Rory McIlroy: "I'll watch the Olympics, but probably not golf. I'll watch track and field, swimming,

I hope Spieth, McIlroy, DJ and Day are happy they missed out on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Idiots.

Yeah it's not every day you can get mugged, catch an exotic virus, and play a mediocre golf course all in the same place.

What is it with you lot...all you do is blah blah blah - boo-hoo Negative Nancy's...trying to piss on the parade, I guess.

Hey, I had bacterial Meningitis and Lymes disease at the same time and I live right by Joe (I'm assuming). Given the choice, I'd probably try out just about any other illness combo that didn't mean certain death.

Hazeltine has plenty of wood-ticks. Better call off the Ryder Cup. Played it last week and found one on my leg. Lymes could ruin a golfers career quite easily.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OWGR women's #1,2,3,4 are all going on the women's side...I guess the "Vika" doesn't even scare these all very young ladies as opposed to the men even though as females I suspect it could be more damaging to them than to the dudes.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Canada just had a baby born with Zika the other day.

The fact that it's newsworthy means it isn't happening a lot. But still people keep trivializing it like it's nothing. There's risks with anything i get that , but the other school of thought is "well since there's risk with everything, you should just subjugate yourself to any amount of risk all the time"

I don't blame guys for not going if they didn't want to, or didn't comprehend at the time the severity. The risks of Rio in general, the panic about Zika, and just the overall ridiculousness of an event that pillages and plunders cities dumb enough to host it doesn't merit my sadness over guys not being there.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The fact that it's newsworthy means it isn't happening a lot. But still people keep trivializing it like it's nothing. There's risks with anything i get that , but the other school of thought is "well since there's risk with everything, you should just subjugate yourself to any amount of risk all the time"

I don't blame guys for not going if they didn't want to, or didn't comprehend at the time the severity. The risks of Rio in general, the panic about Zika, and just the overall ridiculousness of an event that pillages and plunders cities dumb enough to host it doesn't merit my sadness over guys not being there.

So, he didnt want to go for zika.

Fine.

But why did he devalue the commitment of Justin, Stenson, and all the other pros who made the effort and took the risk.

"McIlroy, when asked which events at Rio he would watch, said: “Probably events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters.”"

I assume you agree this is completely db?

I can understand being a bit afraid of being robbed or mugged, but for the most part, you just stay away from certain parts of the city... like any major city. If the Olympics had been awarded to Chicago, you wouldn't be spending your nights out frequenting the South side.

Using Zika as an excuse was just weak. None of the groundskeepers at the golf course who had been working there for a couple years ever caught Zika. It's winter time in Rio. Spray some repellant on. It's not like these guys don't play all over the world. Are they going to boycott the Doral WGC event when it moves to Mexico City? I mean, if you used Zika as an excuse, you'll probably use Mt Fuji as an excuse not to go to Japan. Mt Fuji has erupted 16 times since the 700's, but hasn't had an eruption since 1707. Way overdue. Boycott Tokyo. It's ridiculous. At least Rory finally said what he really thought of the whole thing and stopped hiding behind flimsy excuses. If you don't want to play, just say why.

Fine.

But why did he devalue the commitment of Justin, Stenson, and all the other pros who made the effort and took the risk.

"McIlroy, when asked which events at Rio he would watch, said: “Probably events like track and field, swimming, diving, the stuff that matters.”"

Yes it was a dumb comment to mock those that went. In agreement

I'm just tired of reading over and over how these guys are independent contractors whenever fans don't care about an event, but now for the olympics they have some kind of obligation to go. The IOC relies on the perceived importance of the Olympics to abuse cities

As far as Zika, hopefully it is overblown. Hopefully no one gets it. But it is also a tired argument to hear about how people who frankly, use the olympics to bolster their name because it is the main source of their celebrity are such pillars of toughness, and how golfers who have it made and don't feel like going are cowards. The Olympics are not some beacon of altruism. It's a commercial event that is run by money. If there was any additional threat or unknown element to a potential threat, i have zero issue with them saying i'll pass. There's risk in everything i get it, but we also do our best to mitigate risk within reason

That Irish boxer who called out Rory? Put 200M in his pocket and have him already be a globally known name and see if he goes. Good for him for making a name for himself of Rory's back, maybe he can send Rory a thank you for helping him bolster his social media cred

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

OWGR women's #1,2,3,4 are all going on the women's side...I guess the "Vika" doesn't even scare these all very young ladies as opposed to the men even though as females I suspect it could be more damaging to them than to the dudes.

