2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

The wrecked back part is the part scaring me right now. Do not know exactly what is going to happen with me when I heal up. Did find out after my accident that my previous back problems were muscular more than likely caused by sitting in a truck 12 to 4 hours a day 5 days a week. I do know after I semi retired and started walking and playing more I had absolutely no back problems and had started hitting heavier shafted stiffer irons on my vintage play.

On the putting thing for me I found out and went back to my old ways of not analyzing too much information and go on instinct. I was putting great before I got hurt. Right now I am not doing too bad with the broom stick. I putted with one for a while about 10 years ago. My broomstick method is a little different. I never anchored before and do not now. My top wrist breaks and so does the trail hand. I was always a wristy putter anyhow. But time will tell. I will heal up and find a way to swing and play

On the chili thing. If we use canned chili we use the Wolf Brand chili even though the Sky Line is good too. The Sky Line chili is a product of Steak and Shake. Believe it or not both of ours closed up even before the Covid 19 thing. What kills a lot of chain restaurants here is poor service. We went to our nearby Steak and Shake a couple of times and the food was good but the service sucked. We did not go back. Here there are too many restaurants to choose from both chain and locally owned to put up with poor service. Another example right down the street from me the Applebees. The service sucked I went on the net one night to complain and my location had like 500 complaints in the previous 6 months from locals and tourists alike. They ended up closing the place. A local owned co with 2 locations moved in there and are doing great. We have ate there many times. On the hot dog thing I can believe the Sears thing really I do. I do know some of the members on here rant and rave about the good hot dogs at Costco have not had the pleasure yet.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Agree with the service at eating houses, last time we went out for a lunch time meal it not only took nearly an hour for the food to arrive but DW sent hers back as it was not edible. The waitress wanted to argue about it but she was very quickly shut down when we pointed out what she had delivered. That was around 8 months ago and we have not been out eating since.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

@Reasonability commented:
About to perform a paint job (flat black) on a used Spider Putter for my son. Any thoughts as to best practices... I'm all ears.Will be adding one more coat of gloss enamel to my G15 5-metal, followed by multi-coats of gloss clear coating.Reads as though you've performed a head paint job before. So don't know what I can offer. Did a refinish on a V-Steel 4-metal over the winter. Relatively easy and straight forward. Sanded the entire head, not to remove the prior finish, but too rough up the surface. Cleaned the head well with acetone prior to painting. Used 1/8" pin striping tape (for contours) and masking tape (larger surfaces), to cover the areas that I didn't want to paint. Used a rattle can of Rustoleum in matte black. Applied light coats (3), sanding with 400 grit sandpaper between coats. Building up the layers. Then a fourth and final coat. Because of the time of year, had the luxury of letting the head "cure" for a month or better. Would consider allowing the head to harden for at least a couple of weeks before using. Paint filled the numbers, letters and scoring lines. Did not apply a clear coat. Came out better than anticipated, the finish seems to be durable.
Had to look up what a Spider putter looked like. Lots of nooks and crannies apparently. Trick will be applying even coverage in those areas without runs. Bit of involved taping also. Difficult to determine a plan of action without the specific head in hand. Is there a particular "practice" you are wondering about?
  • Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

WE have been in the habit of doing curbside pickup from the local restaurants since that option became available fairly early on (as in Easter IIRC). We're still doing it and have no interest in changing really as we have our own slice of paradise to sit and eat outside without the fear or hassle of trying to eat with a crowd, albeit a greatly reduced crowd. Winter will be different, but no one will be eating outside either.

