Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Still alive and well but had to take a break.

Glad to see some old faces back in the Grille.

Unplanned trip to Az. to deal with aging Dad stuff after losing my mom.

Computer problems.

Golf every week and had my first Eagle of the season! Lipped out for an almost Eagle on a par 4 the next week.

All the best to those suffering injuries, health concerns, family stuff and other life excrement.

Be well and save me a seat.

• Like 2

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Save you a seat, the ladies have your seat roped off and if anyone try's to use it they get real mad. Hurry back scotee they say as they cry into their milk.?????????

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Its always difficult clearing away after losing someone, I remember well when we had to clear away after DWs mother passed on, not a pleasant task. Hope you are feeling OK.

Well done on the eagle, never had one, never been anywhere near one claws are too big for me thank you.

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Playing some golf every weekend now. Might throw in some evening golf as well, its perfectly playable until 10.30PM now, but work is taking its toll. Swing is pretty ok this year, slices seem to be more and more rare. Length is the problem. The harder i swing the higher the ball goes seemingly. When i get things right ball goes as long as it always has, had a few decent drives this morning, but the shorter the club the shorter than normally the ball goes. So I am doing something wrong. Pretty straight though so few catastrophic holes.

Reading about US presidents, I think I told you I do, is really fascinating. Doing it the second round now, and both the persons and the events in the country gets me interested. Of course, a lot of southern born Presidents uptil the civil war and then northerners. Pretty many from relatively humble backgrounds but surprisingly many lawyers! I can understand the connection but very few Scandinavian prime ministers have that background. Waist lines increased gradually from Lincoln and onwars to take an abrupt stop with Wilson, after whom there seem to be a fitness ideal among the presidents. Probably a mirror of ideals in the general society. But presidents grew slimmer, F. Roosevelt was even champion at his home club before his medical problems. Probably the best golfer of all presidents. Then of course you learn a lot about the US you didnt know before albeit generally history interested. Those “panics” in the economic that returned every 20 year through th 1800’s, 1929 was definitely not the first crash. Bleeding Kansas, fiddling around with gold or not gold as base for currency. And a lot of stuff that is too political for this forum. But anyhow, great reading! Guess I have to pop over once the virus starts to behave, 1984 in Boston for one week in business is what I got. Only problem, I am not too fond of travelling. Missus and my kids have at least seen a good deal of New York and California.

• Like 3

I am leaving for Tennessee shortly (driving from Massachusetts) to visit my 90 year old mother...who still lives in her own home, drives, works in the garden, and walks 3 to 4 miles a day. I played nine holes from the senior tees yesterday and shot -2 (33). Had four birdies. I wish that guy would show up more often, lol.

• Like 3

Always have to admire folks that keep going with their everyday activities well on in life. Your mother is an amazing lady to be doing all that at 90!
Impressive round of golf @Sean2! I've never been in the same area code as that for score. I've had two birdies in a round a couple of times with a career low of 81 on a par 72 course. Even that level of performance seems a million miles away at this juncture. If I can get a couple of walking nines in a week and keep up with everything else that needs doing at home, then that would be about as good as it gets. The scores are going to be what they'll be. In fact, I'm not even sure what we're keeping score for in the first place other than it's a habit.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Yes its good to see them bring independent at that age. I regularly talk to my Aunt and Uncle in the UK via face time, Aunt is 88 Uncle is 89 and until this year he was doing a gardening round, helping neighbours that were unable to do their own, all of them at least 10 years his junior.

Seeing the state of many that live near us is why I still get out with the chain saw, cut the firewood and insist on keeping active. I would hate to be dependant on others, I know its not always possible to be independent but I am still working at it every day.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Its good to see Grillers out and about again on the golf course, and I agree sometimes its only habit keeping us using the score card, I quite often did not keep score and played two or three balls for practice.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Thought I would share this information.

last year we purchased a new washing machine that was supposed to be really cheap to run, never checked it out up till today and we put a meter in the electricity supply to check out usage. DW always likes to run a long wash sequence and it takes up to 2hrs to finish. Ran 4 washes today, the longest was 1h40m total cost of electricity for all four washes shocked us as it was only 21c, checked the meter on other appliances to make sure we had it correct and it was. 28 c per kilowatt and only .75 kilowatt for all four washes.

Information over.?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

good to hear from Doc Scotee although it's tough hearing all the news surrounding his parents. Wishing he and his Dad all the best. Will also toss a quarter in the jukebox myself later on to echo his itch to share tunes.

on another front...

