

SLED Gemini

There's seemingly a trend occurring towards offering hollow bodied irons. Not that it's a new concept. Remember TM had a hollow body from 10+ years ago. Snake Eyes components had a hollow body (Quick Strike). Which was defiantly a "mini-hybrid". It's an interesting concept. And could prove to be quite beneficial to golfers such a myself. Someone that needs SGI but prefers a shape in a more traditional, non-mega large design. That's the one drawback to many SGI irons, they're hideously big. Soles, top lines, blade length. Tried those K15's I thrifted awhile back, couldn't hit them worth a lick. Same for the G700's (which was Ping's opening salvo into the hollow body style). To big and chunky. Still YTBD how Ping will position the i500's, besides just the marketing hyperbole. How will they play? A more forgiving package than the i200's, but in a compact design? You have to assume there will be a fair amount of bounce, that's always been their M.O. If they can bring them to market at $1k per set, they could take over the segment. Doubtful though, they would be leaving $$ on the table. Crazy to think that there are those amongst us that don't blink at spending upwards of $1.5k on a set of irons. Sell everything.

Maltby has a new iron head (TS-2) that's very interesting. Forged, hollow body, foam filled (polymer) in the 4 - 9 irons. The wedges are solid, I'm assuming, but there's not any info. Simply looking at the pics and examining the specs, looks like they would have real potential. Little pricy though for a component head at $50 per. Components are not always everyone's cup of tee. Not be able to demo, unless one lived near their facility (SSP, a mission). Other than building a demo club and trialing. Plus, take a real killing if you decide to sell them in a couple of years. But one could build a set of these and still be well under the cost of something like the P790's. There's a thread about them in Equipment, the OP (the resident Maltby evaluator, or fanboy, don't know which) raves about the performance.

With hybrids, sort of run hot and cold with their use. Faced with the realities of age and declining swing speed, feel like I can hit a fairway metal more effectively. So that's what's been in the bag lately. Particularly a 7W (21*) and a 9W (24*). The 9 especially has become a favorite club from 155 - 170 depending on how I grip it. Just wants to go straight. Which is always a good thing. Don't realize the same consistency of ball strike with higher lofted hybrids for some reason. Probably more to do with how I swing the club. More of a sweeping fairway swing, than a steeper iron swing. IDK. Just play what's working for the moment. WTS, thrifted a minty Cobra Baffler Rail H (19*) about a year ago on the cheap. Forgot about it during last year's golfing hiatus. Brought it out earlier this season, and have been hitting rocket shots with it. (Relative to my capabilities.) Very easy to hit straight, and distance comparable to my 5 wood. Tee club, quite playable out of the rough. Still carry a 5W along with the Cobra, basically the same club. But differing results. So both are staying for the time being.

All this is accompanied with a new reality. The SS with any implement has sufficiently declined and is not likely to return. Serious consideration has to be given to incorporating senior flex into any future decision making. And graphite shafts throughout. Not just for today, but with an eye towards the next 10 years. Part of the difficulty I face with swinging the i20's at 1" long is the heft of the club. And the CFS steels are on the lighter side. A lighter overall weight iron would be easier to swing IMO. As long as directional control could be maintained. Part of the reason why I seemingly have better results while playing the Hogan Apex's this year, they have the very LW Nippon 950's installed. "Ain't getting any younger."

In the early 2000s Mizuno had a hollow driving iron sorta like the Callaway ones now. I set up a used one for a customer. He liked it other than the noise sorta a clank. I ended up drilling a hole in the toe and filled it with the spray foam insulation tapped the hole and installed a 3/16 allen head in it. The customer loved it after that. We also had those square Nike driver clones. In fact we had those 3 months prior to the real thing being released. You think the Nike ones were loud these were LOUD. Those things sold like hot cakes. Big John had some contacts on the West Coast and we were the only ones getting them. I ended up doing the foam thing on them but a little differently. I drilled down the shaft bore and filled them with foam. When the foam set you did not have to worry about spare metal shavings rattling in the head. Now with the foam expansion sometimes you had to drill out the hosel bore again which was a no brainer. Never had any complaints about Swing Weight etc either. I bet we sold 100 or more of them before the real thing hit the market.