WE had become quite accustomed to eating out a lot. With the restrictions put in place to deal with the pandemic that stopped overnight. Our habits have no sufficiently been changed that I don't see that practice returning anytime soon, if at all. I know that our daily spend has been reduced quite a bit during all this and with DW retiring fairly soon we will have adapted to the reduced income flow beforehand.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

FWIW. Costco hot dogs are "da bomb". Never thought about trying one when there, until I did. A quality dog experience. Steamed tube and bun. Hebrew National use to be the goto for a premium dog. But the Kirkland Signature 100% All Beef hot dogs is every bit as good and a much better value. HN once supplied Costco with dogs, until supply and price became unacceptable. They decided to begin making their own dogs. All beef, no fillers or weird parts, absent the chemical additives, more than fills a bun. Ksig's for the win IMHO.

Not much of a chili dog fan (we call them Coney's around here). Most taste like crapola, to salty, to sloppy. Prefer simple adornment. A good mustard (Backwoods Sweet & Tangy), a slather of dill relish, a quality sauerkraut if available.

Although composing this evening while chowing on locally made Rinaldi jalapeño cheddar bratwursts.

• Like 2

Back before Costco merged with/took over Price Club, I worked fairly close to the original/first Price Club store in San Diego, CA.

All the Price Club stores had the hot dog stand out front but this one store in San Diego had pizza.........and it was killer pizza. People

would drive there from all around the area to get some pizza for lunch on weekdays. I was sad when Costco took over Price Club

but that was many years ago and probably few even remember Price Club any more.

• Like 1

#1 son had a job working at Canadian Tire when he was in high school. He worked in the automotive department on the order desk. The store he worked at had a hotdog/sausage stand out front. A younger European woman ran the stand and she had the best street meat going. Loved her Polish sausage. The hotdogs weren't bad either. There's just something about getting a street brat on a sesame bun with quality mustard and sauerkraut!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Playing golf with the buds tomorrow morning per the norm. Been in the garage trying to decide which implements to take. The ISI's are regriped and anxious to give them a trial out in the wild. But afraid to fully commit without a safety net of the "regulars". Just in case things don't quite work out as anticipated. Hmmm.....a quandary. What to do? Why not bag them all. Plus a recently rediscovered 27* hybrid from BITD. And a 58* wedge that I cannot hit very well. (But the course tomorrow has some elevation, may be useful. At least for one shot.) Think there's room in the putter well for the Anser as a second. Blade or Fang, depending on how they're rolling.

Bought a 6-way divider cart bag for a reason. Room to jam in as many clubs as possible. Hope I don't give myself a hernia trying to heft it onto the back of the cart.

cm1mjn2uqjqoko-25pcd2wng-thumb-1a06.jpg

• Like 3

Now, that is a bag! Why not? Must confess I sometimes tee off with 15 or 16 clubs in the bag so I can experiment on the course.

One of the benefits of cart golf, lol.......................the "heavy" bag. All is good when playing by OGA rules. I like your color choice

of bag and head covers.

• Like 2

My total repaint chops would easily classify as novice. Wouldn't want to misrepresent - lol. The G15 5-metal counts as my first serious attempt. Lost it's head cover a couple of years ago and foolishly allowed it's finish to suffer Thankfully no deep dings.

Learned the hard way to allow enamel plenty of cure time. You speak wisely Kemosabe. Had no clue 24/48 hours between coats isn't even close. Ended up with three coats of permanently sticky tree sap and started over. Also used the rattle can. Fancy one day having me a true paint cup to go with my compressor.

Never thought to use pin stripe tape. Wish now I'd asked you before starting. Used an exacto knife and masking tape. Worked but took tedious hours. Got as far as three properly cured light coats and started gaming it So I owe that stick a finish. Would hate taking her out of commission mid-season for weeks.... might wait until fall or winter come to think of it. Wonder if any sort of infra red light.... prolly not. No clue yet what would be the best way to clear/gloss it. Going for that wet high gloss look.

While we're kicking tires... For a couple of bucks, I grabbed a small bottle of this clear top-coat used by model car enthusiasts. Intended to cover decals. The stuff is awesome as a top coat on paint fills! Tried clear fingernail polish in the past and never loved the look. This stuff is easy to find at hobby shops, totally disappears when dry, and really protects your handiwork for a long time. Doesn't wash off either.