From time to time, I'm going to be serving up more thoughts about playing golf with seasoned bones. Stuff that's generally applicable realizing one size never fits all. Much should likewise apply to many (not all) injuries. The goal being to surprise ourselves with what we can do with less wear and tear on the body. Feel free as always to agree, disagree, or ignore.

Here's today's quick installment.

Its hard to argue our backswings tends to shorten with age. This seems to always be THE stated reason we lose some distance, right. I suppose the basic logic kinda makes sense.

But isn't it very possible to find a way to be both consistent and more powerful with less than a full wind-up?

Pay very particular attention to the trail side (right in this case) leg, knee, and foot. It's there at setup and we see it stay there during the swing. It's a huge key in playing with less than a full shoulder turn. Even better I can explain exactly how to do it in a way that's totally comfortable.

• Like 2

Seems appropriate to have a bit of swing talk tonight in light of my results today during my weekly round in men's league. Things are improving slowly on the scorecard even though I felt I played considerable better today than on previous outings. I hit the ball much better today, especially off the tee with particularly pleasing results from my driver and fairway woods. I paced off my yardages and when checking against this particular resource: http://www.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-15-at-1.35.34-PM.png I am spot on at 80 mph SS. Best drive of the day was paced off at 210 which is also the best drive of the year by a wide margin.

My game still suffers around the green, but at least I made a couple of putts and one solid chip and run to maybe 4 foot. The net result was a 42 which was the low of my group and tied with the low of the following group. There's no Nassau at this point due to social distancing, but we are maintaining our handicaps which looks like I'll adding a stroke at the next recalculation. I don't really think any of us are making much of it at this point. We're all just happy to be out and discussing the events of the week which has lead to plenty of grist with most of us just shaking our heads at what has transpired...

AS for the swing; the less I rotate the straighter it goes or so it seems. I must be getting a bit of weight transfer, but I'm thinking that I'm decidedly more vertical with my swing than rotational and flatter. Whatever it is the good news is that it is easy on my back. That's probably helped by taking plenty of club and then swinging easy. Unfortunately that approach is death with touch shots that are still more often than not being half efforts due to tentativeness. The fact that the greens were fiery today didn't help either on that front as I had been consistently short in the previous two outings and now the ball was rolling like a marble on hardwood!

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

We ordered a rug for the new lounge floor as soon as it was finished, it was delivered within a week of the initial order. Lovely colour on special price for $400. This PM they delivered a second one, obviously someone somewhere mixed things up. D W contacted them to inform them of their mistake and so far we have had three emails thanking us for our honesty. We have always lived by the same rules, if its mine its mine even if it is only a cent, if its yours its yours and you should have it. This is one of the things I love about DW, as honest as the day is long.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

It went for a magic carpet ride and is heading back your way now.

• Like 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

I scored 6 dz brand new in box Srixon 2018 Q Star Tour balls on eBay for $71.00 (less than $12 a box). $94.67 total with taxes and shipping.

This ball is a soft 3 piece urethane covered ball. The 2020 version is priced at $32.99 dz in stores. If Q lived near me I would share with

him but he invented them and licensed Srixon to make them and he gets all he wants for free................+ $$millions$$ in royalties.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

Interesting set up. What many golfers will do is set up with hands in the middle and then lean the shaft forward as the trigger to start

the back swing. I've been doing this myself to get away from a static takeaway. Tony sets up with his hands close to his lead thigh

with the shaft leaned forward and lots of secondary tilt. From there he just starts back with a slight trigger.

Because of where he starts it might feel like to him that his back swing is not that short. One thing I have noticed with some of the

long hitters, like Tony, is that they do a full shoulder turn but because some think high hands at the top is what a "full' swing should

look like, people think the "lower" hands equate to a short swing. We had examples like Jack, Arnie, Tiger and DLIII of hands way up

high at the top of the back swing. Many pros have high hands at the top..............but many don't and some of them long hitters, like

Tony.....or say JB Holmes or.................Hogan. And some of the high handed aren't known as long hitters.

I will grant that some tour pros developed more compact swings to hit more fairways; for better ball control. It's also possible that

getting those hands up high, for some, is not comfortable or not possible without disconnecting in some way; arm runoff or a much

bent lead arm. Anthony Kim once said that if his arms got much past parallel he lost control and played badly.

High hands, for me, is friggin impossible, lol. When I was skinny and in my 20s maybe. Rather than focus on how high my hands are

at the top, I focus on keeping my hands in front of my chest with arms well connected to the sides of my pecs and let my swing stop

wherever it stops within my current range of comfort. If you make the most of the leverage, a shorter well connected swing should

provide more power and accuracy than high hands that are disconnected and have lost leverage.

