2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I will admit yes--- Since you mentioned it I put the other screen on U tube and wham got Hendrix

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

According to the weather gurus on The Weather Channel this Saturday for us is the first day of summer--- I don't know I just report this stuff

• Like 2

Rad you just gave me insight to a game. Go to DSG and buy me a dozen , find the most ragged bag in the shop , get my rusty green shafted Tommy Armour irons , hmmm got a rusty TPM 3 putter and a beat up laminate Wilson 4300 driver see if I can find a game. Aw heck wishful thinking--- Can't touch a club unless it is a broom handle putter to at least September. Shoulder is good enough to start supervised PT on this morning. Got an appt at 08;00. Nice thing is the place is darn near in my back yard Road miles is 1.2 If you go golf ball style driver 5 iron. My back is another story have another appointment 7/15 and go from there. The back doc says at least 6 weeks of PT 3 times a week.

• Like 3

Working at a nine hole course I don't often get to see a lot of the fancy new clubs in the flesh. Oh sure, you'll get one offs from time-to-time as most players upgrade their sets periodically, but I'm far more likely to run across a senior sporting one of the those full bag sets from Callaway or Taylormade or Adams of old rather than see someone show up with a full bag fitting or the closest thing that you might get to that.

There was a gal last year who took to playing regularly on my day and she was sporting a full bag of Callaway Rogue, but this year's surprise was closer to current when I had a guy show up last week with Ping G700 irons, Cleveland CBX2 wedges, a Sigma putter and a G driver. I figure that he was in for pretty close to $3000 when you factor in the Sun Mountain bag a Click-gear cart. I must say that those G700 irons are quite pleasing to the eye. They're big enough mind you, but compared with earlier versions of hollow irons they sure are svelte! Perhaps the strangest thing about this bag was that there were no FW's or hybrid utility clubs, just a driver and then irons. You don't see that everyday!

I remember getting paired up with a couple a number of years ago for an afternoon round and the woman pulls a Titlelist 910 driver out of her bag. I carefully surveyed what she had in the bag and while I don't remember the specifics, I knew she was a player. We had to wait on the second tee, so I said to her that I knew you were a player the minute you pulled that driver out. You don't see a woman playing a Titleist driver everyday, especially a newer one. Turns out the she had been club champion for 6 years running at their old course before they moved to our area. I have no idea what sort of player that guy is from last week, but you don't get many 70 year olds dropping 3 bills on golf clubs that can't play. Thirty somethings, sure, but older guys, not so much at least that's been my experience.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Soco as far as the really older seniors you have 2 extremes ones that play with 30 year old sticks and then the ones that drop the big bucks on the latest and greatest. One of the guys in my crowd still plays TM Burners with the bubble shaft---- He did buy him a Cally driver about 3 years old and I gave him a Rocketballs 3 wood with a senior flex graphite. He does pretty well for 75 years old. He plays on our dog fight team. He gets to play from the green tees and hits it pretty straight not far maybe 175 yards but straight. Laughed at him one day we were hitting into a par 5 and I flat scorched my second shot and got home. He asked where I was and I told him. He laughed and said he did not even want to hit. I told him save all his energy for 18 which is a par 5. On that hole the angle he tees off from he hits the speed slot all the time and that leaves me or Jimmy a hybrid or 4 wood into that green. When we hit the green we tell him Emmett get your putter! Got to where before the Covid thing we were having trouble getting side bets.

• Like 2

Must be because it's a leap year. This has been a pretty weird year anyway so why not celebrate the beginning of summer

a day early.................now..............what is up with people these days, lol!?

syom9948-jpeg.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

WTF?????????????

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Definitely no Hebrew National as in "no ifs ands or BUTTS" Ya know just saying. But I will tell you if you come to my house the only hot dogs you will get there are either Nathans or Hebrew National. But I will eat a greasy red dye flowing one at a race track or golf course in the drop of a hat

I figured who ever did that sign was a product of the SC public school system. Ya know we are 48th in public schools.

• Like 2

Another day another golf game to report on. Well, there really isn't much worthy of report, it's more a case of me writing down what happened for my own benefit I suppose.

Couldn't hit a wood off the tee or the deck for that matter to save my soul today. That smother hook with the driver is really getting to be a problem. Make an adjustment or make a change is where we're at now I would surmise. I got this crazy idea to flip the shaft around 180° in the hosel. There was a Titleist tool in the lost and found bin and those work fine on the TM hosel so that's what I did. I'll report back after the next couple of games as to what transpired.

