2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Titleist 917 driver: shot at the 2016 Quicken Loans National

With the assistance of our Titleist Sales Rep and Tech Rep I conducted a Titleist Staff Fitting Day for our Chapter PGA Members this past Wednesday and results were VERY good. First impression of the D3 and D2 were VERY classic in shape... the D3 had a very pronounced classic pear shape and the D2, yes similar to the original 910, was more round and more pleasing in shape over the 915. The 917 D2 almost had a smaller appearance to my eye and less of a dinner plate look. Sound is amazing and both drivers are very neutral weight bias..

Every professional including my self saw more consistency with ball speed across the face especially when using the throw weight to match up with one's consistent off center hits. Personally I saw spin rates decrease from my 915 D2 about 200-300 which really made this parameter for my conditions more optimal. The most interesting part of the new 917 is indeed the movable CG which is completely different than any other moveable CG on the market... For me it really didn't make the club head release faster (draw) or slower (fade) with the weight moved to the heel or toe respectively... If your misses are consistent in the heal (as are mine) the ball speed reduction was almost nil with the throw weight moved into the draw setting (heel) and vise verse with consistent toe strikes. I don't remember any of the professionals that were fitted using a fade CG position, all were either neutral or draw CG.

The fairway wood was amazingly quiet with a solid "hot" sound. Extremely easy to launch over the 915 with the same or even less spin. Both the driver and fairway are the best looking, sounding, performing woods I have ever hit.

I believe it has already been noted in this thread but here is a basic run up of the STOCK shaft offerings and is it important to note that ALL DRIVERS AND FAIRWAYS WILL BE SHIPPING WITH BOTH A NUETRAL WEIGHT AND THE THROW WEIGHT (draw and fade setting)...

STOCK DRIVER/FAIRWAY SHAFTS (don't know specific weights but your can assume based on pass releases)

Aldila Rogue Silver

Aldila Rogue Black

Aldila Rogue MAX (in pics graphics looks blah...in person it's awesome, graphite has a checkerd look that is noticeable)

Fujikura Tour Spec (new paint job very cool! White top with Navy bottom and has a texture)

Fujikura 757

Fujikura 661

Diamana Limited (white, blue, red, with new "lux" graphics)

Thank you for this thorough write up. Now even more curious to play around with the weighting.

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the detailed info!

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

With the assistance of our Titleist Sales Rep and Tech Rep I conducted a Titleist Staff Fitting Day for our Chapter PGA Members this past Wednesday and results were VERY good. First impression of the D3 and D2 were VERY classic in shape... the D3 had a very pronounced classic pear shape and the D2, yes similar to the original 910, was more round and more pleasing in shape over the 915. The 917 D2 almost had a smaller appearance to my eye and less of a dinner plate look. Sound is amazing and both drivers are very neutral weight bias..

Every professional including my self saw more consistency with ball speed across the face especially when using the throw weight to match up with one's consistent off center hits. Personally I saw spin rates decrease from my 915 D2 about 200-300 which really made this parameter for my conditions more optimal. The most interesting part of the new 917 is indeed the movable CG which is completely different than any other moveable CG on the market... For me it really didn't make the club head release faster (draw) or slower (fade) with the weight moved to the heel or toe respectively... If your misses are consistent in the heal (as are mine) the ball speed reduction was almost nil with the throw weight moved into the draw setting (heel) and vise verse with consistent toe strikes. I don't remember any of the professionals that were fitted using a fade CG position, all were either neutral or draw CG.

The fairway wood was amazingly quiet with a solid "hot" sound. Extremely easy to launch over the 915 with the same or even less spin. Both the driver and fairway are the best looking, sounding, performing woods I have ever hit.

I believe it has already been noted in this thread but here is a basic run up of the STOCK shaft offerings and is it important to note that ALL DRIVERS AND FAIRWAYS WILL BE SHIPPING WITH BOTH A NUETRAL WEIGHT AND THE THROW WEIGHT (draw and fade setting)...

STOCK DRIVER/FAIRWAY SHAFTS (don't know specific weights but your can assume based on pass releases)

Aldila Rogue Silver

Aldila Rogue Black

Aldila Rogue MAX (in pics graphics looks blah...in person it's awesome, graphite has a checkerd look that is noticeable)

Fujikura Tour Spec (new paint job very cool! White top with Navy bottom and has a texture)

Fujikura 757

Fujikura 661

Great write-up.

