2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Lob wedge and older guys

Mad_Lobber

Played a round a couple days ago with a couple of older guys. They both chipped with a hybrid and tried to run the ball to the hole. The closest they ever got it to was 10 feet. It seemed very hit or miss. I used a lob wedge for everything and got it within 5 feet always. My balls also bounced once and stopped. My question is why do most older guys not use a lob wedge for all chipping?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because blading the ball over the green or chunking it and leaving it short are way too easy. Also, the old guys were probably playing a distance ball, which just doesn't do off a LW what a tour ball does. Old school rule is the get the ball rolling ASAP. The old guys are probably wondering why a kid is only using his LW from everywhere and being happy with 5 feet to the hole when he could be tapping in some or making the chip shots with smarter club selection...

Because blading the ball over the green or chunking it and leaving it short are way too easy. Also, the old guys were probably playing a distance ball, which just doesn't do off a LW what a tour ball does. Old school rule is the get the ball rolling ASAP. The old guys are probably wondering why a kid is only using his LW from everywhere and being happy with 5 feet to the hole when he could be tapping in some or making the chip shots with smarter club selection...

Everyone should own a lob wedge. 99% of us should leave it in the garage. :taunt:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Actually, they were using ProVs and leaving themselves 12 footers. Idk why you are so intimidated by putts within 5 feet, they are pretty easy to hole if you have any skill at all....

Actually, they were using ProVs and leaving themselves 12 footers. Idk why you are so intimidated by putts within 5 feet, they are pretty easy to hole if you have any skill at all....

Hah! My skill was not at question. But thank you for insight! LOL. I guess these old guys were wasting money on the ProV1s for the style of golf they were playing...

"always" using a lob wedge is as wrong as "always" using a hybrid. The lower the loft you use, the larger error tolerance there is on the shot. Also, the lower the landing angle on a shot, the straighter the ball will take that first bounce.

BTW, I bet you don't make more than, oh, 50% of your 5 footers...

"always" using a lob wedge is as wrong as "always" using a hybrid. The lower the loft you use, the larger error tolerance there is on the shot. Also, the lower the landing angle on a shot, the straighter the ball will take that first bounce.

My Futura X5R is money within 7 feet.

The PGA Tour Average is around 50% at 5 feet and nera 85-90% from inside 3 feet. Your an 8 handicap, no offense but I doubt you are better than the PGA Tour Players.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The PGA Tour Average is around 50% at 5 feet and nera 85-90% from inside 3 feet. Your an 8 handicap, no offense but I doubt you are better than the PGA Tour Players.

My number is not continuously updated, like most guys around here. I have shaved around 4 strokes off that this summer, doing a lot of work at the practice greens.

It's 50% from 8ft not 5ft. Most guys on tour are 80% from from 5'. A ton are over that. 75th guy on tour is 82.5%

The answer, for many older guys, is nerves. And as others have pointed out, even if nerves are good, many would use a LW only when required. I am 54, Index of 0.0, and have largely overcome some chipping yips issues that were pretty bad about 4 years ago - through hard work. I have always used many clubs from 6i - LW around the greens. Now I use a LW on short chips/pitches only if I have to with mixed results, and I used it much more when I was younger. Your skills will diminish as you get older and this problem is very common among us old guys. Does this answer your question?

What would you use if you are off the green by 10' with a decent lie and have 80' of relatively flat green to pin? (If you are great with LW, congrats. Just know most would choose less loft and run it.)

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

It's 50% from 8ft not 5ft. Most guys on tour are 80% from from 5'. A ton are over that. 75th guy on tour is 82.5%

My bad

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The answer, for many older guys, is nerves. And as others have pointed out, even if nerves are good, many would use a LW only when required. I am 54, Index of 0.0, and have largely overcome some chipping yips issues that were pretty bad about 4 years ago - through hard work. I have always used many clubs from 6i - LW around the greens. Now I use a LW on short chips/pitches only if I have to with mixed results, and I used it much more when I was younger. Your skills will diminish as you get older and this problem is very common among us old guys. Does this answer your question?

What would you use if you are off the green by 10' with a decent lie and have 80' of relatively flat green to pin? (If you are great with LW, congrats. Just know most would choose less loft and run it.)

Yes, this answered my question. I would also use a lob wedge in that situation.

Yes, this answered my question. I would also use a lob wedge in that situation.

I know some good players that do it as well. Some tour pros do the same. I grew up playing it different and like my chances with what I consider a safer running type shot if it's possible. I use my 60/08 a lot on longer shots up to 90 yards and out of most bunkers. Just put a new set of 3 Vokeys in play and love them. Whatever works.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Played a round a couple days ago with a couple of older guys. They both chipped with a hybrid and tried to run the ball to the hole. The closest they ever got it to was 10 feet. It seemed very hit or miss. I used a lob wedge for everything and got it within 5 feet always. My balls also bounced once and stopped. My question is why do most older guys not use a lob wedge for all chipping?

