2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

How much did getting a range finder improve your game?

I often find myself on Par 5's (even 4's) staring down a shot from what I can only tell by my eyes is somewhere between 210-250 yards away. I generally just default to my hybrid so I don't overshoot, just in case. I haven't put out for a range finder yet because I'm just not sure it would make a huge difference, all things equal. I feel like though if I knew exactly distances, my % of greens hit (or at least only needing to chip on) would go much higher.

Another example are holes which dogleg. None of the courses I play give distance to the leg, so I'm often guessing (wrongly) how far it is, unless I've played the hole a few times and can remember which clubs I used in the past.

When you got a RFer, did you feel more in control of your game?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now know exactly how badly I hit my clubs.

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

Wouldn't say more control, but more confident and playing quicker, especially on courses you haven't played. You can ping bunkers, trees, and hazards to get distances rather than guessing. This really helps me from a strategy standpoint. Some architects use subtle techniques to distort distance to the naked eye, so having a RF can quickly help you feel confident in the yardage even if it doesn't look right.

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

getting exact distance to the pin has been more of a mental thing for me. I had a little clip on device that gave me middle pin, but I have bad depth perception, and on course I am not familiar with, can be tough to tell how deep a green is. Also, not every place uses color coded flags for front/middle/back.

I love getting the jolt, and knowing exactly how far i need to hit the ball. I am not sure I would have ever paid full price, but the Prime Day deal made it a no brainer, very happy with it.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

when I bought bushnell 1600 tournament edition laser 8yrs ago - it was the best $ I spent for golf

when I bought bushnell neo xs watch - that became the best $ I spent for golf

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

I may not bee good enough to hit exact distances but I wear a watch and have a rangefinder. We have tons of shots where the greens are elevated so you are hitting into greens that really deep front to back. You could have 150 or 190 depending on pin placement. I always like my watch for front and back and use the Leupold for exact. That way if I know the pin is at 160 and the back of the green is at 165, Make sure my miss isn't long. And the rangefinder is great for hazards and trouble. I would say I shoot better scores with the rangefinder. Just because it helps me be more thoughtful and strategic in my planning. Not saying I am good enough to hit my shot 143.2 yards, but helps me mentally and practicing wedge shots. It helps dial in those distances.

Thanks all. Money is tight right now for me, due to paying my pro for lessons, but I think this is a much needed Xmas gift to myself :D

It'll be nice to finally know what club I really need, and not just take a wild guess based on the fact some about half way between the 200 yard stick, and the 150 yard stick. Will be just as nice on par 3 when the pin starts getting moved around week to week.

Now the real question: Which is the best affordable RFer? I've heard Bushnell are good (make some of the best optics for rifles) and Leo's.

I got my first rangefinder several years back when I was playing frequently and wanted more accuracy than GPS. It helped me go down from a 9 to a 6.6 (lowest cap I've ever been). It's VERY nice to know exact distance to pins if you have decent distance control. When you know the distance, you just have to focus on not missing it left or right.

These days, after basically not playing last few years, it's more of a tool that reminds me how inconsistent I am and exactly how badly I messed up a shot :) It's an awesome feeling to know exact distance, have it fit a club distance perfectly, then catch it a little fat and watch it track right towards the pin and come up 10 yards short!!! Lol

I can tell you it will help MUCH more with scoring clubs than with standing 210-250 out. Unless you're ridiculously good with hybrids and fairways, at that point a GPS to the center of the green is just as good.

In terms of doglegs, you can use a laser to shoot a tree but again, GPS is often easier. There are apps now that just allow you to point on the screen and it'll give you distance. Helps with hazards, doglegs, even good for if you can tell approx where the flag is on the green.

So, really be honest with yourself and think about if you have the game to make it a really worthwhile investment. A good GPS app on your phone is around $2 (skydroid), so maybe start there and see if you think getting slightly more accurate is worth the money.

There is one way a rangefinder can improve my game. There's a guy I play with sometimes who uses a GPS app on his ginormous "Phablet" phone before every shot. I'm about to buy him a laser and tell him to cut it out with the unholstering, unscreenlocking, menu scrolling futzing about with the damn phone. That would improve MY game immensely!?