Just curious if you happen to notice what weight the CG plugs were and if they will be offering different weighted plugs for more extreme/less weight movement (or for ppssibly changing swing weight)?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I want a 917 D2... but I think I have to wait until next spring. Everything about the club sounds like a winner.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Aldila Rogue Silver

Aldila Rogue Black

Fujikura 757

Fujikura 661

Awesome write up, thank you for taking the time. Very intrigued by the moveable CG and the effect on heel misses. Maybe even my heely scabs down the fairway might start to work when I get a 917.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Aldila Rogue Silver

Aldila Rogue Black

Fujikura 757

Fujikura 661

Great write-up.

Just curious if you happen to notice what weight the CG plugs were and if they will be offering different weighted plugs for more extreme/less weight movement (or for ppssibly changing swing weight)?

The weights are VERY cool. They are primarily carbon fiber with a tungsten weight inside and are all heavier than the their respective 915 replacement.. The driver and fairway weights are the same diameter but difference lengths. The weights are available in different increments for SW purpose and follow the same color code pattern as the past generation models, i.e. Red standard, Green, White (going lighter) and Blue, Black (going heavier) but I don't remember what the specific weight is. I will say if you prefer a specific SW that your order better be correct because getting a 917 weight kit, either driver or fairway, will be EXPENSIVE!!!

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

He said feeling, not sounding. As much as I have trashed Nike gear, please don't take away the purpose of this thread. All equipment has its Pros and Cons, but let's just focus on how awesome (potentially) the 917 can be....

I'll take this opportunity to tell you not to try and tell me what to comment on. The guys were discussing feel and sound. I commented on sound from what I've heard because I haven't hit the flex so I couldn't comment on feel. I happen to love my vr pro ltd 5 wood. Do yourself a favor and don't spend anytime trying to decide what can or can not be commented on. And btw I'm really looking forward to the 917 fairway to try and knock the 915 fd out of bag

#crazysite

Tell me about it...nothing like scrubs chirping from behind a keyboard ;)

I think your hilarious.

*you're

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Chrome Soft X

I am interested in the spec's for the new shaft offerings... ie Rogue MAX and the new Diamana's.

Can't wait to hit this driver!

The rogue max spins between the silver and black and launches lower than both(for me.) it feels more stable than both. The max has a normal balance point as opposed to higher balance point of silver. That was hard for me to square up do to high balance point. The new diamanas are stiffer than older ones. Feels very good and stable, the d+ is very low spin and low-mid launching.

TS3 9.5 Tensei Orange v2 70 TX
TS2 15 Tensei Orange80 TX
718 TMB 2, 4-9 C Taper S+
SM7 46,52,56,60 S400
Newport 009

I am so stoked to get the 917's.

There's a fitting at the local pgatoursuperstore on 9/17, but it's first come first serve which kinda stinks.

When the release date was first set, I was wondering why it was on a Saturday. I just now figured out (with the help of a coworker) 917 and 9/17, lol

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Excited! Getting fitted for driver and 3 wood on Sunday!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

No 9/17 events anywhere close to me. Gonna have to take a drive.

Not everyone is advertising yet, but this is a nationwide event. Just about everyone with a Titleist account will be participating. Unfortunately that means no reps with their fitting equipment at most places. We are having a smaller invitation only fitting event with the rep one evening between this large event and the release date. Sounds like this is how they want to do it. Have a general fitting day with everyone and something that feels more exclusive.

SIM 9.0 Ventus Blue 7X, SIM 15* Ventus Blue 8X
U500 2i, OT100, P7.MC 3-4, P7.MB 6-P, Modus 120 X
MG2 53, 58 Modus 120 X, Toulon Garage Austin

I am interested in the spec's for the new shaft offerings... ie Rogue MAX and the new Diamana's.

Can't wait to hit this driver!

The rogue max spins between the silver and black and launches lower than both(for me.) it feels more stable than both. The max has a normal balance point as opposed to higher balance point of silver. That was hard for me to square up do to high balance point. The new diamanas are stiffer than older ones. Feels very good and stable, the d+ is very low spin and low-mid launching.

Would say the new D+ plays more along the line of the Ahina?

Also anyone know the ship date for the drivers?

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s

No 9/17 events anywhere close to me. Gonna have to take a drive.