Occam's Razor says that they chipped this way because they have empirical data that tell them it's the best option for them. You're assuming that if they had chipped with an L wedge that they would have gotten it closer, and there is no reason to believe that if you assume that they are trying to shoot the best number they can. (I might add that if you think they'd be better off doing what you do, you have to admit at least the possibility that YOU would be better off doing what they do!)

Also, and this is CRITICAL to the discussion, were you hitting the same chip shots they were? Old guys spend a lot of the time running the ball up from short of the green. Young guys spend a lot of time chipping from other places that require very different shots.

And finally, I'd urge you to print out a copy of your OP and put it away. When you reach their age, pull it out and read it again, and see if you are still doing the same thing then that you are now; I'm betting you won't be.

I'm 52, so I'm not sure if that fits the definition of "older", but I've pretty much abandoned all use of my lob wedge. I have a set of 3 old Cleveland 588 RTG wedges, at lofts of 51°, 56°, and 60°. The 60° has always felt like it played at a heavier swingweight, but honestly, that's not the factor.

Since going to a bounce-emphasized technique (courtesy of Monte S.), I've gotten really comfortable using the 56° (with a 14° bounce) for just about everything that needs to land softly around the green. The 60° only has like 3 or 4° of bounce, and seems more demanding as far as the quality of the strike. Perhaps I'd go with a 52° and 58° setup once it's time to replace these clubs.

The concept of karma implies you will get a bad case of chipping yips.

Their worst chip with a hybrid is better than their worst chip with the lob wedge, that is why those old guys do that.

My Sunday money foursome has seen me drain stupid long ones with the hybrid chip from off the green too many times to feel smug when they see me pull it out (my tendency is to leave it 6 feet past and my up & down percentage with it this year is 62%). I like it because it gets it up off the turf and bouncing until it hits the green and rolls out - I find it easier to judge the distance when I don't have to worry about the speed of the fairway/fringe. It helps playing nicely maintained courses where there are very few divots, ball marks, and detritus between you and the green.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

The concept of karma implies you will get a bad case of chipping yips.

Their worst chip with a hybrid is better than their worst chip with the lob wedge, that is why those old guys do that.

My Sunday money foursome has seen me drain stupid long ones with the hybrid chip from off the green too many times to feel smug when they see me pull it out (my tendency is to leave it 6 feet past and my up & down percentage with it this year is 62%). I like it because it gets it up off the turf and bouncing until it hits the green and rolls out - I find it easier to judge the distance when I don't have to worry about the speed of the fairway/fringe. It helps playing nicely maintained courses where there are very few divots, ball marks, and detritus between you and the green.

It is also helpful for just in the rough or up against the rough on the fringe. A simple putting motion is all that is needed. It helps to not be one dimensional sometimes.

I have a question for you.

If flying the ball to the hole is more effective than rolling it, are you using your lob wedge and chipping when you are on the green instead of putting? If not, why not?

Nerves aside, a lob wedge requires more practice to use it the way the OP does. It can be very effective regardless of age if you put in the time and have some talent. Jordan Speith comes to mind.

I love mine from 40-80 yds, but don't have the chops to chip with it unless I have to, and then the results vary from really good to "omg, what did I just do?".

I used a lob wedge for everything and got it within 5 feet always. My balls also bounced once and stopped

You should be way better than an 8 Handicap.

I used a lob wedge for everything and got it within 5 feet always. My balls also bounced once and stopped

You should be way better than an 8 Handicap.

Agreed!

If you can chip to 5' every time, no matter what club you use, and if you hole every 5' putt, the only way to be an 8 is to have had a LOT of trouble getting to your chipping.

Everyone should own a lob wedge. 99% of us should leave it in the garage. :taunt:

I still dont get why so many are afraid of a LW.

I'm old and I use my LW occasionally when I'm green side. I use it when I have very little green to work with. Other than that, I use a SW, 8i, 6i, hybrid or whatever I think gives me the best chance to get it close.

Your youth probably has much to do with your one dimensional approach to this shot. Hopefully you don't use your driver off of every tee as well. Experience from playing for many years often teaches us we are more successful as we use different methods. Plus with age comes less distance, lack of confidence, yips etc. Those guys using a hybrid to get to 10 ft may have learned that a 10 ft putt is way better than a 20 ft one.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I still dont get why so many are afraid of a LW.

easiest club in the bag besides driver. completely agree. I see way more people who would benefit from a LW than I do people I think it hurts them. greens are too fast nowadays to have a PW be your stock shot around greens

inb4 someone says they use a 56. that counts too. I play with a decent amount of people that don't use higher lofted wedges than PW and it hurts them greenside.

Why do I get the feeling that the intended definition of "old guy" in this thread is somewhere around 38?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x