I quickly determined that there's really nothing wrong with the CBX SW because i was having the same sort of trouble with the older TM SW I put in the bag for today. It's the operator not the instrument! On the plus side with the short game was the Cleveland Niblick which I had some success with. In fact it was two chips from a fair ways out that resulted in my two pars on the day as it left me under 4' to the pin.

I also putted much better today with no 3 putts for the first time this year, so that had a big impact on score as well. All in all, I ended up with a 40; my low round of the year so far. What Monday will bring is anyone's guess?

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

No, I'd say it's more like twisting in the wind at the moment. But, I have to look at the positive side of life and that is that we are playing golf and twice a week at that (perhaps 3 times this week!) So my game may be in tatters, but when I look back at where I was last year and the year before that when I couldn't play at all, it really is a bit of a miracle.

I'm not too worried about the fairway woods because I have had enough good strikes with them that I know that part of the game will come around. The driver is a bit different though and I may have to end up going for a lesson or two to get to the bottom of that. My contact is very poor and I hit a lot of balls with top spin because I'm catching them low on the face so my swing is really out of sorts with a driver in hand.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Since the lockdown was lifted (we were the last state to allow golf or maybe the 49th), I have played 31 times. Pretty much every day. I walk 99% of the rounds I play, except on hot humid days the cardiologist says I need to take a cart. On those days I will usually take a hike in the early morning hours at a state park so I get my exercise in. I have had a low of 73 and a high of 88. The only consistency is my inconsistency, lol.

Glad to see you folks getting out to play. Not sure on the hot dog thing, I haven't had one in quite a while...now I am thinking about hot dogs.

• Like 2

Same here, being inconsistent is the most consistent part of my game, don't know how you all score so low, But for me 45/50 is my usual good score for 9 holes, you do not want to know what the bad scores are.

We as ancient people have been taking it easy, we have ventured out recently but are still reticent when it comes to meeting others, we know how vulnerable we are so take precautions. Our local shops are good the way it is organised, and our state Queensland is still in lockdown with the best record in Australia, our premier ,even though she is in the other political party, has done a first class job in keeping the state safe. We are hoping it will continue , then we can move around with more with confidence.

• Like 3

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

A half hour ago!

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

What counts as a hot dog these days? If you count Johnsonville's Beddar Cheddars then we eat hot dogs with some regularity.

After all we do eat them in hot dog buns. I guess I should just say that if I eat it in a hot dog bun; it's a hot dog, lol.

Well, I guess, technically, it's a sausage. Can't remember the last time I had a traditional hot dog...................

image.png

• Like 2

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

It was Schneider's Juicy Jumbo all beef franks today grilled up on the barbeque for lunch and served on a brioche bun along with grainy mustard and diced sweet onion and tomato. Topped that off with an ice cold beer to mimic the beer and a dog ballpark experience (no that any baseball was being played...)

All-in-all it was a pretty darned good Father's Day experience for this old salt even if it did involve doing a few chores rather than playing golf with my boys. Went to #1 son's for dinner tonight for a barbeque. Prior to that had some Facetime with #2 son where he debuted a Neil Youngesque tune that he wrote for me and played on his newly acquired Godin electric guitar. A rather humbling experience that your child could create such a thing with a free form lyric that described the relationship I had with my own father and the scars that were left behind when he died when I was just 24. How do you respond to something so unexpected as that? This year and COVID-19 will not soon be forgotten, but for many of us it won't be because of the disease, but rather it's roll as a marker of time.

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Received notification when I logged in this morning That I had earned my 10th Anniversary Badge. Woo hoo! I now have 30 badges apparently.

I clicked on the announcement icon and I got a You don't have permission to do that error ...

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I also putted much better today with no 3 putts for the first time this year, so that had a big impact on score as well. All in all, I ended up with a 40; my low round of the year so far. What Monday will bring is anyone's guess?Pure horse manure!

Hit driver off the tee four times dead straight and long with all over 200 yards. Don't know whether it was me or my unconventional adjustment. The damnable part of it all is that the rest of my game was a dumpster fire. If you pulled any old random guy in off the street and handed him a club for the first time in his life he couldn't possbily be any worse!

Saturday I played the par 3's pretty well for me with two pars and three bogies. Today I had one par, a double and three triples. No penalty strokes either that's just from hitting my tee shot in the worst possible spot. Even those great drives went to waste on the par 4's with fouled up approach shots and three putts galore!