Driver off the deck/rough is gutsy in my book! I don’t have that shot in the bag. I hear you on hybrids as iron replacements, before this I carried a 21deg Apex it was definitely longer than my 4i and was still and iron so to speak, and it played like one for me. The Rescue is playing a good bit different and like I mentioned I have no real experience with true hybrids so I am finding my way with this club. So far I am liking it as an “eraser” of sorts, helping me make up ground on a poor tee shot, or teeing off with on par 4s that dogleg or the like...? I’m sure as I play it more I’ll get a better feel for it’s capabilities but I’m liking it in the bag even with its limited role.

Nothing about my game is “pinpoint” ...lol...but I can see the usefulness of using it as you describe it. For me at the moment it’s just a bigger hammer than my Apex was...lol. With a new shaft inbound I hope to find a better mix of high and soft as well as low bullet when needed.

I remember watching a playing lesson on TGC with a champs tour player (forget who) and he was

demonstrating hitting that driver shot off the deck when the ball is teed up on a fluffy lie. It's not a

situation one may encounter all that often but he was saying if the ball is sitting up it's not that hard

of a shot. I definitely wouldn't try it on a tight lie but if the ball is practically teed up I'll do it sometimes

just for fun.

SLED Gemini

You mentioning other hollow bodied irons reminded me of my first set of clubs. Sliver Lynx from Lynx. 2i-PW. They were awesome, All of them looked like mini-hybrids. They were hollow for sure. I still have the 2i. My dad gave them away when he bought me a set of Hogan Apex for HS graduation. I wish I still had those clubs.... pics of the 2i inbound.

But RAD...Being a Ping player...aren't those I 500's a nice looking club? Really look great...You know you want them...Come on..

Its ok to go all in one more time before retirement....get those.....

Then give all the rest of us a good review of them,before we jump in there ! :taunt:

I may at some point Bill. If I did it would probably be a short set 7-P and pair it up with hybrids. If I do

a full review will be posted here, lol.

I still like mid and long irons but not sure if they still like me. The last time I hit a 3 iron was when I was

playing with MC in Kentucky in 2016. Hit a beauty to reach a par 5 in 2 and made birdie. I'm not sure

I could hit that shot now. I hit it with that Mac 3 iron. In my mind I still think I can.....but the body....well

it hasn't expressed it's opinion lately since I haven't been playing.

SLED Gemini

Hi friends. Happy 4th.

On the return trip, we drove through 100F temps today. Evidently 170 million folks under extreme heat right now. Played in mid 90s heat yesterday, Despite all efforts to stay hydrated and cool, my score was chasing the thermometer.

I 100% agree we sometimes score better than we play - and sometimes it's the other way around.

Bill, Florida not having state income tax is sure appealing. Santee is a beaut, too. Lots of golf options in both. Best of luck deciding.

Yes, Thug - employment law, including filing/collecting unemployment does vary somewhat by state. And termination with "cause" can in many states reduce or eliminate the ability to collect. Otherwise folks would throw fellow workers off of a cliff and file unemployment when fired for it. You are correct. The good news, the unemployment rate is so low it's far more possible now to find work of some kind or another. The bad news, options for more senior unemployed people.don't jive with the unemployment rate regardless of the 1967 ADEA. Funny how that works and rarely is any employer challenged on it.

Hybrids.... Here's a dumb question. Most of us remember or even owned the Adams Tight Lies clubs. Kinda "hybrid-like" up and down the set.

So if hybrids are "better" and "easier"... Why didn't Tight Lies clubs fully take over the golf market and effectively bury traditional "irons"????

It's not a loaded question. Just a question.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)