Decent at re-gripping, re-shafting, and not too bad at turning ferrules. But a total repainting is still new territory here.

• Like 2

Your swing has a great chance of being just fine. You're listening to your Docs and PT pros. That's the key! Add to that, you've always figured out how you want to swing your swing. There's probably a couple of rolls of lead tape out there with your name on it, but the Vegas odds on you and your swing are very good.

Yea, Sears had a small counter near one of the exits to the parking lot. And they did back then exactly what Costco figured out these days. Those freak'n nitro sticks really drew a crowd! And the bun was killer, too.

Simple decent service while dining out, or buying just about anything is so refreshing, right? It's still out there but not quite as easy to find. Hate plopping negativity and pet peeves out but will say I have one thing I expect from wait-staff and rarely get it.

Normally when dining out, I'm really into what others at the table want to discuss. It's (to me) as though we're all drinking in the convo just as much if not more than the meal itself. INVARIABLY, right in the middle of a sentence, one of us is rudely interrupted out of nowhere by a waitress/waiter telling us what they want to say. It's not polite! Wait until someone finishes a sentence and THEN ease your way in.

The wife cringes when she sees me get that blown fuse look I always send their way. Kicks me under the table if I ask if it's OK for one of us to at least finish a sentence. Tips are known to grow OR shrink based on this one. Yes, I'll actually pay for good manners.

It's all good gents. Haven't ever gone postal over it. Hope I never do. Just a pet peeve.

• Like 2

Is there suddenly a limit on quoting others??? Can't quote Scomacer. Oh well. The joys of the new WRX environment in a world where bandwidth is being squeezed til it screams. The joke is on me if smashing the 'quote' button ten times causes this post to be riddled with the same quote.

So anywho, Scomacer I'm going to shoot straight with you. Was away from WRX for close to a year. When returning I remember asking myself when first tuning back in, if you and golf were all done with each other. Was kinda expecting that to be the case.

You went through a heck of a tunnel. Heck those of us with a tender back always will, right? Somehow, someway, we so often find the way. Might not be able to tie our shoes on some days, but we eke out a little golf eventually. You don't need me to be proud of you for hanging in there. But I am very proud of you, Sir. Atta boy!

• Like 2

I remember, back in the Confessions days here when we all posted a ton of music videos and I posted some old Bangles videos.

Now, at 61 years old, Susanna Hoffs this year during the stay at home..................Cobi and I kinda notice while we watch movies, etc.,

how some have aged and how some have aged really well while others haven't......

Looks to me like Susanna has aged really well

https://youtu.be/NH_z7Hj9G_kAnd...........the original, I think from 1986 or so..........34 years ago, give or take

• Like 2

You guys are covering ground and making time! Great news that our friend Bill is well! Nice to have the old Judge Reasey presiding again. We are back from a nice camping trip up to our favorite lake a little over an hour away. Thurs. through Mon. Friday, Sunday and Monday nice with rain on Saturday. Got out the old boat (1989) and it still runs well. Daughter#4 and SIL and 2 grandkids along. I don't know if any of you are bird watchers but I had an amazing time up there. Got myself some nice binoculars a couple of years ago and sat in camp up against a thick row of trees and brush with wild ripe cherry trees and other berries turning from green to purple. Grey catbird, Yellow Warbler, Mountain Chickadee, Bullock's Oriole, Red-Naped Sapsucker, Hummingbird, Yellow-Rumped (Audubon's) Warbler, Cedar Waxwing, Western Tanager, Robins, Swallows, Ravens, Flycatchers, Osprey, Yellow Headed Blackbird. Some real beauties. Back to golf tomorrow.