Ah, it's good to be talking swing again.................

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

Really truth be told, it does not matter what happens to the ball after it leaves the club head, you are out there enjoying smashing the heck out of a golf ball.??‍♂️

• Like 3

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Well you hit on many very cool notions, all backed by great examples. One chief takeaway I got from your thoughts Is that our hands land somewhere at the top of the backswing. "Somewhere" can be on a little higher or slightly lower plane. My worthless opine says a lower/flatter plane during the downswing is far more "trustworthy". By going back a little flatter, less has to be manipulated when the backswing converts to the downswing. Also like your thoughts about staying "connected". This again feeds into keeping it simple and reliable/repeatable. The real descriptor here underneath all your thoughts is the word "consistency".

I dropped pretty heavy hints about this whole "trail side leg" business --- how it directly supports a somewhat shorter backswing, etc. I also promised I can explain how we all can apply it.

That I will do exactly that in my next post. Getting late and need to rise early!

Yes, we are indeed talking swings! I became concerned awhile back about drowning others with swing talk. So I pulled my phonograph needle completely off the platter. Now - Fully happy to strike a compromise bewtween zero swing discussion and flooding people.

Oh and as I sign off tonight, nice 42 Scomacer!

• Like 3

Needed to take a WRX break for a awhile. Don't remember if I welcomed Reason back to the fold. Saw that PD stopped by and he's messing around with wood (ha!). Etc. Etc. Anyhow. I for one, am ready for some swing talk. It's golf season and need all the thought provoking information I can gather. My empathy to those here that are experiencing physical limitations in their pursuit playing golf. Cannot imagine the difficulty that causes. I'm extraordinarily fortunate that I'm not experiencing such afflictions. Swinging a golf club is simply a matter of attempting to do it with some modicum of "correctness" to achieve a desired result. Not to mitigate pain in the process.

Some general observations on swing things. From someone who understands very little of the language. And rarely to never practices. All that follows is far from being ingrained, more of a "when I remember to do it" whilst playing.

Take away is key for me. My "bad" swing is over the top, outside in, minimal rotation. Resulting in an all to frequent toe strike. So I have to drag that clubhead back on what I perceive to be a flatter swing plane. As if I'm firing the club 30* to the right (even though setup is aligned with the target). That's my perception. The flatter plane also puts into motion a natural shoulder turn. Cannot do this flat(er) plane thing without turning one's shoulders (and hips).

Long ago abbreviated my back swing. Thinking is that a compact swing allows me to deliver the clubhead back to square at impact by minimizing the time spent with it "in space". Adds consistency of impact even if it potentially sacrifices some measure of distance in the absolute. Although I have no idea what my back swing looks like, never watched a video capture. More of a "right about there" feeling. Also, don't know where my hands are at. Although I suspect they are lower in relative position. For the same reason as mentioned, that its less time spent wavering around in space. With he shorter backswing, have to be cognizant of not abbreviating the follow through. Turn, release, extension through the ball. Otherwise, can get "choppy".

Also do a slight forward press just as I begin my swing. Sort of pre-cocks the wrists. (Yes, that wrist cock thing.) An exaggerated forward shaft lean feels like I have the club out of position at setup. Hands to far forward.

Cannot keep my arms connected to the pecs. Causes me to feel "bound up", constricted in my range of motion. At set up, let my arms dangle freely, away from my chest. And begin the backswing by dragging the club back on my perceived "correct" plane with arms (and hands) moving where they want to go. Naturally, without thinking about it. While trying to keep the left elbow under control. Would connection offer improved repeatability? Perhaps. But a good swing is suppose to be free and easy, not feeling constricted. Whatever works.

Been working on adding a bit of lateral motion (Snead slide?) into my swing. Transferring weight to the left side. Especially with the long clubs. It's helped with adding some yardage to my driving of the ball. However, at my age and skill set, not like I'm going to pickup 25 extra yards. No idea what my ball speed or swing speed is. Don't have access to that technology, without paying for the privilege. But based on the chart shown on the front page and my typical driving distance, driver swing speed is in the low 80's. (Sidenote. My 7 iron distance coincides with a higher driver swing speed. Without getting into the effects of loft in the analysis. Don't know what it means, but perhaps maybe I'm leaving something on the table relative to driver distance.) Then again, driving the ball has not been an issue. I will sacrifice some yardage in the absolute by swinging in control in order to find fairways.