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

There is one way a rangefinder can improve my game. There's a guy I play with sometimes who uses a GPS app on his ginormous "Phablet" phone before every shot. I'm about to buy him a laser and tell him to cut it out with the unholstering, unscreenlocking, menu scrolling futzing about with the damn phone. That would improve MY game immensely!

Yeah, my main issue is how long that takes. I've used free GPS tracking before with real sketchy results. Like you said... Turn screen on, unlock, stand a certain way so you can see it without sun glaring down making screen hard to see... click around a bit... Yeah takes a minute or two. I like the idea of just point and click.

I can give the $2 app a try. I'm guessing those free ones are not really accurate, or the servers are overloaded on Sat/sun with tons of people using it, so it's slow.

I think it's a noticeable difference that probably adds up to the few Strokes around. Just having complete confidence in your yardages should mean a lot. Also playing from positions you're not used to or playing tracks you don't know very well, allows you to shoot yardages to a lot of different things around a given hole which can help a lot. You can shoot to hazards and obstacles, shoot to layup locations and so on. And it's super fast, you can shoot multiple Targets in an instant rather than having to look for markers and walk off distances. Allows you more time to focus on the shot and no more second guessing. Don't really see how it could do anything but help.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

One things that's always hard to do is find out your actual carry distances (as opposed to carry+roll total) while playing. My laser rangefinder has helped me figure out my driver carry distance.

At my home course there's a 90-degree dogleg right Par 5. While it varies with tee marker placement, most days the laser would say either 192 or 193 yards to carry the nest of bunkers on the inside of the dogleg.

So from experience I know that my carry distance with the driver is about 191 yards. Because if I absolutely hit it on the screws dead straight it carries exactly far enough to plug under the far lip of the last bunker.

You can't put a price on knowledge like that!

I think it's a noticeable difference that probably adds up to the few Strokes around. Just having complete confidence in your yardages should mean a lot. Also playing from positions you're not used to or playing tracks you don't know very well, allows you to shoot yardages to a lot of different things around a given hole which can help a lot. You can shoot to hazards and obstacles, shoot to layup locations and so on. And it's super fast, you can shoot multiple Targets in an instant rather than having to look for markers and walk off distances. Allows you more time to focus on the shot and no more second guessing. Don't really see how it could do anything but help.

Agree. It def. won't hurt. I think it will really help those pitch shots and dog legs.

One things that's always hard to do is find out your actual carry distances (as opposed to carry+roll total) while playing. My laser rangefinder has helped me figure out my driver carry distance.

At my home course there's a 90-degree dogleg right Par 5. While it varies with tee marker placement, most days the laser would say either 192 or 193 yards to carry the nest of bunkers on the inside of the dogleg.

So from experience I know that my carry distance with the driver is about 191 yards. Because if I absolutely hit it on the screws dead straight it carries exactly far enough to plug under the far lip of the last bunker.

You can't put a price on knowledge like that!

Haha. I recently got a hold of one on a straight par 5, about 493 to the pin from the tees. When I found my ball on the fairway, I was right in line with the 250 to the pin marker. That's about the only useful info I've gotten on the course lately. Otherwise I know my 7i goes somewhat shorter than 175 roll out due to being what looks to be 10-20 yards short of the 175 flag at the range...

So I was thinking the Tour V3 by Bushnell is a decent enough choice at $200 new? Can these be gotten off ebay used if somebody upgrades?

There's also this weird one called TecTecTec VRPro500 that got good reviews online, and is less expensive.

For what it's worth I have had a Tour V3 for a couple years now. Works fine, no issues. Goes through a lithium battery every 30, 40, 50 rounds or so.

Before that I got about 10-11 years out of a Bushnell Medalist. It still works but eventually got squirrely about picking up flag sticks if they didn't have reflectors on them. I think it collected enough dirt, scratches and sweat stains own yet to make the optics not as clear as they originally were. I tend to carry it without the case so probably was lucky to get 1000 rounds without problems

I still take the old Medalist when traveling. It looks so shagged out but I figure nobody would steal it out of my luggage!

I didnt think that rangefinders were worth it at first so I sold my first one and then played at event and the course had the 150 poles in crazy distances. The first couple of holes were 150 so me and my playing partners assumed that was the distance. Rest of the round the pole could be anywhere from 80-175 yds and messed up gauge on distance.