Uninformed Joe! Zika is different for men vs women. They know that a week or two after symptoms cleared that women can get pregnant without risk to unborn. For men they have no solid data for how long after symptoms clear that they could pass it to their partners and pose risk.

If you are of the age and in a relationship where you may be having children in the next year or two, I wouldn't think it's worth the risk for a guy (Rory, Jordan, Adam etc).

I can understand being a bit afraid of being robbed or mugged, but for the most part, you just stay away from certain parts of the city... like any major city. If the Olympics had been awarded to Chicago, you wouldn't be spending your nights out frequenting the South side.

Using Zika as an excuse was just weak. None of the groundskeepers at the golf course who had been working there for a couple years ever caught Zika. It's winter time in Rio. Spray some repellant on. It's not like these guys don't play all over the world. Are they going to boycott the Doral WGC event when it moves to Mexico City? I mean, if you used Zika as an excuse, you'll probably use Mt Fuji as an excuse not to go to Japan. Mt Fuji has erupted 16 times since the 700's, but hasn't had an eruption since 1707. Way overdue. Boycott Tokyo. It's ridiculous. At least Rory finally said what he really thought of the whole thing and stopped hiding behind flimsy excuses. If you don't want to play, just say why.

How do you know that no groundskeeper caught zika in Rio? Who said and how can it be trusted? Also just because it's winter doesn't mean the temperatures aren't adequate for mosquito activity, because they are.

As for Rory's choice of words "...the ones that matter" it was stupid to say and but the badgering and redundant questions from the media I supposed can do that to a guy.

McIlroy, Spieth, Day, Johnson, and Scott all look like "lil' girls". They have gone down several notches in stature. Man up!

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

McIlroy, Spieth, Day, Johnson, and Scott all look like "lil' girls". They have gone down several notches in stature. Man up!

I don't know about that, but i'd be willing to bet they regret their decision not to go. You can't be a competitive person and not want to be a part of that tournament after watching it. Also rubbing elbows with the Phelps and Bolts of the world in that element is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I don't blame them as much as the way they managed qualifying for the event (professional world rankings). It didn't make playing in the Olympics any different than the Firestone Invitational, thus withdrawing didn't seem like a big deal. A qualifier change is needed to provide value to making an Olympic team.

That said, the Zika virus impact has been over exaggerated by the fear inducing media. I'm shocked by the lack of transparency and advice these guys received on the topic before they made their decision to drop out.

I don't blame them as much as the way they managed qualifying for the event (professional world rankings). It didn't make playing in the Olympics any different than the Firestone Invitational, thus withdrawing didn't seem like a big deal. A qualifier change is needed to provide value to making an Olympic team.

That said, the Zika virus impact has been over exaggerated by the fear inducing media. I'm shocked by the lack of transparency and advice these guys received on the topic before they made their decision to drop out.

Wasn't the WHO recommending the games be postponed?

Fine.

Yes it was a dumb comment to mock those that went. In agreement

I'm just tired of reading over and over how these guys are independent contractors whenever fans don't care about an event, but now for the olympics they have some kind of obligation to go. The IOC relies on the perceived importance of the Olympics to abuse cities

As far as Zika, hopefully it is overblown. Hopefully no one gets it. But it is also a tired argument to hear about how people who frankly, use the olympics to bolster their name because it is the main source of their celebrity are such pillars of toughness, and how golfers who have it made and don't feel like going are cowards. The Olympics are not some beacon of altruism. It's a commercial event that is run by money. If there was any additional threat or unknown element to a potential threat, i have zero issue with them saying i'll pass. There's risk in everything i get it, but we also do our best to mitigate risk within reason

That Irish boxer who called out Rory? Put 200M in his pocket and have him already be a globally known name and see if he goes. Good for him for making a name for himself of Rory's back, maybe he can send Rory a thank you for helping him bolster his social media cred

This ^^^ exactly.

At the now infamous Rory media session, he was more or less responding in frustration to the head of the Euro PGA's quip about how none of the groundskeepers have gotten Zika. So now Rory gets pilloried for bailing because of Zika.