Awaiting the trail leg explanation. Because I'm not picking up what you are alluding to.

Thinking about all of this in entirety causes me to become a basket case while playing. Only try and implement one swing thing at a time. And execute it correctly. Undoubtedly a result of not being a "practicer". Where one can try any number of different swing techniques to improve form and function. Develop repeatability. Alas, I'd rather play than practice. Let the chips fall where they may. I know what it feels like to make a good golf swing. Just a matter of doing all the aforementioned simultaneously and with increased frequency. Therein lies a good deal of the task.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

@Reasonability that 42 isn't nearly as nice as you think when it was carded on a par 31! Mind you, the way that course plays for me in this day and age it plays to about a 36 for me. With long par 3's and two tier greens a par is the equivalent of a birdie. If you're playing from the back set of tees, two of the par 4's play to a solid 4 1/2 shots for myself. My lifetime low on that course is a 36 and that's about how I would score it in practical terms.
I don't have any swing thoughts at this time. I hit it far enough for the courses I play and with enough consistency to be able to enjoy the game so I'm not really looking to make any swing changes even if they could be beneficial. What grinds my gears is my short game and putting. In fact, it's those things that have "held me back" from the very beginning. It's the 6" between my ears that is my biggest roadblock. I've tried all the game improvement tricks and gimmicks to no avail. A face balanced putter with a bit of head weight seems to help, but beyond that nothing offers benefit.
For the equipment junkies out there after three rounds with the Cleveland CBX wedge I'd say much ado about nothing. Yes it will generate a lot of spin even on flighted shots, but I find the turf interaction clunky. Very similar to what you might expect from a fat soled SGI iron. Because I tend to pick the ball, this style of club with copious amounts of bounce isn't really ideal for my game. Just give me any old bog standard medium bounce bladed sand wedge and I'll get along just fine.
Of all the gear that I've turned over in the past 12 months of golfing I'd rate things like this. The driver has been good. The fairways are a huge improvement over what I was using before. The short end of the bag has been meh; no meaningful change. The irons I brought into play two seasons back and they've been okay. They launch, go straight and are consistent with a decent pass at the ball. Perhaps I should be looking at something different in terms of ball; something with a bit more spin than what I've been using. It could help around the green.
  • Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Fella, in the spirit of provoking thought and sharing ideas I would like to respectfully address some of your comments mentioned in this paragraph

Cannot keep my arms connected to the pecs. Causes me to feel "bound up", constricted in my range of motion. At set up, let my arms dangle freely, away from my chest. And begin the backswing by dragging the club back on my perceived "correct" plane with arms (and hands) moving where they want to go. Naturally, without thinking about it. While trying to keep the left elbow under control. Would connection offer improved repeatability? Perhaps. But a good swing is suppose to be free and easy, not feeling constricted. Whatever works.

The feeling you mentioned of being "bound up" when keeping your arms and chest in synch is actually a good feeling. It's a feeling though

that you are not used to and don't like. I certainly understand that because it exposes us older guys to just how limited our range of motion

has become. We can escape that bound up feeling by letting our lead arm move across rather than with our chest as we swing back. This

gives us the illusion that we can swing back further than we actually can but the resultant disconnection, as you said, creates numerous

variables that now must be managed to get the club face back to the ball with consistency and power.

I would submit to you that moving your lead arm across your chest to "lengthen" your swing is actually shortening your swing by

shrinking your swing radius. If you keep your arms and chest connected you will maintain your swing width as you swing back....so you

won't need a long back swing to generate more club head speed, simply because you are now employing leverage that you were

giving away before and your club head may be traveling just as far or possibly farther than it was before.

So, you can still swing free and easy while maintaining connection and leverage as long as you only turn back/up as far as your body will

comfortably allow. And it's possible, over time, to gain back some lost range of motion. I think you will be surprised how far and how

accurately you can hit the ball with what appears to be a short back swing. The difference is the leverage you get by keeping the whole

body in synch and in sequence....and the feeling you get is that of hitting the ball with your whole body and not just your arms and hands.

BTW, that emphasis you have placed on getting to your lead side before you start the down swing; pure gold as it virtually eliminates

that over the top of the plane, out to in down swing. The over the top move is caused by starting the downswing with the shoulders.

Starting the downswing with the hips makes it darn near impossible to swing out to in coming down. Monte's old zipper away move

to start the down swing is another way to do it as it clears the hips out of the way and opens up the inside to out path coming down

to the ball.........and makes the unwanted out to in downswing nearly impossible.