Not everyone is advertising yet, but this is a nationwide event. Just about everyone with a Titleist account will be participating. Unfortunately that means no reps with their fitting equipment at most places. We are having a smaller invitation only fitting event with the rep one evening between this large event and the release date. Sounds like this is how they want to do it. Have a general fitting day with everyone and something that feels more exclusive.

I may just make an appointment at TPI. Been wanting to for some time. Thirty minute drive to Oceanside. The only place close to me is Dicks and thats just a mat and a net.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Finally caught up on this thread, my takeaways are...

Sound seems much improved over the 915 based on the video.

I love the shape of the D3, I think from the top the VFP I play basically copied the D3 shape to keep Rory happy which means the look of the D3 should make me happy.

I tried M1 and M2, hate that stretched back shape and the D2 looks similar to those so it probably would not fit my eye.

I am 99% sure I will have a new 917 fairway on 10/20. 50/50 on the driver but I do love the shape.

Though I have Vokey wedges, have owned several Scotty's, and may buy their woods, I never want to be associated with the Titleist fanboys.

People like different things and that is okay. Do not state that a particular driver is unilaterally the best, especially when two separate independent tests from leading golf media outlets show other drivers to be the best on average, but primarily prove the "best" driver varies from person to person.

People should keep in mind two things when they blindly or irrationally defend any brand or organization.

1) Other people now associate idiotic zealotry with that brand and will be turned off of that brand. If anything they will dig in deeper with their own loyalties. This hurts the company you love so dearly.

2) Is that company going to show the same loyalty to you? If you think they are then you are delusional. Go out and shoot an 85 this weekend, see if Titleist jumps on Twitter calling your playing partners stupid and making excuses for your poor performance.

These are things it took me time to learn, I spent a lot of my early 20's in Camaro vs Mustang vs Import arguments.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Hit both today D3 and D2

Came into the fitting thinking that the D3 would be my choice but ended up going with a D2. Loved the Fuji pro 74 and rogue max 65x but ended up with a rogue silver 125 Msi 70x. was getting better ball speed and better numbers with the D2 set to neutral. D2 ball speed was 181, swing speed at 123, on a trackman.

Really impressed and surprised by the D2. The feel and shape are a bit better on the D3 but the D2 is a cannon. I think it will be a big time seller.

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

Hit both today D3 and D2

Came into the fitting thinking that the D3 would be my choice but ended up going with a D2. Loved the Fuji pro 74 and rogue max 65x but ended up with a rogue silver 125 Msi 70x. was getting better ball speed and bester numbers with the D2 set to neutral.

Really impressed and surprised by the D2. The feel and shape are a bit better on the D3 but the D2 is a cannon. I think it will be a big time seller.

where did you demo? Pricing info?

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Chrome Soft X

Hit both today D3 and D2

Came into the fitting thinking that the D3 would be my choice but ended up going with a D2. Loved the Fuji pro 74 and rogue max 65x but ended up with a rogue silver 125 Msi 70x. was getting better ball speed and better numbers with the D2 set to neutral. D2 ball speed was 181, SS 123, on a trackman.

where did you demo? Pricing info?

My pro was getting a fitting at my club and I was fit too. No info on pricing but assume it will be in line with other highend drivers.

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

With a lot of guys on tour switching from d4 to d2 and to hit the d2 I would be surprised if they did a moto D4. Possible but the D2 is so good they may not need it.

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

I'm looking forward to hitting the D2. The D4 might be get the boot from my bag....

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

Got fitted today. I was really impressed with the 917 line up. To me the D2 felt better and sounded better than the D3. The weights are fun to play with and you can dial in your swing weights to what feels good to you. I went in thinking I would be fit for the D3 and I was wrong . D2 was the clear winner. Also F2 fairway was amazing imo. Felt awesome. So I am ordering:

D2 w/ 10g head weight. Diamana D+ Limited 70X at 44 3/4"

F2 15deg standard head weight w/ D+ Limited 80X 43"

But also gonna pull my Oban Black and white and put anadapter in it to compare. And also need to cut them down to match what I got fit for.

Asked if a D4 was coming and the Titleist fitter said yes. Also asked if the weight kit comes with and he said no, but you can buy it for $125. And I'm not sure if it's just for the driver or for both driver and fairway. Didn't ask if their was a separate weight kit for the fairways.

All in all very impressed and will be gaming the 917 in October!

On a side note. Does anyone know the specs for the D+ Limited shafts?

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

Oh man a D4....? I was ready to put my order in for D3 tomorrow! Is it coming at release date or way further down the line?

Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s