GOLF SUCKS!!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

LOL we had those last night with French Fries. No hot dog bun

• Like 2

Where to begin?

Priority one has to be joining everyone's thankfulness to hear Bill is on the mend. He's a good soul. We all miss hearing from him.

Radro cracks 80. Huge congrats to someone who teaches us daily that a virtual friend can be absolutely cherished. Well played Rad. Got to ask, with Jack Nicklaus being colorblind, ball color probably wouldn't change a thing? Lol. And how is it possible to see subtle color changes in grain when colorblind? Is it possible we try taking in too much information when putting? Is putting one of those things where less is more?

Other roaming thoughts/responses.

About to perform a paint job (flat black) on a used Spider Putter for my son. Any thoughts as to best practices... I'm all ears.Will be adding one more coat of gloss enamel to my G15 5-metal, followed by multi-coats of gloss clear coating.Opted to not carry the L-wedge last year. It's back, but the 56 is currently resting. Have retired my inner wedge ho. Now pretty much a Cleveland wedge man. (For the most part).Found something for my putting. It's embarrassingly simple. Putting better than I have in years. Confidence soaring. May the honeymoon last.Hot Dogs. Only a tiny fraction of folks will believe much less appreciate this one. The uncontested absolute best hot dog I'll ever have came from...... drum roll....Sears. I kid you not.

Recommendation of the week. Go online if you can't find it in local stores. Get yourself some Skyline Chilli.

Final comment. The last time I heard the words anus and pounding used in the same sentence, there

was a 35 mm projector involved!

• Like 2

Not telling you anything you don't already know my friend. Simply plopping it out there as food for thought.

There are two brands of "thin" shots.

A: Clubhead arc (relative to the ground) bottoms out well behind the ball. Catches the ball thin on the upswing.

B. Clubhead never made it back down to the ball. Something in the posture or bending arms or whatever, prevented the club from shallowing out down near the dirt.

So since driver is teed-up.... It's possible but highly unlikely it's a little of both. For the same reason, it's possible but a little less likely to be "B".

This leaves the primary culprit (usually) to be "A". Tee height, ball position, are the simplest starting points for that one. Simple to find out. Lateral sway once in motion is next best place. Yes the gurus want us to turn rather than sway. And most gurus don't have a wrecked back. So the trick is to discover how/when you sway and do just that - consistently. Changes in posture (i.e. early extension) or chicken-wing arms can be part of this one when all else has been tried. That one is going to be where your lessons pay for themselves ten times over.

Rant over. Couldn't resist Sorry

• Like 2

@Reasonability thanks for taking the time to at least attempt to point me in the right direction. I should probably apologize for my earlier post because no one wants to listen to some old fahrt p8ss and moan about losing whatever limited ability they ever had to play at the game.
Two years ago I couldn't even play. It was just too painful. Last year I started to play again and tried to learn a new way to swing the club, but I was still limited to a walking nine a week. This year I'm playing more or less pain free and two or three times a week not to mention all the other things I've been doing from quite a bit of gardening to getting out on the bike a bit again even if it's just baby steps there too. I need to appreciate where I've come from and not focus on results on a scorecard because frankly it matters to no one but me as some sort of measure or worth. I need to lose that mindset and maybe then I can enjoy the game fully again.
  • Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yep I was kinda in the same boat as you. I had semi retired and before I got hurt I was going out to the course at daylight and walking my "Stu 5 " before the men's group teed off. Usually go get breakfast and return because by then most of my gang had eaten breakfast etc and showed up. Would ride 18 sometimes 36. My Doc who just happens to be a cardiologist had told me to ride during the day because my BP medicine makes me susceptible to heat. On the 2 days or 3 days I worked I was out early as usual up and back. Usually done by 10:00 or 11:00 at the most. If some of my gangs were there I strapped on a cart and played 18 if they were not I grabbed the walking bag with the minimalist 8 club vintage set and did my 5 hole thing. Yep I was loving it and had basically lost 10 lbs or so without changing my eating habits. Yep now I am taking it easy and seem to be progressing. Doing PT on the shoulder now and the PT folks are impressed of course most of the exercises they have me doing I was doing anyhow to keep my top side stretched out. I have to see the neurologist the 15th of July and we will go from there. I will get PT for that also from the same folks that are doing my shoulder. I have permission from both docs so I am using the broom handle putter some on the putting green. In fact my course is a mile from the PT center and when I leave there I go putt some.

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)