There are so many different mental images we can use and put into play.......so we find what works best for our individual needs.

Just as Reasy said, I'm just putting stuff out here for thought and discussion. Just about everything I have learned about the golf

swing has been learned right here at GolfWRX; where as we have said for years "the learning never stops". I'm all ears for ideas

others here want to share to help us all play better and shoot lower scores................................like Sean's 33 :-)

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

Brother @Conrad1953. No qualifiers necessary with discussions we have here. Swing things (and all commentary) is received willing and in the spirit that it is offered. With appreciation that you took the time to compose and present your points. We just yaking about how to improve one's swing in order to play better golf. Realizing that you understand much more about these matters that I ever will.
In your first post, you commented: "I focus on keeping my hands in front of my chest with arms well connected to the sides of my pecs and let my swing stop wherever it stops within my current range of comfort." That's where my confusion began. How well connected? As in physically touching the sides of your chest? I've watched the Hogan video that Reason posted several times. The DTL view starting at 3:30. It appears that his arms are not entirely well connected to his chest. If anything, he appears to be reaching a bit at setup. Of course, far be it from me to analyze Hogan's swing.
I've tried keeping my arms closer to my body. As a means to mitigate the "flying elbow" syndrome I'm periodically afflicted with. Keeping that right elbow tucked in, maintaining a straight left arm during the takeaway. Often feeling like I'm trying to force myself into a position that I'm not entirely comfortable with. The results seemingly is the hosel shank and/or snap hooks. Neither a positive result. Loose the sense of feeling "fluid' during the swing process. Do grant you that linkage between one's arms and upper body would provide some measure of consistency and repeatability.
Still can realize pretty good rotational flexibility for an old guy. Can easily rotate my shoulders and hips 90* to the ball. A bit more if I'm pushing it. But feel that in the so doing, I'm causing the rest of the swing dynamics to become problematic. I'm pushing the length of the swing, exaggerate the motion, the flow becomes out of sync. Loose that sense of "compactness", with unintended variables that causes the swing to become literally unhinged. Shortening up, keeping the motion under control seemingly allows me to deliver the clubhead back to its starting point with some measure of reliability. Appropriately minimizing the time and space the head is transitioning away from and back to the ball. If that makes any sense.
Lastly: "We can escape that bound up feeling by letting our lead arm move across rather than with our chest as we swing back". What do you mean by this?? I've been air swinging all day and cannot grasp the concept. My lead arm seemingly is always moving in unison with my chest. As the chest rotates back to square at position of strike, the lead arm just follows along.
I've learned a lot about golf and such here at WRX. However, the only place that I've grasped fresh ideas on how to improve my swing is in this thread. I rarely venture into the Instruction forum. And when I have, the discussion is often spoken in a language that I'm woefully unfamiliar with. If I cannot understand the points being made, how could I possibly attempt to implement them? Furthermore, much more of a visual person when attempting to understand golf swing dynamics. Even though I've viewed vids that rapidly descend into lingo and all manner of lines and angles. I get lost quickly.
All this before Reason arrives to "unpack" his trail leg bidness. What happens when he drops swing talk discussion on us, but delays offering his observations. The chatter goes tangental. May try and get out to the range for the first time on Friday. Perform some theory testing of the concepts discussed. Maybe some practice, messing around with swing things would be beneficial.
All this somewhat relevant at the moment. Thinking back to Monday past. Played with the buds, but was late in joining them due to an obligation. Linked up on the 7th tee, played the last three holes on the front abysmally. Like never hit a golf ball before bad. Made the turn and for some reason, things began to click. Bogeyed the par 5 10th, thanks to a three putt. Then strung together six pars in a row. Driving the ball very well, hitting irons shots like one is suppose to, GIR, realistic birdie opportunities. Was fun. Then finished with double bogey 6's on the last two holes. Carding a 41 for the 9. Normally I'd be ecstatic with the score, but was not a happy camper with how I finished. Coulda shoulda been lower with better course management decisions on one hole, and not four (!!!) putting the last. Aye, such is golf.
I was swinging really well, had the mojo flowing. Problem is I don't exactly know what I was doing right with the swing. Other than trying to stay within myself, and not over think it. Been ruminating on it since. Playing decent golf suddenly appears, for an all too brief period. Then disappears just as quickly. Mystery to me.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks for the welcome back Fella. I still want to be in a cart with you some day!