#1, what was he supposed to say? Rio's a shithole and if there's even the tiniest chance I end up laying on a floor with a gun to my head (like Ryan Lochte and his family last night--which the IOC initially denied!!!) it's not worth me going. Then he gets pilloried for saying that instead of getting ripped for blaming Zika which the groundskeepers making $2/hour are man enough to shrug off, rather than--oh I don't know--desperate enough to ignore.

#2, at the time he bailed Zika was looking a lot worse than it does now. Blame the media if you want, but (and apologies for repeating myself from 10+ pages ago) I have a cousin there as a coach for a women's sport in which the Olympics are obviously the lifelong pinnacle--unlike golf which has had hundreds of majors and dozens of Ryder Cups since the 1904 Olympics. At the time they had to commit to going, under the advice of some very knowledge doctors, my cousin and his fiance had their sperm and eggs frozen as there was some concern that Zika would lead to life long fertility problems. So yeah, just a little mosquito bite, nothing to be legitimately concerned about.

Sorry to drag a non-Olympic sport into it, but I'm sure some of you have seen the bit about Bernie Ecclestone's mother in law being kidnapped for ransom. Those people are billionaires many times over and they couldn't spend enough to guarantee their safety. You all need to try a little harder to look at the world through Rory's eyes. He's a target. The women golfers folks like Joe85 hold up as an example of the toughness that Rory lacks simply aren't.

Their decision not to go has no bearing at all what I think of them. And it certainly has nothing to do about being a man.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Mcllroy's statement in regard to "watching only the sports that matter"

is demeaing and shows a lack of respect for the golfers that went and would have been

better kept to himself. It kinda shows the immaturity that keeps him from being the best since Tiger.

My opinion at least.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

Not if they don't plan to have babies.

The guys that went aren't wrong and the guys that stayed home aren't wrong. They just made their own decisions about what matters to them. Why all the moral outrage? This is all kinda silly.

I totally agree. Why do some people think they know what's best for Rory and the others? Pathetic.

is demeaing and shows a lack of respect for the golfers that went and would have been

better kept to himself. It kinda shows the immaturity that keeps him from being the best since Tiger.

My opinion at least.

Im a fan of Rors, but agreed. Something just not quite right there.

The problem with some of the comments here and other threads is the lack of knowledge. Being infected the flu like symptoms only last about a week. However, if a future child is or could be involved, different story. Also, just a few days before games started Ecclestone from formula 1 racing was asked to pay millions in ransom for his mother in law...just minutes from where the games were being held. It ended well and the culprits were basically poor kids. The bad stuff reported has been going on for years.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

We are supposed to be FREE to say and do what ever we decide is right/legal.

But, then, we have to live with the Social Media Consequences of how others judge our actions. It is a no-win situation.

I don't really care who went to the Olympics, and who won what, and who got selfies taken with who.

It is just another sports event used to sell commercials. Entertain me or I will flip to something else.

So Rory is gonna stay home and watch men in Speedos jump off a diving board while Ireland only has one silver medal to show for itself.

Yes, the "sports that matter".

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

My opinion at least.

And you are entitled to your opinion. But I think you are missing the big picture.

Rory is not immature, he is actually very mature. But he is someone who is refreshingly frank and honest in interviews, unlike so many clones who give pre-packaged media-trained vacuous replies along with a passage from the Bible to every question. I hate those guys.

The Olympics has not caught the attention of the golf world as much as it could have. A lot of the pros and fans don't think it should be there, and many, including myself, barely watched it. Like Rory, I see The Olympics as being for athletics, swimming, cycling and so on and I don't think tennis or football (soccer) should be there either.

As for being the best since Tiger, I think it is his putting rather than his attitude to The Olympics which probably matters more.

TM Stealth, 10.5, HZRDUS Red 65 S
Titleist TSi2, 16.5 fairway, Oban Devotion 75, S
Titleist TSi2, 21 utility, Tensei 75, S
Mizuno 923 Forged, KBS $-Taper lite S

Vokey 50, 56, 60, KBS Tour V S
Kronos Metronome

Rory trying to save some face? He's been awfully quiet during the Olympics.

7js2buX.png

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +