2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New Titleist 917 driver: shot at the 2016 Quicken Loans National

I was also told by Titleist that they created the movable weight on the new 917 to enable them to weight the club quickly for tour player preference. The tour van often had to internally weight the driver for specific players. This new feature allows them to do it quickly.

Does this mean they don't expect to be doing much hot melt in the future?

That I don't know, but in regards to draw or fade bias, I'd say yes, less of that custom work for tour players. I'm not sure if they engineered the acoustics with or with out hot melt as a vibration dampening element. Guess we'll have to wait till someone cuts one in half... ;)

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it feels more like the 910/913 series, one of my biggest quips with the 915 is the feel.

if you think the 915 feels bad, don't hit the M1. Yes, the 913 was like butter, but the 915 doesn't feel that bad. Most of the drivers on the market feel worse to me.

I agree with your comments about the M1. I tried it at a Demo/Fitting day with an Aldila Tour Green, and I didn't think it felt too bad actually, but the other day, I grabbed one from my Pro, stuck my GD Tour AD GP shaft that's in my M2, and the M1 felt like absolute cr**. My M2 feels so much better.

The feel of the 915 was not great, no, but there's other stuff out there that is just as bad if not worse. And I did think the D3 felt marginally better than the D2 FWIW.

Does anyone know if they are going to come out with new Hybrids as well ? or sticking with H1 H2 16s?

The 816 line just came out late last year with the 716 irons.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Does anyone know if they are going to come out with new Hybrids as well ? or sticking with H1 H2 16s?

The 816 line just came out late last year with the 716 irons.

The hybrids will come out on even years with the irons.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

If they can get the spin down on the drivers, I can't imagine why you wouldn't fill your entire bag with their stuff. In fact, I'd say the driver is the only weakness in their current lineup. Looking forward to seeing some trackman numbers on the 917 line.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

If they can get the spin down on the drivers, I can't imagine why you wouldn't fill your entire bag with their stuff. In fact, I'd say the driver is the only weakness in their current lineup. Looking forward to seeing some trackman numbers on the 917 line.

Spin down? They're low enough, it's only in WRX-land that Titleist drivers aren't low enough according to their tour-van, Butch Harmon-esque knowledge of "low spin." The only weakness? Bud, honestly, you're welcome to chase another 10 on top of my 310 if you like, but personally I will take the extra "spin" and land center cut....#uneducated

Spin down? They're low enough, it's only in WRX-land that Titleist drivers aren't low enough according to their tour-van, Butch Harmon-esque knowledge of "low spin." The only weakness? Bud, honestly, you're welcome to chase another 10 on top of my 310 if you like, but personally I will take the extra "spin" and land center cut....#uneducated

I will never understand your defending of titleist when someone has a legit comment about them that doesn't match your thinking. You really like your titleist stuff, we understand. Doesn't mean it's good for everyone. The 915 lacked in ball speed against others for me as well as higher spin. But I guess you will probably say I wasn't hitting it in the center?

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

M1 low spin = harsh feel and rough for me! Will take just a touch more spin and control any day.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

I will never understand your defending of titleist when someone has a legit comment about them that doesn't match your thinking. You really like your titleist stuff, we understand. Doesn't mean it's good for everyone. The 915 lacked in ball speed against others for me as well as higher spin. But I guess you will probably say I wasn't hitting it in the center?

Awww Kyle, no Nike stuff to comment on? By others, we all know you mean your Vapor Fly junk...I didn't say it's the longest bud, but chasing the 2-3mph of ball speed and the 3-400 lowest spin will equate to the distance lost, that I am sure of. I for one will take the accuracy, and the 74's that are the result of such accuracy....

Yep Sept. 17th somethings going on. Got a 917 update email today from Titleist. They say to save the date for something big coming that day. Maybe a nationwide demo/fitting day?.

I am seriously thinking of going to TPI in Oceanside for a driver fitting when they are available there. Anyone ever do that? Its not that much

Guessing, first day to pre-order and they should release on 10/20.

It's hard to get a sense of the color of the crown. How does it compare to the SLDR crown? Some pics make it seem very light, and others seem close to black.

dark grey color. very muted and once people get it in their hands i don't think they'll even think twice about it imo.

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

It's hard to get a sense of the color of the crown. How does it compare to the SLDR crown? Some pics make it seem very light, and others seem close to black.

dark grey color. very muted and once people get it in their hands i don't think they'll even think twice about it imo.

I've got the SLDR 430 and really like the shape/look. Hope the D3 looks similar. And yes I agree in pics some look dark grey SLDR-ish and some very light.

rymail00 2018 WITB [i][b] [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1605910-rymail00-2018-witb-pic-heavy/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/[/url][/b][/i]

[size=3]TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer) [/size]
[size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR B60[/size]
[size=3]TP Mills Heritage 349g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan 006 355g [/size]
[size=3]Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper [/size]
[size=3]C&L CL1 368g[/size]
Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style

I might have missed this in an earlier post but the bar can be put in either way to make it draw or fade biased form my understanding (meaning one end is weighted). What if you want it to be neutral (no bias), how would you do that? Is there a second weight that comes with it that is equal weight on both ends?

I might have missed this in an earlier post but the bar can be put in either way to make it draw or fade biased form my understanding (meaning one end is weighted). What if you want it to be neutral (no bias), how would you do that? Is there a second weight that comes with it that is equal weight on both ends?

The standard bar will be neutral. You'll have to change to the draw or fade weighted bar witch is off-course included in the package.

I'm ready to see a video on these to see how they sound.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

I've been playing with a couple of Tour Issue M1/M2 drivers for a while. I love the distance I get, but I've been having control problems. I took out my 915 D2 for a side by side competition, and it was normally within 5 - 10 yards of the M1/M2. Once in a while I would hit the Tmag just right and get more out of it, but for the most part the 915 was close to keeping up. That being said, the 915 D2 felt much, much better. It sounded better as well. Most importantly, it was a little bit more accurate. Maybe not enough to ditch the m1/m2, but enough that I will be playing it when I'm struggling with the m1/m2.

I also brought out my G LS recently, it might just be the perfect combo between the 915 D2 and M2. We will see...

If Titleist can make the 915 even a little bit longer without sacrificing feel, they will have a winner. I'm sure I'll own it regardless of how it performs anyway....

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

One of the major reasons why titleist designed the 915 line the way they did was to reduce spin (an r&d project that was started years ago in fact, but simply not released to the public). With the 917, they are once again looking to improve in that area, among others, using an MIT based prototype as inspiration. If titleist considers this important, why are you arguing that it's not important? Plenty of independent testing, including robot and player, has been done around this area to clearly demonstrate how the drivers perform, and titleist has invested in a lot of r&d to improve their product. I appreciate your blind loyalty to the company, but you need to relax. For goodness sake, you went on some blind rage on someone you don't know that has a 915 driver (which you would know if you looked at signature).

# :tease:

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

One of the major reasons why titleist designed the 915 line the way they did was to reduce spin (an r&d project that was started years ago in fact, but simply not released to the public). With the 917, they are once again looking to improve in that area, among others, using an MIT based prototype as inspiration. If titleist considers this important, why are you arguing that it's not important? Plenty of independent testing, including robot and player, has been done around this area to clearly demonstrate how the drivers perform, and titleist has invested in a lot of r&d to improve their product. I appreciate your blind loyalty to the company, but you need to relax. For goodness sake, you went on some blind rage on someone you don't know that has a 915 driver (which you would know if you looked at signature).

I'm sorry, did I say it wasn't important? Blind rage??? LOL...I said it wasn't as relevant...they're not the lowest spinning, but they're low enough spin to do the job but not according to WRX....please reread my point before you come with the brain trust...within 10 yards, and far more accurate...

I'm sorry, did I say it wasn't important? Blind rage??? LOL...I said it wasn't as relevant...they're not the lowest spinning, but they're low enough spin to do the job but not according to WRX....please reread my point before you come with the brain trust...within 10 yards, and far more accurate...

JgWTm8.gif

----------------
Golf Jobs

spacer.png

was able to hit the 917d2 today on the outdoor range.

no date to back it up.

i really like it. nice color. it's more of a dark charcoal with a metallic touch. almost couldn't tell that its supposed to be grey. the sound is a big improvement to me. i never had a problem with the high pitching sound of the 915d2, but the 917d2 sounds so much better to me. best thing for me was the feel of the face. it feels slightly softer.

weird thing was, that the face at adress looked a bit shut. don't know why. never had that feeling with my 915d2.

can't tell if it was longer or the dispersion tighter. only hit ten shots with it

my rep said he will have it to demo next week in new york

Driver- TITLEIST TSr1 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CALLAWAY Jaws Raw Black SF 95
Putter- SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 9.5

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X