To (hopefully) be upfront, I sometimes use the terms "lead" and "trail". Some play leftie and others rightie. The "trail" leg would be the right handed golfer's right or "back" leg. Conceptual swing lingo is rarely agreed upon even by "experts" - both in definition and application. I dropped a term out there flippantly. That said, sure hope you guys won't feel compelled to speak like some kind of ball flight lawyer. This is the Grille! We can pick up what each other are dropping without fear of being flamed for it... lol.

Ok - On to this leg thing. One highly misleading and misused term is the "braced right leg". It's understandable that it's often called that when you see golfer's apply it from face on. Many better golfers do the following. Amateurs rarely do.

At address, the trail knee is not up over the foot. It's over or even inside that foot's instep. That knee is often flexed inward a fraction almost as though knock-kneed. The head is back behind the ball at address - and for these golfers especially, it stays there until after impact.So this whole business starts at setup. Any of us can do that much right????

Ok now watch these video from the face-on views only as they get to the top of their backswings. WOW!!! That back leg surely does looked braced!!!! Yea the shoulder turn isn't full, but man that "bracing" thing is there in spades.

I'll make the reasonable assumption the very second you truly see this so-called "braced trail leg" your collective brains ran to thoughts of how back breaking and painful that setup and move must be. It MUST be the province of only the freakishly athletic folks on the planet, no???

Here's the dirty little secret. There may be particular reasons some of us physically can't, but I'll compare spine X-ray with anyone and I believe 95% of us can. Will speak more about why it matters in a minute, but here's how.

Setup as described. The whole smash...feet - knees - head.Don't drift that trail knee or lead hip laterally going back.Feel no tension in the top of your trail leg and let your hips go about turning in simple response to your shoulder turn.Let you trail knee and butt cheek drift back behind you as though you're somewhat "sitting" into your trail hip.BINGO You just did it. From face on, it looks super braced. And yet there you are probably more relaxed at the top than you've ever been.

Icing on the cake... change directions into the downswing smoothly; let the trail elbow lead your "oily wrists" into impact and let that clubhead SNAP with your head back behind the ball. Lastly, avoid slamming your weight into the lead leg and foot. If you want to feel pressure into the ground thru that foot, feel it out just past your lead foot an instant after impact.

Now here's why it helps.

A confusing swing term is "down and through". Which one is it? Also, what is "hand flip" and how do I control it? Does the weigh "shift" because of some conscious action or does it just happen on it's own? What's all this yammer about angles of attack? And the ever popular...

"Hey I'm a feel golfer!" Or "Just hit the $&@& ball. Or "I'm losing ALL distance and accuracy with age.

All these things move into the realm of taking care of themselves. Maybe be most importantly - While nothing is as simple as just adding water and waiting 20 minutes, this is something within our grasp, it doesn't cause pain, and is born largely in the setup.

The downside risks... There a chance you might (at first) tend to push shots while adopting this, and until you trust it, the random shank may apppear. But once you're with the program... we'll only those who try will know that answer.

Signed,

Kerpowski

• Like 2

LOL, thanks for the kind words and we can easily see how we might write something we think is clear but to others may be about

as clear as mud. My bad as I got the impression you were saying that you are unable to keep your arms and chest moving together

and felt bound up trying to stay connected. What you were actually saying was that keeping your arms up against the pecs made you

feel like your arms were in too close to your body. For me the arms/pecs thing is a feel and a mental image. I've not been one to

stuff something into my pits and try to hold it there during the swing; though I know some actually do....Vijay I think is one. I think

doing that is actually a bridge too far for most and could lead to unnecessary tension.

As far as the lead arm moving across the chest; that relates to the disconnection that occurs when the arms outrace the chest going back

or keep moving after the chest has stopped. If the lead arm is moving and the chest is not then the lead arm is moving across the chest

rather than with it. As I mentioned, beside the disconnection problem, this also causes a loss of width and a shrinking of the radius in

the back swing. This is obviously not a problem for you since you move your arms and chest together in the back swing.

In recent times; due to a lack of playing for several years, I got into the bad habit of disconnecting on the down swing where my chest

would slow down as I approached the ball and I would throw the club at the ball. It's a bad habit and hard to break once you start

doing it. In the short game it can lead to a decel which causes poor/weak ball contact/mishits.

Thankfully, I've put that behind me with more playing time this past year. I had to get back to trusting that my club head was on the right

path and keep everything moving all the way back around to the finish; feeling like I'm accelerating all the way and not slowing down.

I got into a bad spell before of not trusting and feeling the need to, stupidly, intervene at impact; causing all sorts of contact problems.

Glad that is behind me.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)