Any device that provides distances makes a huge difference if you're only working from yardage plates now.

For me, the GPS front/middle/back of a green is way more important than a rangefinder.

Short hitter and very rarely hitting wedges into par-4s. Had skycaddie for several seasons, had problems with readings every fall starting in September. Subscribing to fewer satellites ??? Got a Leupold and now get exact yardages and never question how accurate they are, but still prefer to have the distances marked to hazards, mark my shot function, etc. on GPS systems.

I don't think it has changed my scores at all. If I hit a shot poorly, it's still my fault. It has increased the convenience of determining distances though. I was a bigtime holdout on getting one of these devices but went ahead with a watch for this season. I really only did this because my home course pulled out the 150-yard stakes and stopped maintaining the sprinklerhead markers, half of which are broken or missing now. I think the watch speeds up play vs. the other devices because all you have to do is look at it and not putz around with the rangefinder or a phone app. The only downside of the watch to me is that you have to make sure it's 100% charged before every round or it won't last, and it does take a long time to charge. Mine is a SkyCaddie.

It has absolutely helped me play more precise golf, which in turn has lowered my scores. Knowing exact distances to the flag allows you to be more confident and ultimately hit approach shots (at least with short irons and wedges) closer. For example, if the flag was in the front or back, I never knew exactly how far I had to the hole without my rangefinder (I don't think I ever played a course where I had precise pin charts). Closer proximity to the hole undoubtedly increases your chances of making putts.

To me, you basically answered the question for yourself when you referenced doglegs. That alone has helped me save shots, as it allows me to be aggressive without going through the fairway. As another poster mentioned, they are very helpful when laying up past or in front of hazards.

If you are on the fence about getting one, I would highly encourage you to get one. I wish I had gotten one sooner. To me, they're essential if you don't have accurate yardage books.

Now the real question: Which is the best affordable RFer? I've heard Bushnell are good (make some of the best optics for rifles) and Leo's.

I just bought a Caddytek Caddyview V2 with Slope off Amazon for $164 which included shipping. Used it all last week and am very impressed with its size, weight and just how quickly it locks on the pin in what they call "Pinseeker" mode faster than the Bushnell it replaced!). I've had mixed results with Bushnell. My "ancient" Compact Pro 600 is/was a tank. My more recent Bushnell Tour V2 with Slope was sent back once within warranty and totally crapped out me a couple of weeks ago. I think it would have cost me as much to get it fixed by Bushnell as it cost me to get this new rangefinder.

It has helped my practice sessions on the range for sure. Nice to know what the exact yardages are to flags.

On the course, it has helped me play quicker and not second guess my club selection. I would probably say it has helped me shoot towards my handicap more times than not because I hit the right club.

As for actual shots...probably generous to say about 3-4 a round. That is to say I am typically unsure what club I should hit on 3 or 4 holes and the range finder has helped me choose a club I did not initially think I would play. Best examples would be whether the yardage is safe to go for a Par 5 in 2. If I see the yardage is a bit of a stretch and there is a lot of trouble around I can better find a good layup shot for a more optimal yardage in. Another would be those holes where you have to take slope into account. My range finder does not calculate slope but I have been better estimating what yardage and club I need with an exact yardage to the hole.

At the end of the day, it is a tool that can help you strategize and play smarter by providing accurate info. That said, one tool will not automatically lower your scores.

Edit: spelling error

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

I think it would be very hard to quantify how much something like this would improve your game, however, I feel satisfied that using GPS has improved my game markedly.

The biggest improvement I have seen is in the short game where I have worked to develop a system of what clubs to hit what distances with less than full swings. Previously, I just played by feel. Not good.

Thanks all. Money is tight right now for me, due to paying my pro for lessons, but I think this is a much needed Xmas gift to myself :D

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-300-Laser-Golf-Rangefinder/dp/B00S6T0ABG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471468012&sr=8-2&keywords=callaway+300

for the money it's a good as it gets.

I have the Garmin Approach unit, but not sure which exact model. I love being able to see yardages to different landmarks. Has helped me tremendously with what I need to carry a lake, ravine, bunker, etc. I will say, sometimes it is fun to play "old school" every now and then. I forgot to replace the batteries in my Garmin when I played with my dad a few weeks ago and had to rely on feel and on course yardages. Ended up shooting 83.