• Like 3

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I am very much an amateur as a scandinavian bird watcher, but my brother is one of the most enthusiastic in our country, having seen top-20 number of species. Goes wide and far in our country, as soon as there is a storm from Russia, he and the other enthusiasts goes to some island in the baltic sea to see rare species blow in from the east... also frequently travels the world to see birds. Australia, Africa, Cuba, many, many times to Amazonas and a little in the US too. But I know the species that comes to our feeding station outside the kitchen window in the winters... goldfinches and stuff. There are a few species that are common to both sides of the great waters I believe.

• Like 2

I may have mentioned earlier that I had purchased a Squirrel Buster bird feeder in the early spring. We have it in the garden visible from the kitchen window. Lots of interesting species come to visit, but lately it has been more of a case of local residents only including a nesting pair of Cardinals along with various finches and sparrows. Occasionally a Blue Jay comes to visit. O recall one weekend that we had a pair of Baltimore Orioles courting in the birch tree in the next yard, but they seem to have moved on as I haven't seen them in quite some time.

The Robins are still busy feeding their voracious horde and we have a group of Red wing blackbirds that torment the raptors in the neighbourhood. With a bird feeder you soon learn who are the meat eaters versus the vegans amongst our feathered friends.

My latest group of interlopers are a family of chipmunks. At least one of them has figured out how to beat the spring loaded bird feeder and can gorge to its delight. The mechanism is a weight trigger and the chippies are so small that they don't weight enough to lockout the feeder.

It's always something: If it isn't chipmunks in the bird feeder it's rabbits making a mess of my flowers!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@Reasonability; I certainly appreciate your encouraging words of support. I guess we all go through it from time-to-time questioning if it's all worth it?
I really can't expect much because I haven't found a place to practice yet since I moved. I practice a bit when I go to the course to play, but that's simply a matter of taking a few putts and maybe a couple of chips. I desperately need to spend some serious time with my short game and I just don't know how that's possible right now under the current restrictions with courses being so busy with play.
The SW is just a mystery to me at this juncture. It costs me strokes every time I pull it out of the bag. It's inexplicably short too which has left me with a fairly wide gap between my GW and it of something in the order of 25 yards carry.
AS far as the short game is concerned simplest is best as far as I'm concerned which has to point to using a very basic technique with a variety of clubs; say 7, 9, GW to achieve different rollouts. The thing is gaining confidence and you can't do that without practice, so frustration grows on most days unless I get incredibly lucky. I should just quit keeping score but that's hard to do during league play. I keep telling the guys that my goal for the season is to go from a 9 handicap to a 14 (for 9 holes). At the rate I'm going I should be there by the end of the season!
  • Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Dang! That's quite the load of lumber, sack of hammers, you've got there buddy! I'm glad it's on your back and not mine!

A club for every situation from the looks of it. I wish you all the best in finding your magical combination.

-------------------------

When I look back over the last few years I just shake my head at how I changed clubs almost continuously. Sometimes I'd play 3 completely different sets over the course of a week! I could score with most anything. I can remember quite fondly bringing out a Sunday bag with a half set of forged blades and 3 laminate woods and winning the Nassau that day as all my league guys just shook their heads in disbelief. Those were the days...

Now I struggle with the same setup game in and game out, switching out the odd club on rare occasion to no avail. Where have all the flowers gone...

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

In Las Vegas there are more casinos than Catholic Churches and when the plate gets passed around at church, many donate with gambling

chips from all the various casinos in town. The chips have to be sent to a central church location to be sorted so they can be taken to the

casino whose name is on the chip for cash redemption. Of course, the sorting is done by the chip monks.

• Like 2

Love all the Bird info. We have a few in our yard,but we are pretty much surrounded by the forest.

A Red Tailed hawk has its nest and raises its young usually until august,then they move on somewhere.

Their nest is on one end of the yard area, and momma Owl raises hers on the other end. Not too many

birds,chipmunks,or bushy-tailed rats stay around...lol. Plenty of deer,turkey and a beautiful red fox ran thru today.

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)